Sponsored by:

My Blown Motor Story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
My motor is also still intact and running just fine...Well minus the actual vibration problem that's been there since b4 the tune....
Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by TopGun32
However.. I drive my car with OUT a tune for anothe 18 months with absolute no problem.. other than having timing pulled like crazy and my by pass valve robbing boost.... and the car ran rich.

running a stock tune with 178 mm pulley only.. should not blow up your engine.. but then again.. that was my case.
Ditto...My car with stock tune and 178mm pulley actually ran slower at the track...ecu pulled timing and dumped fuel...so I don't see how a stock tune can can blow a motor even if its heavily modified.

You would think MB would have some sort of fail safe to prevent overboost and save our motors...hence the reason we get our ecu's tuned to remove that fail safe :P.

Sorry to hear about your issues aleks. Haven't been on the board for months...hope all is well.

BTW, I think I might be selling the beast...anyone interested...please PM me ?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
From what I've heard the ECU can pull timing up to 12 degrees. If it needs to pull more than 12 degrees you are SOL
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by rberga1
Ditto...My car with stock tune and 178mm pulley actually ran slower at the track...ecu pulled timing and dumped fuel...so I don't see how a stock tune can can blow a motor even if its heavily modified.

You would think MB would have some sort of fail safe to prevent overboost and save our motors...
You'd think that... and you'd be right. The s/c bypass valve on M113K motors bleeds excess boost when they're running a stock tune - which is exactly why you noticed the performance you did with the larger CP paired with the stock tune. Documented with every 55K that throws on a big ol' crank pulley but retains the stock tune.

Consequently, I'm not sure how Aleks' motor would've failed in the manner described had it been running a stock tune. One would presume it at least had to have a box tune eliminating the factory bypass valve operation... right?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Hey Alex, I seriously have to clear something up. I believe you were talking about me when you said that Jerry told another member that it was due to a clogged oil line. It was you and I that were PMing last night. So I can only assume it was me you were talking about. I made a mistake when I asked you if that was your car. You asked me if that is what Jerry said but I went to bed and never answered you back. Jerry told me that the engine that blew was due to a clogged oil return from some liquid gasket. That is true, but it was not your car. Jerry has admitted openly that it was the issue with that motor but I was incorrect in thinking it was yours that is why I asked because I was not sure. I just wanted to clear that part of this thread up. The rest of your claims I have no knowledg about so I can not comment. I just did not want misinformation out there on my part.
On a second note, I am one of the people with a Eurocharged pully, tune and HE. I have never had an issue and have loved the power. I must say all these threads have made me nervous. I appologize to Jake, Jerry and the rest of the EC crew but is human nature. But the more I think about things, I have realized that these guy are good guys. I have been in business for myself for a while now and have another job as well. In the end you have to learn to trust people and if you dont, dont do business with them. I have recieved alot of good information from Mo, Alex, Marcus Frost and many others here. All the info I have recieved I have thought long and hard about. None of them have ever bad mouthed EC to me, they always tell me to do research and do what I think is best. I honeslty think ES has taken good care of me and I fully trust them. Jerry, Jake and Tony have been nothing but helpful. I hear people say well I had my car tuned three times by them. Well how many times have you gone to the Dr. before he figured out you just had a sprain. Nobody knows everything and EC has never claimed to either. I hope the people that are not happy with EC do not judge me. That is what makes the world go around in the end. That is why they make MBs and Kias. Different strokes for different folks. I personally after some thought I will admit and sticking with my EC tune. Thsy have always done me right and until otherwise, I gues some of you will say I am taking a risk. I think that those of us messing with our engines are all taking a chance no matter who the installer, tuner or whatever.
Sorry to be long winded and to the guys that I have PMed with in the past, I hope we can continue to do so as I value your opinions and help!

-Marcus
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Damn man. Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid their products, I don't want my engine blowing up
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
+1
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Don't want to take side but its an interesting thread and I am sure all parties involved meant well at the beginning of this experience.

most mods would be at some sort of risk, especially ones that increase horse power and engine performance.

WHAT IS A SAFE TUNE AND WHAT GUARANTEE DOES IT PROVIDE?

How many times during F1, INDY, touring etc do you see a brand new rebuilt engine after a few laps........ blow up after millions in cash has been spent on development and engineering.

Trail and error / live and learn
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
REALITY CHECK...

