Sponsored by:

Transform the air matic to the air suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Ducky,

Thanks for looking into this. Of course the biggest complaint about this car performance wise is the handling and this seems to be a viable option. One worth exploring at least.

I was thinking more a long the lines of what would typically be the spring rates. Right now we have zero control except for the factory settings. I was asking how you change the psi in the bags and if it was adjustable while in the car.

Am I understanding it correctly? You could take a Bilstein or Koni adjustable shock and just bolt an air bladder to it?

I remember reading that in the STAR computer you had an option to specify "Steel suspsion" or airmatic. I don't think anyone went anywhere with this or if they did, they didn't report back.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moped
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Ducky

Here is some real basic AirMatic Information, It is a pretty good read and will give you an idea of the depth of engineering involved. By far the largest complaint is a blown strut that can be fixed for $399. The vast majority here have warranties that cover repairs.
BTW AirMatic controls the Headlights too, the electronic side is way more than a warning light.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219%20HO%20SAS%20(ACB-ICC)%2007-31-02.pdf
Thanks I will look at it tonight, with respect to the headlights. I believe most of the leveling is done by a separate level both front and rear.

We disabled it on a friends car and adjusted the headlights normally, but I know the bagged VW's with HID's worked as normal.

Originally Posted by Luke_M
I was thinking more a long the lines of what would typically be the spring rates. Right now we have zero control except for the factory settings. I was asking how you change the psi in the bags and if it was adjustable while in the car.

Am I understanding it correctly? You could take a Bilstein or Koni adjustable shock and just bolt an air bladder to it?
Yes, depending on your setup, you will have control in the car.

I used a digital easy street controller and I molded it into my sunglass holder.

You can see control for all for corners as well as auto height buttons and All Up/ All down. All four corner control requires 8 valves, otherwise you would only have front/back control.

The more expensive digital options allow for several preset heights and more overall control. It can either be done by PSI or by a system like accuride that uses levelers on each corner.

As for the bag, it works better with a coilover as they make adapters to fit on the perch, but a koni/ bilstein can be used. Koni will also make custom lengths.

I can't find my pictures from my older setup, but it basically slipped over like a spring.

Last edited by DuckyAMG; 05-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Makes sense. I turned an E30 coil-over into an E36 with a similar method except we strictly used steel springs obviously.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Moped
Yacht Master

What travel and on the fly height adjustment can you expect from the lower links?
Looks like +/- 20mm, that's not that much if you have it set pretty low.

The rear looks interesting.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by DuckyAMG
Yacht Master

What travel and on the fly height adjustment can you expect from the lower links?
Looks like +/- 20mm, that's not that much if you have it set pretty low.

The rear looks interesting.
Doing a "washer" or "links" just nets same travel, they do not expand the range, the values will be the same as in the speed table depicted in the MB PDF

The most correct way to control the system is a "ELM" or digital electronic lowering module, there are 3 or 4 companies that make them Renn Tech, Carrlson, Kleenman, Brabus. The newest V4.0 from RT is wireless and possibly the best yet. I think the RT ELM gives 50mm don't quote me on that.

http://www.kleemann.dk/Performance/H...uspension.aspx
http://www.carlsson.de/carlsson/en/p...Suspension.php

Install instructions for Renn Tech
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/support_files/mb_lm.pdf

Then comes bushings, toe links, crash bolts, and about a hour and a half date with Hunter.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Moped
Thanks for the links, I've seen some posts of dealerships installing these modules.

Are these detectable by a dealership (other then visible height) or is there a way to revert to the OEM coding for service work?

The airmatic seems interesting in that the lower it goes, the stiffer the suspension is because of the chambers. The aftermarket bags that I have used can have separate bellows, but there is no way to switch between the two. For aftermarket bags, the less air the lower and softer the ride is... That's the advantage over coils because you can ride super low on a highway and it's really comfy, you just have to remember to raise it for offramps.

On that note, I did see one of the adjustable airmatic link companies boast that the lower stance is better for handling because of the lower center of gravity. This is true to an extent, but a suspension still needs full articulation (travel) and the control arms can work against the handling if the car is too low.

It's nice that there are some options and replacements are available, but I still hope to explore full replacement.

Cheers,
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM

W211
i like your modification taste,

can i know what bags and suspension do you use in this project?
i am looking for the right suspension and bags for my w211 right now , and how was your ridee with the bags?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM

W211
air sus and performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn8XKR4Q9CU
Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 AM

W211
W211

Have any links where I can get this kit? I have an 04 E500 with airmatic but I want something fully adjustable