W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a E55 but didn't feel that fast!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 - W209 CLK (gone)
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Trust me, try not to get 03 better with 05+
any specific reason why?
i wanna know because i have a very limited budget... thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I think the nav is different,maybe has a bigger heatexchanger and they added an oil cooler under the heatexchanger in the 04+

Icould be wrong about the actual size,but I think they made it bigger in the 04+ years if someone can confirm.

In gerneral you want to stay away from first year model cars because they have all the bugs.

Im pretty sure it wont play mp3s and wont sync up with iphones either
Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Originally Posted by icecream
any specific reason why?
i wanna know because i have a very limited budget... thanks
I read about the unreliability of the 03 cars and as an owner with 40K miles, it has been the most reliable car I have owned. Outside of some CEL when I was redoing the cats it has never had a single problem.... those problems were all self induced and cleared up once I figured out the cats and O2 sensor positioning. I am running Kleemann K2 hardware.

I have done the dealer recalls but it has never been in for anything other than routine service. So, I would guess it depends on the car. Check dealer service records and maybe you can find one with minimal problems.

No Nav and no iPod/iPhone connections. I installed new HU with XM, iPod and phone connections so don't really miss the OEM stuff.

Good luck on your search. Mark.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Two of the larger issues with early models are the radiator/trans fluid mixing issue (03-early 04), and clutch pack ,03-04. That I can remember. Apart from that your good to go.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM

2003 BMW M3
So I took the 2005 E55 out for the second test drive and WOW is it FAST!! My stomach was in my throat. But on the highway the steering didn't feel tight and it was in Sport mode 2. I wasn't really feeling the car so the search continues. But it is the fastest car I've been in for sure!!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM

W211 E55 - W209 CLK (gone)
Originally Posted by skratch77
I think the nav is different,maybe has a bigger heatexchanger and they added an oil cooler under the heatexchanger in the 04+

Icould be wrong about the actual size,but I think they made it bigger in the 04+ years if someone can confirm.

In gerneral you want to stay away from first year model cars because they have all the bugs.

Im pretty sure it wont play mp3s and wont sync up with iphones either
Originally Posted by mkeeton
I read about the unreliability of the 03 cars and as an owner with 40K miles, it has been the most reliable car I have owned. Outside of some CEL when I was redoing the cats it has never had a single problem.... those problems were all self induced and cleared up once I figured out the cats and O2 sensor positioning. I am running Kleemann K2 hardware.

I have done the dealer recalls but it has never been in for anything other than routine service. So, I would guess it depends on the car. Check dealer service records and maybe you can find one with minimal problems.

No Nav and no iPod/iPhone connections. I installed new HU with XM, iPod and phone connections so don't really miss the OEM stuff.

Good luck on your search. Mark.
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Two of the larger issues with early models are the radiator/trans fluid mixing issue (03-early 04), and clutch pack ,03-04. That I can remember. Apart from that your good to go.
thanks guys...
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Oh and just so you don't think I'm hating on Mercedes, my mildly modified 993TT can barely get out of its own way.
Originally Posted by stevebez
Nice P car ... Last of the aircooled era. Tell me does it feel fast to you? Or is it also slow?
see above

Originally Posted by juicee63
sorry folks,

The E55 is a BRUTALLY FAST LUXURY SEDAN.

What is even more amazing, perhaps is the fact Mr. Oliver K is ignores the fact the E55 can run 10s and be street legal. NAME A 10 second car that can be DRIVEN comfortably to the track? Thanks I anticipate your response..LOL

The young kid is entitled to post what he wishes but seems to be posting more for entertainment purposes.

I have had guys running 5 second 1/4 mile passes come up to our group and specifically ask WTF is in the E55?

The truth is the E55 is fast, it feels fast and it is also quite nice inside.

Oliver, you did not pilot the dragster so who cares? Your experience seeing a friend run 9's cannot add to this discussion as it is not relavant. Indeed FASTER cars are amongst us, again moot.

The OP when comparing an E55 to an M3, M5, M anything should be impressed with the acceleration.The AMG should feel FASTER than the car previously owned by the OP. If it feels like blah, it is broken.
If you're used to a honda accord, yes an E55 will be brutally fast. If you're used to BMW M3s, not so much.

There are plenty of modified cars than can run 10s and drive to the track in back in comfort. Lets start with a Mustang GT500, then transition to a Z06 Corvette, add in a turbo Porsche, substitute a Nissan GTR, replace with a MKIV toyota supra, or a buick grand national or.....any number of other cars.

You could put a turbo 4.6L DOHC in a lincoln Towncar and run 10s and then take a CEO to the airport. So what?

I didn't drive the 9 sec notch on the track, but I've driven it elsewhere plenty of times. I also had a heavily modified blown cobra, but that can't mean anything, right?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
lol I sold my m3 for my e55,My e55 makes my m3 feel like a 1.6 honda auto.

ps all those cars you metioned are sports cars not lux sedans.I take my car to the track the way I drive it to work and can run low 12s all day.

add 1400 lbs to that p-car and vette and see what it does

youre still doing it,you are for some reason hating on the e55,are you upset that an e55 will murder the brand new m3 in straight line power?the e46 is slow as hell,heck even the new 335s trap higher than my m3 ever did.

and dont bring up mag numbers,Iv never broke over 106 in my m3,stock e55s trap 114-116 in real world all day

dont you think its funny that you just compared the e55 to

gtr
z06
p-car turbo
gt 500 mustang
AND A SUPRA!!!!

yeah I guess the e55 is slow and with few bolts ons is not that fast either.

Last edited by skratch77; 07-14-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM

honda
That is fast also a good car shop is fasterthanthem
Old 09-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
If the POWER on the E55k did not hook you then move on. It is a special sedan for those that appreciate certain things. If you are looking for "super car" or track ride, then again, move on. If you want a smile on your face at every light and be comfortable knowing that you can put up one heck of a fight to a legit race dedicated car with full interior, baby seats, boom box, etc. There is no magic to the E55k. It has displacement and forced induction. That is how you make power.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
If the POWER on the E55k did not hook you then move on. It is a special sedan for those that appreciate certain things. If you are looking for "super car" or track ride, then again, move on. If you want a smile on your face at every light and be comfortable knowing that you can put up one heck of a fight to a legit race dedicated car with full interior, baby seats, boom box, etc. There is no magic to the E55k. It has displacement and forced induction. That is how you make power.
I agree. Also, I don't think the OP will find a car with this much bang for his buck. At least not a sedan.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Originally Posted by vtecsti
I agree. Also, I don't think the OP will find a car with this much bang for his buck. At least not a sedan.
or a wagon
Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tscales
or a wagon
I forgot about you, buddy. Sorry about that, haha.

I FINALLY convinced my g/f to let me get an E63 Estate once I hit 100k miles on my '04 E55.

Sooo stoked.