Guys
Come one... you take a car from stock and you truly hope that things are going to work and most times they do but guess what the factory gave you a car with set parameters for a reason. You move beyond that and ***** happens. I can only tell you my experience with Jerry and Eurocharged.
I had a stock car and Jerry did a tune on the ECU and the results were not only amazing but didn't have any adverse effect on the car whatsoever. Then last December I decided to add Evosport Headers, a Eurocharged HE and a LET 172 pulley. All of which resulted in increased performance and enjoyment. Knowing Jerry had moved back to Houston I called him up and asked him about a retune since I'd added a number of enhancements since the original tune. Jerry agreed to meet me and flash the ECU with a more appropriate tune for the updates I’d done. We met and Jerry updated the ECU and didn’t ask for anything to do it. Jerry also looked at my pulley as wasn’t happy with the slight flutter in the pulley and said he’d get a me a replacement for the pulley at no charge to me. Jerry and Eurocharged have been nothing short of professional and helpful with anything I’ve thrown their way!
Throwing gasoline on a fire is going to get someone burned…..
Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Received my new 180mm pulley kit today-minus the belt , the piece looks beautiful.
I have mod'd cars for decades now, mostly with success and then there have been a few bummer moments. We all take risks with modifying stock motors. I would always ensure that the cars fuel system is clean, new plugs, filters, etc. Everything must be tip top when pushing these kind of numbers. Not saying the OPs car was not tip top, just a strong tip for others.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Exactly, and you thought that you had some discussions on here
Ya, I'm keeping my nose out of this one, I like Jerry and all the guys at Eurocharged, their shop is just a few doors down from one of my company's facilities and they are always willing to lend a hand or offer advice at track events I have attended. That being said I like Aleks too, he's a great guy, always has a smile on his face and never has a bad thing to say about anything or anyone (even when I bust his ***** about rolling with chrome 22's on his 6 series LOL).

The only thing I am going to add is this, I have posted this numerous times before and I will post it here again, I'm sure most of us modaholics all ready get it but there are always a handful of people that never quite get it. Guys (and girls), if you play you better be ready to pay! Significant mods will cause undue stress on a motor, the more you ask of a motor and the more you push it the shorter the life expectancy is going to be. Now take that modded motor and begin to push it harder, drive it faster and expose it to more harsh conditions and your window just got smaller, sooner or later something has to give, some of us are toying with our engine or drivetrains limits, we're literally driving around a time bomb, it's not a matter of if something is going to break but a matter of WHEN something is going to break...some guys get off easy, they just snap an axle or blow a drive shaft, other guys blow a rear-end or maybe a trans while some guys make the ultimate sacrafice by sacraficing a motor to the mod gods. If my motor blew up today I would not be suprised nor could I really blame any tuner, I might be sad or even mad about it, but not suprised. I have significant mods and constantly drive the car at 110%. On the other hand if the tuner is negligent and produces a part/product that is at some point deemed defective or unsafe and they do not recall the defective/unsafe parts/products or attemp to rectify the issue then some of the burden will fall onto them as it should. We as customers/consumers are putting some faith into the expertise of these tuners and it is not unreasonable to have expectations that the tuner is credible and knows what they are doing. That being said no tuner in their right mind would put their name on a product that might jeopardize their good name or reputation. In my opinion it would be in the best interest of both parties to come to a solution that both parties can live with and may end up benifitting both of them in the long run. Not having all the specific facts on this particular situations I will not even attempt to suggest a solution or to point any fingers.

...Happy Modding
Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by emoving
On a second note, I am one of the people with a Eurocharged pully, tune and HE. I have never had an issue and have loved the power. I must say all these threads have made me nervous. I appologize to Jake, Jerry and the rest of the EC crew but is human nature. But the more I think about things, I have realized that these guy are good guys. I have been in business for myself for a while now and have another job as well. In the end you have to learn to trust people and if you dont, dont do business with them. I have recieved alot of good information from Mo, Alex, Marcus Frost and many others here. All the info I have recieved I have thought long and hard about. None of them have ever bad mouthed EC to me, they always tell me to do research and do what I think is best. I honeslty think ES has taken good care of me and I fully trust them.

-Marcus
Hey Marcus, may be you are right about this situation, but imagine how many people including my self won't buy EC products after two topics came up in a week. It can take a lot of time to earn good reputation and much easier to lose it. I can't say anything about EC, because I don't have their tune, just heat exchanger, but after reading all this stories unfourtanetely I will have to go with Kleemann with my car instead of EC.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM

e55 amg
thanks for information
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
Leaving my ride stock!
LOL I just cant do that and as Jim said, your risk of failure multiplies as you mod and if you bought your car used its even harder to predict since you dont know how the car was broken in or driven.

Jim said it best, you have to pay to play and you have to understand the that loss potential increases.

With that being said, I had some probs with my modded cars and the tuner always took care of me. So its important to pick the right one.

No side taking here since there are always 3 sides to any story, Party A's, Party B's, and the truth.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Karlson
Hey Marcus, may be you are right about this situation, but imagine how many people including my self won't buy EC products after two topics came up in a week. It can take a lot of time to earn good reputation and much easier to lose it. I can't say anything about EC, because I don't have their tune, just heat exchanger, but after reading all this stories unfourtanetely I will have to go with Kleemann with my car instead of EC.
+1 on the reputation issue..... it usually takes a lot of time and hard work to build-up a reputation and maybe only one bad incident to destroy it completely. But hopefully, in this case, we are way passed who's fault it was and will try to get some expert opinions on what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future so that others can benefit.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Finally some sense from Jim and grantwood and others...You keep pushing a motor with mods and running it hard, something will eventually give sometimes. It's not like 55's have a truly "built" bottom end. Awesome engines, but they definitely have limits. I totally understand how much it sucks to blow a motor, went through a couple 351C's in my Mustangs days, but when you shove more and more boost thru your engine even tiny flaws can get magnified quick. Seriously I am sorry about your motor, but the bandwagon jumping on here is ridiculous...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by Vic55
...there are always 3 sides to any story, Party A's, Party B's, and the truth.
true that
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM

E420
Ya, I'm keeping my nose out of this one, I like Jerry and all the guys at Eurocharged, their shop is just a few doors down from one of my company's facilities and they are always willing to lend a hand or offer advice at track events I have attended. That being said I like Aleks too, he's a great guy, always has a smile on his face and never has a bad thing to say about anything or anyone (even when I bust his ***** about rolling with chrome 22's on his 6 series LOL).

