Sponsored by:

My next mod.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
for pulley, i think it about every 10mm will get you about 30hp. but alot more Tq.

when i changed my pulley from 178 to ~190 i gained 29rwhp and 73rwTq.

Jeremy is the only guy who tuned my car.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
for pulley, i think it about every 10mm will get you about 30hp. but alot more Tq.

when i changed my pulley from 178 to ~190 i gained 29rwhp and 73rwTq.

Jeremy is the only guy who tuned my car.
very nice gains!

By chance do you have any other numbers to verify the gains? I'm not sure what kind of method you guys use in your country - 1/4 mile, 60-130 runs, or just heads up racing.

Since I dynode my 185 pulley on a different dyno I don't really have a point of reference to compare.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
dyno again on the previous dyno! hehe
Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nop, but the gains were shown on the dyno before and after,

after the 190mm pulley it showed 19rwhp gain and about 50rwTq.

after some fine tuning by Jeremy with the new pulley, the gains have increased more.

it is only on the dyno.

by streets, my friend used to be side by side with me but after installing my bigger pulley, i am pulling away from him starting from 2nd gear, but from 0 we are next to ach other (bad traction control).

so they are some gains on the street and on the dyno.

if you wan, i can scan my dyno sheet.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
nop, but the gains were shown on the dyno before and after,

after the 190mm pulley it showed 19rwhp gain and about 50rwTq.

after some fine tuning by Jeremy with the new pulley, the gains have increased more.

it is only on the dyno.

by streets, my friend used to be side by side with me but after installing my bigger pulley, i am pulling away from him starting from 2nd gear, but from 0 we are next to ach other (bad traction control).

so they are some gains on the street and on the dyno.

if you wan, i can scan my dyno sheet.
No need to post any dyno sheets. I totally believe you and I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I was just hoping that you had some other way of verifying it on the street, that's all.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Based on what ALI is saying I'm thinking a good case could be made for a larger pulley due to more torque for around town. However I know that I'm being greedy
Old 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bassn_07
No need to post any dyno sheets. I totally believe you and I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I was just hoping that you had some other way of verifying it on the street, that's all.

we use streets race, with others, my friend who i used to be side by side with him, after installing the 190, my car pulls stronger than his, clearly when reaching 220 there is 2 - 3 car length between us, we tried from 70km - 220.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Two things to contribute here...

One:
It seems our I/C system has two pumps. The one we replace with the Johnson and another down by the HE. I only discovered this recently trying to diagnose an issue with high IAT's (I have a 178mm RT pulley). I was seeing higher than normal intake temps and added a split cooling circuit and under hood reservoir to try and compensate (added to my already installed CM-30 and larger HE) . This did not help and in fact the S/C started shutting down and logs showed spikes in the 180 range with turtle like recovery. Turns out this second pump had shiit the the bed. Swamped it out and all is right with my IAT's now. An interesting side note is that the dealer mentioned that this pump has a new part number because the factory improved the pump design (sound familar)...interesting. Not sure what this means to you, but thought I would mention it because I have been chasing this gremlin for awhile.

Second:
I am having lean conditions above 5K rpm's as well. It is like someone flips a switch at 5k and the car goes lean and the power starts to drop. It has done this (to some extent) whether stock or modded. Two separate tuners have not been able to correct it. It seems the car is simply not getting enough fuel. My mods are not extensive (shorties and the aforementioned pulley and cooling), so I am leaning towards the rear fuel pump/filter being the culprit. I should have that replaced by the end of the week (there is a recall campaign for this as they are a know issue). Hope that solves the issue and I can finish what has been started...lol.

Good luck to you Alan, you have come a long way and deserve continued success!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Wait, two IC pumps stock? When did this happen?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
OEM has only one pump.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Well I may have the terminology confused, but......

Originally Posted by stevebez
OEM has only one pump.
The one on the left is the unit I replaced with a Johnson CM-30. The one on the right had failed, so that is the old part. It is located directly next to the I/C (heat exchanger) and is plumbed inline from the outlet of the I/C.

Here is a close up of the part number for the larger pump. It is now superseded by the improved pump and a new part number, which apparently pops up when you request a replacement using the below number.

