W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
Ouch, it looks like this gas tank let go.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-495679?hpt=Sbin
obvious engine fire? Your the expert now.

Since I sound like a little kid you can lead the class now.

I dont know the source of the fire on this late model S class. I was sent this link from a friend in So Cal. I can only see the whole car including the gas tank lit up. I dont know where it started nor did I attempt to guess where it started.

But, should this late model S class be going up in flames just driving down the freeway? Just food for thought.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM

13 E63
From the location of a fuel tank in the S class. It looks like the tank was part of the fire. Just ahead the rear wheels. Where the fire started? I have no idea with the little evidence provided so far.

Not rocket science.

Would it not make sense that MB has a similar design fuel system on the S class chassis?

Again not rocket science.

Should a late model S class be going up in flames just driving down a CA freeway?

Make no mistake MB USA is watching this thread. How are you doing boys and girls? I also have knowledge of some buy backs. One of them was a E63 with "fuel" issues.

Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
BUT you said "Ouch, it looks like this gas tank let go" SO how does this fire even pertain to an 03-06 E Class and how did you deduce the feul tank let go Shelock?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
From the location of a fuel tank in the S class. It looks like the tank was part of the fire. Just ahead the rear wheels. Where the fire started? I have no idea with the little evidence provided so far.

Not rocket science.

Would it not make sense that MB has a similar design fuel system on the S class chassis?

Should a late model S class be going up in flames just driving down a CA freeway?

Make no mistake MB USA is watching this thread. How are you doing boys and girls? I also have knowledge of some buy backs. One of them was a E63 with "fuel" issues.
Look, if you have so much info and know what's going on every time there's a car fire in the world, then why not share that info here with MBWorld members? Instead you just keep playing some sort of cat and mouse "I told you so" game. Is this about you wanting to feel vindicated or is it truly about solving an issue?

Where's the "news story" and the reporters? Where's the "lawsuit" and the lawyers? Did you roll over? What are you doing about this besides playing the doom and gloom game?

Seriously, are you interested at all in this issue or are you only trying to get back at people (ie MBUSA) because they dissed you? imho, it appears kind of childish if it's the latter.

Let's talk sensibly about this issue and quite allowing MBUSA (if indeed they are really reading this thread) to be able to write everybody off as a bunch of reactionary wackos.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 PM

13 E63
Our car is fixed for now. If the local news is too busy to worry about a potential hazard I cant make them print it. As a pilot told me a few weeks ago....regulations are written in blood. It may come down to that but I hope it does not.

What exactly is doom and gloom if a burning late model S class is revealed? Its simply a piece of the puzzle. It could mean the S class may have a similar problem. It could mean the MB fuel design has a flaw. Its a part and file of evidence that MB may have a problem. What part of that dont you get? The word is getting out just like the Jeep gas tank fires. This story was sent to me from a Audi owner. People are aware.

Thats about it. You can have your sand back.

Originally Posted by 220S
Look, if you have so much info and know what's going on every time there's a car fire in the world, then why not share that info here with MBWorld members? Instead you just keep playing some sort of cat and mouse "I told you so" game. Is this about you wanting to feel vindicated or is it truly about solving an issue?

Where's the "news story" and the reporters? Where's the "lawsuit" and the lawyers? Did you roll over? What are you doing about this besides playing the doom and gloom game?

Seriously, are you interested at all in this issue or are you only trying to get back at people (ie MBUSA) because they dissed you? imho, it appears kind of childish if it's the latter.

Let's talk sensibly about this issue and quite allowing MBUSA (if indeed they are really reading this thread) to be able to write everybody off as a bunch of reactionary wackos.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM

E55 AMG
Our car is fixed for now. If the local news is too busy to worry about a potential hazard I cant make them print it. As a pilot told me a few weeks ago....regulations are written in blood. It may come down to that but I hope it does not.

What exactly is doom and gloom if a burning late model S class is revealed? Its simply a piece of the puzzle. It could mean the S class may have a similar problem. It could mean the MB fuel design has a flaw. Its a part and file of evidence that MB may have a problem. What part of that dont you get? The word is getting out just like the Jeep gas tank fires. This story was sent to me from a Audi owner. People are aware.

Thats about it. You can have your sand back.
Or...you could put it back in the hole you are digging. You have presented no proof of any of the magnum p.i. claims you are making. Now you are bringing in different cars. Shall we do a search of other car fires and go after their manufacturer? Not the first car fire.

Perhaps the S-class in the video has an aftermarket sound system that was hooked to the battery which was at fault? You have no clue about the situation, yet you accuse the fuel tank.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM

13 E63
Its just information. I found it interesting such a new S class was found burning on the freeway. The gas tank was lit. I left it at that.

As for the sound system theory. Do you really think that could apply here? Everyone makes their own decisions.

I dont need proof of squat. Its just information passed along given to me from other Audi and MB owners. The more members aware of a potential danger the better. Not telling anyone to go out and sell their car or sue MB for anything. Just keep an eye out for their own well being.

Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.

Originally Posted by snail45
Or...you could put it back in the hole you are digging. You have presented no proof of any of the magnum p.i. claims you are making. Now you are bringing in different cars. Shall we do a search of other car fires and go after their manufacturer? Not the first car fire.

