Dealer and mileage on car after service, really confused

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Dealer and mileage on car after service, really confused

I picked up my car earlier today (saturday) after spending 3 weeks at the dealer. I received a call Friday afternoon from my SA that my car was ready for pick-up but I was unable to make it. Anyways, I get into my car and notice that there are oily stains all along my passenger door, lower dash, and glove box area, this didn't really bother me too much but they should have cleaned it. I then go into my trunk to find that all my belongings are scattered throughout the trunk, I had all my things in the net on the right side of the trunk which was now broken with two of the plastic clips that hold it place snapped off. At this point i'm paranoid and begin examining my car to then find in the backseat that there are tiny indents all over the back passenger side seat and arm rest. I then called over the assistant service manager (my SA was off) and he documented all the things wrong and said he will talk to the service manager and that I should come back Monday to discuss the condition of my car. I left the dealer and was on my way home when I decided to go through my phone to check what the mileage on my car was when I dropped it off (wouldn't want someone taking my car out for a joy ride) i've attached two pictures below, one from when I dropped the car off and the other from the drive home, now heres my question.

Notice the trip mileage and the actual car mileage, does that make any sense? Did they drive it 100 km's and reset the actual car mileage or is there any way possible that the trip mileage got messed up some how?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
That is odd! You got me paranoid now...next time I take my 65 for warranty works I'm going to take a video of my exterior, interior, trunk...plus a pic of my odometer and fuel level.

If the 100km (62miles) difference is correct on your trip computer, I would be pissed.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
That's honestly the most unsettling discovery I've seen. Especially being that this is the 3rd or 4th disturbing dealership thread in the past week or two.

Being that I've had a really nasty experience just like this at a local dealership (one where they took my car for a joy ride and actually collided my car into something breaking the front lip...) it's becoming pretty apparent that joy riding is a common occurrence in dealerships world wide

What's it going to end with? A totaled SLR or BS before Mercedes starts taking lot jockey jobs a little more seriously?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:32 AM

CLS55 - SL55 - RRS Supercharged
Off topic but what was wrong with your car to be at the dealership for 3 weeks
Old 06-27-2010, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Originally Posted by thisisvybe
Off topic but what was wrong with your car to be at the dealership for 3 weeks
Oil leak (replaced oil level sensor) , drivers door window seal leaking (replaced seal), trunk leaking ( https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ce-needed.html ) which needed a part from Germany and took a little over a week to come in, cold start problems (replaced crankshaft sensor), and low battery warning (replaced alternator).
Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 AM

2006 STi
Does the car have two different tripometer settings? I think most cars have two different tripometers that you can swith back and forth between with a push of a button(normally it's the knob on the gauge cluster).
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flying Spur
Originally Posted by Gun-nut
Does the car have two different tripometer settings? I think most cars have two different tripometers that you can swith back and forth between with a push of a button(normally it's the knob on the gauge cluster).
im 99.9% sure that it only has one tripmeter
Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Definitely disturbing. These dealerships are mostly all scum. To be honest I have taken my car to get custom work done at a few shops and I always raise the car to make sure these people do not get curb rash or something and every time I pick my car up it is dropped all the way down and I find new scuffs
Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Nothing exciting now, hopeful future E55/63 owner!
That multiple trip odometer is a good idea. If that's not it, then it seems there is only one other possibility and that is that the odometer was rolled back......anyone know if that's possible with STAR or another method??? Seems odd that if the techs were going to all that trouble, they wouldn't at least reset the trip odo to zero or something..........

Maybe there is a simple explanation. If not, I suggest that rolling back the odo might possibly be illegal.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Originally Posted by kc92hatch
That multiple trip odometer is a good idea. If that's not it, then it seems there is only one other possibility and that is that the odometer was rolled back......anyone know if that's possible with STAR or another method??? Seems odd that if the techs were going to all that trouble, they wouldn't at least reset the trip odo to zero or something..........

Maybe there is a simple explanation. If not, I suggest that rolling back the odo might possibly be illegal.
Its illegal but they would never admit it to it lol and before anything could be proven they would simply reset the trip odometer.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
I think it's damn near impossible to change the ODO... The car stores it in several places to avoid tampering... I don't know specifics, but I do know it's stored in a few modules and cannot be changed... The pictures definitely are interesting though... My best guess would be that maybe it has 2 trip meters? Then again, I never noticed 2 trip meters in my car... Did you by chance take a look at the amount of gas your car has?

Though it's too late now, perhaps put in one of those chips that monitor your vehicle for future visits...
Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Hmmm..very interesting and disturbing. Usually, I stay at the dealer when the car is getting serviced for this very reason.

I know for a fact when I get my X-Pel put on the CLS the installer (or one of his workers) went for a joy ride. He knocked off $125, I fixed a simple problem on his PC and it was even.

I thought that the digital ODO on MB's was impossible to change? In addition, changing ODO readings is illegal, never heard of a case where it was justified. On the CLS there is only one trip meter, something is very strange with the whole situation. I would definitely take this up with the SA/SM armed with the pics to get an explanation.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM

2013 E350
If I had a better memory, I'd be sure, but I think they go into an engineering mode or maintenance mode that changes the value of the trip odometer.

I've noticed when I pick my car up sometimes that the trip odometer no longer makes sense since I reset it at every fill up.

JK
Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
That's what I was wondering. Cruising it around and beating on it in "Dyno Mode"

I gotta try it and see what it shows up.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
On the E55 there are two trip odometers. I would assume that the CLS would be the same. One says at reset and one says at restart. If you use the steering wheel controls and get the trip odometer then press the up or down arrow in the left you will see the other trip odometer before you get the fuel range screen.