W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
Update x 2

Diagnosis from dropping the car off on Monday?

Gas leak: Replace everything...gas tank, senders, fuel pumps. I was happy with the plan until today.

Brakes: Replace SBC accumulator. I told them it was bad last year.

Fast forward to today. After installing everything new including the new gas tank...it leaked from the level sensor at start up. This makes for 6 level sensors in just under 3 years and less than 20k miles.

I was told..."MB is having a problem with a parts supplier"

Well my friends...MB is having a big problem and its getting bigger by the day. The last time I checked the car says MB. The last time I checked the parts box says MB.

My data and story is going to the NHTSA engineer this weekend.

I'm not a happy camper and have 0% confidence in the long term repair of this problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM

13 E63
I also have a question. If this gas tank is so fragile...what happens if we get rear ended in the car? I guess we are coming to the end of the AMG experience.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM

04 E55
Could you please share this engineer's contact info with us so we can also let him know of the troubles we all have/had?

We had our sending unit replaced a couple months ago and it appears to be leaking again.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Update x 2

Diagnosis from dropping the car off on Monday?

Gas leak: Replace everything...gas tank, senders, fuel pumps. I was happy with the plan until today.

Brakes: Replace SBC accumulator. I told them it was bad last year.

Fast forward to today. After installing everything new including the new gas tank...it leaked from the level sensor at start up. This makes for 6 level sensors in just under 3 years and less than 20k miles.

I was told..."MB is having a problem with a parts supplier"

Well my friends...MB is having a big problem and its getting bigger by the day. The last time I checked the car says MB. The last time I checked the parts box says MB.

My data and story is going to the NHTSA engineer this weekend.

I'm not a happy camper and have 0% confidence in the long term repair of this problem.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
+1, I want his info aswell. I filed a claim at the NHTSA and nothing so far.
still leaking too.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG PP
Smelled like fuel outside of the car today when standing next to it. Just checked mine, pulled the inspection cover off of the driver's side. There is a puddle of fuel and actually squirting out between the hose and the plastic fitting it fits to. This is all bad.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
DAMN, this is insane to hear this stuff. I've cancelled my (started to get pretty into the idea) possible plans of eventually picking up an E55 to have on the side due to hearing all this.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Geez...... MB really needs to spend a buck to fix this
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
I have a 07 E63 cpo...after 3 mos I noticed the gas smell in garage only after complete fill ups. First trip to dealer they had it for 3 days and said the head mechanic checked everything and found nothing. So I thought it only smells right after fill up and after I drive a bit to reduce the tank level, the smell is gone...no big deal. Then I bring the car back for free oil change offer and tell them I still have the gas smell. Advisor says they found a leak within 4 hrs and I need a gasket replaced. Next day advisor calls and said something was still leaking and now they need to replace the fuel tank. I'm not too sure what's really happening since he was leaving vm's and I haven't spoke to him directly...Just wanted to let people know this happened in my 2007. I read earlier on this post that 07 had different fuel tank...?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Must have been the fuel sending unit....like mine.....Hopefully it will last for more than 2yrs... paid $900 over for mine
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM

2005 E55 AMG Estate
I have the same problem!!!!! I have a 2005 E55 which drives great and last month, I drove it to reserve tank. So I filled up and topped off then I went home 10 mns later and smelled gas all in my garage. NO LEAKs, NO puddles!. I drove it to the gym and I came out after an hour and I can smell it around my car also a little bit inside. I had this happen 3 times, but for some reason I havent had this issue come back and its my daily driver. I had no leaks anywhere, but I did not check under the rear seat by the pump. But this is definitely a problem. I am worried that it will come back. My buddy is a Master Mechanic at Benz, so I will have him take a look at it. I have been hearing all kinds of issues for the problems. Sucks
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 AM

13 E63
Welcome on the crazy train. It takes 3 minutes to take the lower rear seat out and remove the 8mm bolts that hold the inspection cover. Two covers... 1 on pass and 1 on driver side which are about 10 inches round. Fill the car up and go home for the inspection. I trust you will find the gas pooling on top of the sending units.

Submit to NHTSA asap if you have this leak.

Originally Posted by BigVic
I have the same problem!!!!! I have a 2005 E55 which drives great and last month, I drove it to reserve tank. So I filled up and topped off then I went home 10 mns later and smelled gas all in my garage. NO LEAKs, NO puddles!. I drove it to the gym and I came out after an hour and I can smell it around my car also a little bit inside. I had this happen 3 times, but for some reason I havent had this issue come back and its my daily driver. I had no leaks anywhere, but I did not check under the rear seat by the pump. But this is definitely a problem. I am worried that it will come back. My buddy is a Master Mechanic at Benz, so I will have him take a look at it. I have been hearing all kinds of issues for the problems. Sucks
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 AM

2013 SL63 AMG PP
dropping it off at the dealer in the morning....lets see if they will fix it free of charge.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM

13 E63
I suspect this will become more common as time passes. I do not see any major fuel system design changes in the E63 that addressed this problem.

