Custom Audio set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
No you are right not everyone has the passion I do for my audio. Is there certain equipment that is built better than others sure. But everyone buys what they see fit for there needs. Granted so have never experience the gear I use or have used but that does not mean that they can not enjoy what they have. Would I like to turn everyone on to audio that I listen to but it may not be for everyone. I can build people set ups that are no where as near as costly as mine and get them to have a great sounding car.

Tgoss if you want to make some changes to your build hit me up I would be glad to help you out. You are not that far from me.
Jay - I live in the same glass house as you my friend Sound in my car has and always will be a bigger priority that go fast mods or cosmetics, so spending money on that has never made me think twice.

I'm just not a fan of telling people what they don't have because "I" personally don't approve of it. LOL

The biggest thing I would love to change is the grille over the center channel. The plastic piece that the 03-04 models have now is the only thing that rattles in my car so if you have any good ideas on that please let me know The only thing is, I have my LED for my radar fit in there so I would either need to figure out where to put that, or maybe put it in a smoked glass dome to make it more noticeable when it's going off (that would be preferable.) If anything comes to mind hit me up. I'd love to pay you for a great solution
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
The system comprise of this:
Head Unit- Kenwood DNX 9140
Tweets- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 110's
Mids- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 430's
MidBass- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 650's
Subs- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 1200's
Center- Micro Precision 5.8 (3" wideband driver)
Rears- Micro Precision 5.8
Amps- Tru Technology Super Billet B8 two of them.( I have them bridge so one runs the leftside and the other runs the right side)
Tru Technology Billet 4100 ( runs the center channel and rears)
Processor- Zapco DSP6 (two of them)
Wires- Straight Wires Encore II (RCA's)
Sound Proofing- Cascade

As for IB not be fooled it still gets very loud. I prefer very fast tight and accurate Bass. So, no is it not as loud as ported box. But it will be low and hard if I choice it to be that way. The advantage to IB is space saving and you dont need a ton of power to get it moving.

I will pull the cover off to night so you can see the interworkings.
What did the set up cost your end if you don't mind sharing. thanks
Old 09-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
What did the set up cost your end if you don't mind sharing. thanks
Retail is about 20k give or take a couple grand for everything but my labor.

I paid far less than that.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by tgoss
Jay - I live in the same glass house as you my friend Sound in my car has and always will be a bigger priority that go fast mods or cosmetics, so spending money on that has never made me think twice.

I'm just not a fan of telling people what they don't have because "I" personally don't approve of it. LOL

The biggest thing I would love to change is the grille over the center channel. The plastic piece that the 03-04 models have now is the only thing that rattles in my car so if you have any good ideas on that please let me know The only thing is, I have my LED for my radar fit in there so I would either need to figure out where to put that, or maybe put it in a smoked glass dome to make it more noticeable when it's going off (that would be preferable.) If anything comes to mind hit me up. I'd love to pay you for a great solution
Send me a pic of how you have your led for your radar in there. I have an idea on how to fix the who thing for you.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Try puting your tweets in the kicks with your mids and I am sure you will see why I do it this way. Now do I do it in all the installs I do for me or others, NO. but for most because of the results. Now if this was a truck or large SUV I would have done the build in the A pillars.

maybe I'll try, just for shake, one day when I'll have a car who has room enough for a panel box for kicks and for my big feet

btw, surprised to see from your pic that E55 has not the same sporty brake pedal like CLS
Old 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by dyno
maybe I'll try, just for shake, one day when I'll have a car who has room enough for a panel box for kicks and for my big feet

btw, surprised to see from your pic that E55 has not the same sporty brake pedal like CLS
I took it out that's why you don't see it
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing...now time to take a long ride and enjoy the sounds of music AND the engine.

I share your pursuit for great sound so I love what you did to your ride.

Jon
Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Retail is about 20k give or take a couple grand for everything but my labor.

I paid far less than that.

yes, that deal was maybe the reason why you put 2 of those B8 amps.
Imho, one of them is quite redundant: you could have run all your speakers from the front tweet to the rear surround, for both Left AND Right side, using just one B8 and still the available power would have been more than those speakers could afford. (and, without bridging, maybe you could also save a few db in noise floor).
then, just another proper amp for subs and the center.

