Need Trunk reservoir ideas/help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Need Trunk reservoir ideas/help?

Planning on adding a 5 gallon trunk tank and wanted to know the best set up out there.. I know a lot of you have mastered this by now..

1)Are two pumps needed?
2)What is the best direction to flow the pumps?
3) Anyone using quick connect lines and what hoses do the best job?
4) If you run a rear pump, do you wire it to the same direct circuit?

Any tricks to draining and adding ice? Level of water VS ice? Any help would be appreciated.

In day to day driving, does the extra water help IAT`s on short runs?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
I run 2 cm30s with mine...and yes, I know how you feel about those! I have both pumps wired to the same circuit. If the car is on, they are always running. I didn't do quick couplers and used the Good Year heater hose. I would say that this set-up definitely helps on short runs as iats don't get too high and recover very quickly. I am stoked with how will this set-up has worked. Also, I haven't yet run ice so can't help you on that one.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Thanks. Does your main feed line coming off the tnak go to the S/C intercooler line or to the front pump , to feed the S/C line? What pump is he direct feed to the S/C?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
1) No, I'm running a single CM90 and it shoots out the resevoir like a jacuzzi! (slight exaggeration lol) Most use 3/4" line but I have my entire intercooler system set up to run 1" lines.
2) Not sure what you mean by what direction. Mine goes resevoir -> pump -> intercooler -> heat exchanger -> resevoir
3) No, I just welded 1" bead rolled pipe on the resevoir and heat exchanger I used some good quality hose though, don't want that rupturing!

You can add a valve and drill a hole through the trunk to drain the resevoir or you can just use a transfer pump. Adding ice is easy and self explanatory as I'm sure you already know. I put my feed line on the resevoir on the back bottom right corner so that it still gets a good amoutn of water under hard acceleration. I then put the return line on the op corner of the opoosite side (on the front) to keep the coolest water to the back (feed)
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I am rolling with twin 90's and still wonder if it's actually too much flow for the intercooler. Getting too lazy in my geezer modding days to find out too.

Works great though and YES works great for short blasts etc. You'll be shocked though how fast it heats up.

You can fill the tank with ice and water.....do a burn out and full run and she'll be as warm as a cup of coffee after. These things are volcanos of heat.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am rolling with twin 90's and still wonder if it's actually too much flow for the intercooler. Getting too lazy in my geezer modding days to find out too.

Works great though and YES works great for short blasts etc. You'll be shocked though how fast it heats up.

You can fill the tank with ice and water.....do a burn out and full run and she'll be as warm as a cup of coffee after. These things are volcanos of heat.
What size lines are you running? Your return must be shooting all the way across the resevoir lol.

I have yet to make a pass with ice in mine but I expect it to melt pretty quickly. From time to time I put my hand in the resevoir after driving for a while and am amazed how hot it gets. Makes me wonder how hot it was getting before without the resevoir and sitting between passes! Ice should be great for 1/4 mile runs but looks like meth injection or nitrous are the best IAT coolers. Just my opinion based on what I've seen so far (not much). Many people have reported increased dyno numbers with ice in the res and better 1/4 numbers so I hope I see the same. Ice water has got to be good for something right? lol

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What size lines are you running? Your return must be shooting all the way across the resevoir lol.
Just the 3/4" but with the pumps whining in the front and back, then the airmatic activation and SBC brake pump whizzing, it sounds like the shuttle is about to fire up when you turn the key.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Just the 3/4" but with the pumps whining in the front and back, then the airmatic activation and SBC brake pump whizzing, it sounds like the shuttle is about to fire up when you turn the key.
LOL,,, now that is a pump set up!

Anyone try using finned tubing for the return line? Should work like one long heat exchanger? Was looking into this some but thought I would ask.

Amhad, thanks for details on your set up.. Especially about keeping in bound hot water on opposite side of cool water.. I guess a divider shelf in the tank may help some and also baffle water slosh.. Understand how to use one pump now and may try that to start.. Shardul just gave me an extra HD bosch , so if my Meziere can not keep up, then will add second pump to flow from tank to blower. I have heard of some using one pump and some two, just wondering if one does the trick or two helps? Trying to by pass all the trial and error stuff and just knock this mod right out..

Don`t know about the rest of the counytry but it is hotter than the center of Sun here in H town.. I thought my air filter boxes were close to melting the other day..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Haha that's awesome! Do you have a radar detector too that makes beeping sounds and stuff?
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
LOL,,, now that is a pump set up!

Anyone try using finned tubing for the return line? Should work like one long heat exchanger? Was looking into this some but thought I would ask.

