W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 E63 - LAST warranty visit to MB dealership - what to ask them to check for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 McLaren 650S, '09 Porsche 911 Turbo cab, '12 Porsche 911 4S cab; '15 E63(tuned)
'08 E63 - LAST warranty visit to MB dealership - what to ask them to check for?

Howdy y'all! I just took delivery of a 2008 E63 w/ 48,600 miles this week. I am about to make my first (and LAST) visit to the MB dealership while the car is under warranty.

When I test drove this car, it was fast, but not as wicked "seat of the pants" fast as some other of these models that I drove that were a bit newer and had fewer miles. (I got it because it had the color and options that I wanted, was a good deal and otherwise checked out fine w/ an independent inspection.)

So, off the line, even with ESP off, when I stomp the pedal, the tires barely break traction. I have a few other unrelated warranty issues I'll be handing over to my dealership, but what do I tell them to look for in terms of checking those items which would affect performance?

So far, based on my research on the forum and throughout the net, I've heard:

- check mass airflow sensor

- check intake gaskets

- new air filter / carbon filters

- new fuel filter

- flash ecu and tcu with latest updates

Other than that, gentlemen and ladies, is there anything else I should hand over to the MB dealership to check / inspect / fix / repair? Anything after this visit will be on MY DIME!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by stewartg
Howdy y'all! I just took delivery of a 2008 E63 w/ 48,600 miles this week. I am about to make my first (and LAST) visit to the MB dealership while the car is under warranty.

When I test drove this car, it was fast, but not as wicked "seat of the pants" fast as some other of these models that I drove that were a bit newer and had fewer miles. (I got it because it had the color and options that I wanted, was a good deal and otherwise checked out fine w/ an independent inspection.)

So, off the line, even with ESP off, when I stomp the pedal, the tires barely break traction. I have a few other unrelated warranty issues I'll be handing over to my dealership, but what do I tell them to look for in terms of checking those items which would affect performance?

So far, based on my research on the forum and throughout the net, I've heard:

- check mass airflow sensor

- check intake gaskets

- new air filter / carbon filters

- new fuel filter

- flash ecu and tcu with latest updates

Other than that, gentlemen and ladies, is there anything else I should hand over to the MB dealership to check / inspect / fix / repair? Anything after this visit will be on MY DIME!
Check suspension , airmatic shocks make certain the car raises and lowers to proper ride heights and looks even.

All TSB's have been performed, definately transmission update.

Make sure all buttons, and cosmetics interior are functioning and look good. Faded and or cracked interior pieces etc.

Check the car and see if it is starting in 1st gear in d/s mode.

Good luck
Old 07-10-2010, 10:10 PM

'15 McLaren 650S, '09 Porsche 911 Turbo cab, '12 Porsche 911 4S cab; '15 E63(tuned)
Originally Posted by juicee63
Check suspension , airmatic shocks make certain the car raises and lowers to proper ride heights and looks even.

All TSB's have been performed, definately transmission update.

Make sure all buttons, and cosmetics interior are functioning and look good. Faded and or cracked interior pieces etc.

Check the car and see if it is starting in 1st gear in d/s mode.

Good luck

Thanks for the response!

I think I've got all that stuff covered except to check for the 1st gear start. I know what "s" mode is, however, what is "d/s" mode? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Between you and Juicee that pretty much covers anything I've ever had looked at or worked on...Oh, my rear sunshade stopped working about a month ago, but I think that was just random...

P.S. - with good tires on dry pavement in a straight line my car won't break loose very often off the line, unless I'm actually trying to. Now flooring it in 1st from 10 or 20ish, it's disco time with the traction triangle

Last edited by citylightva; 07-10-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by citylightva
Between you and Juicee that pretty much covers anything I've ever had looked at or worked on...Oh, my rear sunshade stopped working about a month ago, but I think that was just random...

P.S. - with good tires on dry pavement in a straight line my car won't break loose very often off the line, unless I'm actually trying to. Now flooring it in 1st from 10 or 20ish, it's disco time with the traction triangle

And here I thought disco was dead! That is good news!

Okay, I feel better. I think I got everything taken care of at the dealership. Anything I missed should be covered under the extended warranty (including my sun shade!)

As a funny side note, I know my service adviser at the MB dealership - she's been taking care of my various Mercs for years. She saw me drive in this morning, came over with a big smile on her face and the first thing she said was, "So you FINALLY got an AMG!"
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM

2007 E550 Sport / 2007 R500
Is it possible to pay them for a Pre-Purchase Inspection on the car (Maybe $100)?

Possibly because you're actually paying them to find problems, they might be able to fix all those under warranty also.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by E550 Sport
Is it possible to pay them for a Pre-Purchase Inspection on the car (Maybe $100)?

Possibly because you're actually paying them to find problems, they might be able to fix all those under warranty also.

They are not allowed to do this. It creates a conflict of interest between themselves and MB USA. Its called "warranty shopping."

So, essentially, I had to get an independent inspection service to do a complete check on the car, make sure there are no MAJOR problems, and then bring the car in to the MB dealership to have the minor problems fixed.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Check cam position sensor, some of the 07s and 08s had to have theirs replaced.

Also, if you have the Performance Package, you may want to check differential fluid. The fluid that comes from the factory is break-in fluid and is supposed to be changed after 1000 miles but many people don't bother going in for that.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Check cam position sensor, some of the 07s and 08s had to have theirs replaced.

Also, if you have the Performance Package, you may want to check differential fluid. The fluid that comes from the factory is break-in fluid and is supposed to be changed after 1000 miles but many people don't bother going in for that.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have the service tech take a look at it.

And, very, very, very sadly, the performance package is the ONLY option my vehicle did NOT come with.