W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Blanket/Barrier between s/c and engine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Lightbulb Heat Blanket/Barrier between s/c and engine.

Im installing some mod parts on my E55k, one of them is a 82tb.

The ones who had done this mod, knows that you have to remove the entire supercharger assembly to reach only two freaking bolts from the s/c inlet.

Now that Im ready to put it back on Im thinking using a Heat Blanket/Barrier between the supercharger and the engine will help to reduce the heat between those even more than the phenolic spacers.
Im looking for some of this heat blankets/barriers at summit, but there are too many options, I havent decided which one to go for.

Have any of you have tried this??

Any thoughts??

Or do you think it would not help at all and I will only delay the finish time of my proyect?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Yeah, I wish I have done the same. I know Jeg's have some heat reflecting material that you can peel off and tape to the IC. I'll try to find the part # for you.

To me, it can't hurt, it can only help with the AIT.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
it does take longer for the heat to build up with the barrier. conversly it also takes longer for the heat to dissapate when it has built up
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 PM

04' E55K
conversly it also takes longer for the heat to dissapate when it has built up
I don't see how? Heat always travels from hot to cold. Isn't the cooling medium the HX coils and water flowing through it? I think the idea of insulating the outside makes sense. Just my 2c.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Congratulations on your 82mm throttle body upgrade.

Attempting to insulate the intercooler from its surrounding heat has been done by several here. Any IAT reduction or quantifiable performance improvement from doing so is, in my experience, negligible. It’s easy enough to maintain less than 140° Fahrenheit IAT during most casual point and shoot encounters. As you well know, properly cooling its fluid medium -and ensuring sufficient flow- is the oft-proven method of minimizing our inadequate intercoolers’ heat dissipation characteristics.

Repeated runs beyond the top of fourth...you’ll likely get screwed by the savvy M and P enthusiasts anyway.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by Silverr1
I don't see how? Heat always travels from hot to cold. Isn't the cooling medium the HX coils and water flowing through it? I think the idea of insulating the outside makes sense. Just my 2c.
that would be true if the fluid was cold. but it only takes a few minutes for the coolant to heat up to operating temps. this was tried on a s/c v6 and that was the result. the insulating blanket kept the heat away for awhile but also took longer to cool down between runs
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Splinter is most likely dead on.

If you are still interested in materials I would recommend one the products from DEI (found at jegs/summit/etc.). They have a few different blanket materials found in sizes from 12"x24" and larger with or without adhesive.

-WES-