My next mod.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 AMG GT-R PRO
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I have one more thing to share with you guys. As you know I recently switched to one step colder plugs and I was glad to see that my EGT's dropped anywhere from 70-100 degrees. With this bit of info I would recommend one step colder plugs to any modified car, lower EGT's is always a good thing.
wow thats good to know! i just ordered mine through amazon, because I think I'm having some (knock) issues with my engine! but anyways thanks again for the great info Alan!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by jangy
I've never been a believer in cams on these cars. You simply do NOT have the room in the head. The ONLY way to put beefy cams in there is to replace the head or at least modify it.

I am not doubting anything, but can someone list the 55k cars that have aftermarket cams and shown increases? All I have seen is driveability issues. If you like a rough idle, then do it.

Last thing, MAKE SURE you have someone to tune it that you trust. To me, the tune is key on these cars.

I still disagree with CM30s. Always have. I love my Davies pump.
I agree with jangy here when I had the cams installed there was no HP gain there were no track numbers lower but it did pull very different the mid range felt crazy i liked it but no real power outta it.

My car also always had heat issues. I couldnt even run 1/4mile with out going way past 135. I never did but wanted to go back down from the 180mm pully I think the 1800 made to much heat for me. I know you serious guys have ICE boxes in your trunk so maybe no issues with you guys?

My personal opinion cams are not worth the cash.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
I agree with jangy here when I had the cams installed there was no HP gain there were no track numbers lower but it did pull very different the mid range felt crazy i liked it but no real power outta it.

My car also always had heat issues. I couldn't even run 1/4mile with out going way past 135. I never did but wanted to go back down from the 180mm pully I think the 1800 made to much heat for me. I know you serious guys have ICE boxes in your trunk so maybe no issues with you guys?

My personal opinion cams are not worth the cash.
Here's the way I see it with cams or any other mod at this point of my modding period. There isn't a mod out there right now that could give me the gains I had when I first started and for me to gain .1-.2 in a 1/4 mile is substantial. I haven't beat my PB yet but I promise it will fall this coming winter, maybe not by much but it will. I've gone through all 19 of my 10 second passes and one thing they all had in common was a very strong 60' time. This last time out on my very last run I ran a 1.7 60' time and still went 10.90x flat at a 133.8. That right there tells me that when I hit that one special day my pb will fall in a big way. Just imagine when I hit that same special day with a similar 1.58 60' time that I had when I went 10.776 with the power I'm making now..... I'm guessing to be in the low 10.6' to possibly high 10.5' by end of this year. Wish me luck and we'll see what happens.

I've never been a person to go by this seat of the pants feeling and I'm sure many here will agree with that. My car is very well documented and if there are gains to be had I promise we'll I'll see them, not on a dyno nor the seat of the pants feel but actual track numbers.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Congrats on the cams Alan!

Can't wait to see you in the 10.5 range!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion
Congrats on the cams Alan!

Mike...is that you Bro??? I thought you parted ways with Fluidmotor Union but either way I'm glad to see you back on the boards .
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Mike...is that you Bro??? I thought you parted ways with Fluidmotor Union but either way I'm glad to see you back on the boards .
Been back for awhile now my man! Sorry I didn't let you know!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
With a more Alan-like 60' he is ALREADY THERE!!

What up Mike?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Been back for awhile now my man! Sorry I didn't let you know!
No worries Mike I'm just glad you joined us again . Any future plans to make us 55's go faster?

Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
With a more Alan-like 60' he is ALREADY THERE!!

What up Mike?
Thanks Bruce and I appreciate all the support you've given me .

I would really love to break into the 10.5's but its going to take a very special day to do it. All conditions will have to perfect and the car running flawless. I'm estimating sometime around December of this year if all goes well...we'll see!!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Update:

I've been logging my car every day now since I got back. I've mostly performed 2nd gear runs due to the high speeds in 3rd, all though I do have a few in 3rd. Everything looks great from my timing, EGT's, IAT's (), a with AFR's slightly rich. I don't have any plans on leaning out my AFR's right now until I get a chance to drive it in different conditions, from hot to cold temp, 91 vs race fuel, and finally get some controlled runs at the track. This was recommended by sneakyneon and IMO great advice. The weather really warmed up this weekend and it put my car to the test. Glad to report that everything passed with flying colors!!!! My car feels soo strong even in the hot weather it's simply amazing!

