Trap Speeds from the Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by 98aggie
Yes at 140mph you hit and aerodynamic wall in the mile and it takes raw power to move through it.

Brooke - Glad I could help you with all the details of what it takes to run the Texas mile (since I have been doing it since 2004) And you took care of every detail to make that car make and hold the power for that distance. Also thanks for letting me part of the build.

For the guys that have never done an event like this here are some hp guidelines for HP requirements to go certain speeds. (Only thing is doesn't match up to cars that have a small frontal area (Supra, Ford GT, RX7 FD) but for corvettes, and similar it is pretty close.

300 rwhp - 142mph
400 rwhp - 163mph
500 rwhp - 174mph
600 rwhp - 180 mph
700 rwhp - 188 mph
800 rwhp - 190 mph
900 rwhp - 200 mph
1000 -1100 rwhp - 210 mph
(These are just ranges to give you an idea of what it takes)

To give you an idea the guys running 240-250mph are in the 1500-1800 rwhp.

Brooke - I told you you would be at the 180mph bubble with your car.

So if I get the camaro ready for March - you going to be my pit crew when we shoot for 210mph?
So how does the Buggati go 267? Superior AeroDynamics?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W218 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Das Geld
I think he was only referring to their speed within 1 mile. The Bugatti will only hit around 200 within the mile if I remember correctly.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 PM

Chevy Camaro
Originally Posted by Das Geld
What is the title of this thread?????? Yes 1 mile only. No rolling starts either.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Nice runs guys but those hp numbers are way off.bello with his turbo did like 238 with 900whp

Edit 1200whp lol that's crazzy power but I saw a dyno saying it was just over 980whp

Last edited by skratch77; 10-25-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 AM

Chevy Camaro
Originally Posted by skratch77
Nice runs guys but those hp numbers are way off.bello with his turbo did like 238 with 900whp

Edit 1200whp lol that's crazzy power but I saw a dyno saying it was just over 980whp
Eddie top speed in Goliad is 235, 236 in Florida. He was running 222-228 today- I was his pit crew today.

Like I said in my post these numbers don't apply to all cars (small frontal area) Porsche is one of those cars that cuts through the are better than a corvette, Mercedes, camaro, mustang, etc. But it gives you a rough idea of how much power it really takes to go fast in a mile. The trucks out there are making 1200rwhp and only go 193mph.

Last edited by 98aggie; 10-25-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Sounds like you guys had a blast! I've never been into high speed runs but the more I read and talk about it the more I want to do it. I've already accomplished more than I ever hoped for in the 1/4 mile scene, maybe it's time I move into the mile. I'm sure tuning and preparation will be a whole new ball game.

Once again congrats to Brooke and all that participated in this spectacular event. You guys did an outstanding job representing.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Past History aside Brooke...Huge congratz for you & your lady!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Thanks everyone for all the support!! Also thanks to Shardul, Hadi, Scott and Mike K for the Ice, jokes, food and fun!

Last March was the first time in 12 events that they had a strong tail wind, so many of rh cars in the 180 range ran 10mph faster.. These cars were 10-20 mph slower this time.. We had Texas summer weather. Track runs from west to east and a west Tail wind is very rare in that area of the state.. Temps were low to high 80`s on average, hum was 60-90% and wind was gusting up to 30 mph at times (cross /head) direction.. Wind is maybe the single largest killer of MPH in the mile!

The MILE is a blast! I can tell you this CL (I am sure many of your cars too) pull hard up to 180 plus MPH.. There was no wall, it just pulled hard and fast.. This is agreat test of a cars performance and stopping ability!

I drove the car there and back (160 miles) each way. Raced the car on the Nittos, that I drove there on and only added 3 gallons of race gas, ice to intercooler and tape to keep rocks off the paint (improve air flow too).. I had ET streets and they would have helped on low and top end, but saw they had some cracks in them and decided not to chance it.. Running up to 160 is nice but things really start moving from 170 up! Another plus, these cars are smooth and quiet up at those speeds. No air noise or vibration.. Very nice ride!

Just to set the record right, My wife was the first to 180.4 on Saturday and her Record for a day.. Have to commend her bravery and driving skills to hang in that brutal cross wind for the full RIDE! I backed up her time with a 180.5 run Today.. I guess she is the FASTEST AMG/Mercedes woman around now??? This was a first time for either of us to drive this speed and in a mile event..

Wanted to also thank Jerry and Jake (and crew) with eurocharged for thier support and spending so much time road tunning the car for the mile.. Jerry tune performed great and kept the car safe! We had more in it but the goal was a safe 180 mph and all I can say is, pass!

Kurt with LSX dyno tunning , many thanks for the use of your dyno, tools, lifts and help in the staging lanes.. It was great to have your trailor out there, with air, gas, tools and place to keep cars.. Also thanks for the SUV loaner, so we could get back and forth to hotel..

Here are my wifes and my time slips and certificates for the record..

Curious any Meth or just mods listed in sig?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
How quick was that M5?

Looks like the wind took the speed right out of your sails...