I was not having any issues with elevated engine coolant temps or over heating when this pump failed, only remarkably high IAT's.....which is what led me to believe it was I/C specific.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jikjak
dyno again on the previous dyno! hehe
Haha...I'm all about track tuning now brotha! There is no other way to simulate the airflow my car needs at this stage to maximize my mods. I ran a 10.8 with parts of my AFR dipping into the 10.9's early in the RPM...just imagine what a point leaner will do under the curve...!

Originally Posted by Luke_M
Based on what ALI is saying I'm thinking a good case could be made for a larger pulley due to more torque for around town. However I know that I'm being greedy
I'm just not sold on bigger is better yet but once I get everything working at 100% I might think differently.

we use streets race, with others, my friend who i used to be side by side with him, after installing the 190, my car pulls stronger than his, clearly when reaching 220 there is 2 - 3 car length between us, we tried from 70km - 220.
Thanks for the post Ali_E55 . I heard your car is a beast from the man himself.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Second:
I am having lean conditions above 5K rpm's as well. It is like someone flips a switch at 5k and the car goes lean and the power starts to drop. It has done this (to some extent) whether stock or modded. Two separate tuners have not been able to correct it. It seems the car is simply not getting enough fuel. My mods are not extensive (shorties and the aforementioned pulley and cooling), so I am leaning towards the rear fuel pump/filter being the culprit. I should have that replaced by the end of the week (there is a recall campaign for this as they are a know issue). Hope that solves the issue and I can finish what has been started...lol.

Good luck to you Alan, you have come a long way and deserve continued success!
Thank you for the kind words!

I have seen this condition on several highly modded cars with mine right there. I'm pretty close to maximizing my injectors and I'm looking into having my fuel pump and filters replaced, injectors cleaned, calibrated, and possibly increasing the flow. This is a much cheaper route than the SLR injectors. Pat from PTE has led me in this direction and I'll post back on what I decide to do. I am really surprised you are having these issues with your limited mods.... How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55

Thank you for the kind words!

I have seen this condition on several highly modded cars with mine right there. I'm pretty close to maximizing my injectors and I'm looking into having my fuel pump and filters replaced, injectors cleaned, calibrated, and possibly increasing the flow. This is a much cheaper route than the SLR injectors. Pat from PTE has led me in this direction and I'll post back on what I decide to do. I am really surprised you are having these issues with your limited mods.... How many miles do you have on your car?
Car only has 47K...thinking it may be related to the fuel pump/filter under the back seat as this is a known trouble spot and has a recall issued for it. Taking it to the dealer in a few days...then back on the dyno to see if that cured it. After that if the lean condition is still there, well who knows.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
The one on the left is the unit I replaced with a Johnson CM-30. The one on the right had failed, so that is the old part. It is located directly next to the I/C (heat exchanger) and is plumbed inline from the outlet of the I/C.

Here is a close up of the part number for the larger pump. It is now superseded by the improved pump and a new part number, which apparently pops up when you request a replacement using the below number.

I was not having any issues with elevated engine coolant temps or over heating when this pump failed, only remarkably high IAT's.....which is what led me to believe it was I/C specific.
Never seen the pump on the left - where is it located?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by stevebez
Never seen the pump on the left - where is it located?

Ya.. what steve said? I beleive most people replace the larger bosch unit near the IC with a cm30( that is what I did). from there the lines run up to the IC core and back. Where is the smaller pump?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Quote :
Haha...I'm all about track tuning now brotha! There is no other way to simulate the airflow my car needs at this stage to maximize my mods. I ran a 10.8 with parts of my AFR dipping into the 10.9's early in the RPM...just imagine what a point leaner will do under the curve...!

Fantastic mods Allan Glad to see your still hav'in a blast with the ride. Quick question, above you say "it's all about track tuning now" does that mean you're still custom tuning you're ECU after data loging on the track? If so Whom is now doing your tuning?
Again great progress man..

I'll be doing another mile run in the 2nd week of June. Then some road course days this Summer. I'll let you know how it goes.
We'll have to get Josh & Mike and head up to Fontana for another 105 degree race day Thant was crazy
Old 05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Quote :Fantastic mods Allan Glad to see your still hav'in a blast with the ride. Quick question, above you say "it's all about track tuning now" does that mean you're still custom tuning you're ECU after data loging on the track? If so Whom is now doing your tuning?
Again great progress man..

