W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

***WARNING*** Dishonest Dealings (The $486 tire)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Angry ***WARNING*** Dishonest Dealings (The $486 tire)

I purchased two tires from Mindfreak a.k.a Michael Teloniatis, https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...45-40zr18.html

I paid the asking price of $400.00, and had him ship them to me via FedEx next day air at my expense. I took the tires to discount tire direct today, to have them mounted and balanced, when the first tire was mounted, and inflated, the tech immediately called me over (I was in the bay watching them work on the car) and showed me two bumps on the tire's sidewall, he called them "impact breaks" and said that is normally caused by hitting a pothole or a curb. Basically, the belts in the sidewall are broken, causing the tire to bulge at those spots.

I sent Michael an email, with photos of the bumps on the sidewall, before it was dismounted, and requested 1/2 of my money back, after a few more emails, with additional hi-res pics of the tire, including the DOT sticker that he also has pictures of he has stopped communicating, but not before accusing me of trying to scam him, even though I told him I would send the tire back to him at my expense, so he could see it was the same tire.

I had to order a new tire from Discount Tire at a cost of $286.00 + tax + mounting/balancing.

I've bought and sold dozens of items, on many forums, over many years and my reputation is stellar, if I may say so myself. I am done venting, but as everyone knows, Caveat Emptor, even when dealing with people on a well respected forum. My sense of camaraderie and fairness has been violated, like never before.

To Michael: Shame on you

And as I said in my last e-mail, I will use every legal means to get my $200.00 back, no matter what the cost is to me.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by X2Board
I purchased two tires from Mindfreak a.k.a Michael Teloniatis, https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...45-40zr18.html

I paid the asking price of $400.00, and had him ship them to me via FedEx next day air at my expense. I took the tires to discount tire direct today, to have them mounted and balanced, when the first tire was mounted, and inflated, the tech immediately called me over (I was in the bay watching them work on the car) and showed me two bumps on the tire's sidewall, he called them "impact breaks" and said that is normally caused by hitting a pothole or a curb. Basically, the belts in the sidewall are broken, causing the tire to bulge at those spots.

I sent Michael an email, with photos of the bumps on the sidewall, before it was dismounted, and requested 1/2 of my money back, after a few more emails, with additional hi-res pics of the tire, including the DOT sticker that he also has pictures of he has stopped communicating, but not before accusing me of trying to scam him, even though I told him I would send the tire back to him at my expense, so he could see it was the same tire.

I had to order a new tire from Discount Tire at a cost of $286.00 + tax + mounting/balancing.

I've bought and sold dozens of items, on many forums, over many years and my reputation is stellar, if I may say so myself. I am done venting, but as everyone knows, Caveat Emptor, even when dealing with people on a well respected forum. My sense of camaraderie and fairness has been violated, like never before.

To Michael: Shame on you

And as I said in my last e-mail, I will use every legal means to get my $200.00 back, no matter what the cost is to me.
I have a spare set of rear ps2's off my car if u are interested ill give them to u for dirt just to clear up some garage space. if u want PM me ill send u pix and depths .

TM
Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 PM

SRT-6
Beware of people that post with CAPS LOCKED! Really, what a bad deal. You try to be fair (pay shipping) only to find out you were taken. (I got 3 good used shocks and a bad one) I doubt it was an accident.

Les
Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takes the bus.
Bummer.
I hit a pothole and got two sidewall bulges in my front right vredstein, a week before having them taken off and put on another set of wheels. The mechanic then showed the bulges to me when he dismounted them to remount on another set of wheels. He told me there's a chance of failure, but as long as they seat right on the wheel, you should be fine.
Its been like 3k miles since the dismount and remount. Everything is fine, no vibration or anything. The tires have like 6k miles on them.
So I believe you would have been fine, if they were minor bulges. Perhaps then the shop was trying to make a buck off your mishap.
On the other hand, mindfreak should be held responsible, who knows what could have happened if they were mounted combined with you not knowing about the breaks in the sidewall and then had a blowout.

Last edited by Crescendo; 03-27-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 PM

His wife crazy
Pictures of the tire in question.
Attached Thumbnails ***WARNING*** Dishonest Dealings (The 6 tire)-impact-break-1.jpg   ***WARNING*** Dishonest Dealings (The 6 tire)-impact-break-2.jpg  
Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM

E.FIDDY.FIVE AMG
man this has to suck. hope things get better and hopefully he pays some of it back.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM

E.FIDDY.FIVE AMG
yea thats def bad for the tires. take them off asap before driving
Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 PM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
I have a spare set of rear ps2's off my car if u are interested ill give them to u for dirt just to clear up some garage space. if u want PM me ill send u pix and depths .

TM
Thanks, but the rears have plenty of life left in them.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
It also happens when a tire is run flat.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
There is no way I would run a tire like this on a car as capable as ours. My truck on the other hand I might, but never my nice cars.
Originally Posted by Crescendo
Bummer.
He told me there's a chance of failure, but as long as they seat right on the wheel, you should be fine.
Its been like 3k miles since the dismount and remount. Everything is fine, no vibration or anything. The tires have like 6k miles on them.
So I believe you would have been fine, if they were minor bulges.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 PM

His wife crazy
I had no choice but to put my old tire back on and drive the beast home. Those bulges pushed right in with the tip of my finger, there is no way I was going to drive on that tire, even if Discount Tire would have agreed to put it on the car.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 PM

2005 E55
I just had to replace one of my rear PS2s (265/35) for a sidewall bulge like that. Mine was damaged by running over a tree branch laying in the road. Luckily for me the wheel checked out okay, and I had an extra tire laying around.