Originally Posted by golfdds
I have a 07 E63 cpo...after 3 mos I noticed the gas smell in garage only after complete fill ups. First trip to dealer they had it for 3 days and said the head mechanic checked everything and found nothing. So I thought it only smells right after fill up and after I drive a bit to reduce the tank level, the smell is gone...no big deal. Then I bring the car back for free oil change offer and tell them I still have the gas smell. Advisor says they found a leak within 4 hrs and I need a gasket replaced. Next day advisor calls and said something was still leaking and now they need to replace the fuel tank. I'm not too sure what's really happening since he was leaving vm's and I haven't spoke to him directly...Just wanted to let people know this happened in my 2007. I read earlier on this post that 07 had different fuel tank...?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 AM

2013 SL63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by tony.damore
dropping it off at the dealer in the morning....lets see if they will fix it free of charge.
So.. I dropped it off at Mercedes Benz of Oxnard, CA. They had it back to me the next day, all fixed, no charge. My car has no warranty and 75,000 miles on it. The replaced the fuel sending unit. All better
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM

2004 E55
Fuel pooling....

Up in drivers side sending unit this am....this blows! Hopefully warranty company will cover the sending unit???!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
I checked the database and counted 8 people with 03-04's have filed complaints about the fuel leak issue on the E55. Will need to get a couple of hundred more to make waves and get something done. MBUSA said my leaks are past warranty @ 68K I asked if it was covered under the Evap emissions (8-80) and got a hmmm. Guess I'll see what they do for me.

...just waiting to go off.

If you have a 03-06 E55 that was involved in the fuel level sender recall back in 2008 you still may have a problem.

The recall did not seem to fix the problem and several E55 owners are now reporting that the replacement part is starting to leak. Ours broke this last weekend and literally gas was pouring out from under my car. This is a fire and bomb hazard and had I not noticed this and drove the car on the hwy....I would not be writing this post.

I have reported the condition to the NHTSA and filed a claim.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I have called MB USA and started a notice and case file.

I have 4 other E55 owners with the same problem. One has said MB USA denied any assistance in fixing his car because "we completed the recall in 2008 and that was it."

How stupid of MB USA.

Just over 2years and 12,000 miles. The assembly is cracked and fuel is pouring out just sitting there.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 PM

13 E63
File your NHTSA complaint asap. Ask to be forwarded to the engineer looking into this matter.

Originally Posted by Rhaunschild1980
Up in drivers side sending unit this am....this blows! Hopefully warranty company will cover the sending unit???!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:18 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
Angry

...just waiting to go off.

If you have a 03-06 E55 that was involved in the fuel level sender recall back in 2008 you still may have a problem.

The recall did not seem to fix the problem and several E55 owners are now reporting that the replacement part is starting to leak. Ours broke this last weekend and literally gas was pouring out from under my car. This is a fire and bomb hazard and had I not noticed this and drove the car on the hwy....I would not be writing this post.

I have reported the condition to the NHTSA and filed a claim.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I have called MB USA and started a notice and case file.

I have 4 other E55 owners with the same problem. One has said MB USA denied any assistance in fixing his car because "we completed the recall in 2008 and that was it."

How stupid of MB USA.

Just over 2years and 12,000 miles. The assembly is cracked and fuel is pouring out just sitting there.

I am fed up with issues such as this and their irresponsible behavior that I am now buying 2 japanese or korean cars for the price of one nightmare starhell brand.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by novae500
Must have been the fuel sending unit....like mine.....Hopefully it will last for more than 2yrs... paid $900 over for mine

Let me guess now. So you are just off the warranty and you have this safety major malfunction and you are stuck with the whole bill? Did you try asking if they were out of their mind first? Now seriously, you guys should ask them to have at least the parts covered if not more under a goodwill waranty extension?.
As for me, I decided not to buy the nightmare brand anymore. They seem to be getting worst. WOW....
Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
If I had this issue out of warranty, I would definitely pusue the repairs as a failure of the emissions control system. Auto manufacturers spend a lot of time ( as required by law) designing systems that completely capture fuel vapors. A full-on fuel leak is certainly NOT capturing all the vapors, and is therefore non-compliant.

The manufacturers warranty for emissions equipment is substantially longer than a conventional warranty, so you should be covered even if your regular warranty expired.

-G
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM

04 E55
Just filed mine.

Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.
Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10395388 <http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm?odi_ids=10395388&SearchType=QuickSearc h&summary=true&refurl=email>

File your NHTSA complaint asap. Ask to be forwarded to the engineer looking into this matter.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM

2004 E55
Just filed my complaint with nhtsa online....hopefully if enough sound off they will pay attention! On the upside...my Indy called today and the warranty company will be covering the new unit!

Ryan
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 AM

E63
Add me to the list.....same description as others but this is 2007 E63. 48,000 miles. Will take it next week for official diagnosis but it wreaks of fuel after fill up and goes away when the level comes down. I took the driver side cover off and found fuel.

Is the 2007 fuel sending unit the same part as the 03-06 units?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 PM

07 E63
I never followed up on my post, but I had the same problem on my 07 E63 and the 1st attempt was to replace the fuel sending gasket which did not work...then after many days in the shop, the dealer decided to replace the whole gas tank. I have had no fuel smell issues at all since this and it's been 2 months now.

My dilemma now is whether to buy factory extended warranty or not, since my ends in Nov 2011...
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by golfdds
I never followed up on my post, but I had the same problem on my 07 E63 and the 1st attempt was to replace the fuel sending gasket which did not work...then after many days in the shop, the dealer decided to replace the whole gas tank. I have had no fuel smell issues at all since this and it's been 2 months now.

My dilemma now is whether to buy factory extended warranty or not, since my ends in Nov 2011...
This isn't specific to AMGs, but to all W211s. I was reading some info on the MBCA forum/website and they said that the "real fix" is a complete tank replacement and that all the other attempts won't work in the end. I guess the trick is to get the dealer and MBUSA to go along with the tank replacement. It seems like MBUSA is simply going to address this issue only on an individual and car by car basis. It will all come down to how loudly the owner can bark and convince the dealer to do a full tank and sending unit replacement even if still under warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.