The only thing I am going to add is this, I have posted this numerous times before and I will post it here again, I'm sure most of us modaholics all ready get it but there are always a handful of people that never quite get it. Guys (and girls), if you play you better be ready to pay! Significant mods will cause undue stress on a motor, the more you ask of a motor and the more you push it the shorter the life expectancy is going to be. Now take that modded motor and begin to push it harder, drive it faster and expose it to more harsh conditions and your window just got smaller, sooner or later something has to give, some of us are toying with our engine or drivetrains limits, we're literally driving around a time bomb, it's not a matter of if something is going to break but a matter of WHEN something is going to break...some guys get off easy, they just snap an axle or blow a drive shaft, other guys blow a rear-end or maybe a trans while some guys make the ultimate sacrafice by sacraficing a motor to the mod gods. If my motor blew up today I would not be suprised nor could I really blame any tuner, I might be sad or even mad about it, but not suprised. I have significant mods and constantly drive the car at 110%. On the other hand if the tuner is negligent and produces a part/product that is at some point deemed defective or unsafe and they do not recall the defective/unsafe parts/products or attemp to rectify the issue then some of the burden will fall onto them as it should. We as customers/consumers are putting some faith into the expertise of these tuners and it is not unreasonable to have expectations that the tuner is credible and knows what they are doing. That being said no tuner in their right mind would put their name on a product that might jeopardize their good name or reputation. In my opinion it would be in the best interest of both parties to come to a solution that both parties can live with and may end up benifitting both of them in the long run. Not having all the specific facts on this particular situations I will not even attempt to suggest a solution or to point any fingers.

...Happy Modding
X1
Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM

E420
I have used Eurocharged performance parts and tunes on BMW and Mercedes. I have only had a couple minor issues and everyone at Eurocharged has always stood behind their products with me
Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM

04 CLK 500, 07 GSX-R 750, S 550, 09 Jeep GC
Suspension, Intake, and Exhaust.

The safe way to go.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Karlson
Thats unfortunate that you would base your decision on this incident that happened over 8+ months ago, that has recently been brought up again due to a personal vendetta and timing. The ringland issue that happened here has also been noted on the boards a few times on the 03 E55's.

Wish you the best with your car no matter what you end up doing to it, and hope that in the future we can re-earn your trust.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+1 on the reputation issue..... it usually takes a lot of time and hard work to build-up a reputation and maybe only one bad incident to destroy it completely. But hopefully, in this case, we are way passed who's fault it was and will try to get some expert opinions on what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future so that others can benefit.
Well said.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red

...Happy Modding
This may be the most profound statement regarding the modding game ever made. Just watch a motor sports event on any given weekend and you will see hand built motors designed by the brightest in the business specifically for racing applications go Ka-Boom. With the forces involved it's just gonna happen on occasion.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i wasnt going to say anything but after reading all these threads im going to add my .02 i have a eurocharged dyno tune done by tony. it wasnt a large inc like some of these cars but mine is a s/c 3.2 litre v-6. 20+ hp and almost 30 ft/lbs torque, with my mods. this was back in oct. the car runs flawlessly powerful and on the highway gets 26 mph. i feel bad for the guys who have blown engines but isnt that the risk you run when modding?
the guys at e/c have been nothing but helpful to me. i have been a vocal fan of them from the beginning of my mods and still am.
having said all this i now have the dashdaq and zt-2 being installed so i can moniter my car better. i think the statement made was if you dont know what your engine is doing you run the risk of catastrophic failure. i dont want to be another stat.
thanx to everyone who has helped me go faster
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM

SRT-6
Eurocharged is popular with the SRT-6 group and has a good rep. The 3.2 AMG, when heavily modded, seems to have a lean issue at the top of 3rd. (tuned or not) and everyone of us that has paid attention, knows to have a AFR gauge and data logger to be safe. I don't have a tune yet and won't until I get the Zeitronix hooked up to know what's going on. (I bought it already, just not installed) I hope Eurocharged can work through these issues and keep offering tunes. I don't know if I will use Eurocharged or Inmotion when the time comes. But I hope I have the choice.

Les
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by CLK Masters
Suspension, Intake, and Exhaust.

The safe way to go.
Those minor mods you listed are more than enough for them to void your warranty...Be warned, if anything should happen to let go in your motor the tab is on you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My Blown Motor Story