I gave the bad tire to the Goodyear shop that did the mounting, and I understand it is going to be shredded. It would truly suck if the seller sold that tire to you *knowing* it was damaged. Given the mass of these cars, and the speeds they are capable of, it's just an invitation to disaster to drive on a tire with a compromised sidewall.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55
that's rough...sorry to hear this!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 AM

09 E320 Bluetec
ps2's are very prone to getting bubbles. i got bubbles in my ps2 that were on my 760.

a lot of ppl on bimmerfest that had them on their 7 got bubbles easily too.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Esh

E55
Happened to me once, and they looked exactly like that, although on a bigger tire (295/45/20). I let a buddy of mine borrow my SUV and he clipped the edge of a center curb divider while turning left at a light. It was late Saturday and I had a 200 mile road trip planned the next day. I drove on it for the 200 miles.

The Schwab swapped out the tire free of charge the following Monday, telling me it was unsafe to continue to drive on it that way.

"Driven on for 220 miles" until he hit something and sold the tires to you. Something is fishy there, but if he had these mounted he should have known the bubbles unless it happened when removing them from the wheel.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Guys,

no offense to anyone here, and I'm sorry that happened. But used performance tires? That's just something you've got to be really careful with. This is your ULTIMATE contact with the road, and your going to take a chance on a used one at 100MPH in the 100 degree heat? I'm not sayng that there's never something good that works out doing this, but jeez, you've just got to be careful, especially with someone you don't know. Good luck in your resolution....
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
X2board is a great guy! I totally belive his story and I am sorry to hear that! Hopefully he gets it worked out.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by allenjdmb
no offense to anyone here, and I'm sorry that happened. But used performance tires? That's just something you've got to be really careful with. This is your ULTIMATE contact with the road, and your going to take a chance on a used one at 100MPH in the 100 degree heat? I'm not sayng that there's never something good that works out doing this, but jeez, you've just got to be careful, especially with someone you don't know. Good luck in your resolution....
I thought this was a good deal and took a chance, one of the two tires is in perfect condition, so it could have been worse, all said and done, I could have just bought a new pair, but since I get to write off my shipping charges, I figured these would save some coin.

Moral of the story: Don't try to be a cheap B'stard, because it does not pay.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 AM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by Esh
"Driven on for 220 miles" until he hit something and sold the tires to you. Something is fishy there, but if he had these mounted he should have known the bubbles unless it happened when removing them from the wheel.
That is another possibility, depending on the method/machinery used to break the bead and dismount the tire. The seller claims the mounting and dismounting were done by a Mercedes dealer. I believe he did not know about it beforehand, but not offering to make things right and questioning my integrity just pisses me off.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
That is another possibility, depending on the method/machinery used to break the bead and dismount the tire. The seller claims the mounting and dismounting were done by a Mercedes dealer. I believe he did not know about it beforehand, but not offering to make things right and questioning my integrity just pisses me off.
I nearly bought these wheels myself but then decided to pass on them as there was just not enough savings...Any way this is an excellent post for people to be careful about purchasing the used stuff especially the wheels and tires.
You are absolutely right about damaging the side wall during mounting and un-mounting.Infact it's very easy to tell whether the lines were damaged while mounting/un mounting (crowe bar breaking the lines ) or an impact causing the bubble.
The best thing would be to take them to a tire place and let them look at the tires.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Faast
I nearly bought these wheels myself but then decided to pass on them as there was just not enough savings...Any way this is an excellent post for people to be careful about purchasing the used stuff especially the wheels and tires.
You are absolutely right about damaging the side wall during mounting and un-mounting.Infact it's very easy to tell whether the lines were damaged while mounting/un mounting (crowe bar breaking the lines ) or an impact causing the bubble.
The best thing would be to take them to a tire place and let them look at the tires.

You might want to reread. There were no wheels involved; just dismounted tires.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:29 PM

E55 AMG
Dealing on this board is more dicey than it ought to be. If he lives in the Kansas City let me know - I'm a lawyer and would be happy to punish someone for you.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:12 PM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by Objectionable
Dealing on this board is more dicey than it ought to be. If he lives in the Kansas City let me know - I'm a lawyer and would be happy to punish someone for you.
He is in Philly. I have to go there in a couple weeks to renew my PA CCW permit, and I'll have a chat with someone at the Police Department at the same time, if he has not made good at that point.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 PM

His wife crazy
Update on my damaged tire thread

It took 3 weeks, but MindFreak refunded my $200.00 for the damaged PS2

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-486-tire.html

One thing for sure, next time I need tires, I'll be buying them new.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
I only buy tires new. Just a hassle and too many unknowns as well as dishonest people that do not believe in full disclosure when buying used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***WARNING*** Dishonest Dealings (The $486 tire)