I'll be doing another mile run in the 2nd week of June. Then some road course days this Summer. I'll let you know how it goes.
We'll have to get Josh & Mike and head up to Fontana for another 105 degree race day Thant was crazy
Thanks Rick! How have you been? I'm glad to see you representing that clean a$$ CLS of yours in some of these events. Your car is truly eye candy and still one of the most cleanest MB' I've seen.

About track tuning...

I haven't done it yet but at this point in my modding stage that's probably the only way to optimize my car. I would run my car at the track and log all my important parameters - timing, AFR's, Knock, and whatever else Jeremy will need. This is something that you might want to look at soon especially since you plan on running the mile.

Fontana..... I still have nightmares of that day waking in cold sweats and screaming "I'm slow"!!!! With all that said I would still do it again . Maybe next time we could get a few more to show up and represent well. Oh yeah, I still need the same term Juicee offered me last time, If I break into the 11.5's he needs to run up and down the track holding the AMG flag with no shirt..... Damn that's a bad thought!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Thanks Rick! How have you been? I'm glad to see you representing that clean a$$ CLS of yours in some of these events. Your car is truly eye candy and still one of the most cleanest MB' I've seen.

About track tuning...

I haven't done it yet but at this point in my modding stage that's probably the only way to optimize my car. I would run my car at the track and log all my important parameters - timing, AFR's, Knock, and whatever else Jeremy will need. This is something that you might want to look at soon especially since you plan on running the mile.

Fontana..... I still have nightmares of that day waking in cold sweats and screaming "I'm slow"!!!! With all that said I would still do it again . Maybe next time we could get a few more to show up and represent well. Oh yeah, I still need the same term Juicee offered me last time, If I break into the 11.5's he needs to run up and down the track holding the AMG flag with no shirt..... Damn that's a bad thought!

I have actually gained a few and more back hair. HAHA. 243.2 help me gotta lose 100 lbs
Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brabus K8 E55 05

So you changed the one on the left with Johnson IC pump?

- Was it plug and start or do you have to modify the plug?
- The Bosch or Johnson pumps are much bigger than the one on the left, how is it in terms of running?
- How long have you been driving your car after changing the one on the left?!
- Last, can we have the part number of that left pump?

Now, what about if we change the left one with the one on the right? because I have one laying down at home doing nothing and if it is good to be used, i will use it instead of the small one.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I have one more thing to share with you guys. As you know I recently switched to one step colder plugs and I was glad to see that my EGT's dropped anywhere from 70-100 degrees. With this bit of info I would recommend one step colder plugs to any modified car, lower EGT's is always a good thing.

Last edited by bassn_07; 05-30-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
I have one more thing to share with you guys. As you know I recently switched to one step colder plugs and I was glad to see that my EGT's dropped anywhere from 70-100 degrees. With this bit of info I would recommend one step colder plugs to any modified car, lower EGT's is always a good thing.
Thank you for the good info on your experience as always..

Could I ask if possible, next time you speak to Jeremy, if he knows anyone that could tune my car here in the UK?

I know its a long shot but you never know...

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Lopes80
Thank you for the good info on your experience as always..

Could I ask if possible, next time you speak to Jeremy, if he knows anyone that could tune my car here in the UK?

I know its a long shot but you never know...

Thanks

Paul
check your pm!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 AM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.

The pump on the left is NOT for the intercooler. It is a booster pump for your heater core and it circulates coolant to your heater when you switch the REST function on, on the climate control unit.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Thanks for the info!
That's what I get for trusting my indy shop, you would think a "master tech" would know the difference. Well that heater pump is deluxe now...lol.
I am fairly aggrevated about this as I spent close to $400 replacing the actual ic pump with a new stock unit when the Johnson was sitting right in the bay 18 inches away.

Oh well, live and learn. Good mechanics are so difficult to find!
Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by Worth the wait; 05-31-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:54 PM

Bicycle
As stated above, there is only one factory pump for the IC, I know this cause Ive had the bumper off twice, the HE out once and chopped up the factory hose all in the comforts of my garage.

I'm in the "lean boat" too.... I'm looking a better option than the factory pumps(theres 2) Its hard to say if the issues is the pumps or if its in the regulator and filter (one unit)? I hate to just throw parts at a problem and hope it works...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My next mod.....