W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: VRP HEM or Renntech Shorty?
VRP HEM
36.00%
Renntech
64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

VRP Hem Headers or Renntech Tubular Shortys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by bassn_07
From a price point VRP headers are definitely a bargain over Renntech shorty's and to be honest there's no way I would pay that price tag for what they are. ...

I agree fully. For a shorty, the log maximizes total volume flow (HP) and not low end (TQ). The difference in price (big) and gains (minor) between the brands makes it an apples and oranges sititation....
Old 08-23-2010, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
I agree fully. For a shorty, the log maximizes total volume flow (HP) and not low end (TQ). The difference in price (big) and gains (minor) between the brands makes it an apples and oranges sititation....
For sure! It all comes down to how deep your pocket runs but if you take out the big name ticket of Renntech the VRP shorty's perform just as well or better. Once again there are downfalls to purchasing a product that will no longer be supported. Obviously your best bet would be to buy a used set from a reputable member and there shouldn't be any issues.

I do find it funny that people make fun of these headers with proven results on the track at a very reasonable price.....

Just to note, I have several Renntech items on my car and I don't have a single complaint about quality or performance. All though I will admit they did come at a much higher price tag over similar products now offered here on MBW.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
In terms of power, I agree with Jangy: the VRP exhaust manifolds probably maximizes gains although I think the performance between the headers will be very close. To me, the RennTech ones look like they're just so much better designed (not just the one pictured but the original 55k one). However, I think the purchasing decision has to factor some type of product support as well. Otherwise, what good is it buying a header that may possibly crack or may already have a manufacturing defect or whatever problem that may arise if the product is discontinued and the company may not support it.

The price argument (to me) is very relative and depends on personal choice. For instance, one could look at Brabus's current prices and think they are way too expensive and that RennTech prices are dirt cheap in comparison while others can look at a Powerchip tune and think that they are way too expensive when compared to Eurocharged/LET tunes, etc.... I think having a solid-standing relationship with the actual company and how comfortable you feel with their service and support plays a major role in the purchasing decision. Oh and although brand name price tag factors into the equation, product quality and integrity also play a big role between the different companies out there.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Dropping bottom end TQ to gain traps is the name of the game. The 55k is just a TQ MONSTER. If you look at the HP / TQ graph of a stock vs nicely modded (for 1/4 mile style) E55 one additional thing to look for is a flattening of the lines.

I agree with what many are saying and we should keep in mind that the only reason that we are even comparing the two and talking prices is because of OP's initial poll. I assumed he meant he was considering doing it so I gave the edge to VRP because I am familiar with this particular product. As for service, etc. I assumed OP knew the deal...
Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Bramage
I have seen posts about the PLM Heat Exchangers, but very little information on thier headers. They look nice in pictures. Another member here had outlined 40HP gain on back to back dyno runs after install, but the post disappeared. Maybe this is a taboo subject?
40hp gains with a shorty? NOT A CHANCE, regardless of the brand. Those gains would be more in-line with LTs PLUS a custom tune. Taboo or not, it sound slimey to me. First, the word gets spread that they are RT knock offs or even the same, LOL!! Dont forget, the shape of headers on the outside has nothing to do with the craftsmanship and welding on the inside. Then, this rediculous claim of 40hp gains in a controlled study. This forum is way too refined for that.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
40hp gains with a shorty? NOT A CHANCE, regardless of the brand. Those gains would be more in-line with LTs PLUS a custom tune. Taboo or not, it sound slimey to me. First, the word gets spread that they are RT knock offs or even the same, LOL!! Dont forget, the shape of headers on the outside has nothing to do with the craftsmanship and welding on the inside. Then, this rediculous claim of 40hp gains in a controlled study. This forum is way too refined for that.
are kleemanns considered shortys or LT? mine are on and we just cut the primary cats off and just need to weld in the piggy pipes.

I was told 30-40 whp with them and the cat delete.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by skratch77
are kleemanns considered shortys or LT? mine are on and we just cut the primary cats off and just need to weld in the piggy pipes.

I was told 30-40 whp with them and the cat delete.
Kleemans are considered mid-lenghts. My honest guess would be closer to 25 but 30 is realistic depending on gas used, etc.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
**** ADMIN WARNING ****

The discussion, sale, promotion and/or advertising of COPY-CAT, KNOCK OFF and/or REPLICA product is specifically prohibited on this site.

