Need help with reverse camera and PAC SWI-JACK/CAN-2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Need help with reverse camera and PAC SWI-JACK/CAN-2

Hi guys,

I'm installing my Alpine screen in my CLS and ran in to a bit of snag. Where do I actually plug in the SWI-JACK/SWI-CAN 2 for the steering wheel control. Also, where do I run (tap in to) the reverse wire for the rear view camera? Any advice from my fellow E55'ers? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by BenzCLS06
Hi guys,

I'm installing my Alpine screen in my CLS and ran in to a bit of snag. Where do I actually plug in the SWI-JACK/SWI-CAN 2 for the steering wheel control. Also, where do I run (tap in to) the reverse wire for the rear view camera? Any advice from my fellow E55'ers? Thanks in advance.
not following your first question. You plug the jack into your alpine and the other end to the can2

The can2 connects to the canbus signal of the car.

Easy way for the reverse wire is tap into the back reverse light.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by loungn14
not following your first question. You plug the jack into your alpine and the other end to the can2

The can2 connects to the canbus signal of the car.

Easy way for the reverse wire is tap into the back reverse light.
This is a dumb question, but which wire(s) is the canbus on the car?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
This is a dumb question, but which wire(s) is the canbus on the car?
If it is the same as the E55 it is a green/ white and green wire under the driver side dash. The cluster of wires plugged into the little black box.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
if you look on the pac-audio site it shows you the exact harness and wires...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM

CLS55
Thanks guys for your help. I have 2 more questions and I think I'm all set. The Alpine wire harness has an illumination wire and a yellow wire for 12V constant. Where do you guys recommend I tap these in to?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM

2012 Armada
cigerette lighter is a good spot for both. If you dont have a CAN interface. I have the interface so I dont need the illumination or back up camera to be tapped in. If you did not find the reverse cable it is the yellow and grey one.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
cigerette lighter is a good spot for both. If you dont have a CAN interface. I have the interface so I dont need the illumination or back up camera to be tapped in. If you did not find the reverse cable it is the yellow and grey one.

Thanks man. I tapped the 12V switched (red wire) and ground to the cigarette lighter. Where would I connect the illumination and 12V constant wire (yellow)?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 PM

2012 Armada
Thanks man. I tapped the 12V switched (red wire) and ground to the cigarette lighter. Where would I connect the illumination and 12V constant wire (yellow)?
It is the other wire going into the cig lighter. think it is grey and blue cant remember.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 PM

CLS55
It is the other wire going into the cig lighter. think it is grey and blue cant remember.

Okay I got the illumination wire hooked up. Lastly where do I tap for the 12V constant wire (yellow)? I already have the 12V switched (red wire) tapped in to the lighter.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2012 Armada
Okay I got the illumination wire hooked up. Lastly where do I tap for the 12V constant wire (yellow)? I already have the 12V switched (red wire) tapped in to the lighter.
You can use the 12v from the factory HU or changer. Or run a line back to the battery just make sure if you do that you fuse it just off the battery and I would use a relay when using the cig lighter as well just to be on the safe side of things.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM

CLS55
You can use the 12v from the factory HU or changer. Or run a line back to the battery just make sure if you do that you fuse it just off the battery and I would use a relay when using the cig lighter as well just to be on the safe side of things.

I'm sorry for so many questions but what do you mean by adding a relay in the cig lighter?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 AM

2012 Armada
A relay will help to protect your factory electronics barring something goes haywire. It is more of a precausion. You can get it for radio shack. It is just a 12v relay. Little black box with 4 prongs. power ground remote in and remote out. the remote in would be the ignition switch from the car ie. the cig lighter and remote out goes to the new HU as ignition switch for that.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Hi guys,

I installed the SWI-Jack/SWI-Can in my E55. I used the Can bus wire found in the bundle in the trunk. So, I tapped into the brown wire with the red stripe found in the bundle that runs from the factory amp to the speakers. There is an easily identified bundle that comes from the amp on the passenger side of the trunk that has the speaker wires and also has the Can bus wire.

I had first tried a Can bus wire in the front of the car that didn't work. On the E55 there are three separate Can bus systems... audio, electronics and engine... I believe.

Anyway, I located the SWI hardware in the trunk and ran a lead to from the trunk to the HU. It has worked well. Duplicated all the controls that I had with the stock HU. Hope this helps. Cheers, Mark.