Perhaps the S-class in the video has an aftermarket sound system that was hooked to the battery which was at fault? You have no clue about the situation, yet you accuse the fuel tank.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM

E55 AMG
Its just information. I found it interesting such a new S class was found burning on the freeway. The gas tank was lit. I left it at that.

As for the sound system theory. Do you really think that could apply here? Everyone makes their own decisions.

I dont need proof of squat. Its just information passed along given to me from other Audi and MB owners. The more members aware of a potential danger the better. Not telling anyone to go out and sell their car or sue MB for anything. Just keep an eye out for their own well being.

Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.
This.

Thank you. Leave the rest of the B.S. out and there is no wrong rubbing.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe

Not rocket science.

Again, if you have information that's helpful to other members here then why not post that specific information?

In a way, you almost seem to be really hoping to have an E55 blow up so you can be vindicated. It's a bit weird, sorry. Maybe talk about the issue and quit vying for some kind of veneration with your assumptions and your links to sources like an older CL burning due to an ABC line bursting and a random S Class that caught fire. You'd make a bad lawyer

When somebody says "I have knowledge that you don't" and then never produces that info, what's the point? How does that help anybody here? I just don't understand that kind of attitude I guess. Why the arrogance?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 AM

13 E63
Ok,

I'm aware of MB kicking in a big chunk of change to take back a E55. Repeated fuel leaks was the cause. Owner asked to keep his info out of print.

I'm aware of a E63 that was a buy back from MB due to some type of repeated fuel issue. This was told to me by a fellow RS6 owner out east. The E63 owner was his friend.

Honestly, another RS6 owner in So Cal sent me this S class link and I posted it up here. Really this sort of thing should not be happening with MB top line products. The E55 burning is just the matter of smart E55 owners catching a potential fire hazard before it takes off. Do I want one to burn? No. A new member was able to find his fuel leak last week with a google search and found the thread. That is why I posted the thread.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Thanks for all the information guys! I can smell gas inside the car since my last fill up! Good lord, what is wrong with Mercedes? I love driving the car but damn!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I just confirmed, I have the problem too! It is a very slight leak on the driver's side. I did slightly overfill the tank. ... next steps? I will probably try to contact the dealer to run a check to see if the recall was done on my car.

Geez .. kind of a sucky first week for owning this car! Between this and transmission fluid .. may be I should just light a match and put myself out of further misery? ... Nah ... too much fun to drive!

Appreciate any help anyone can offer to fix this (PM or otherwise) I will also search.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I guess you guys all saw the mess Ferrari had with the 458's burning up?

Some epoxy used to bond some rear panel could not take the exhaust heat and voila... barbeque.

Ferrari has recalled all cars, and arranged for replacement cars to those that have had any damage.

I guess the difference is in a companies response to a problem. Ferrari's was patently obvious though.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Damn, this is some scary stuff. Gas smells coming from cars is playing with fire.... Literally.

When I'm in a very quiet area, music off, etc. and my tank is full (W212 E350), or semi-full-ish, I can hear the gas swinging around ever so faintly. It just literally sounds like I have a 1/2 full jug of water in the trunk, swishing around, when I move the car backwards or forwards.

Hopefully this is a paranoid longshot, but is that something to be concerned about at all?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
To be honest you made your point a long time ago, and move on. I think this is the only thing you have posted about while being a member on this site, so what is your true agenda?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM

13 E63
My true agenda? Helping owners such as this find potential hazards before they become a reality.

What is so hard to capture about that idea? As noted before, the E55 is my wifes daily driver and I have have no plans to modify anything. I did join this forum some time back to read up on common failures and service tips on common failures to keep educated on the platform. Sorry I dont have modding stories or drag racing tales to tell about the car. Sorry I dont have upbeat information to spread about MB products. MB has failed its owners with regards to this problem and continue to hide or stick their heads in the sand. Only with educated owners that push the topic can we potentially find a real fix.

Originally Posted by turbo97se
I just confirmed, I have the problem too! It is a very slight leak on the driver's side. I did slightly overfill the tank. ... next steps? I will probably try to contact the dealer to run a check to see if the recall was done on my car.

Geez .. kind of a sucky first week for owning this car! Between this and transmission fluid .. may be I should just light a match and put myself out of further misery? ... Nah ... too much fun to drive!

Appreciate any help anyone can offer to fix this (PM or otherwise) I will also search.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by 03RSTT; 09-28-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM

13 E63
Back when MB USA put out the campaign in the spring of 2008 there was mention of certain driving conditions in the campaign. Short trips in high heat climates.

I wonder if that applies to the current rash of leakers as well? How much pressure develops inside these tanks as a result of the entire circulation system being inside the tank? Both fuel pumps, fuel pressure regulator, return lines are all located inside this fuel tank. Pressure must develop inside. I wonder if repeated short trips makes the problem worse and hot climates would also lead to additional pressure inside. When the tank is full or near full the air space in the tank is limited and we all know you cant compress gasoline so the pressure in the air space could rise to a point that it pushes out the level sensor gaskets.

