W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Carnage

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulley Carnage

I've finally thrown in the towel, I have now had the fourth pulley tear itself loose and have now resigned myself to the stock unit. While I commend L.E.T. for sending out a new unit each time the ancillary costs have now become outrageous. I've had to replace a broken Woodruf key to the tune of $2k, towed my car several times, replaced four accessory belts, and a water pump. I know the old adage rings true "pay to play" but this is too much. My question to the board is who makes a reliable pulley, and is it safe to run a tune on my car with the stocker. I've attached pics of the broken units one of them being the new and improved version which broke when I was still in my neighborhood at low speed. One was sent back to the manufacturer because they were "curious" as to why it broke. Took some pics before they all went in the trash can.
Attached Thumbnails Pulley Carnage-sdc11814.jpg  
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM

Takes the bus.
That's ridiculous!
my condolences.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I have the Renntech 172mm and it's been perfectly fine. I'm thinking about upgrade to ASP 180mm and have heard a lot of good things about them. As far as running stock pulley on a tune car, I would think it's ok except for your car will be running a little richer than it suppose to be. What size pulley do you have?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
This is why I've held off on upgrading to a larger pulley. I'm waiting to see how the ASP pulleys hold out after they have some miles on them. Every time I considered the LET, a thread like this pops up.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
My ASP/Eurocharged 180mm pulley has been very stout so far though I would stay clear of their tune. Their pulley is a nice piece-the new one., heard of problems with their old units. What exactly is breaking on them? The bolts holding them together?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I see no reason why the manufacturer should not be held responsible for any and all damage related to the failure of their part. What possible argument could they have for not stepping up and paying for your damages?

Fwiw I have a Renntech 178mm pulley and it is built like a tank, from the Merceds oem part. I cannot imagine this thing comming apart....ever.

GL man!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM

The pulley in the middle is the new asp eurocharged unit. That lasted less than 2 mths. At one point I had my car checked thinking that it was the problem but it's fine. I will be ordering the renntech very soon.

Last edited by oslowley; 06-05-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Thanks for stepping up and sharing your personal experience with the rest of us. Hope you have better luck with renntech.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Couple of things. For one, thank you for posting this. It is time there is some transparency here with these mods vs people trying new mods and hiding the negatives such as CELs, poor idle, stalling, busted parts, etc. This is what this forum is all about, not to just hide behind pride, but to share the bad with the good.

Secondly, can you post a larger pic? At least new ASP/Eurocharged pulley. I would like to see what has failed so that I can keep a close eye on mine. You could even send it to me and I will host it for this thread.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
It seems that the consensus on this forum is that we don't believe vendors are responsible for ancillary costs when their product is clearly defective. I believe otherwise. This is what I am referring to, https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...n-gtpro-3.html
Good luck to you.

Last edited by BerBer63; 06-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Pics of the new ASP/Eurocharged pulley. They all fail at the same bolts. I have no complaints with the tune it's been good even in the dead of a nasty S.Fla summer, but the hardware...that's another issue entirely. ARP bolts, as I suggested to the vendor would solve the problem, I assumed that's what going with ASP was all about, better manufacturing, better parts, I guess it's more important to cut a few corners than retain customers.
Attached Thumbnails Pulley Carnage-sdc11822.jpg   Pulley Carnage-sdc11823.jpg  

Last edited by oslowley; 06-05-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
How do you know the tune is "good"?
Not hating, just wondering if you are keeping an eye on fuel, timing or knock?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Nope, just basing it on the fact that my engine hasn't gone the way of the Dodo. With the dyno tune and pulley the car made good power, but I feel now it's time to move on, I have no confidence in the vendor, it's in my best interest to go elsewhere. Regards.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
And that is the key point right there, just because the motor has not yet grenaded does not=a good tune. The people with blown motors all thought their tune was good.......

I'm going to look at my pulley, but I swear it was black vs the one above unless it comes in custom colors. Thank you for posting those pics. Wonder if the grade of bolts used is not up to spec. Is there damage beyond the bolts themselves where new bolts would put it all back together? Thanks for posting.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Where my fingers are you'll see the scoring and the broken bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Pulley Carnage-sdc11825.jpg  
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
For whatever it's worth....I ran an evosport pulley on my car for over a year and had zero issues with it and great results on the track and street. EVO stuff is def good quality. Good luck
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I feel for you, the time, expense, hassle. Just flat out sucks. Kleeman has a very good rep.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Zero for four? No one could fault you in the least for being gun-shy after having suffered those failures.
40,000+ trouble-free miles with another sponsor’s oversized crank pulley/harmonic damper. Knock wood.

