W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Carnage

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
Problem is that the OEM pulleys fail too - it is a common dealer replacement item. =( Adding more weight to a known factory failure point was not something that sat well with us here at evosport!
+1
With all the issues I’ve had with my engine build (2.5 yrs/$50K+) I’m not taking any more chances. I'm going with the most proven, highest quality, and most reliable active dampening pulley on the market.. Evosport’s new 178 Power Pulley!!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Havoc
+1
With all the issues I’ve had with my engine build (2.5 yrs/$50K+) I’m not taking any more chances. I'm going with the most proven, highest quality, and most reliable active dampening pulley on the market.. Evosport’s new 178 Power Pulley!!
Wow , blast from the past.. I thought you went with the Corvette Zo6 as your answer.. I saw you drive it right past my office in H town, as you left Global with it..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Thank you for calling me God but I have never claimed to be THAT GOOD!

During recent conversations with Lee(Friday July 30th and Monday August 2nd to be exact) in which we discussed YOUR failing pulley, he told me that he told you(or whoever was in charge of your company at the time) that the design would fail but YOUR company decided to go ahead anyway. That came directly from Lee who is a straight up and stand up person and I have no reason to doubt him.

Lee will make you anything that you want since he is a machine shop not an engineering firm and sending drawings back and forth isn't what I call engineering.

Why not address the fact that this thread is about 5 of YOUR pulley's failing regardless of your so called R&D instead of picking posts to comment on!

Take a break from what? Aren't you an IT guy Jake and just happened to put money into a sinking ship!
Stangely enough we just talked to lee and i quote (even had him send it again via txt to be sure) and yes he is a great guy.

"no i did not say your stuff would fail, that is silly"

Nice try bruce.

and the OP didn't have 5 asp pullies. Only the last one was made by asp after we made changes that we discussed in the previous post.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Wow , blast from the past.. I thought you went with the Corvette Zo6 as your answer.. I saw you drive it right past my office in H town, as you left Global with it..
Yeah, I did.
But then I can't give up on building the most powerful 55K ever built!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by loungn14
Stangely enough we just talked to lee and i quote (even had him send it again via txt to be sure) and yes he is a great guy.

"no i did not say your stuff would fail, that is silly"
Nice try bruce.

and the OP didn't have 5 asp pullies. Only the last one was made by asp after we made changes that we discussed in the previous post.
Oh my, who would have ever thought that Bruce, from TTM, would LET the facts get in the way of the real story.

Kind of reminds me of my local paper that prints the story before checking their facts, and then NEVER follows up on reality

Way to go Bruce, your credibility is gaining leaps and bounds
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Not for nothing, both Simon and Jake have an iron in this fire. Bruce, not so much. Whatever Lee has said, it is still hearsay until he types it out in a public forum, which is highly unlikely to happen.
I'm with Bruce on this issue. Five pulley failures along with said pulley design having been updated. If vendors are going to use the general public as their own R&D session, then the purchasers should be duly notified. Would you agree that the original design must of had some shortcomings if they "made changes"? Honestly what would motivate a manufacturer to make changes aside from reliability issues or decreasing cost?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what's the consensus guys, which pulley is bullet proof? Want to enjoy the car for a bit before I dump her for a 65.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
This thread is not Kosher!

What would Lee say if I called him?

Would he plead the 5th?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I doubt Lee is going to say or do anything which might reduce his business.

oslowley, all I can say is that I have an older ASP modified stock pulley, and I have not encountered any issues with it. Any comment from a seller/supplier should be taken with a grain of salt as they are naturally going to push their product. As well, if something is being touted as "new" or "improved", one should be careful. The flipside to "new" is that long term feedback are few, if any. GL!