W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Carnage

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///AMG
What did LET say
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by novae500
yikes 0/4. At this point i'd go with Renntech or kleemann. Sorry to hear all the issues you have!
if only renntech,evosport or kleemann would do 180mm pulley!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by OXOJE55
What did LET say
I didn't even contact them about the last broken pulley, i've had to do 5 pulley installs at $180 each time, plus broken parts etc., I have no faith that they can deliver a good product. I'm better off purchasing from another vendor than to keep ramming my head into the same wall hoping for a different outcome.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
small claims?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by stevebez
To me a reworked oem (old ASP - despite the crppy looking welds its held for 14k miles now) is the way to go - also the harmonic balancing remains oem...

Problem is that the OEM pulleys fail too - it is a common dealer replacement item. =( Adding more weight to a known factory failure point was not something that sat well with us here at evosport!

Originally Posted by Karlson
We haven't made it official yet as we're just finishing final testing, but we have unofficially released a new Power Pulley (evo1+ Power Package) for the 55 AMG Kompressor. Our original was roughly 168mm from top of the belt grooves (not belt guide). Our new pulley is 178mm from belt grooves (180mm if you measure from guide to guide, but belt grooves are correct measurement). We feel this is max for all around safety and reliability. Additional size gets you another 2 psi of boost or up to an additional ~20-25hp. Look for an official release in the coming few days. As with our original it uses active dampening technology plus a removeable hub for easier installation. We feel we have the most proven, highest quality and most reliable pulley on the market.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by Karlson
RENNtech has a 178mm pulley...

I'm sorry to hear about your pulley horror... let me know if we can help in anyway.

best of luck to you
Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
Problem is that the OEM pulleys fail too - it is a common dealer replacement item. =( Adding more weight to a known factory failure point was not something that sat well with us here at evosport!

We haven't made it official yet as we're just finishing final testing, but we have unofficially released a new Power Pulley (evo1+ Power Package) for the 55 AMG Kompressor. Our original was roughly 168mm from top of the belt grooves (not belt guide). Our new pulley is 178mm from belt grooves (180mm if you measure from guide to guide, but belt grooves are correct measurement). We feel this is max for all around safety and reliability. Additional size gets you another 2 psi of boost or up to an additional ~20-25hp. Look for an official release in the coming few days. As with our original it uses active dampening technology plus a removeable hub for easier installation. We feel we have the most proven, highest quality and most reliable pulley on the market.
Very nice!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM

E55
ASP Dampners

Broken parts suck and no one wants to be left on the side of the road ,but to clear things up, ASP manufactures a modified MB dampner thus your car has all the harmonic damping needed. ASP DID NOT design, engineer or test the LET( Eurocharged ) parts. ASP is only a manufacturer and makes what the customer orders. The ASp pn is 331390 at 180mm
Attached Thumbnails Pulley Carnage-331390.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bontempsrouler
Broken parts suck and no one wants to be left on the side of the road ,but to clear things up, ASP manufactures a modified MB dampner thus your car has all the harmonic damping needed. ASP DID NOT design, engineer or test the LET( Eurocharged ) parts. ASP is only a manufacturer and makes what the customer orders. The ASp pn is 331390 at 180mm
All,

I bought the ASP 180mm pulley and it's under my desk now. This is from ASP, manufactured by them and I bought it directly from them. As soon as I get it on, I will share my feedback with you all.

Great thread, very valuable feedback.

Alex
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
your incorrect. We went back and fourth on the product with ASP and modified drawings accordingly. The pulley is and always has been internally mechanically dampened.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I have run ASP pulley`s on all my cars and all my trucks for the last 15 years! Never had a single one fail or wobble! ASP idler pulley kit and ASP crank pulley has been perfect for me! No wobble and damn sure no failures.. I think the ASP pulley , is the best kept secret going.. Like the energizer bunny! Great power and great price, from a company that has been making pulley`s for over 20 years.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i have the older (welded) design ASP pulley and i am very happy with it.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by loungn14
your incorrect. We went back and fourth on the product with ASP and modified drawings accordingly. The pulley is and always has been internally mechanically dampened.
I am sure Lee from ASP will be chiming in on this subject in the very near future!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:11 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Again, everyone see Simon's post above. Any pulley using the stock damper will fail as the stock damper fails far more often than acceptable.

Don't want people to miss this point!

thanks
brad
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
I've had two pulleys on y car. First was an older Eurocharged desgin pulley with no issue except the install! If the bolt backs out and destroys the wodruff key the falt is the install. This cost the Indy that did the orginal install a f*%K **** load of money for a new engine for my car. Jerry replaced the pulley at no charge withe the new ASP manufactured 172mm pulley. I have 0 issues and Jerry's tune make the cars way too much fun to drive! My wife even loves it!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
RENNtech has a 178mm pulley...
Is the RENNtech pulley $20,000 or $30,000 ?

I know that piece of mind is valuable, but last time I looked , it was hard to justify the asking price.. reminded me of the old (M3) AC Schntzer Wheels for $4500/ea.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
I am sure Lee from ASP will be chiming in on this subject in the very near future!
my god man, take a break. We talk to lee from asp all the time. Here is the origional post from March...

https://mbworld.org/forums/3964885-post1.html

Originally Posted by Eurocharged

Eurocharged Performance has teamed up with ASP to co-design, co-engineer, and produce what we think is one of the best pulleys on the market.