As such, any posts regarding a certain brand of header that is a stolen design from RENNTech will be deleted and certain members have already been given warnings and/or infractions.

This site will not allow the promotion of products at the expense of those that spent hard money and time to design something.

This message does not endorse the RT headers, but is a condemnation on those that are harming good verdors and the indutry as a whole.

Think about it - Do you have a fake Rolex? Do you sport fake Nike Jordan's and fake Ralph Loren or Ed Hardy cothes? Do you buy your wife/GF a fake LV purse? This is the same as supporting "fake" RENNTech headers (or any other REAL tuner for that matter).

thanks
Brad
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Contrary to Jackass...er...Jangy's doubts of my motives, these taboo headers are well made inside and out( polished stainless, double welded, and ports cleaned up by hand, with CNC flanges) and made +42whp on my car within three hours of the oringal dyno.

Wow...I never meant to make it personal, but here we go...Just to be clear....you are claiming a gain of 40whp with shorty headers. Even funnier is that you claim shorty headers add 36whp on a mustang dyno. Back calculate your drivetrain loss and tell me if you honestly think shorty headers can gain you 5hp at the crank? That is what I call bs on. It simply can not happen. Now, there are plenty of ways to have a dyno graph show it.......

Contact Marco @ Magnusmotorsports where I did my work if you don't beleive me. Magnus is one of the biggest names in the 4G63 tuning seen for over 15 years. They make 1400+hp 4 cyl race engines for the biggest names out there.

I never said it takes extra skill. I'm saying that god could have installed these shorties on and you simply wouldn't gain 50hp.

Clearly I am doctoring my dyno's for to promote the secret shorty header underground cult agenda....Honestly what is wrong with some of the people on this board...This crazy talk sounds like a fox news special rather then a discussion amongst supposedly educated car enthusiasts. At the end of the day the OP of this thread thanked me and made a decision based on my help, so I am happy to have shared...Despite the naysayers.
You are missing my point altogether. I am glad OP thanked you but am curious to see if he is ultimately happy with the product when he has been fed +42whp. We all know that the reality shows on the track and that dynos are about as accurate as my guess. I don't think you are doctoring or lying. I think you have bought into the concept that shorties can even be compared to LTs WITH a custom tune. This is a topic that has been around and around many times so when you jump in and say things against reason it will get you lashed.

BTW, what tune did you run and what else was on the car when you gained +42whp?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Kleemans are considered mid-lenghts. My honest guess would be closer to 25 but 30 is realistic depending on gas used, etc.
Ill be happy with 30,but Im hoping 40whp since the cars primary cats are gone.

how can a tiny log header with stock cats make 40whp and the mid length with cat delete make 25-30? either the dyno was messed up or the car put down very low numbers on the before dyno.

My car 100% stock put down 403whp,460whp with 180pulley and now its sitting at 420-30whp with stock pulley and tune.Dyno didnt record second pull and the 3rd pull made 420,so we guesed the car would of made 430 on the run that didnt get recorded

Ill be happying with 450whp on stock boost all day.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
You are missing my point altogether. I am glad OP thanked you but am curious to see if he is ultimately happy with the product when he has been fed +42whp. We all know that the reality shows on the track and that dynos are about as accurate as my guess. I don't think you are doctoring or lying. I think you have bought into the concept that shorties can even be compared to LTs WITH a custom tune. This is a topic that has been around and around many times so when you jump in and say things against reason it will get you lashed.

Well my apologies if I took the "slimey" comment personally, but not sure how else to take it. I never once said shorties were superior or equal to long tubes, just that headers I installed on my car made 42whp before and after with no tune, nothing else. It happened, I was there. AF went up a point leaner with them on, so maybe that contriubuted. Just bolted on with new hardware. Also I don't understand your logic that the tool devised for measuring the force of torque at the wheels and providing the formulaic ouput in HP ( ie dyno) is not to be trusted, but track times which are subject to a hundred different factors are somehow the way to measure your power? So If I changed the air in my tires and ran in 30 degree cooler weather and bettered my ET by 3 tenths clearly that new tire air was worth a 30whp gain! We can discuss my experiences through PM if you lilke. I do not intend to break the promotion rules here anymore, but I also don't want people thinking I am either A: Disingenuous or B: Stupid.

