W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people generally know what these things have in them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I love this place.

BTW, until Ricker posts a time slip, I'm taking credit for the quickest 1/4 mile in an SL600 on MBWorld. OH SNAP!

Off topic:

Sean, still love the TCU tune? I'm gonna let you log some miles before I take the plunge.
Enjoy that title bud you've earned it We'll see what ALL these worthless mods can do VERY soon (You'll wish you did the TCU sooner, everyday w/out it is your loss seriously turns these V12TT's into something absolutely unholy you wont believe till you install it, just do it you know I don't pull any punches on reviews/mods etc)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Thericker
Enjoy that title bud you've earned it We'll see what ALL these worthless mods can do VERY soon (You'll wish you did the TCU sooner, everyday w/out it is your loss seriously turns these V12TT's into something absolutely unholy you wont believe till you install it, just do it you know I don't pull any punches on reviews/mods etc)
Ping me when you've got 1000 miles on the TCU tune. We'll revisit then, but it certainly sounds like this is next on my list. Every time I do a little WOT blast, and I feel the TCU pull torque at gear change, I think of you. Seriously, I do.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Ping me when you've got 1000 miles on the TCU tune. We'll revisit then, but it certainly sounds like this is next on my list. Every time I do a little WOT blast, and I feel the TCU pull torque at gear change, I think of you. Seriously, I do.
IDK if I like the idea of you thinking about me while your driving
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
That's why I love the E55. I have Neon driver rev at my Honda Odyssey, but nobody give a hoot about the E55.
WOW. Another board member with a Honda Odyssey besides myself. Cool.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 AM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by gonzjed
I notice you keep editing this post, not only are you goofy, you stutter too.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by dpavid
WOW. Another board member with a Honda Odyssey besides myself. Cool.
Same here....
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
if you debadged these cars, had full bolts ons and stock rear appearance, that my friend is the ultimate of all sleepers right there.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:38 AM

2005 AMG E55
On the road and thought of this thread when a Honda Accord tails me and tries to race me. Complete Ricer with load exhaust, wheels, and a kid behind the wheel. Wasted gas on this one. He did look shocked when I smoked him and waited for him to catch up 3 times. Pretty funny stuff.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Originally Posted by Hazy1
Just wanted to get in on the cage match here. My wife's 2003 Expedition has heated/cooled seats that far outperform the E55's ventilated seats. It should have included a big red-lettered warning on the visor against activating the A/C feature when sporting sweaty *****.
haha. I agree the ventilated seats are nothing to go crazy over. I love the feature along with the heated seats, but neither of them perform very well. The heated seats do not get very hot and I can barely notice at all the ventilation.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 AM

2006 E55
It's amazing the amount of jokers that have no clue what this car has.

It kind of reminds me of those old 1950s shows where the older guy tells the annoying kid..."scram kid, you bother me!"

Of course, you can't back down on the clowns trying to race you.

It always seems to be these guys in Infiniti's thinking they are all that. I don't get it. The funniest was when this guy with a bunch of his buddy's pulled on to the highway in their new (used) Porsche with the dealer tag still on it. I tailed them the whole way as they gunned it onto the highway and changed lanes. Then I got next to him and smoked him. It was an older Carrera I believe (prob 2006-2007).

Fun stuff!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
The post above speaks to the intent of this tread, although the cage match that ensued was fun, this ^ speaks to my question.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that the E55 is the be-all, end-all of speed and power. No matter what anyone has, there is always something faster..

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way, I agree that a lot of these guys running “high performance” cars seemed to be shocked with the speed at which the E55 leaves them behind.

Yesterday it was a Range Rover HSE who came up behind me at about 100+.. I moved over, and he comes next to me, slows down (we are going around 80), with a lot of empty space ahead of us. (This is of course in Mexico) He paces me, gives me a smile, and hits it.. Well, the E55 is faster.. by a significant margin. I know the RR is 400 HP, but from 80 to Whatever, there were a LOT of car lengths that materialized between us- in a very short amount of time.

After that, he didn’t come up and smile any more

For the record, I don’t take any of this too seriously. It is fun to play around a little when its safe, and the E55 seems to hold its own in many cases. I know a lot of you drag race and have some serious machines.. Never the less, as my original post queried: Do people generally know what these cars are capable of, and the answer seems to be no. Happy Monday everyone!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Even I that love cars and have an AMG myself, when I see a Mercedes driving down the road, the first thought I have is never "What a fast looking car!" On the surface they (Especially e and S classes) blend into the traffic, especially in areas with more Mercedes/BMW's. It's only the few that care to look at the small details that define the AMG's that get excited, and I always do when I see it, but it takes a few seconds to figure out it isn't a regular Merc.

