W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Smart car (no AMG content)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Smart car (no AMG content)

So, does anyone here drive a Smart car? I'm looking for info on reliability, satisfaction and of course mods

I had a reservation for a C300 at Hertz, but there was a nice red Smart car next to it, so I swapped out. Let me tell you, this little bugger is fun to drive, and quicker than I thought. My wife wants one to use as a grocery getter, and I'm happy to oblige, if she would make her stop driving the beast
Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
dont ever get in an accident
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
I would buy the wife a good set of sneakers before a Smart car. Add a set of inserts and she will have aftermarket mods.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
The SMART car is actually not very smart. You end-up getting an average of 38 to 39 mpg. One can get a corolla with an average of 33 mpg for the same price as the coupe version of SMART, but with more room in the back, more room in the trunk, and all around more safety. Having said that, they are fun to drive for short distances
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
That turbocharged 3 banger is just dying to be modded. Maybe you could be the first to take the stock 71 HP to an over 100 HP beast. I'm thinking a tune and exhaust could get you close.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
time for the Busa Smart Car Vid.

Turn this classic up and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Yo6...=youtube_gdata
Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Received 524 Likes on 112 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
time for the Busa Smart Car Vid.

Turn this classic up and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Yo6...=youtube_gdata
I still think a good set a sneakers are faster and more desirable.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Smart car

I brought a 09 for my Girl friend , She Loves it. Power windows Power steering , heated seats, And I drive it around town myself. Small errands Post office & to the shop. I try not to venture out on I-95. The build quality is pretty good. Easy to get in & out of. The seats are about 8" higher than a small car of similar size. You would think by the looks it should get 50+ MPG, I get 40 - 41 MPG around town , 35 MPH on the highway, That was after the ECU tune, by Veloce. The trans shifts kinda clunky and has a gear rattle / loose lash in the 1st , 2ND and reverse gears . Which is made worse by the 3 Cyl - 999 cc Mitsu.I fixed that by draining out the thin trans axle oil. I used Lubrication Engineers super red Sync oil. The gear whine & Clunk are Gone. Thank GOD. This car has small tires, Small pot holes are a Big Deal!!! The cars seems to hold itself on the road, in strong Cross winds And large truck Traffic Everything & the mods , I did , improved it . Plus everybody stares at It and asks questions. They seem to hold their value. There are many low mileage used ones on the market. This car is not for everyone , especially young adults. Cheers _PTEngineering

Last edited by PTE; 05-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 PM

His wife crazy
Brabus on the cheap

http://www.smartusa.com/smart-fortwo...l=BRABUS_coupe
Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
You called?

I love my smart. It's a niche car. You either like it or you don't. I don't think one should buy a smart car for fuel economy. You buy it for its novelty. It's not cheap. As others have said, you have a lot of options if you are looking in this price range.

As far as safety, IIRC, side impact crash resulted higher than a BMW 3-series. It was a 5 star. i think front and rear were 3 or 4 stars. The driver's seat is high for a reason....Should you get hit, the impact (engine) is designed to slide under your seat, lessening the impact. The car is built around a roll cage basically.

As far as engine mods, there are a few turbo kits on the market. Stock, it puts about 60-63hp to the wheel. A bolt-on stage 2 SFR turbo will put 115hp to the wheel. It goes up if you go with an air-to-water intercooler. Personally, I bought the car because of the Youtube Busa videos, but quickly learned that motor would be too loud for a daily driver, and now looking to do a car engine swap. I've seen a N/A MR2 engine swap. Fits nicely. Currently following a Honda VTEC build before I decide what route to get.

The rate limiting factor in "speed" is the tranny. Major lag between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The 0-60mph inlcludes, literally, 2 seconds worth of shift lag. Dynotronics has a TCM tune that reduces shift lag by 25%, and are working on a tune that reduces by 50%.

