Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Here is the picture ... It may not be the source of your issue but I was shocked to see oil up in there. Phone camera pic does not do it justice. I was like what the hell?

Used transmissions are about $1500 to $2500 (without shipping) Hope it's not that! Did you change out the part going into the tranny already .. the yellow part in my pic above? That part on mine is full of trans fluid ... got to get that changed out.

Originally Posted by kjlindgr
Can you snap a picture of the carpet you pulled out and the steel plate that needed to be removed? I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction without pulling too much apart.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship
I haven't changed it out yet. I'm going to order one today. I just figured while I have everything apart, I might as well check the plug inside the car too. I have a hard time believing...or wanting to believe...that this trans is on it's way out at only 50K miles. I don't know how the car was used prior to me getting it, but it would have had to have been drag raced often or beat hard for the trans to be limping already...and even still I would expect a longer life.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Before you order one ... call Mercedes, I called about recalls on mine and this was one of the recalls .. just did that this morning! Too bad I already changed mine out! But it's only a couple of bucks. My local indy guy also recommended me to clean the INSIDE of the TCU .. I did not do that! He said he saw it happen on 230CLK (I think) kompressor too!

I haven't changed it out yet. I'm going to order one today. I just figured while I have everything apart, I might as well check the plug inside the car too. I have a hard time believing...or wanting to believe...that this trans is on it's way out at only 50K miles. I don't know how the car was used prior to me getting it, but it would have had to have been drag raced often or beat hard for the trans to be limping already...and even still I would expect a longer life.

Last edited by turbo97se; 09-28-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 / 2008 E63
I had the issue of after a high rev tranny would lock into neutral until a stop / restart. Car was at approx 50k miles. Ended up being the valve body that was replaced under warranty.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Viking War Ship
Hmm...perhaps I should call the stealership to see if there is a recall on my car. Is it just as easy as calling and giving them my VIN to see if there are any open recalls on it? Sorry for sounding dumb...but I've never owned a new car and have always serviced my own.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup ... call them up ask for service and tell them you want to check if there are any open recalls on your vehicle and they'll ask for your VIN ... pretty painless. Like you, I take care of my own vehicles for the most part ... but mine are usually modded to the point no one else can work on them anyway!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Viking War Ship
Hmm...but then that raises the question...would they reject doing recall work on the car if it has mods? My car has long-tube headers, 82mm throttle body, Kleemann tune, and some other nonsense on it.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Warranty work .. possibly although they'd have to prove that the mods caused damage to whatever you are warrantying ... recalls, I don't think they can reject since they are recalling it to fix a defective design. For me, I switched it out myself ... it actually saved me money in the end since my dealer is an hour away! Saved me time and gas on this thirsty thing! Plus I know for sure it is done RIGHT! . I was actually checking on the fuel smell, leaking recall ... and they told me about this
Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 PM

Viking War Ship
I called the stealer and they confirmed that there are no open recalls on my VIN. I ordered the plug thingie and I'll start there first...$11 with shipping. The parts guy confirmed that they have the "contact plate" in stock too...which is a $140 part and requires the pan removed which would require a fluid/filter/gasket change. I'll hold off on this for now...but this is my immediate step #2. They also said that it could be a valve body or solenoids too but those are down the road things to check.

I asked about clutch packs and stuff and he said they rarely if ever have replaced clutch packs in these cars. What do I know...
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Long tube headers, TB, tune, you're putting down some serious HP and TQ. It's not out of the question that a stock trans could die after 55k miles of hard driving. Gotta pay to play with the big power.

Good luck, I hope it's something simple.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM

AMGs
That's what I'm fearing, but I want to try everything possible prior to worrying about that.

Can you tell me what you did for a trans? New, rebuilt/upgraded, used?
The term they used was a 'transmission overhaul' along w/ a new torque converter. The term I used after was 'FML'...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E55, 03FORD P/S,01 E320-4M,99 ML320,O4 E55,05 RUBICON UNLIMITED,
HERE'S THE DEAL,IF YOU HAVE TRANS FLUID IN YOUR TCU,TAKE IT APART AND USE ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER AND CLEAN IT AND THE WIRE HARNESS.REPLACE YOUR ELECTRICAL PLUG COMPLETE W/ BLACK ORINGS, THE WHITE ONES LEAK.TRANS. IMPLAUSIBLE GEAR RATIO CODES CAN BE CAUSED BY THIS AND/OR BUILD UP ON THE THE CONDUCTOR PLATE MAGNETS THAT PICK-UP TRANS SPEED.SINCE YOU HAVE AN SDS WATCH YOUR ACTUAL VALUES AND COMPARE THEM,IF YOUR FLUID IS FULL,TCU IS DRY I WOULD PULL OUT THE VB AND LOOK AT THOSE MAGNETS AND YOU'LL PROBABLY SEE BITS OF FINE METAL ON THEM CAUSING A "SHORT" OF THE SIGNAL.CLEAN MAGNETS,FILL W/ FLUID,RESET ADAPT.'S AND REROAD TEST.THIS PROBLEMS IS PRETTY COMMON AFTER TRANS SERVICES.THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON TO REPLACE THE TCU,I'VE DONE MORE REPAIRS LIKE THIS THAN I CAN REMEMBER,NOT A GAURANTEED FIX BUT SOMETHING TO START WITH. A LITTLE MORE INFO ABOUT THE FLUID IN THE HARNESS,THINK ABOUT THE STRAW EFFECT,YOU PUT IT IN WATER,CAP ONE SIDE,FLUID STAYS IN STRAW. YOU TAKE FINGER OFF OF STRAW FLUID DRAINS,THIS IS THE SAME PRICIPLE OF THE LEAKING ELECT. CONNECTOR,ONCE SEALED FLUID CAN NO LONGER FLOW,HOPE THAT HELPS
Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM

c220 cdi 2006
similar transmission issue

hi everyone,,i have a c220 cdi 2006 model. i have same issue with my car. i changed the conductor plate, changed the oil but did not flush it. but still it gets disengaged after rough driving and get engaged once it reaches 45 km speed.
can someone help..

Originally Posted by sgtstanko
You can try to reset the adaptives by pulling the transmission fuse......I assume the NAG1 in the MB is identical to the Chrysler and has a TCM fuse. The only time I experienced the whole "out of gear" thing is when we over eliminated the torque management feature......obviously thats not your problem.

Also disconnecting the battery will typically clear all adaptives......its worth a try.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:04 PM

2003 E55 AMG
I called the stealer and they confirmed that there are no open recalls on my VIN. I ordered the plug thingie and I'll start there first...$11 with shipping. The parts guy confirmed that they have the "contact plate" in stock too...which is a $140 part and requires the pan removed which would require a fluid/filter/gasket change. I'll hold off on this for now...but this is my immediate step #2. They also said that it could be a valve body or solenoids too but those are down the road things to check.

I asked about clutch packs and stuff and he said they rarely if ever have replaced clutch packs in these cars. What do I know...

sorry for reviving an old thread. Just curious how it all worked out for you. Having same problem.