MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
well done looks clean !!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Dude that looks sick! Is that all alcantara?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
damn ,very nice will you come to AZ and do this set up for me lol
If the price is right. LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by tgoss
Dude that looks sick! Is that all alcantara?
Why yes it is sir...

Just so you guys know the big black amp there is 2 of them. The other one is under it. There is also a 4 channel version behind the amg sign.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM

2012 Armada
also that is real wood veneer (walnut) surrounding the amp.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM

2008 Ml350
Very nice Jayhawk.

Anyone thinking about IB set up do it... You will not regret it (UNLESS YOU LIKE CAR AND TEETH SHAKING BASS) then you may not like it.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 PM

2008 Ml350
You should list out the components and what not... Sub brand and things. We know the mids are Dynaudio (the best)
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ml3504me
Very nice Jayhawk.

Anyone thinking about IB set up do it... You will not regret it (UNLESS YOU LIKE CAR AND TEETH SHAKING BASS) then you may not like it.
What exactly is an "IB" set up? And I do for one like teeth shaking bass... so maybe I don't care.

Are you just referring to how the subwoofers are mounted without a sealed or ported box?

TIA

BTW jay - that really is a nice job. I'd love something like that but I'd have to hear how the subs sound. I'd really like to have my trunk back lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 AM

2008 Ml350
IB = Infinite baffle.

Uses the trunk as the "enclosure". Here is my "IB" set up with the baffle board in the rear deck. You can see there is no box just basic free air subs.

You will NEVER get the low bass notes from this set up like you will from a ported box and not even like sealed.

You will however get NO TRUNK RATTLE and CLEAN sound. Solid bass not fluttering crap.

The following users liked this post:
Blake Barratt (02-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh that's pretty cool. Thank you for the explanation. That set up is def. not for me then.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
here are a few pics of my work.

..a lot of work here

so, as I understand, you didn't fix the sub upon the rear deck but below it. so it remained stock. right ?

kicks well done but they couldn't live with my foot ..

could you open the cover and let's see what goodies sitting below in the trunk,
and please some specs ..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

2012 Armada
The system comprise of this:
Head Unit- Kenwood DNX 9140
Tweets- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 110's
Mids- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 430's
MidBass- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 650's
Subs- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 1200's
Center- Micro Precision 5.8 (3" wideband driver)
Rears- Micro Precision 5.8
Amps- Tru Technology Super Billet B8 two of them.( I have them bridge so one runs the leftside and the other runs the right side)
Tru Technology Billet 4100 ( runs the center channel and rears)
Processor- Zapco DSP6 (two of them)
Wires- Straight Wires Encore II (RCA's)
Sound Proofing- Cascade

As for IB not be fooled it still gets very loud. I prefer very fast tight and accurate Bass. So, no is it not as loud as ported box. But it will be low and hard if I choice it to be that way. The advantage to IB is space saving and you dont need a ton of power to get it moving.

I will pull the cover off to night so you can see the interworkings.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The system comprise of this:
Head Unit- Kenwood DNX 9140
Tweets- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 110's
Mids- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 430's
MidBass- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 650's
Subs- Dyn Audio Esotar 2 1200's
Center- Micro Precision 5.8 (3" wideband driver)
Rears- Micro Precision 5.8
Amps- Tru Technology Super Billet B8 two of them.( I have them bridge so one runs the leftside and the other runs the right side)
Tru Technology Billet 4100 ( runs the center channel and rears)
Processor- Zapco DSP6 (two of them)
Wires- Straight Wires Encore II (RCA's)
Sound Proofing- Cascade

As for IB not be fooled it still gets very loud. I prefer very fast tight and accurate Bass. So, no is it not as loud as ported box. But it will be low and hard if I choice it to be that way. The advantage to IB is space saving and you dont need a ton of power to get it moving.