Now, if you see a Ferrari, or any sports car of that type - automatically you'll think of the speed first. That's how it goes! Quiet, big sedans can be even faster - but they are definitely hidden. I kind of like that, too - they make the best sleepers!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I had an encounter one day at a gas station. I was way out in the sticks, and stopped for fuel. While I was at the pump, an old rusted-out Toyota truck pulled in next pump over, and an older fellow got out and pumped $2. worth in, and went inside to pay. On the way out he stopped and looked at my front wheel for a few seconds, then looked me straight in the eye and said "thats a real AMG" and smiled. I was so shocked, all I could do was smile and nod. I'll never forget his toothless smile, he looked like this...
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
That old fellow probably was probably an automotive enthusiast. If there is one thing I've learned, don't form an opinion about someone unless you have had an opportunity to converse with that person.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
What is also funny is how chicks who do not know much about cars think that my e55 is just another Mercedes and they think a new Honda Civic is nicer or a better car. It can be annoying, but whatever I know I have a one of a kind beauty!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM

2010 GT500 Eleanor
"X2Board: If there is one thing I've learned, don't form an opinion about someone unless you have had an opportunity to converse with that person"

I don't think I've ever read/heard a more true statement online. I can't tell you how many people look at me and figure I don't know anything...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM

2010 GT500 Eleanor
whatever

Last edited by Mr.L2; 05-11-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: ridiculous argument
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I can certainly understand why people know nothing about them. Though I have been an enthusiast for 15 years, I knew squat about the AMG's until a couple of years ago. I knew they were quick, maybe running the 1/4 in 14 seconds or so, but I had no idea what they could do until I saw 1 run an 11.70 at US-41. The best part about going to the track is seeing people's reactions.

As I type this I have the car on the lift with the new 180mm ASP pulley waiting to be tightened down. Heading over to Eurocharged tomorrow night to get the thing tuned. Once that's done it should surprise even more people, though adding another 60-70hp on top of ~500 is kind of like icing on the cake. It's the torque I can't wait for!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

2010 GT500 Eleanor
Nice. Keep us updated on how it feels compared to before. Congrats
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I had an encounter one day at a gas station. I was way out in the sticks, and stopped for fuel. While I was at the pump, an old rusted-out Toyota truck pulled in next pump over, and an older fellow got out and pumped $2. worth in, and went inside to pay. On the way out he stopped and looked at my front wheel for a few seconds, then looked me straight in the eye and said "thats a real AMG" and smiled. I was so shocked, all I could do was smile and nod. I'll never forget his toothless smile, he looked like this...
lol. He probably had a garage full of lambos and ferraris back at his place.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:38 PM

2010 GT500 Eleanor
I think the real funny thing is: I know three gentlemen who wear nothing but t-shirts and blue jeans/shorts.

One of them has 2 F40s and the other has over 150 Chevys (L88s and all)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr.L2
Nice. Keep us updated on how it feels compared to before. Congrats
Well, just back from Eurocharged a couple of hours ago. They had me in and out of there in about 10 minutes, very fast and easy. Once the ECU was flashed, myself and one of the guys(didn't catch his name, I think it was Greg though since that's who I was e-mailing back and forth) took the car out to make sure everything was 100%. Right away I knew I had made a good choice. Power delivery is super-smooth, and because of that the acceleration is really deceptive. Even with two 290 pound guys in the car it was spinning in 2nd on the less than perfect roads we were on, though on a good surface it just spun through 1st and then hooked in 2nd.

The guys were very knowledgable, and during the test drive we discussed what I could expect and the changes I would feel. Since I drive the car every day I could definitely feel the difference the pulley and tune made, though like I said, the smoothness of the power delivery(and quiet exhaust) is extremely deceptive. Absolutely nothing like the brutality of my buddies 520rwhp Mustang that makes tons of noise and claws away at the road in every gear. My only gripe is the slightly harsher S/C engagement, but until someone makes a clutchless S/C pulley and the software to go with it(which will never happen) there is nothing to be done about it.

It was great seeing the shop and meeting guys! Next up is an HE so I can combat the Summer heat(and possibly headers), and I discussed a couple of options with Greg, so hopefully soon Ill be tearing off the front bumper cover to install one of those beauties. BTW, that HE is HUGE! It looks tiny in picutres but is massively thick and looks very well-made.

Oh yeah, I can actually hear the blower inside the car now, even with the windows up. Reminds me of an 03/04 Cobra. I can only imagine what it sounds like outside.