180.x into a headwind is movin'..... any idea what headwind was on this run?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM

18 Titan XD 13 Cayenne TT 13 BMW HP4
Was there on the bike but left Saturday due to a loss of power on it. I was about 10mph down from where I should have been given the conditions (this was my 4th event). Met a few folks out there but spent so much time troubleshooting and re-gearing I didn't get much spare time.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by 98aggie
Eddie top speed in Goliad is 235, 236 in Florida. He was running 222-228 today- I was his pit crew today.

Like I said in my post these numbers don't apply to all cars (small frontal area) Porsche is one of those cars that cuts through the are better than a corvette, Mercedes, camaro, mustang, etc. But it gives you a rough idea of how much power it really takes to go fast in a mile. The trucks out there are making 1200rwhp and only go 193mph.
Kurt knows more about the mile and how to prepare/what is needed that anyone. He was simply looking at the cars in the staging area and telling me about what they would run when they did. He was dead on every time. True wealth of information, and cool guy to hang with.

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Sounds like you guys had a blast! I've never been into high speed runs but the more I read and talk about it the more I want to do it. I've already accomplished more than I ever hoped for in the 1/4 mile scene, maybe it's time I move into the mile. I'm sure tuning and preparation will be a whole new ball game.

Once again congrats to Brooke and all that participated in this spectacular event. You guys did an outstanding job representing.

You have to do it, there is nothing like it! Makes the 1/4 look like a joke, lol. There is an amazing amount of work required to make sure the car perfoms, through the wall, without losing power. Tuning is extrememly extensive, but soooo worth it. We are bringing a bunch of cars out in march when the next event is and your more than welcome to join us at the camp! It is a true test of what your car can do. Plus the added bonus of seeing some of the fastest cars in the country all together! If your intersted let me know, as we can share information about what your gonna need to focus on.

Originally Posted by Thericker
Curious any Meth or just mods listed in sig?
no meth, no nos. Just whats in the sig and whats been posted the last couple of weeks. (and lots of ice) There are a ton of pics of the car at the event hood and trunk and windows open.

Originally Posted by stevebez
How quick was that M5?

Looks like the wind took the speed right out of your sails...

180.x into a headwind is movin'..... any idea what headwind was on this run?
the headwinds were crazy, when Brookes wife ran, it was gusting close to 25mph. They were telling the drivers as they were staging that they need to be very careful as toward the end of the track, its no longer a steer straight type of thing and you will have to battle the wind. We are going to get the M5 setup for the next event to try and see if we can touch that record as well!

Originally Posted by the head
Was there on the bike but left Saturday due to a loss of power on it. I was about 10mph down from where I should have been given the conditions (this was my 4th event). Met a few folks out there but spent so much time troubleshooting and re-gearing I didn't get much spare time.
ya, when we broke the record it was awesome under the conditions. The staging lanes were a third what they were in the early morning as a lot of the drivers thought that it wasn't worth it. I will say this though, mad props man. Going out there in the bike takes huge ones!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i have a feeling there are giong to be a lot more AMGs at the next Texas Mile
While walking in the stage area i kept on hearing people say them mercedes' are fast

Last edited by shardul; 10-25-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by shardul
While walking in the stage area i kept on hearing people say them mercedes' are fast
That would be awesome! I know we have been talking and will bring at least 4 amgs and the M5.

Im sure we can get Hadi to do it....just have to tell him its a race
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM

CLS 55 AMG, FX45, F-350, Top Secret Widebody Supra (Sold) and other vehicles on another Planet
I'm down for the March event! I dont intend on running but I'll bring the CLS out and be in full support at the Eurocharged booth (better do one this time!). I've got something up my sleeves and it should be done before then. If i piece it together correctly, it should turn a few heads. LOL. Jerry, Jake, Clint and Shardul know the exact components but Ill say these details........A few more motor mods, a sleek body kit and sexy new wheels.

= )

Last edited by cmusngi; 10-25-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by cmusngi
I'm down for the March event! I dont intend on running but I'll bring the CLS out and support Eurocharged. I've got something up my sleeves and it should be done before then. If i piece it together correctly, it should turn a few heads. LOL. Jerry, Jake, Clint and Shardul know the exact components but Ill say these details........A few more motor mods, a sleek body kit and sexy new wheels.

= )
I can't wait to see that, its gonna be unreal! Very unique idea!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 AM

CLS 55 AMG, FX45, F-350, Top Secret Widebody Supra (Sold) and other vehicles on another Planet
Originally Posted by loungn14
I can't wait to see that, its gonna be unreal! Very unique idea!