I think no need to scare people: the 5K area is quite reasonable for getting a Top SQ system and nice install.
If you want to go very exotic with gear and with install then, yes, you 'll be a friend of the 10+ K area ..

but, love work done with passion, so remain waiting to see what's under the trunk

Last edited by dyno; 09-04-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:44 PM

2012 Armada
yes, that deal was maybe the reason why you put 2 of those B8 amps.
Imho, one of them is quite redundant: you could have run all your speakers from the front tweet to the rear surround, for both Left AND Right side, using just one B8 and still the available power would have been more than those speakers could afford. (and, without bridging, maybe you could also save a few db in noise floor).
then, just another proper amp for subs and the center.

I think no need to scare people: the 5K area is quite reasonable for getting a Top SQ system and nice install.
If you want to go very exotic with gear and with install then, yes, you 'll be a friend of the 10+ K area ..

but, love work done with passion, so remain waiting to see what's under the trunk

No it is not redundant. I wanted seperation. for the average guy yes it is over kill but for someone as passionate as I am about my music it is not. And for me one B8 would not run my whole system because I dont passives. Nor will I ever run passives again. I have not run passives for over 10yrs.

Sure I can build someone a great sounding system for 5k hell I can do it for under that. I like what I like and I am crazy. I think about it this way I would put this money in my stereo instead of go fast mods like others.
The following users liked this post:
Blake Barratt (02-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
No it is not redundant. I wanted seperation. for the average guy yes it is over kill but for someone as passionate as I am about my music it is not. And for me one B8 would not run my whole system because I dont passives. Nor will I ever run passives again. I have not run passives for over 10yrs.

Sure I can build someone a great sounding system for 5k hell I can do it for under that. I like what I like and I am crazy. I think about it this way I would put this money in my stereo instead of go fast mods like others.
Amen! ..........But now you can throw money at go fast mods
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nor will I ever run passives again. I have not run passives for over 10yrs.

I am not so keen with audio, just every 5 or 10 year period I take a deep immersion into it. ... something like an escape when performance mods (whicjh I indeed like mostly) get too complicate ..

so I'll take this occasion for asking you about Active vs passive drivers ' control.
yes, multi-amping and active is nice .. you can play with a lot of toys and gear BUT if I have to say the truth, I miss a bit the time when we had just one amp to drive everything (or at least a 3-way set of speakers): by doing that you really could perceive more clearly the better or worse overall performance of a certain amplifier versus another .. its ability (or inability) to keep up with music and deliver real power ...

I see that currently people is crazy with active and multi-amping . it usually end up with amplifiers that are strongly under-exploited ..
so, in the end, what do you like more with going active ... please elaborate.

ps: I found myself in diyma your full build ...
compliments !

Last edited by dyno; 09-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 PM

2012 Armada
I am not so keen with audio, just every 5 or 10 year period I take a deep immersion into it. ... something like an escape when performance mods (whicjh I indeed like mostly) get too complicate ..

so I'll take this occasion for asking you about Active vs passive drivers ' control.
yes, multi-amping and active is nice .. you can play with a lot of toys and gear BUT if I have to say the truth, I miss a bit the time when we had just one amp to drive everything (or at least a 3-way set of speakers): by doing that you really could perceive more clearly the better or worse overall performance of a certain amplifier versus another .. its ability (or inability) to keep up with music and deliver real power ...

I see that currently people is crazy with active and multi-amping . it usually end up with amplifiers that are strongly under-exploited ..
so, in the end, what do you like more with going active ... please elaborate.

ps: I found myself in diyma your full build ...
compliments !
The major difference in passive vs active is that passive you use the preset crossover selections from the factory. The problem with that is they are usally are very conservative. Not to mention they may not work for every build in every car. So and active set up allows you to control the cross over points and eq settings depending on your processor. With active I can set my tweeters where I want based on build location. As well as my other drivers. I can also set time alignment for each driver. Passive is cool for that out of the box build where you dont want any specific sound.