You can see my mods in my sig.

www.smartcarofamerica.com if you want to read up more.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 AM

His wife crazy
TBone: Thanks for the the feedback. I'm not worried too much about the safety aspect, since I'm at greater risk when I ride my motorcycle. The tranny could really use a good tweak, even when using the paddles, the 1-2, 2-3 shifts are way too slow, if they could get it to shift like the SLS, it would be a great little runabout. I may pick one up, despite the price or just get another Cooper S, even though the MINI has attained "chick car" status, not like in '02 when I got car #237 and it was a car guy's & gal's hot little hatch.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg
rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niP0_...eature=related
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by X2Board
TBone: Thanks for the the feedback. I'm not worried too much about the safety aspect, since I'm at greater risk when I ride my motorcycle. The tranny could really use a good tweak, even when using the paddles, the 1-2, 2-3 shifts are way too slow, if they could get it to shift like the SLS, it would be a great little runabout. I may pick one up, despite the price or just get another Cooper S, even though the MINI has attained "chick car" status, not like in '02 when I got car #237 and it was a car guy's & gal's hot little hatch.
I'm not a fan of the current mini. IMO, if I was going to go with a small car, I wanted the smallest one on the market. I was looking at classic minis before I decided on the smart. My preference would still be a classic mini with a current gen VTEC engine in there, but it's way too hard to find a classic mini body that doesn't need a fair amount of restoration work done. Didn't want to spend the time and money on that part of the project. BUT, a classic mini rolling on 10's with a K-series VTEC is just SICK

Check out these custom wheels made for a classic mini:
http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/view...910&highlight=
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
I like it.I caught this one on the Freeway Two days ago
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E220D/GONE!JUNK!Current GLC Coupe 350d 4 Matic
I like it.I caught this one on the Freeway Two days ago
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
After I saw this picture I am not sure that I would ever consider it..

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Karlson

What needs to be considered is how the occupants end up after the crash, and less on the visual damage. Here are a couplecrashes:

Head on by Ford Mustang:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...d-crash-31141/

Rear ended by Lexus:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...s-430-a-30578/
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by Karlson

Dude,

I ride motorcycles, and fly helicopters, so that picture does not bother me in the least. When the reaper comes my way, I'll be laughing in his face. I saw both of my parents waste away from cancer in the prime of their lives, and I'd rather go out like the picture above, if I have a choice.
The earlier in life that you realize you aren't going to live forever, the more time you will have to enjoy life for what it is.

Marlon
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 PM
acb

2005 e55 amg
Originally Posted by X2Board
Dude,

I ride motorcycles, and fly helicopters, so that picture does not bother me in the least. When the reaper comes my way, I'll be laughing in his face. I saw both of my parents waste away from cancer in the prime of their lives, and I'd rather go out like the picture above, if I have a choice.
The earlier in life that you realize you aren't going to live forever, the more time you will have to enjoy life for what it is.

Marlon
I used to feel like this before having kids, rode insane bikes (eg turbo busa) like there aint no tomorrow and generally disregarded personal safety with a passion and loved every minute of it. Whether for good or bad, Mr Responsible smacked me out of that pretty quick. If only I could give up the ciggs...

Oh, (from one of the links above), if this is a 60mph head on with a mustang then Im buying a Camry...

Last edited by acb; 05-24-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Smart Car Crash Test

SMART Car Vs S-Class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eghIfyHP0

SMART Car Vs C-Class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4k0FWvGoSM

SMART Car Vs Road Block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwk8f_5Yw00
Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 PM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by acb
I used to feel like this before having kids, rode insane bikes (eg turbo busa) like there aint no tomorrow and generally disregarded personal safety with a passion and loved every minute of it. Whether for good or bad, Mr Responsible smacked me out of that pretty quick. If only I could give up the ciggs...
Don't get me wrong, when it comes to safety, I am a fanatic. I just don't worry about death, which makes life a lot more enjoyable. If something were to happen to me today, insurance money will take care of my family's needs, and that is my only concern.

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet