W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield broken while in for service - advice, please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Windshield broken while in for service - advice, please?

I took my car in for service at a Benz dealer here in AZ. This was the second time I was in, as the first time they didn't fix the problem - but that's a possible other thread. The issue here is, when I picked up the car, I had a windshield crack, about 8 inches down from the top left most corner down diagonally. I had no dings of any kind on it before (was put in by old owner about 8 months ago). The service adviser didn't even apologize - he just told me, "oh it happens sometimes at car washes when a hot windshield is washed, we washed it here, that's what must have happened. But if you have glass coverage, we can send someone out to fix it." When I said I didn't know if I had glass coverage and wasn't it their responsibility, he said no, they would not be responsible. Now, I did confirm I have glass coverage - but making a claim goes on your insurance record and might contribute to higher rates. It seems outrageous that the dealer would charge me $850 for a minor repair and then tell me it's not their problem that they broke the windshield. Question - do I have any kind of recourse? Is this worth pursuing with the manager, BBB, etc. or am I out of luck and the dealer really carries no responsibility? I would appreciate any experience/advice before I get my insurance involved. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Screw the service advisor. Go to the service manager. If he balks, then go to the next person above him.

A windshield doesn't get cracked by water hitting a hot windshield.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by zangief44
I took my car in for service at a Benz dealer here in AZ. This was the second time I was in, as the first time they didn't fix the problem - but that's a possible other thread. The issue here is, when I picked up the car, I had a windshield crack, about 8 inches down from the top left most corner down diagonally. I had no dings of any kind on it before (was put in by old owner about 8 months ago). The service adviser didn't even apologize - he just told me, "oh it happens sometimes at car washes when a hot windshield is washed, we washed it here, that's what must have happened. But if you have glass coverage, we can send someone out to fix it." When I said I didn't know if I had glass coverage and wasn't it their responsibility, he said no, they would not be responsible. Now, I did confirm I have glass coverage - but making a claim goes on your insurance record and might contribute to higher rates. It seems outrageous that the dealer would charge me $850 for a minor repair and then tell me it's not their problem that they broke the windshield. Question - do I have any kind of recourse? Is this worth pursuing with the manager, BBB, etc. or am I out of luck and the dealer really carries no responsibility? I would appreciate any experience/advice before I get my insurance involved. Thanks!
Are you for real???
Old 08-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Are you for real???
M3 ADDICT .....may be ?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM

2005 e55 AMG
Ummm, I feel like I am not in on the inside joke? I don't really understand what is so weird about my post - I am not M3 ADDICT, whoever that is. Sorry if my post sounded stupid, but I sincerely need advice. Also, an explanation of the above two posts would be nice . Thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Can a windshield with no damage crack when experiencing extreme temperature differences? Yes. Will a car's windshield crack if it's 110 outside and it gets splashed with 60 degree water? No. Not unless there is some sort of damage to the windshield, like a small pit or rock chip that hasn't spread yet.

Which dealer did you take it to? I think I remember seeing big signs at Schumacher in Scottsdale and Chandler MB in Chandler that specifically indicate they are not responsible for windshield damage.

Quit feeling entitled to free stuff. Crap happens. I'm betting the lot attendant(s) didn't look at the car and say to themselves "Gosh, this is a nice windshield. I'mma break it cuz i'm a h8tr".

Since you have glass coverage, then have your Insurance company just replace the damned windshield. It won't go against you and your rates won't go up. AZ law specifically states glass coverage has no out of pocket deductibles.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
It doesn't matter how it got crack the point is the stealer admitted they crack it during their care and it on their property so they are responsible for getting it fix PERIOD! I would be on them like flies on *****!! if they tell me ***** happen!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM

"ed" don't work on your end?

As far as the windshield is concerned, to each his own, I suppose. I just don't see the service advisor blowing the OP off like that, especially if it happened at Chandler MB. Who was your Service advisor, OP?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
When you took your car in for repair, didn't they do a walkaround to note the condition of the car? I know BMW Honolulu does as they have this sheet with a diagram of a car to show where there are dings and scratches. If your windshield were cracked prior to dropoff, it would also have been noted.

As far as a windshield repair on an 8" crack, I don't think it can be done. I had a windshield repaired and they said if the crack was longer than a dollar bill, there were no guarantees that it would work.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM

2005 e55 AMG
Sathinas, it was at the MB of Chandler. My adviser was Tim. This was the first time I took the car there. Tim was not rude by any means, he just didn't apologize and just said that my insurance will take care of it - and when I said that perhaps they shouldn't involve my insurance, he said that they would not be responsible for the windshield. There is no denial from them though that the windshield was cracked while in service with them - he even gave me a little paper saying that, per my request. As for my insurance, I am lucky I have glass coverage - if I didn't, would the dealer have expected me to pay hundreds to replace it? I am sure no one banged on my windshield on purpose, but when I entrust my expensive car to the dealer, I expect to get it back the same - I am not asking for a freebie for them to replace it. And I did talk to my insurance agent - if I were to get this claim on my history I would be ok, but two or more a year, and insurance might go up - it's not exact science. So, if my wive gets a cracked windshield, we are out of luck in terms of insurance going up.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Originally Posted by Sathinas
"ed" don't work on your end?

As far as the windshield is concerned, to each his own, I suppose. I just don't see the service advisor blowing the OP off like that, especially if it happened at Chandler MB. Who was your Service advisor, OP?
Haha, especially if it happened at Chandler MB. They are the worst group of imbeciles possible. I am guessing you had "Scott" the absolute biggest jerk and shady mother ****er ever!!! Go back and complain to the head of the service department and he should get you taken care of; I had to do the same when they did not want to fix a part on my car that was clearly faulty and explain why my car was taken for a joy ride for "testing" purposes. Go get them.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:40 PM

I only had one little misunderstanding (on their end) with them. After I explained to the service manager what would happen if I left that lot and the car wasn't fixed, he saw things my way. No, I didn't threaten him or anything sinister like that.

Romney's always been very helpful to me (not standing up for the guy, just stating how I was treated) and always got any issues taken care of. He even made the shop foreman go on a ride with me once.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Sathinas, it was at the MB of Chandler. My adviser was Tim. This was the first time I took the car there. Tim was not rude by any means, he just didn't apologize and just said that my insurance will take care of it - and when I said that perhaps they shouldn't involve my insurance, he said that they would not be responsible for the windshield. There is no denial from them though that the windshield was cracked while in service with them - he even gave me a little paper saying that, per my request. As for my insurance, I am lucky I have glass coverage - if I didn't, would the dealer have expected me to pay hundreds to replace it? I am sure no one banged on my windshield on purpose, but when I entrust my expensive car to the dealer, I expect to get it back the same - I am not asking for a freebie for them to replace it. And I did talk to my insurance agent - if I were to get this claim on my history I would be ok, but two or more a year, and insurance might go up - it's not exact science. So, if my wive gets a cracked windshield, we are out of luck in terms of insurance going up.
I agree with you zangief44, if you drop your vehicle off for service, they are responsible for everything that happens to your vehicle from that point forward (in my view). If they admit that the windshield was broken while under their responsibility, it shouldn't be too difficult to threaten a lawyer. Before you do that though, you may want to call the 1-800 number for Mercedes Customer Service. I had a front driver's side parking lamp fall out. My service advisor told me that it wasn't covered under warranty. I argued with him (peacefully) and as soon as I got in my vehicle, I called Mercedes. Mercedes told me that it was indeed covered under the new vehicle warranty (which was still in effect when I purchased my vehicle). Within 15 minutes of getting off of the phone with him, my service advisor called me and apologized and got my credit card info and processed the refund over the phone. I had a receipt confirming the refund mailed to me within two days. Granted, this didn't happen while my vehicle was under their care (I brought the car to them to have this repaired); however, the situation should be no different. They damaged your vehicle, they are responsible. As for insurance, the laws vary considerably state-to-state and I have no knowledge of AZ law...

Last edited by 06E55; 08-14-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
I would put the onus on the dealer to make you "whole". Your car came in with a factory windshield and when insurance typically does glass replacement, it will be aftermarket glass.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They also tried to rip me off by saying I had to pay $300 out of my pocket for a rental car for five days when I was clearly told by my service rep before hand that my Chrysler warranty covered five days of rental for free; I even before signing the rental agreement told my service rep are you sure I will not be charged because I did not really need the car, but more of a convenience thing. I again had to chew some *** to get out of that little trap they sprung on me.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I only had one little misunderstanding (on their end) with them. After I explained to the service manager what would happen if I left that lot and the car wasn't fixed, he saw things my way. No, I didn't threaten him or anything sinister like that.