Cams:

I finally have some real every day miles on my cams and I'm very happy with the performance. I would also rate the drive-ability 7.5 out of 10 (10 at stock). In neutral it idles like a champ with that slight cam rumble (love it) and in drive when idling things are good but not great. For the most it runs great but I have felt a very slight surge, not bad at all I promise and much better than I expected. I know Pat used a cam tuner to help Aaron out on his car which I heard was really bad and I'm also considering using it. When I say considering it's not because I feel the car needs it but if I could spend $200 and get a perfect 10 out of it I will. Just to note I put some miles on my car this weekend and it did not surge one time, maybe it's just getting better. Either way the car drives so good I do feel a little hesitant to screw with things.

Some people ask me if it drives like stock, no it doesn't. If I wanted a stock feeling car I would have left it alone long time ago. If you decide to go with cams your car will not feel stock any longer but me personally I really love that very slight lope, that's just me. It's so slight my wife doesn't even notice but I sure the hell do.... IMO the performance I felt with these cams so far out weighs the minor issues, not even an issue but more the characteristics of a larger cam.

IAT's:

I've been fighting my IAT's the last couple of weeks due to a failing pump. Today I decided to change out the pump and add the Meziere back on just to see how it performs with some assistance from the CM30. Initially I didn't see much of a difference but after logging several miles in 90+ degree weather it did very well. With the 2 CM30's I've been somewhere in the range of 25-30 over ambient in most conditions. Now I'm seeing much better results with the Meziere/CM30. In the same temp driving the same pattern my IAT's stay between 16-20 degrees over ambient. The recovery was also much quicker in short burst. This evening the family and I just got back from dinner with temps in the mid 70's and I got the same results 16-20 over ambient. I'm a happy camper right about now !

I also did a few WOT runs the other day with my IAT's never going over 82 in 90+ degree temps...how did that happen . Times are good right now and my car is running strong!!!!

My next test will be at the track in some warm weather. My goal is to break into the 10's at +2000 DA. Definitely a task but I feel it's doable with my new mods, time will tell.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
If you decide to go with cams your car will not feel stock any longer but me personally I really love that very slight lope,
Amen brotha. Perfectly said!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
awesome alan! thanks for the info. im glad the CM30/Meziere combo worked out great! my cm30 just came in last week so ill be using the same combo as well.
is the mez in the rear and cm in the oem pump location?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
hey alan. nice writeup. glad u like the cams. can u shoot a quick vid of ur car at idle with the cams. here are a couple of mine. would love to compare...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbNsnttGvtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3-0kpXWck
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by beauphus
hey alan. nice writeup. glad u like the cams. can u shoot a quick vid of ur car at idle with the cams. here are a couple of mine. would love to compare...

Your wish is granted! Not the best video...sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEoIZZsQUFc
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60

wow. sounds awesome. lobe is more pronounced than mine. must be because i still have secondary cats and resonators in place sound great though!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
wow. sounds awesome. lobe is more pronounced than mine. must be because i still have secondary cats and resonators in place sound great though!!
Thanks Aaron! I also noticed that the lope on my car seemed a little more pronounced. Like you said, it's probably due to my straight pipes, no cats or resonator. Thanks again for recommending the Pat's cams!

BTW...are you on stock injectors?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221

Man oh man....I'm lovin that lobe sound!!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
The lope is not bad at all...it've very mild compared to more agressive cams you find on race cars or other applications for different engines.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo

Soundzzz EVIL gr8 mod Alan!!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:03 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Alan, I may have missed a thread or two but just saw this one again? Are the cams still in or did you take them out? If so, why?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Alan, I may have missed a thread or two but just saw this one again? Are the cams still in or did you take them out? If so, why?
No comment.....