Sponsored by:

Airmatic vist workshop....need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Silver Pewter Metallic
Airmatic vist workshop....need help

I hope someone has the answer to this one because I am lost. The car icon with an up arrow(visit workshop) appeared for the second time tonight. The first time I saw this malfunction was about a month or so ago. It was an extremely cold night when I was driving and all of a sudden the malfunction appeared. I looked at the car and the rear suspension had given out. I parked the car and let it be till morning. The next day I started the car and all was good, like it never happened.....the rear came back up and the malfunction was gone.

Now tonight I was driving home from Philly and it appeared again. I pulled into a rest stop and nothing was noticeably wrong with the suspension. I turned the car off then back on and the malfunction was gone. Once again the car feels fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what it may be that is causing this to happen? I just got AAR links but am scared to install them because of this small issue. I think it may be a relay or sensor but better safe then sorry. Has anyone else experinced this and have an idea to what it is???
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Not sure exactly what is going on but I wouldn't install the links on the car until you figure it out. If it were my car, I would never instal the links and get an ELM or lower through STAR as this is the correct way to lower our cars(IMHO).
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Sounds like you may have a compressor or compressor relay problem.
Dose the car leak down over night?

BTW ELM is the preferred method to control ride hight.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 AM

No the car never lowers itself over night. It is a mystery because everything is normal. Even last night when the malfunction appeared nothing was noticably different. I think it really might be a relay or something. Can't be anything major if not there would be signs. I hope someone else has experienced this so it will make everything easier.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
i got the same icon warning 2 wks ago. Took it to MB dealer and it was a bad wiring harness. Invoice detail by Tech was tested for voltage on compressor, airmatic release valve( showed no voltage going to it) pulled apart and saw black/red wire bad no voltage. Replaced cable wiring harness. Test drove and no icon and ran fine.

Last edited by novae500; 03-22-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Thank you for the tip. Where is te harness located? Was it a big job?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Tech checked the DS front suspsension and took something apart to see the bad harness. I dropped it off and picked it up the next day. done under CPO warranty so no charge. Time was .50 hrs he charged on the invoice.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for your help. Now I have a direction on this.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 AM

2003 E500
dblkikel,

Did you figure out what the problem was? Mine is doing the same thing. The raise and lowering is fine and the car does not lower itself overnight.

I had it hooked up to STAR and this is what it said:

RECOVERY TIME DURING FILLING OF THE CENTRAL RESERVOIR IS TOO LONG
POSSIBLE CAUSES & REMEDY:
- CHECK FOR POSSIBLE LEAK IN PNEUMATIC LINE BETWEEN COMPRESSOR AND CENTRAL UNIT AND CENTRAL RESERVOIR.
- PNEUMATIC TEST OF COMPONENT A9/1 (AIR COMPRESSOR UNIT)

Since I live here in Guam, there are no authorized MB dealers here so this local shop has the monopoly of all European cars here. They really didnt give me a resolution. They want to 'manually' check the air lines and then if nothing, replace the compressor. Please give insight to your scenario. It might be similar to mine. Thanks