I find it funny how Audi approached this same EPA mandate. As noted before, the 2003 RS6 has a full standard fuel system with regulator on the fuel rail and a return line. Audi was not willing to alter the fuel system to meet the 04 mandate and instead built and shipped 2003 RS6s all the way up to Dec of 03. The rest of the 04 Audi lineup had a simple little fuel filter with a fuel pressure regulator built in. A 3rd nipple was designed in this device and a short fuel return line to the gas tank was added. Apparently the EPA was ok with this design because the fuel filter/regulator was located right back close to the fuel tank. So there were no other hoses, lines or regulators located inside the gas tank of the Audi models to meet the EPA mandate. Audi does not seem to have any problem with gas tank seals up to this point. It could be how the design differs.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I called my nearest Mercedes dealer today and they said there is no recall for this. Does someone have the service bulletin reference number? By the way .. thanks for providing the info to me in PM. Even though this is an old issue, I am new to the car and just started smelling it .. so the timing was perfect!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM

13 E63
Did you give the dealer the vin number? Ask if any open campaigns exist for the vin and if none exist...ask when the campaign was performed and what parts were changed.

The campaign gave the dealers a choice to replace the driver side fuel level sensor. The one in the pics with the fuel outlet nipple.

I think the campaign number is in this thread or the sticky above in the W211 section. edit: here it is in this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...l-related.html

I called my nearest Mercedes dealer today and they said there is no recall for this. Does someone have the service bulletin reference number? By the way .. thanks for providing the info to me in PM. Even though this is an old issue, I am new to the car and just started smelling it .. so the timing was perfect!

Last edited by 03RSTT; 09-28-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 AM

13 E63
Another burning late model S class on the side of the freeway. Under the car is lit and under the hood. Just saying this was just driving down the freeway and looks similar to the white one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5GlSRZJ4G8

Last edited by 03RSTT; 09-30-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
^^^^^
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I finally got a chance to take the car to the dealer yesterday. I gave them the VIN and they said the recall had already been performed on my car ... well I said either it wasn't done or wasn't done right! They inspected the car and admitted it smelt strongly of fuel. After more inspection, they said it was probably the seal ($500 to replace) .. nothing was cracked. If it wasn't the seal then it may be the breather tube and if it was that, then the whole tank needed to be replaced $4400!

I decided to take the car and get the heck out of there. The seal is an $11 part. I am not going to pay Mercedes over $490 to replace it when it is so simple! I knew I should've just replaced it myself to begin with! What a waste of time. Arguing with them is not much use. I could have replaced it in the time I drove down and back twice! It woudn't have been anything for them to replace it but I guess they don't see it that way. It's rare that I go to the dealer and today was a reminder as to why.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Well, I finally got a chance to take the car to the dealer yesterday. I gave them the VIN and they said the recall had already been performed on my car ... well I said either it wasn't done or wasn't done right! They inspected the car and admitted it smelt strongly of fuel. After more inspection, they said it was probably the seal ($500 to replace) .. nothing was cracked. If it wasn't the seal then it may be the breather tube and if it was that, then the whole tank needed to be replaced $4400!

I decided to take the car and get the heck out of there. The seal is an $11 part. I am not going to pay Mercedes over $490 to replace it when it is so simple! I knew I should've just replaced it myself to begin with! What a waste of time. Arguing with them is not much use. I could have replaced it in the time I drove down and back twice! It woudn't have been anything for them to replace it but I guess they don't see it that way. It's rare that I go to the dealer and today was a reminder as to why.
Good Luck... I replaced both my seals and the problem is still apparent. Im thinking its the gas tank... MB USA refuses to own up to the prob. its a lost cause with them
Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great ... just great! Is it not clear where it is coming from? I am going to fill my tank with the seats and covers off to see where it is seeping from. May be just JBweld the whole darned thing! LOL!

Originally Posted by Eurohorses
Good Luck... I replaced both my seals and the problem is still apparent. Im thinking its the gas tank... MB USA refuses to own up to the prob. its a lost cause with them
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Same story. 2005 W211 fixed under the 'technical service bulletin'. Starts acting up in August of 2010 with about 37k miles. Leaves a huge puddle in my garage, dealer replaces seals. Fill car up after getting it back and it totally reeks of gas inside and out. Get it back to dealer who replaces seals and pumps. Today it started smelling again - just about the time I got the gas smell out from the previous repair. I filed a safety complaint with the NHTSA and am going to go bonkers with the dealer and MBUSA if it doesn't get fixed this time. I sent a very clear e-mail documenting the condition and concern in case it burned my garage down. Better safe than sorry.

This car is like a hot girl who cheats on you. You love it, but you know you shouldn't. No matter how much you love it, it still wants to make you sad.

I'm getting an M5 next.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah .. I was a BMW fan ... never encountered safety issues like this on any of the Bimmers I have had (not saying they don't exist). If this were a wear item, I could understand, I just think it is BS that MB won't take ownership and fix it! BMWs have their own issues though! Like you said .. like a cheating girlfriend .. love driving this moving bomb!

Originally Posted by cruz3

... I'm getting an M5 next.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.