Amhad, thanks for details on your set up.. Especially about keeping in bound hot water on opposite side of cool water.. I guess a divider shelf in the tank may help some and also baffle water slosh.. Understand how to use one pump now and may try that to start.. Shardul just gave me an extra HD bosch , so if my Meziere can not keep up, then will add second pump to flow from tank to blower. I have heard of some using one pump and some two, just wondering if one does the trick or two helps? Trying to by pass all the trial and error stuff and just knock this mod right out..

Don`t know about the rest of the counytry but it is hotter than the center of Sun here in H town.. I thought my air filter boxes were close to melting the other day..
No problem, the more info people share the better end product we all come up with Let me see if I can find something to take video of my rear resevoir so you can see how much it flows. Keep in mind I have 1" lines so it would come out faster if they were 3/4".
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
These types of pumps cavitate easily if air gets in the line, and are made to push rather than pull. For those reasons, mount your pump as near the reservoir as possible, in the configuration Ahmad listed. If you are going to run a second pump, I would suggest having it up front before the intercooler. As for wiring, these pump do not draw much current, however If I was running two pumps I would go with a relay being activated by the factory wiring. As for hoses, the standard heater hose(Goodyear or whatever) is the easiest to work with but I prefer this hose http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marin...ssoriesQ5fGear
This hose is harder to get over the fittings but it has an advantage in that you can bend it around any corner and it never collapses or pinches.

G/L
Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by lowprofile
These types of pumps cavitate easily if air gets in the line, and are made to push rather than pull. For those reasons, mount your pump as near the reservoir as possible, in the configuration Ahmad listed. If you are going to run a second pump, I would suggest having it up front before the intercooler. As for wiring, these pump do not draw much current, however If I was running two pumps I would go with a relay being activated by the factory wiring. As for hoses, the standard heater hose(Goodyear or whatever) is the easiest to work with but I prefer this hose http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marin...ssoriesQ5fGear
This hose is harder to get over the fittings but it has an advantage in that you can bend it around any corner and it never collapses or pinches.

G/L

I like the Marine hose idea.

2) Not sure what you mean by what direction. Mine goes resevoir -> pump -> intercooler -> heat exchanger -> resevoir
Amhad, is your pump near the trunk tank or up front near your engine, like it is on the E55 class? If I run one pump, my Meziare will be pulling 10 feet from the trunk tank=then into intercooler=then into two H/E`s...

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
1. I think you definitely need two pumps to make it work. I would go with two CM30 pumps, one by the rear reservoir and one by the HE.

2. the direction of flow, this is where it get tricky. You want the coolest water to the IC the quickest. So with ice, you want it go from the ice reservoir straight to the IC. But without ice, you want to go from the HE straight to the IC. So maybe we can put in couple shut off valves and shut the HE out when we use the ice box, I don't know just a thought.

3. you can use a third pump to get the extra water out after the run or you can just use a hose and your mouth to siphon it off.

4. Yes, and no. If you want the car to control the pumps then wire them together, but then you have to check to see if the stock fuse is strong enough to handle both pumps. I would just let the front one control by the car, and the second one is always on when the car is on. Hope this help.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
So maybe we can put in couple shut off valves and shut the HE out when we use the ice box, I don't know just a thought.
i like this idea, definately something to consider.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Amhad, is your pump near the trunk tank or up front near your engine, like it is on the E55 class? If I run one pump, my Meziare will be pulling 10 feet from the trunk tank=then into intercooler=then into two H/E`s...
Up front near the engine.
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
1. I think you definitely need two pumps to make it work. I would go with two CM30 pumps, one by the rear reservoir and one by the HE.

2. the direction of flow, this is where it get tricky. You want the coolest water to the IC the quickest. So with ice, you want it go from the ice reservoir straight to the IC. But without ice, you want to go from the HE straight to the IC. So maybe we can put in couple shut off valves and shut the HE out when we use the ice box, I don't know just a thought.

3. you can use a third pump to get the extra water out after the run or you can just use a hose and your mouth to siphon it off.

4. Yes, and no. If you want the car to control the pumps then wire them together, but then you have to check to see if the stock fuse is strong enough to handle both pumps. I would just let the front one control by the car, and the second one is always on when the car is on. Hope this help.
You don't need 2 pumps but everyone seems to liek to run 2 smaller pumps.

Oh and don't siphon with your mouth, just buy a transfer pump. They are cheap.

I thought about shut off valves but decided it wasn't worth the hassle lol
Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW's
Definitely the why Ahmad is running his set up will work great although I would suggest running one more pump inline Reservoir-> pump-> IC-> pump-> HE -> back to reservoir. This will help the warm water return to the cooling reservoir quicker.

If you run inline another Meziere pump go with 1" hosing. Also on your reservoir tank you can weld on a butterfly valve and run a small hose out to drain water when needed.

Only prepare to make one or two passes with ice in the tank because it will melt fairly quickly so bring to the track lots of it

These engines run hot and its tough to keep the heat out and the charged air cool.