Sponsored by:

My upgraded fuel system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by beauphus
most of what u are doing is over my head and beyond my comprehension so i apologize if this question sounds offensive - im just naive. what exactly r u looking to accomplish with this mod? is there that much to be had power-wise to justify such a seemingly drastic and extensive project? or is it just for fun?
No offence at all!, The answear is 2 parts, On the dyno there was a big dip in power at 4500 to redline, and no matter how much fuel we put at it it the afrs still creeped up. We figured it most lickly was a weak pump. So you say how much power are we taking? Its just a guess, but a rather fast E55 was there the same day and I have a bigger pulley and bigger TB but he had cams and LT and made 60+ more than me wile down low before 4500 our curves were very similar and I made a bit more peak TQ. If it is fuel this should fix it if not than I suspect that my headers are to blame.
Part 2
Its amazing how one thing leads to another. I'm sure after building an engine you know what I mean. there is no such thing as a drop in fuel pump upgrade and the big bosch's wont fit in the tank, so then that means you have mount them out side, but now the fuel line wont work that way so you have to run new line but the new line wont connect to the rail and now that you by passed the stock pumps the stock fliter and regulator are by passed so that means you need new ones of those. as you see it grows and grows and grows. This is hands down by far the most money spent on a mod to date.

Last edited by sneakyneon; 07-16-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
props!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
195mm pulley
85mm TB (82 bored)
Short headers that are less than desirable, no cats 3 inch into magnaflows
Some light port matching and blending on the tanks and IC
Water/meth
rear mount water tank
OE tunned (after one flash it was out of fuel)
My CAI has not proved any HP gain but no loss either so if anything its sounds cool!! lol
Crank case Evac
Fuel and more fuel
Intake/SC thermal spacers

I basical do all of the work my self, mostly out of poverty
I have two things that I really want to do, Long tube headers and a quife. Maybe fine tune the tune a bit.
Best pass has been 11.28 @ 128 I think theres more in her now the fuel is done.
man you move on mods fast! thanks for sharing all your work with us.

128 is no joke..

what kind of shortys do you have..? thats my next mod for sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Bicycle
There a one off custom made and not very good. I got a god deal and they were a nice upgrade at lower HP but I think thre costing me up top at my current level
Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM

2010 C63
wow, that looks great!! Do those pumps have integrated check valves? If not, I would add a set
Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat

hahahaha
Yeah there gone!
I hear them called all sorta things but they are EGR valve that recurculate HOT Exh back into the SC.
I got lucky and no code's
Do you care to elaborate on how you get rid of those valves? I wanted too, but don't know what to do with the holes. Anyway, keep up the good job.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Do you care to elaborate on how you get rid of those valves? I wanted too, but don't know what to do with the holes. Anyway, keep up the good job.
There very close to 3/8 npt,I just ran a tap down ad far as it would go, 3/8 pipe plug and teflon paste.
A pic is worth....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship
Wait...so you don't need those valves? WTF do they do anyway and does the ECU throw a CEL when they are removed?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by kjlindgr
Wait...so you don't need those valves? WTF do they do anyway and does the ECU throw a CEL when they are removed?
Its an EGR valve or some other fancy name MB gives it but it take hot exh and recerulates it back into the SC. There are plenty of info on the web about both good and bad with removing a egr valve, The car should throw code but it has not, it maybe its in the tune or mb has a low valve in the ecu and basicaly dose not check?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
for the egr valves did you just cap the inlets at the front of the S/C
Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
No offence at all!, The answear is 2 parts, On the dyno there was a big dip in power at 4500 to redline, and no matter how much fuel we put at it it the afrs still creeped up. We figured it most lickly was a weak pump. So you say how much power are we taking? Its just a guess, but a rather fast E55 was there the same day and I have a bigger pulley and bigger TB but he had cams and LT and made 60+ more than me wile down low before 4500 our curves were very similar and I made a bit more peak TQ. If it is fuel this should fix it if not than I suspect that my headers are to blame.
Part 2
Its amazing how one thing leads to another. I'm sure after building an engine you know what I mean. there is no such thing as a drop in fuel pump upgrade and the big bosch's wont fit in the tank, so then that means you have mount them out side, but now the fuel line wont work that way so you have to run new line but the new line wont connect to the rail and now that you by passed the stock pumps the stock fliter and regulator are by passed so that means you need new ones of those. as you see it grows and grows and grows. This is hands down by far the most money spent on a mod to date.
First let me say that your fabrication and workmanship looks absolutely 1st class. However, I was wondering why an in-line boost pump (ie Bosch o44) in the feed line to the engine rail would not provide adequate flow and pressure? You must have already considered such an option as not to be a solution. My thoughts would be that with the existing dual pumps there should be enough capacity at the pumps themselves. Naturally there will be losses to pressure and flow based on line diameter and length, but that's why I thought a properly placed boost pump could maintain the necessary flow and pressure. What piece of the puzzle am I missing here?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by AgSilver
First let me say that your fabrication and workmanship looks absolutely 1st class. However, I was wondering why an in-line boost pump (ie Bosch o44) in the feed line to the engine rail would not provide adequate flow and pressure? You must have already considered such an option as not to be a solution. My thoughts would be that with the existing dual pumps there should be enough capacity at the pumps themselves. Naturally there will be losses to pressure and flow based on line diameter and length, but that's why I thought a properly placed boost pump could maintain the necessary flow and pressure. What piece of the puzzle am I missing here?
Because the that would be after the regulator and you could not control how much fuel pressure you would have.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM

2006 Mercedes E55
When we hitting Pacific Raceways on a wednesday evening ?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Super install and some great clean work there...

