Cheapest way to get Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nascar
Cheapest way to get Stage 1?

Hello,

I was wondering what the cheapest way to go about getting stage 1 would be? I want to get a 180mm.

I'm currently trying to source a used 180mm pulley and HE. Then find someone to tune it for me (was thinking about Eurocharged because seems like they are cheapest and people are happy with them)? That should come out to close to $1500 right?

Or if anyone knows a company that will put all 3 of these in a package I'd appreciate that.

p.s. i know people gonna be saying "blahblahblah you got an expensive car so the prices of parts are gonna be expensive blahblah"

gimmie a break, i'm in college

Thanks

Last edited by ECBAOBAO; 04-24-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
It may be a tab bit cheaper if you find the parts used and install the h/e by yourself. I would not recommend installing the pulley by yourself.
You will have to pay for the tune.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ECBAOBAO
Hello,

I was wondering what the cheapest way to go about getting stage 1 would be? I want to get a 180mm.

I'm currently trying to source a used 180mm pulley and HE. Then find someone to tune it for me (was thinking about Eurocharged because seems like they are cheapest and people are happy with them)? That should come out to close to $1500 right?

Or if anyone knows a company that will put all 3 of these in a package I'd appreciate that.

p.s. i know people gonna be saying "blahblahblah you got an expensive car so the prices of parts are gonna be expensive blahblah"

gimmie a break, i'm in college

Thanks
What's your total budget including installation and product? Here's a estimate of what it would cost to have it installed here in the Cali. BTW...I would definitely recommend getting a heat exchanger with a 180 pulley.

1. ASP 180 Pulley / install = 900 / 200-300
2. HE / install = 500-600 / 200
3. Box tune = 600-1000
Old 04-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Bicycle
I'm the master of cheap! lol
So if you can live with out your car and you can do your own work you could pull off your stock pulley and send it to ASP to mod, this option is 300.00
If your car is an 03 you can get a hella big HE from frozen boost for under 200.00 You should look at the pump options as well since stocks are notiorus for being crap.
As far as the tune go's thats tricky, No real low buck options out there but one point of intrest is the the tuning company DiabloSport is comming out with a hand help, not sure what the price point is going to be but most of there line is around 600.00
One thing I would highly recomend is some odb logging softwere, you need to be abe to see what your iat and timing is doing at a bare min.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM

nascar
Alright, thanks a lot for the input guys! I wanna spend around 1500 if that's possible.

bassn_07: that is new right? Don't think I'm gonna get everything new since it'll be out of my price range lol.

sneakyneon: haha thanks for the info man. What is that thing where I send ASP my stock pulley? They can convert it to a 180mm? Never heard of that lol. I've heard of frozenboost but mines an 04 tho, when I was looking at it I think it'll fit with a bit of fab, or no?

I plan on trying to do the install myself, never brought my cars to shops because never liked to deal with those types of people (no offense) trying to rip you off n ****.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Alright, thanks a lot for the input guys! I wanna spend around 1500 if that's possible.

bassn_07: that is new right? Don't think I'm gonna get everything new since it'll be out of my price range lol.

sneakyneon: haha thanks for the info man. What is that thing where I send ASP my stock pulley? They can convert it to a 180mm? Never heard of that lol. I've heard of frozenboost but mines an 04 tho, when I was looking at it I think it'll fit with a bit of fab, or no?

I plan on trying to do the install myself, never brought my cars to shops because never liked to deal with those types of people (no offense) trying to rip you off n ****.
Most aftermarket pullies are actually just stock pullies with a larger outer ring. So you should be able to send your actual pulley to any of these companies and have it upgraded instead of purchasing a whole new pulley from them.... I believe that's what he meant by sending the pulley to ASP.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM

nascar
MB_Forever: Oh really? Didn't know that. Do you know typical pricing for that?

Also, I've been seeing people getting 185mm, is that overkill?

If I get a 180 w/o upgraded HE, how many pulls till my SC shuts off? lol
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
MB_Forever: Oh really? Didn't know that. Do you know typical pricing for that?

Also, I've been seeing people getting 185mm, is that overkill?

If I get a 180 w/o upgraded HE, how many pulls till my SC shuts off? lol
pricing is usually 300 for just the ring. make sure u get a NEW bolt if u plan on doing this urself. i just witnessed someone upgrade to 180 with stock HE and he got 1 pull before SC shutoff. 185 is overkill if ur looking to save $$ because in the end without spending more money on addtl cooling mods ur pushing the limits IMO. PLM sells what seems like a god HE for 400 i think. dont skimp on the tune. should cost around 800 to 1000.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
I've got the 168 and tune (Jeremy). I couldn't be happier. I have a stock HE and my car didn't shut down once and i ran the **** out of it last night. 4 back to back runs and then about an hour on the HW driving hard. I would go with the 168 pulley and stick with the stock HE if your looking for the cheapest route.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM

His wife crazy
Thanks for the heads up on Frozen Boost. Which of their HE units should I select?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by X2Board
Thanks for the heads up on Frozen Boost. Which of their HE units should I select?
It makes a diffrance what year you have, 03 have more room than later years. Your going to have to make mounts and do a custom install, I sure with enough effort you could fit there largest sized one. I'd remove the bumper and get some messurments on your own before you take someone word for it!