Last edited by KLR CLS; 08-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
My post was deleted as well.... I didn't endorse any of the products. I was just asking him if he was really sure he gained the advertised gains and verified it by independent dynos, track results, etc....

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-24-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

Well my apologies if I took the "slimey" comment personally, but not sure how else to take it. I never once said Shorties were superior or equal to long tubes, just that headers I installed made 42whp before and after with no tune. Just bolt on with new hardware. We can discuss my experiences through PM if you lilke.
Apology accepted and I was not directing my slimey comment at you. I believe that you believe in what you are saying. The concern I have is that I have seen DOZENS of various configurations and in all honesty, shorties without a tune give the absolute least gains. The best I have seen without a tune is 20whp and that because an 80mm TB was installed which also added 20hp. Since the kleemans cut out the primary cats, their gains of 30 - 40 are also reasonable. And then long tubes get about 50 with a good tune. I just don't see how you can believe that you seriously gained +42rwhp with a simple bolt on shorty. The tune is KEY!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
jangy quick question. would you by any chance know what elements of the tune a person alters when they tune car for after market headers. For exmaple with the addition of a pulley the tuner usually adds fuel.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by skratch77
Ill be happy with 30,but Im hoping 40whp since the cars primary cats are gone.

how can a tiny log header with stock cats make 40whp and the mid length with cat delete make 25-30? either the dyno was messed up or the car put down very low numbers on the before dyno.

My car 100% stock put down 403whp,460whp with 180pulley and now its sitting at 420-30whp with stock pulley and tune.Dyno didnt record second pull and the 3rd pull made 420,so we guesed the car would of made 430 on the run that didnt get recorded

Ill be happying with 450whp on stock boost all day.

My car made an average of 406 (408 high, 403 low) whp stock and 443, and 448 on two sucessive pulls after my header install. With just headers, 185mm pulley and Eurocharged tune I made 500whp and 575 WTQ, up a total of 94whp and 123wtq with IAT's over 174 degrees. With cooler IAT's would be another 25whp easy.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
As the OP, I want to thank everyone for thier input. I had no clue there was an issue with one of the header options we have, but now I know. Based on all the feedback, I think the Short header will yeild somewhere around 20HP or better. that is an OK gain, and I do not have any misconceptions. If I got 42, and it was real.. cool. But regardless of my direction, I am not worried about that. In fact, I will get a stock baseline, throw on all the mods, (tune) and dyno again. then, Ill go to the track with my new set up and see what it does. Hopefully my tuner can make it all work...

I love the passion, but am upset someone was put on probabtion for sharing thier experienece. I am not sure there is any info on not discussing "BLM" headers, but i think I have the info I needed, and this can be closed. Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by Bramage; 08-24-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Originally Posted by shardul
jangy quick question. would you by any chance know what elements of the tune a person alters when they tune car for after market headers. For exmaple with the addition of a pulley the tuner usually adds fuel.
I know nothing about tuning, however I think it all comes down to this:

Air Fuel Mixture
Timing

You tweek these based on the flow / capabilities of the engine, and optimize through the RPM range. So the answer if tuning just headers would probably just be mixture (Air / Fuel)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by shardul
Keep in mind that these cars run fairly rich for protection. Adding headers will do a few things. One less backpressure when you are loading the chamber so you actually drop in boost. Also, now you have much higher velocity and volume of air flowing, so timing is also needed.

Now, we all know that you can try to squeeze every last ounce out by running a bit lean and advancing the timing BUT we all also know what can happen. To do it once to get great dyno numbers is fine but I stayed a little more conservative with mine.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
My car made an average of 406 (408 high, 403 low) whp stock and 443, and 448 on two sucessive pulls after my header install. With just headers, 185mm pulley and Eurocharged tune I made 500whp and 575 WTQ, up a total of 94whp and 123wtq with IAT's over 174 degrees. With cooler IAT's would be another 25whp easy.
Very impressive numbers. That is with stock cooling? Your brave.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
That was with HE and CM30 pump combo.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Keep in mind that these cars run fairly rich for protection. Adding headers will do a few things. One less backpressure when you are loading the chamber so you actually drop in boost. Also, now you have much higher velocity and volume of air flowing, so timing is also needed.

Now, we all know that you can try to squeeze every last ounce out by running a bit lean and advancing the timing BUT we all also know what can happen. To do it once to get great dyno numbers is fine but I stayed a little more conservative with mine.
thanks a lot jangy