W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL ISSUES!!!! WTF is up with this car??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
FUEL ISSUES!!!! WTF is up with this car??

So 2 months ago My fuel pump relay burnt(yes relay, socket and harness). Then I needed a passener side fuel pump. Fixed both. Now I had a leak on the driver side and while removing the hose, The collar for the fuel pump snapped. Ok so I replaced the fuel pump, put new seals and replaced the line that was leaking.. Good to go... all is fixed NO LEAKS..... Now tonight(not even 2hours after I did the job). I started smelling gas. So I pull over and Go mobile-mechanic right then and there.. I found no leaks. However the fuel tank and the metal frame under the seat is ****ing HOT! I mean really HOT.. Unsafe Hot. I'm not really one to rant at all, but im beginning to think that this car is unsafe. I drive around with my 2 kids, I give my mom the car at times and I am always on the road 30k miles/year... I'm just looking for anyone to shed some light on this issue, Any similar experiences?.... I feel like giving up on the car and selling it dirt cheap....

thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Stage I RennTech E55
here you go!!!
file a complaint like everyone else bc i had to go thru all that crap as well

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...all-bombs.html
Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 AM

im starting to think the charcoal canister is bad. because i am mainly smelling it outside the car.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
my canister is going bad on my cobra and I smell fuel mostly inside the car. you might be right though, it should be a cheap fix. Dont give up on the beast man, hang in there.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
If your floorpan covers are sealed completely then you will not smell gas in the car. You could still have a leak from the fuel level sensors.

The best bet is to check this out yourself before something happens. Go to the thread above and follow the step by step procedure to check the fuel level sensor seals. It takes 5 minutes and a 8mm socket.

Fill the car up close to home, drive home, take rear seat out, open two inspection covers and look for gas in/around the two level sensor assem.

Originally Posted by TopEndS62
im starting to think the charcoal canister is bad. because i am mainly smelling it outside the car.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 03RSTT
If your floorpan covers are sealed completely then you will not smell gas in the car. You could still have a leak from the fuel level sensors.

The best bet is to check this out yourself before something happens. Go to the thread above and follow the step by step procedure to check the fuel level sensor seals. It takes 5 minutes and a 8mm socket.

Fill the car up close to home, drive home, take rear seat out, open two inspection covers and look for gas in/around the two level sensor assem.
Well maybe thats it. i only have the floorpans held in by 2 screws due to the fact that im monitoring it and checking it almost every hour for leaks. However im under the impression that the e55 fuel system is supposed to be sealed system.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
While the E55 may have a host of other fuel related "issues" or shortcomings. My only experience has been with these repeated leaks coming from the fuel level sensor and fuel pump assembly. The seal between the sensors and the gas tank itself are my repeated failures.

So if you wish to check that area then just fill up the car and drive it a couple miles. Stop and pop both covers off. If the level sensors are leaking at all....you will see the gas and smell it.

On a side note. One other member on this forum has eliminated all the stock fuel system and ran his own fuel supply/regulator/return line setup. He is running a fuel feed line up to the engine....a fuel pressure regulator at the engine....and then a fuel return line. This is how the car should have come from the factory. If we keep this car....that may be the only long term solution. I still say the EPA mandate and redesign of the fuel return line is why we are having this problem to begin with. Our cars do not have a fuel return line and the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank. That is why there is a hornets nest of hoses in the tank. EPA decided that emissions was better if the cars had no fuel return line. In my opinion a stupid move.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info. I've decided to sell thoogh. I am going to fix it and sell. I really like the car but its time to move on. IMHO fuel (and brakes) are 2 of the most important systems thats is life-threatning if it fails.