I see no reason why the manufacturer should not be held responsible for any and all damage related to the failure of their part. What possible argument could they have for not stepping up and paying for your damages?..
All due respect, that’s simply not the case from most performance-oriented aftermarket equipment and tuning concerns.
To wit,

DISCLAIMER:
Proper service and repair procedures are vital to the safe, reliable operation of all motor vehicles as well as the personal safety of those performing the repairs. Standard safety procedures and precautions (including use of safety goggles and proper tools and equipment) should be followed at all times to eliminate the possibility of personal injury or improper service which could damage the vehicle or compromise its safety.
Although this material has been prepared with the intent to provide reliable information, no warranty (express or implied) is made as to its accuracy or completeness. Neither is any liability assumed for loss or damage resulting from reliance on this material. SPECIFICALLY, NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY IS MADE OR TO BE IMPLIED WITH RESPECT TO THIS MATERIAL. In no event will ***, its employees, or its parent or affiliates (*** Motorsports) be liable for any damages, direct or indirect, consequential or compensatory, arising out of the use of this material. Please remember that modifing a car outside its normal o.e.m status, software or hardware, could be risky. ALL MODIFICATION CONTAINS SOME LEVEL OF RISK, AND THAT RISK IS ASSUMED BY THE CUSTOMER.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
IN NO EVENT SHALL *** BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER IN ACTION OR UNDER CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE. Under no circumstance, including, but not limited to, negligence, shall eurocharged.com be liable for any damages that result from the use of, or inability to use, the information, materials or products contained in or purchased. Further, *** shall have no liability or responsibility for any delay in the delivery, installation or use of the products, as well as the service life of the products, performance, applicability for the use intended, proper installation, or the accuracy of information provided. *** will not be responsible for lost or stolen packages, nor damage caused by our products to other parts on the vehicle.
*** PRODUCTS ARE FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY
*** Warranty Information:
*** warrants to the consumer that all of our hardware (NON TUNING) will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of two (2) months from date of the original purchase. Hardware that fails within this 2 month warranty period will be repaired or replaced at ***’s option, when determined by *** that the product failed due to defects in material or workmanship. This warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the ***. In no event shall this warranty exceed the original purchase price of the *** part nor shall *** be responsible for special, incidental or consequential damages or cost incurred due to the failure of this product. If the product is professionally installed, the products will be warranted for a period of twelve months. Written proof of the installation that includes date of install is required to verify warranty claims. Warranty claims to *** must be transportation prepaid and accompanied with dated proof of purchase. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of product and is non-transferable. All implied warranties shall be limited in duration to the said 2 month warranty period. Improper use or installation, use for racing, accident, abuse, unauthorized repairs or alterations voids this warranty. *** disclaims any liability for consequential damages due to breach of any written or implied warranty on all products manufactured by ***. Warranty returns will only be accepted by *** when accompanied by a valid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number. Credit for defective products will be issued pending inspection. Product must be received by *** within 30 days of the date RMA is issued. If you have a warranty issue, please email *** and a customer service representative will assist you. A proof of purchase is required for all *** warranty claims.
Emphasis theirs.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not going to read all of that 'stuff' above, but can say that reputation does go a ways for a tuner. And a bad rep can really hurt sales.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
This is not something new. This has been and always will be the case. They will replace the part that broke, but not the labor to replace it or ancillary parts that may have been damaged.

Thats the risk you taking with modifying your vehicle.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
To me a reworked oem (old ASP - despite the crppy looking welds its held for 14k miles now) is the way to go - also the harmonic balancing remains oem...

Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by stevebez
To me a reworked oem (old ASP - despite the crppy looking welds its held for 14k miles now) is the way to go - also the harmonic balancing remains oem...

I was thinking the same thing, a one piece unit would be more durable, it may have a bit of play but so long as it's within tolerances I see no problems.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
yikes 0/4. At this point i'd go with Renntech or kleemann. Sorry to hear all the issues you have!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Wow that's a lot of failures. Unfortunately, with modding there are always unforeseen problems.. it just comes with the territory.

fwiw my Evosport pulley has be good to me for over 2 years.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Originally Posted by oslowley
I've finally thrown in the towel, I have now had the fourth pulley tear itself loose and have now resigned myself to the stock unit. While I commend L.E.T. for sending out a new unit each time the ancillary costs have now become outrageous. I've had to replace a broken Woodruf key to the tune of $2k, towed my car several times, replaced four accessory belts, and a water pump. I know the old adage rings true "pay to play" but this is too much. My question to the board is who makes a reliable pulley, and is it safe to run a tune on my car with the stocker. I've attached pics of the broken units one of them being the new and improved version which broke when I was still in my neighborhood at low speed. One was sent back to the manufacturer because they were "curious" as to why it broke. Took some pics before they all went in the trash can.

There should be police tape around that scene

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pulley Carnage