It’s been 6 long months, and many hours of engineering work, but the end results speak for themselves.

The newest generation pulley has some design changes that will allow for an easier install, and more performance over the competition due to the lightweight material used. The 172mm pulley is 2.55 lbs lighter than the stock Mercedes pulley!

So how did this come about?

Well, last summer, Eurocharged was struggling with our current supplier to keep up with production. The pullies were leaving the shelves, and our lead time was growing exponentially. Something had to change. So, we thought who better then to talk to about pulley manufacturing then Auto Specialty Performance? A phone call was all it took, and a new relationship was formed. After countless drawing revisions, quality testing, and field testing, we feel we have really created the perfect product. ASP now fabricates and assembles all of our pullies directly at their headquarters in Stafford TX!
Brad mades a very good point here....

Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
Again, everyone see Simon's post above. Any pulley using the stock damper will fail as the stock damper fails far more often than acceptable.

thanks
brad
+1
Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
i got a 2nd hand Evo-sport 168mm --- been on the car for about 10 months -- it has been doing a fine job for me ----

I am not the only one to have this opinion but the extra large pulleys may not be all they are cracked up to be --

- my friend has a 180mm- super sprint LT -tune -HE and pump - no cats but has 20inch wheels --- we were neck and neck and you can see my mods but i had all cats at that time.-- ... but there are probably a dozen variables ---
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Nah, I doubt it.. Lee does not have time for posting or interest in getting into flame fest..

brad @ evosport Again, everyone see Simon's post above. Any pulley using the stock damper will fail as the stock damper fails far more often than acceptable.

This point has not come up on this forum with any regularity.. Maybe the I/C pump but not the dampner..

The pulley`s we see fail are the ones that vendors attempt to have made to replicate the factory balancer.. The ASP welded pulley`s have been great for years now..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Yes, Simon brought it up earlier in the thread. Talk to any dealer tech who specializes in this car, the factory damper is a problem. Re-using the stock part that fails is a bad idea IMHO.

thanks
brad
Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 PM

2004 E55
I have the same exact pulley as exotic metal. Actually he had ours custom designed, so that means of the four made we have a 100% success rate! Nice pic Brooke, looks like my rear antenna.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by loungn14
my god man, take a break. We talk to lee from asp all the time.
Thank you for calling me God but I have never claimed to be THAT GOOD!

During recent conversations with Lee(Friday July 30th and Monday August 2nd to be exact) in which we discussed YOUR failing pulley, he told me that he told you(or whoever was in charge of your company at the time) that the design would fail but YOUR company decided to go ahead anyway. That came directly from Lee who is a straight up and stand up person and I have no reason to doubt him.

Lee will make you anything that you want since he is a machine shop not an engineering firm and sending drawings back and forth isn't what I call engineering.

Why not address the fact that this thread is about 5 of YOUR pulley's failing regardless of your so called R&D instead of picking posts to comment on!

Take a break from what? Aren't you an IT guy Jake and just happened to put money into a sinking ship!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Nah, I doubt it.. Lee does not have time for posting or interest in getting into flame fest..
No flame fest Brooke. Just facts and experiences stating that a pulley that was supposed to be the latest and greatest has failed many times in its first batch. That speaks volumes.

Lee would build a sprocket for a bicycle if you contracted him for one but to try and use ASP's credibility to promote it, and for a product whose design had already failed by a former vendor, is sad.

You've helped out members with the idler pulley issues with Lee, but when you are replacing a plastic pulley design with aluminum, there is very little development needed except for which bearing to use. And for this we all owe you many ! Thanks Brooke!!

Aren't you opening up a shop in TX? Good luck with it!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
No flame fest Brooke. Just facts and experiences stating that a pulley that was supposed to be the latest and greatest has failed many times in its first batch. That speaks volumes.

Lee would build a sprocket for a bicycle if you contracted him for one but to try and use ASP's credibility to promote it, and for a product whose design had already failed by a former vendor, is sad.

You've helped out members with the idler pulley issues with Lee, but when you are replacing a plastic pulley design with aluminum, there is very little development needed except for which bearing to use. And for this we all owe you many ! Thanks Brooke!!

Aren't you opening up a shop in TX? Good luck with it!

Was not referring to you as creating a flame fest, just stating that Lee does not come on the boards and get in the position of being a target (smart thing to do).. Correct, Lee is a stand up guy and anyone can call him up and he will tell it like it is.. Also true, that Lee /ASP will make anything you want and makes product for Dinan, Summit racing, Jegs, Mustang shops and much more..

Yes, He also made me a custom 185mm pulley (lightweight alum. version) and idler pulleys to the specs I wanted.. I wanted things light and I wanted them pretty..

You asking me if I am opening a shop, as in car shop I assume? Strange question on an open forum and on a pulley thread.. I guess I am laughing pretty hard right now and should be insulted by the small term of "shop" -"car shop" or tuner shop..lol Hell no! If that even deserves a reply.. You might want to start thinking Electric shop pretty soon, if you want to stay in the "shop" business.. Damn you are funny Bruce..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Hell no! If that even deserves a reply.. You might want to start thinking Electric shop pretty soon, if you want to stay in the "shop" business.. Damn you are funny Bruce..
Not the word I would have chosen, but still worth a good laugh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pulley Carnage