I will pull the cover off to night so you can see the interworkings.

thanks,
so, you are using your 4x300watts of B8 like this:
- 300W full power (gain on par) for each sub
- 300W with decreasing gain for each one of mid-low, mid, and tweet. with the tweet using maybe around half power ?

then you have rear doors and front stock tweeters dis.connected.

rears and center are because your processor makes 5.1 environment, right.
and do you keep 5.1 setting for usual listening ?

just don't get why kicks and not use our doors

aaand .. stock battery ?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by dyno
thanks,
so, you are using your 4x300watts of B8 like this:
- 300W full power (gain on par) for each sub
- 300W with decreasing gain for each one of mid-low, mid, and tweet. with the tweet using maybe around half power ?

then you have rear doors and front stock tweeters dis.connected.

rears and center are because your processor makes 5.1 environment, right.
and do you keep 5.1 setting for usual listening ?

just don't get why kicks and not use our doors

aaand .. stock battery ?
Dont pay so much attention to the numbers. My B8's are not stock so throw out what you see on the website.

I dont have any of the stock speakers in the car. I dont alway run the 5.1 either. The purpose for using the kicks and not the doors and sail panels is all about imaging and staging. Even with my center channel off i have a perfect center imagine. The vocalist is in the center of my hood at about eye level. It also give you a wider sound stage. So if the lead guitarist is playing on the far left of the stage or the far left side of the recording studio then that is where you hear him in my car. Consider my car a rolling concert hall or sound studio. It is very accurate. So how the music was recorded that is how you hear it. I can hear the singers take a breath in between notes I have recordings where I can hear them turning the pages on there sheet music.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM

2012 Armada
Oh the stock battery is in there at the moment but I have kinetic 2100 that I need to put in but the stocker is doing great for now. And my mid bass are in the doors.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 AM

2008 Ml350
The purpose for using the kicks and not the doors and sail panels is all about imaging and staging. Even with my center channel off i have a perfect center imagine. The vocalist is in the center of my hood at about eye level. It also give you a wider sound stage. So if the lead guitarist is playing on the far left of the stage or the far left side of the recording studio then that is where you hear him in my car. Consider my car a rolling concert hall or sound studio. It is very accurate. So how the music was recorded that is how you hear it. I can hear the singers take a breath in between notes I have recordings where I can hear them turning the pages on there sheet music.
All of you kids that think you have a system because you added 2 twelves to the trunk and a Alpine head unit please wake up. Recognize this is a system. If you have aftermarket subs and stock mids and highs you do not have a system.

If you have to turn the treble up so you hear words over bass you do not have a system.

If you hear more trunk rattle than music you do not have a system.

If you have a 5000 watt amp on your sub and nothing on your mids and highs you do not have a system.

If I can hear your bass outside the car down the street most likely you do not have a system.

Getting the music to sound like its supposed to is what you want. High end equipment like Zapco, Dynaudio, Morel, Rainbow, Some of the DLS and some Focal line are good names. Not Alpine, Kenwood and JL.

Thank you for sharing the system info thats some great equipment. I had Zapco stuff in my ride too... The DC650 ran my system with one of their in dash amp controllers.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM

2008 Ml350
Do you have any pics of the rear deck? Was it vented? Were the speakers mount from the top or bottom? I bet with large magnets like that you mounted from the bottom.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dont pay so much attention to the numbers. My B8's are not stock so throw out what you see on the website.

I dont have any of the stock speakers in the car.
Ok, don't talk about absolute values, just the principle: I was wondering if using that 4xch amplifier setting you have to address to all speakers, except subwoofers, only half the power you have available (as it is, before gain adjustment, big the same at each amplifier channel but, on the other hand, you cannot deliver particularly to tweeters and to midranges the same power you deliver to the sub) .

sorry, but my POW about location and directionality for the source of high frequencies cannot conceive to have them down there.
I prefer to have the staging and image set by my center channel.

I can hear the singers take a breath in between notes I have recordings where I can hear them turning the pages on there sheet music.
anyway, if you can hear that ... then, means it's really OK !