You guys better do a booth this time! I plan on taking that Friday off so if you guys do a booth, I'll be more than happy to help set up camp and get a good spot for us.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chris your call will look good with the mods you have planned
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Sean, no meth and I am not even considering it.. I don`t like spraying meth after the boost and I feel a good ice tank will beat meth out over short run`s.. Now, if I was sure our teflon S/C rotors could take the MEth, then spraying before would change my thinking.. Right now, Hadi is our local test mule for that project.. Also waiting on his results..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Thumbs up

Sorry I had to miss this one but I was there in spirit. Well done Brooke and Caren! Glad the car ran so strong with help from the EC boys and others!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Sean, no meth and I am not even considering it.. I don`t like spraying meth after the boost and I feel a good ice tank will beat meth out over short run`s.. Now, if I was sure our teflon S/C rotors could take the MEth, then spraying before would change my thinking.. Right now, Hadi is our local test mule for that project.. Also waiting on his results..
i think if you use the system with ice water just to cool IAT's it should work. With Meth as per jerry the AF get all jacked up, would require a lot of fine tuning. IMO Hadi is toooo lazy to do that LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Congrats to Brooke, Jerry, Jake and Kurt....you guys pulled it off!!

What an incredible showing.

Looking forward to Brooke's 1/4 mile numbers!

Would love to see some data logging files from the mile runs!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by shardul
Plus one! So many people (especially heavy moded C6 Zo6 and new Zr1`s) just shaking thier heads and asking me the car had.. The other suprising thing, was at least 100 plus pictures were taken of my plain old trunk tank.. Not sure what all the interet was about.. I was asked if it was a fuel cell , fuel cooler and the ones that did know what it was, took pictures.. So many cars struggle to get to the 180 mph mark and it is not an easy task..

Last March a friend of mine (top M6 driver) and in cooler weather, tail wind with a 600 plus hp Supercharged viper struggled to just hit 180 mph.. We all know how fast a cammed/bolt on 427 CID C6 Zo6 can be.. Many of those could only run 177-180 mph and a few could break 180 mph..

My last Dyno in June was 561 hp and I have not been worried about the Dyno for the mile.. Kust live road tuning and making sure the car could handle full boost , under incredible loads for almost 30 seconds.. It is all about average HP..

Being a 1/4 mile racer, it is almost impossible for me to leave the line soft.. It is anti-racing to me but that is how we had to leave to get the job done..
We would just roll into first and be WOT around 40 mph.. Yes, you still get some spin but you dont shock the tires.. This is just plain old concrete and no rubber or VHT to help out.. Me and my wife practiced this roll start a lot before embarking on the mile..

We only made four passes and no doubt left a few MPH on the table.. There is more room in the tune (we set for 93 octane), more room in tires/launch, more room in suspension and more room in managing drive-train temp prior to run.. Add in less wind and littel better hum/temp and 183-185 is doable.. For me, unless you can get to the next T-shirt level (190mph), one mile here and there is not all that exciting..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Plus one! So many people (especially heavy moded C6 Zo6 and new Zr1`s) just shaking thier heads and asking me the car had.. The other suprising thing, was at least 100 plus pictures were taken of my plain old trunk tank.. Not sure what all the interet was about.. I was asked if it was a fuel cell , fuel cooler and the ones that did know what it was, took pictures.. So many cars struggle to get to the 180 mph mark and it is not an easy task..

Last March a friend of mine (top M6 driver) and in cooler weather, tail wind with a 600 plus hp Supercharged viper struggled to just hit 180 mph.. We all know how fast a cammed/bolt on 427 CID C6 Zo6 can be.. Many of those could only run 177-180 mph and a few could break 180 mph..

My last Dyno in June was 561 hp and I have not been worried about the Dyno for the mile.. Kust live road tuning and making sure the car could handle full boost , under incredible loads for almost 30 seconds.. It is all about average HP..

Being a 1/4 mile racer, it is almost impossible for me to leave the line soft.. It is anti-racing to me but that is how we had to leave to get the job done..
We would just roll into first and be WOT around 40 mph.. Yes, you still get some spin but you dont shock the tires.. This is just plain old concrete and no rubber or VHT to help out.. Me and my wife practiced this roll start a lot before embarking on the mile..

We only made four passes and no doubt left a few MPH on the table.. There is more room in the tune (we set for 93 octane), more room in tires/launch, more room in suspension and more room in managing drive-train temp prior to run.. Add in less wind and littel better hum/temp and 183-185 is doable.. For me, unless you can get to the next T-shirt level (190mph), one mile here and there is not all that exciting..

Also afew MPH left in rearview mirror removal (SGC's RENNtech CL65 & Hartmuts C63 did this & gained ez 2+ mph)
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
If mirrors can give +2 MPH, I wonder what the Tape does due to its lack of "smoothness". For a run like this, I would think a high polish (with an *** load of wax) would create the best aerodynamic flow possible given the body lines. There must be some friction in the tape. I know the goal going forward for Brooke is 190.. so if we can get 3 out of the mirrors, and maybe 1 with wax (no tape).. all we need is 5 more MPH for the 190 T-Shirt!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

tape is use just at the gaps between the body panels to cover them up so they dont catch air
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Ah... I thought it was only rock chip prevention. I have seen them tape all gaps when doing top speed runs. Well, 180 is FAST.. I think Brooke switched time slips with his wife when she wasn’t looking

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trap Speeds from the Texas Mile