One thing that has me a little concerned is the proximity of the open +ve lead of the right side pump to the mounting bracket... mbe the photo angle is exaggerating it a touch but mbe a boot to cover the power lead attachment on the pump?

I am curious why others running 550rwp+ have not had this fuel shortage issue... ? Is this mbe not an ECU / tuning thing or fuel line pressure / injector issue?

You got some super mods ...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
Its an EGR valve or some other fancy name MB gives it but it take hot exh and recerulates it back into the SC. There are plenty of info on the web about both good and bad with removing a egr valve, The car should throw code but it has not, it maybe its in the tune or mb has a low valve in the ecu and basicaly dose not check?

so it makes the S/C sucks some hot air, and removing them may make the IAT a bit cooler ??

there is no harm in removing them right ?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by stevebez
I am curious why others running 550rwp+ have not had this fuel shortage issue... ? Is this mbe not an ECU / tuning thing or fuel line pressure / injector issue?
Perhaps it is coincidence but I am in the 550+ club and I am having an issue in 3rd and 4th gear WOT that seems like a fuel issue. When I am WOT I get some sort of sputter and have been advised that it may be me running out of fuel. It typically only lasts a short period of time (1/2 second to a full second) and then the resumes its usual power but for that little period of time I am losing power and car seems likes its choking. It will be definitive this week as Jeremy is coming down and it will be on the dyno. Perhaps a fuel system upgrade is in my future.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Perhaps it is coincidence but I am in the 550+ club and I am having an issue in 3rd and 4th gear WOT that seems like a fuel issue. When I am WOT I get some sort of sputter and have been advised that it may be me running out of fuel. It typically only lasts a short period of time (1/2 second to a full second) and then the resumes its usual power but for that little period of time I am losing power and car seems likes its choking. It will be definitive this week as Jeremy is coming down and it will be on the dyno. Perhaps a fuel system upgrade is in my future.
I have this and so does eco form dubi, both tuned by him. Let me know asap if u get it sorted. only fix i have for it is to shift earlier or manuly control it. if u leave it in auto u get the stutter and pause when shifting 3rd to 4th
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Zod
I have this and so does eco form dubi, both tuned by him. Let me know asap if u get it sorted. only fix i have for it is to shift earlier or manuly control it. if u leave it in auto u get the stutter and pause when shifting 3rd to 4th
How much timing are you guys running and are you possibly getting a misfire?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
How much timing are you guys running and are you possibly getting a misfire?
Don't know, what i know now is 3 people have it, who all have the same tuner...
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 AM

2006 SLK55
Zod add me to the list
i might be a bitf different case ( i'm driveing N/A 55 engine SLK55 )
but i do have the same issue
just to mention my SLK in not tunned
thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 AM

13 E63
Very nice work and I understand how one thing led to another in this process.

I have a question on the stock system. Does the stock system have the single feed line to the engine and NO return line?

I understand the stock fuel pressure regulator is located in the tank with the pump. If this is the case, MB decided to comply with the 2005 US EPA mandate to eliminate the fuel return line from the engine. IMHO this is a major flaw in a performance vehicle and a big stress on the fuel delivery components which now have to be limited in the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator needs to be at the engine just after the fuel rail and the fuel pump must be allowed to flow constant pressure and volume to provide the needed flow and volume to the engine at pleak loads.

Again, nice work.

We just got ours back from the dealer from a repeated failure of the level sensor leaking and I have started to look into why the E55 is having this problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
05 E55
Sweet! As usual, a pioneer in the E55 community.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM

Bicycle
There is no return from the fuel rail just a single in.
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Very nice work and I understand how one thing led to another in this process.

I have a question on the stock system. Does the stock system have the single feed line to the engine and NO return line?

I understand the stock fuel pressure regulator is located in the tank with the pump. If this is the case, MB decided to comply with the 2005 US EPA mandate to eliminate the fuel return line from the engine. IMHO this is a major flaw in a performance vehicle and a big stress on the fuel delivery components which now have to be limited in the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator needs to be at the engine just after the fuel rail and the fuel pump must be allowed to flow constant pressure and volume to provide the needed flow and volume to the engine at pleak loads.

Again, nice work.

We just got ours back from the dealer from a repeated failure of the level sensor leaking and I have started to look into why the E55 is having this problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 AM

Bicycle
Hey bro! good to see your still around, so got a cool ride these days?
Originally Posted by str8ridin
Sweet! As usual, a pioneer in the E55 community.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
The SLR uses 2 pressure regulators at the rail. Why not mimic the installation and add an inline pump?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My upgraded fuel system