Last edited by dyno; 09-02-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM

2008 Ml350
Ok, don't talk about absolute values, just the principle: I was wondering if using that 4xch amplifier setting you have to address to all speakers, except subwoofers, only half the power you have available (as it is, before gain adjustment, big the same at each amplifier channel but, on the other hand, you cannot deliver particularly to tweeters and to midranges the same power you deliver to the sub)
The 4 channel amp makes the same power or more the way he is doing it. I am pretty sure each of his sides, right and left is like a channel.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM

2012 Armada
Ok, don't talk about absolute values, just the principle: I was wondering if using that 4xch amplifier setting you have to address to all speakers, except subwoofers, only half the power you have available (as it is, before gain adjustment, big the same at each amplifier channel but, on the other hand, you cannot deliver particularly to tweeters and to midranges the same power you deliver to the sub) .

sorry, but my POW about location and directionality for the source of high frequencies cannot conceive to have them down there.
I prefer to have the staging and image set by my center channel.

anyway, if you can hear that ... then, means it's really OK !
All my gains on my amps are level matched using an osiliscope. I then control the out put from my processors so, no in theory the tweets are not seeing the same power as the subs.

I dont use my center channel to set my staging. Because by doing that you can narrow your width. The center is more for ambiance. My car is set up for a two seat listening so you get the same experience on the passenger side as you do on the driver side. My drivers work really great off axis. Infact there is only about 6db roll off vs. on axis. Try puting your tweets in the kicks with your mids and I am sure you will see why I do it this way. Now do I do it in all the installs I do for me or others, NO. but for most because of the results. Now if this was a truck or large SUV I would have done the build in the A pillars.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM

2012 Armada
Do you have any pics of the rear deck? Was it vented? Were the speakers mount from the top or bottom? I bet with large magnets like that you mounted from the bottom.
I made the baffle and cut out the rear deck then mounted the baffle from the bottem. but loaded the subs from the top then used the stoct parcel self cover so it looks stock from the inside. I will see if I took pics of it prior to install to show you.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All of you kids that think you have a system because you added 2 twelves to the trunk and a Alpine head unit please wake up. Recognize this is a system. If you have aftermarket subs and stock mids and highs you do not have a system.

If you have to turn the treble up so you hear words over bass you do not have a system.

If you hear more trunk rattle than music you do not have a system.

If you have a 5000 watt amp on your sub and nothing on your mids and highs you do not have a system.

If I can hear your bass outside the car down the street most likely you do not have a system.

Getting the music to sound like its supposed to is what you want. High end equipment like Zapco, Dynaudio, Morel, Rainbow, Some of the DLS and some Focal line are good names. Not Alpine, Kenwood and JL.

Thank you for sharing the system info thats some great equipment. I had Zapco stuff in my ride too... The DC650 ran my system with one of their in dash amp controllers.
Keep in mind that music is only as good as the ears listening to it.

Just because most members don't have "your" ideal system compiled of the components you approve of and wouldn't think of throwing that kind of money into a car, let alone it's sound system to make it sound like a grand hall doesn't mean they don't enjoy the "upgrades" they have made to their system.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by tgoss
Keep in mind that music is only as good as the ears listening to it.

Just because most members don't have "your" ideal system compiled of the components you approve of and wouldn't think of throwing that kind of money into a car, let alone it's sound system to make it sound like a grand hall doesn't mean they don't enjoy the "upgrades" they have made to their system.
No you are right not everyone has the passion I do for my audio. Is there certain equipment that is built better than others sure. But everyone buys what they see fit for there needs. Granted so have never experience the gear I use or have used but that does not mean that they can not enjoy what they have. Would I like to turn everyone on to audio that I listen to but it may not be for everyone. I can build people set ups that are no where as near as costly as mine and get them to have a great sounding car.

Tgoss if you want to make some changes to your build hit me up I would be glad to help you out. You are not that far from me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Audio set up