W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow off valves

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Blow off valves

would it be possible to replace the two super charger shut off Valves (A1131400260) with Atmospheric Valves dump valves.

I have not seen it done on super charged engines and I have only fitted them on turbo charged engines in the past.

Could this be possible without causing any running or reliability problems.

I just want thought on any possible damage that might be caused before I go ahead and try.

NO performance gains to be had just noise, so wont be to everyones taste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SS-BL...#ht_1140wt_939
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
would it be possible to replace the two super charger shut off Valves (A1131400260) with Atmospheric Valves dump valves.

I have not seen it done on super charged engines and I have only fitted them on turbo charged engines in the past.

Could this be possible without causing any running or reliability problems.

I just want thought on any possible damage that might be caused before I go ahead and try.

NO performance gains to be had just noise, so wont be to everyones taste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SS-BL...#ht_1140wt_939
Looks like a knock off of the HKS Sequential BOV. Be honest I've heard better ones. I have the HKS one on my Turbo Integra Type R and it is more of a whistle then a PSSHHHH. Also the round mount sucks cause you have to use a C clip snap ring to install it and I've had problems with it popping off at higher boost levels. I'd get the Greddy Type R. Sounds awesome and has a huge dump opening for higher boost levels.

Last edited by NSX2NV; 02-26-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by NSX2NV
Looks like a knock off of the HKS Sequential BOV. Be honest I've heard better ones. I have the HKS one on my Turbo Integra Type R and it is more of a whistle then a PSSHHHH. Also the round mount sucks cause you have to use a C clip snap ring to install it and I've had problems with it popping off at higher boost levels. I'd get the Greddy Type R. Sounds awesome and has a huge dump opening for higher boost levels.

THANKS but what about the E55k? No I would not use the mount type like I mentioned above, I would use one that matches the exact size diameter of the existing outlets to the shut off valves, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWIN-PISTON-DU...d#ht_599wt_973

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 02-26-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current: 2004 E55 Sold:350zTT
I imagine this would cause issues with your timing from the ecu
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
I think you are talking about the secondary air injection valves on the front of the engine on both sides of the supercharger. The only supercharger system that uses a bypass valve to dump boost is a centrifugal system like a vortech or paxton. Positive displacement blowers like the twin screw or roots use the throttle body at the inlet of the supercharger and do not need them. There is not a boost surge when you let off the throttle.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Most manufacturers do use a bypass valve but the positive displacement units do not typically vent to the atmosphere like a turbo or centrifugal system. On a positive displacement blower, the bypass allows the air to bypass the blower thus enabling the supercharger to basically free spin and will not create boost with the valve open. Since it can't make boost when the bypass valve is open, the supercharger only uses a few hp to turn the blower. This dramatically helps the MPG. Under boost the positive displacement blowers use a lot of hp to drive. When the throttle is opened, it triggers the vacuum actuated bypass valve to close and enables the engine to see boost.

The Mercedes superchargers use electronic clutches on the snout of the superchargers so they are only operating when you open the throttle enough for the sensor to trigger the supercharger clutch to activate. I'd imagine using this method is for MPG, extending supercharger and engine life, as well as protecting the engine from damage. It will increase MPG by disconnecting the blower so the engine will not have to use hp to turn the blower under vacuum conditions. It will increase the life of the supercharger and engine since they will only be under under load at WOT driving which is less than a few percent of the entire engine's life. It also gives the engineers a way to control the boost if the engine management system senses IAT's that are too high for safe operation.

Here is some information on both major positive displacement supercharger manufacturers. It list the bypass valve as part of the supercharger assembly:

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1244
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=79

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/v855lkom...-v8-kompressor
Old 02-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Yeah dont vent to atmosphere via blow off valve. The the 55k comes with a bypass valve on the bottom of the throttle body housing. MBZ call is a "bypass valve actuator". Its like a mini throttle body and functions in a similar way.

In a 55k, you need to vent the air after the supercharger.Then circulate the air before the supercharger, but after the throttle body. Thats why the BVA is placed where it is.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 02-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Most manufacturers do use a bypass valve but the positive displacement units do not typically vent to the atmosphere like a turbo or centrifugal system. On a positive displacement blower, the bypass allows the air to bypass the blower thus enabling the supercharger to basically free spin and will not create boost with the valve open. Since it can't make boost when the bypass valve is open, the supercharger only uses a few hp to turn the blower. This dramatically helps the MPG. Under boost the positive displacement blowers use a lot of hp to drive. When the throttle is opened, it triggers the vacuum actuated bypass valve to close and enables the engine to see boost.

The Mercedes superchargers use electronic clutches on the snout of the superchargers so they are only operating when you open the throttle enough for the sensor to trigger the supercharger clutch to activate. I'd imagine using this method is for MPG, extending supercharger and engine life, as well as protecting the engine from damage. It will increase MPG by disconnecting the blower so the engine will not have to use hp to turn the blower under vacuum conditions. It will increase the life of the supercharger and engine since they will only be under under load at WOT driving which is less than a few percent of the entire engine's life. It also gives the engineers a way to control the boost if the engine management system senses IAT's that are too high for safe operation.

Here is some information on both major positive displacement supercharger manufacturers. It list the bypass valve as part of the supercharger assembly:

http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1244
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=79

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/v855lkom...-v8-kompressor
thank you very interesting info
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Prius plug in
Originally Posted by NSX2NV

Turbo ITR FTW ........ I miss my Turbo ITR !!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I have never had issues with my hks ssqv comin off under boost, not sure how it does past 30 psi as that is about all the more I ever ran. I got rid of it because it is a gigantic pain to take off, the greddy is much easier
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
Originally Posted by C_Thru
Turbo ITR FTW ........ I miss my Turbo ITR !!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
So putting them on and recirculating will not work eh? I have a greddy type s on my eclipse that sounds great but I hear the hks ssqv is nice too.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Yeah dont vent to atmosphere via blow off valve. The the 55k comes with a bypass valve on the bottom of the throttle body housing. MBZ call is a "bypass valve actuator". Its like a mini throttle body and functions in a similar way.

In a 55k, you need to vent the air after the supercharger.Then circulate the air before the supercharger, but after the throttle body. Thats why the BVA is placed where it is.

thanks for the info............so its basically not possible to achieve using the front supercharger outlets.