Romney's always been very helpful to me (not standing up for the guy, just stating how I was treated) and always got any issues taken care of. He even made the shop foreman go on a ride with me once.
I might have to try him if I am ever in the unfortunate position of having to go to the dealer again, but I think I will just go to scottsdale MB.

Originally Posted by 06E55
I agree with you zangief44, if you drop your vehicle off for service, they are responsible for everything that happens to your vehicle from that point forward (in my view). If they admit that the windshield was broken while under their responsibility, it shouldn't be too difficult to threaten a lawyer. Before you do that though, you may want to call the 1-800 number for Mercedes Customer Service. I had a front driver's side parking lamp fall out. My service advisor told me that it wasn't covered under warranty. I argued with him (peacefully) and as soon as I got in my vehicle, I called Mercedes. Mercedes told me that it was indeed covered under the new vehicle warranty (which was still in effect when I purchased my vehicle). Within 15 minutes of getting off of the phone with him, my service advisor called me and apologized and got my credit card info and processed the refund over the phone. I had a receipt confirming the refund mailed to me within two days. Granted, this didn't happen while my vehicle was under their care (I brought the car to them to have this repaired); however, the situation should be no different. They damaged your vehicle, they are responsible. As for insurance, the laws vary considerably state-to-state and I have no knowledge of AZ law...
+1 They are totally responsible no matter what way they try to spin it or make you seem like the bad guy. I would talk to the manager and hopefully he can get it fixed for you, but calling MB is definitely a good idea. My buddy actually back in the day got a lot of problems resolved by going through that route because his transmission literally blew up three times in a six month period because those idiots did not do something correct in the installation.

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
I would put the onus on the dealer to make you "whole". Your car came in with a factory windshield and when insurance typically does glass replacement, it will be aftermarket glass.
+1 The factory glass I have seen in some cars 20 years old and never changed once! They are high quality.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I had a nice chat with Scott today and showed him this thread. The Scott you're referring to, Mikey, is no longer employed there. Apparently, he was... Terminated because of the way he was dealing with customers.

If you are ever "unfortunate" (as you called it) enough to go to a dealer, ask for Scott Romney. For what ots worth, The guy is, in my humble opinion a stand up guy.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM

2005 e55 AMG
Ok, so looks like I got this resolved (keeping fingers crossed). I went over there today and talked to Kevin, the service manager. He seemed like a very nice guy, although off the start he was sure a rock chip started the crack and seemed to be heading in the direction of trying to get me to get my insurance to pay for it - but when he saw the crack and traced his pen a few times over and and didn't see any sign of a prior chip, he talked to my adviser for 20 mins in his office, who came out and told me they were sending someone to replace the windshield on Thursday, at their cost. So, assuming they show up (and right now I have no reason to believe they won't), I should have a replacement MB windshield in a few days . Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a nice chat with Scott today and showed him this thread. The Scott you're referring to, Mikey, is no longer employed there. Apparently, he was... Terminated because of the way he was dealing with customers.

If you are ever "unfortunate" (as you called it) enough to go to a dealer, ask for Scott Romney. For what ots worth, The guy is, in my humble opinion a stand up guy.
Guess what.... My airmatic or something failed because the right side of the car is very low to the ground and will not move and the other side is working properly. I have to take it in the next few days and am deciding where to go because MB of Chandler is by my house, but the past experience was terrible and a very long wait to get my beast back.

Ok, so looks like I got this resolved (keeping fingers crossed). I went over there today and talked to Kevin, the service manager. He seemed like a very nice guy, although off the start he was sure a rock chip started the crack and seemed to be heading in the direction of trying to get me to get my insurance to pay for it - but when he saw the crack and traced his pen a few times over and and didn't see any sign of a prior chip, he talked to my adviser for 20 mins in his office, who came out and told me they were sending someone to replace the windshield on Thursday, at their cost. So, assuming they show up (and right now I have no reason to believe they won't), I should have a replacement MB windshield in a few days . Thanks for everyone's input.
Good to hear you got your situation resolved.