Sponsored by:

Issues with akebono brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Issues with akebono brake pads

Just finished doing the front brakes on my car, Pretty easy job for the DIY.
Thought I would share a concern with all the good folks here.
On the back of the pads is an thin aluminum plate with black coating on it to help reduce noise and squeal. This plate is in direct contact with pistons of the caliper and rest on a small round pin that basically centers the pad on the disk, In my set 5 of the 8 pads had that plate mis aligned and it would not sit down on the centering pin correctly. I had to grind the plate down so it would fit correctly. Just something to look out for if your using this product. Here are a few pics, sorry for the quality, my camera sucks. The first pic is how its supposed to look the second you can see the plate sticking in the opening.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 PM

2006 Mercedes E55
I just got new rotors and akebono pads wednesday. Wish I had pinged you we could have used the lift I have access to and had a mini diy meet.

Instead I paid to have mine done
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Bellevue_E55
I just got new rotors and akebono pads wednesday. Wish I had pinged you we could have used the lift I have access to and had a mini diy meet.

OH NO!!! Its a way easy job. Here is the basic run through, UNPLUG SBS(pass just behind headlight)Pull the wheel off, push the 2 pins out of the caliper take 2 bolts out of the center of the caliper and remove small metal block. Take off brake refill cap off, remove one side of pads and compress all of the pistons on one side then put the pads back in the other side and use a small wedge to keep them snug wile you compress the other side. then remove 2 large alan olts and the caliper willl lift out. remove one small bolt in the rotor. Mine were rusted onlike a mo fo but small bit of lube at the hub and a pickel fork on the back side to add pressure and a few wacks and it came right off. Reverse and your done. First time through can be done in 3 hours tops. If you have all the right tools and knoledge you could do it 45 min.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Bicycle

You should come to Sacramento in May. Should be a blast! If you need 178mm pulley for the trip le me know! i may have an extra by then
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
I had the exact same problem with the akebono pads. I thought it might have just been my set of pads. Akebono should get their act together.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
i just had akebonos installed over a month ago and have been getting INSANELY loud squeel. could this be the reason why? any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 PM

2006 Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
You should come to Sacramento in May. Should be a blast! If you need 178mm pulley for the trip le me know! i may have an extra by then
Whats happening in Sac? You still running the 180 ? I'm tempted for a pulley but never get a chance to open her up and feel the stock power around here. Need to get to track this summer with you.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 AM

Bicycle
Whats happening in Sac? You still running the 180 ? I'm tempted for a pulley but never get a chance to open her up and feel the stock power around here. Need to get to track this summer with you.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...et-racing.html
I'm UPGRADING my pulley! lol Somthing a little bigger than socially excepted. I'll give you a hint, there's a "5"in the size
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 AM

2006 Mercedes E55
Nice man. Hoping its a dubai crazy 195 LOL

I think I saw a post a while back that claimed someone was running a 200.

How you liking the new pads ? It might be that they are new but they feel soft to me. Softer than than the factory pads. I'm used to performance pads having more bite.... we will see.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 AM

Bicycle
Nice man. Hoping its a dubai crazy 195 LOL

I think I saw a post a while back that claimed someone was running a 200.

How you liking the new pads ? It might be that they are new but they feel soft to me. Softer than than the factory pads. I'm used to performance pads having more bite.... we will see.
I haven't had a chance to drive on them yet, I'm waiting on my 82mm TB come back from MAXBORE, Have you tried "bedding them"? Ive never done that but seems that its a must to get the most bite from them?