Also you can get the max out of your drivers by going active.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by tgoss
Amen! ..........But now you can throw money at go fast mods
I am thinking about adding so Kleeman Headers. And and exhaust if I can find one that is an arm and a leg and that would be it for me for power mods.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM

2018 AMG E63s
jayhawkblk

Love the install. Dyn and Tru are a match made in heaven.

Just one question. Did you have to cut any metal in the kick panels?

I would love to put my mid's in the kick panels however being a right hand drive car with the gas pedal in the way it's really no option for me unless I cut metal which i'm not willing to do.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by Aussie-E-John
jayhawkblk

Love the install. Dyn and Tru are a match made in heaven.

Just one question. Did you have to cut any metal in the kick panels?

I would love to put my mid's in the kick panels however being a right hand drive car with the gas pedal in the way it's really no option for me unless I cut metal which i'm not willing to do.
You dont have to cut the metal but if you are only putting mids down there it would help. I guess it all depends on the mids you are using. The metal that you would cut is not structural so if you cut it no big deal.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Wow looks great. I am in the process of doing my whole trunk as well. QUESTION how did you get the pass side pannel looking so good with no wrinkles (in the trunk) Iam using black suede and the whole trunk is done beicides that piece.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 AM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by Evolved8
Wow looks great. I am in the process of doing my whole trunk as well. QUESTION how did you get the pass side pannel looking so good with no wrinkles (in the trunk) Iam using black suede and the whole trunk is done beicides that piece.
I just dyed it for now. I am going to suede it as well but you are going to have to sew it. It will need seams. There is no way to do it with out it. Unless you fiberglass the side panel so that it is flat. I did that for a guy with a E550. Can put logos and what not on it.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
I just dyed it for now. I am going to suede it as well but you are going to have to sew it. It will need seams. There is no way to do it with out it. Unless you fiberglass the side panel so that it is flat. I did that for a guy with a E550. Can put logos and what not on it.
Thats what i figured, What all is involved with the dye process I think Iam going to take that route. Once again THANKS for the insight!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM

2012 Armada
Thats what i figured, What all is involved with the dye process I think Iam going to take that route. Once again THANKS for the insight!!
SEM fabric dye is all you need. It is rattle can. Really easy.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
SEM fabric dye is all you need. It is rattle can. Really easy.

Cool. Thanks again looks SWEET!!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM

2012 Armada
Cool. Thanks again looks SWEET!!
Glad I could help. You need anything just hit me up. What equip are you running? Did you change your deck? If you have command the Dynavin is putting one out in March that is plug and play for those that have command. A friend of mine just installed the other one but had to tap into the CAN.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Glad I could help. You need anything just hit me up. What equip are you running? Did you change your deck? If you have command the Dynavin is putting one out in March that is plug and play for those that have command. A friend of mine just installed the other one but had to tap into the CAN.
I upgraded the small screen unit with an 05 command unit. As far as audio I have a JL audio 2 channel amp and 2 JL W 12's. Ill post pictures here when I get home. I made a flush look with a piece of mdf for the back half of the trunk.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
I have been reading about the Dynavin HU, is it a good platform? I contacted Dynavin directly but since English is not their first language they directed me to their American retailers, who haven't replied to my emails. Do you have a picture of the DNX9140 mounted into your car? I have that HU in both of my other cars, but feel it would look a bit barren in the e55.

Also regarding the subwoofer install, do you still get a punchy bass from having it boxless? I do not care for the car vibrating bass, but an accurate punchy quick bass.

Thanks for sharing your build, a complete audio overhaul is what is net on my list, hopefully have it completed by mid february. Your help will be much appreciated, especially as you have knowledge of this specific car.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM

2012 Armada
Well I made a few changes to my set up cosmetics that is. enjoy....

Thinking of taking out the suede and just doing all carpet
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Well I made a few changes to my set up cosmetics that is. enjoy....

Thinking of taking out the suede and just doing all carpet
I like the suede.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Audio set up