W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are the Brakes suppose to feel. Having second thoughts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 545i, BMW X3, 2004 Mercedes Benz E55
Exclamation How are the Brakes suppose to feel. Having second thoughts...

Hey everyone I don't know if is just me but do the brake on the E55 when press don't feel like they are biting strong. I think is just me because on my BMW they bite as soon as I press on the brake they are sensitive and on the Merc I kind of have to press it hard. Today I was going to take a yellow light but I saw that the light had cameras so I stop suddenly and I had to brake hard but I had to press it all the way and it still burnt rubber. Every time I'am driving I have to press kind of strong on the brake. My question is how are the brakes suppose to feel? And do I need new ones or new tires? No warning lights on the dash. Thank you all
Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
Originally Posted by kakorat
Hey everyone I don't know if is just me but do the brake on the E55 when press don't feel like they are biting strong. I think is just me because on my BMW they bite as soon as I press on the brake they are sensitive and on the Merc I kind of have to press it hard. Today I was going to take a yellow light but I saw that the light had cameras so I stop suddenly and I had to brake hard but I had to press it all the way and it still burnt rubber. Every time I'am driving I have to press kind of strong on the brake. My question is how are the brakes suppose to feel? And do I need new ones or new tires? No warning lights on the dash. Thank you all
Maybe you were smelling your pads from hard braking. For sure the BMW brakes are much more sensitive to the feel and required pressure. The difference was enough for me to wonder the same thing you are and since switching to akebono's, it's still had the same feel....you have to use noticable pressure. I am used to it now and prefer these over the Beemers.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Your Benz has "electric" brakes, yes that is right, brake by wire. The system is known as SBC. It has been discontinued since 2006 and all SBC vehicles have an extended warranty on the SBC system due to a recall.
Here is a description of the SBC.
http://500sec.com/sensotronic-brake-system-sbc/
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
The pedal feel of these brakes definitely is not in the same league of the bite provided by BMW brakes. It takes a little getting used to, but so far the car has always stopped when I needed it to, so that is a pretty good sign!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
if your SBC fails, you are stuck with the backup hydrolic brake system which will feel harder. you may want to get it checked out just to be safe
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Try flushing your brake systems to remove any air or water in the lines.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Exactly as they said! There is actually a bladder that gives you the break feel. You are really not pushing anything, it is all electronic. If you turn your key to on without the engine on and pump your brakes a few times, you will hear the electric pump kick on.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
The words "brake" and "feel" are not usually used when discussing an SBC equipped car.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by cte430
The words "brake" and "feel" are not usually used when discussing an SBC equipped car.
It sure is hard trying to explain how these brakes work sometimes!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I've driven a few E55s in the past and have had the same experience you had. The SBC system feels awkward in the beginning because it doesn't give you any feedback, but after a while, you get used to it.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Thank you all very good information. I am use to driving nothing but BMW's that this felt weird. The brakes are working normal I guess just gave to get use to them. Thank you all and if any more tips I'll will apreciate them.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Forgot one thing how can i know if this recall was done on my car? Any help
Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
[QUOTE=kakorat;4059638]Forgot one thing how can i know if this recall was done on my car? Any help[/QUOT

Call dealer with VIN#
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The dealer can pull up the service history on your car and tell you exactly if any work has been done regarding that recall or not.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
If you go for the brake quick, it will bite harder and quicker.....

If it ever broke and was fixed, your dealer would be able to tell you most likely by looking your VIN up.

Just to add, because they are computer controlled, they are speed sensitive as well.

If you go for the brake quick, it will bite harder and quicker.

A lot of people like to ride brakes when slowing, If you ride it and slowly push the pedal down over a couple seconds you will notice having to use the full pedal travel to stop and seems to not give you that secure braking feel.. Dont do it.

I personally never use the brakes.
I use the engine and downshifting to slow me down 90% of the time.

More gas $ but less pad and rotor though, and much less brake dust on the wheels.