Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trap Speeds from the Texas Mile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
It was a lot of fun, except for the ticket I got driving back to Houston!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Bramage
Ah... I thought it was only rock chip prevention. I have seen them tape all gaps when doing top speed runs. Well, 180 is FAST.. I think Brooke switched time slips with his wife when she wasn’t looking
Most of my tape was for rock chip prevention , as with most cars that use it.. The air strip is prety clean but still a lot of pee gravel on it.. Even bugs and other objects hitting the front of the car at 180 mph can hurt the paint! Tape is also used to help wind drag but also saw some test (both with and without tape) show no MPH gains.. So much air going into the engine bay (like a wall) that it does not seem to matter much.. Ride height and tires seem to be a much better area to focus on..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Thericker
Also afew MPH left in rearview mirror removal (SGC's RENNtech CL65 & Hartmuts C63 did this & gained ez 2+ mph)
great advice! Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Plus one! So many people (especially heavy moded C6 Zo6 and new Zr1`s) just shaking thier heads and asking me the car had.. The other suprising thing, was at least 100 plus pictures were taken of my plain old trunk tank.. Not sure what all the interet was about.. I was asked if it was a fuel cell , fuel cooler and the ones that did know what it was, took pictures.. So many cars struggle to get to the 180 mph mark and it is not an easy task..

Last March a friend of mine (top M6 driver) and in cooler weather, tail wind with a 600 plus hp Supercharged viper struggled to just hit 180 mph.. We all know how fast a cammed/bolt on 427 CID C6 Zo6 can be.. Many of those could only run 177-180 mph and a few could break 180 mph..

My last Dyno in June was 561 hp and I have not been worried about the Dyno for the mile.. Kust live road tuning and making sure the car could handle full boost , under incredible loads for almost 30 seconds.. It is all about average HP..

Being a 1/4 mile racer, it is almost impossible for me to leave the line soft.. It is anti-racing to me but that is how we had to leave to get the job done..
We would just roll into first and be WOT around 40 mph.. Yes, you still get some spin but you dont shock the tires.. This is just plain old concrete and no rubber or VHT to help out.. Me and my wife practiced this roll start a lot before embarking on the mile..

We only made four passes and no doubt left a few MPH on the table.. There is more room in the tune (we set for 93 octane), more room in tires/launch, more room in suspension and more room in managing drive-train temp prior to run.. Add in less wind and littel better hum/temp and 183-185 is doable.. For me, unless you can get to the next T-shirt level (190mph), one mile here and there is not all that exciting..

man, that was funny. Everyone was looking at the tank like it was some strange new invention. We were laughing everytime!

I do think that we would have gotten 183 if it were not for the nasty headwind. Now we have something to shoot for in march!

Now to start working on a race gas tune!

Ah... I thought it was only rock chip prevention. I have seen them tape all gaps when doing top speed runs. Well, 180 is FAST.. I think Brooke switched time slips with his wife when she wasn’t looking
There were a ton of people that were saying that. One of the bikers was like wholly crap that was the mercedes that did 180????

lolol Wait till they see us in full force in march!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Chk out this link from RENNtech

Originally Posted by loungn14
great advice! Thanks for the heads up!

man, that was funny. Everyone was looking at the tank like it was some strange new invention. We were laughing everytime!

I do think that we would have gotten 183 if it were not for the nasty headwind. Now we have something to shoot for in march!

Now to start working on a race gas tune!

There were a ton of people that were saying that. One of the bikers was like wholly crap that was the mercedes that did 180????

lolol Wait till they see us in full force in march!
http://news.renntechmercedes.com/

Clearly shows SGC's CL65 w/rearviews completely removed (they claimed they had 15mph head wind, & achieved 191mph w/STOCK IC's / STOCK Turbos etc)

For some reason the Hartmut C63 info is deleted now, w/Knightrider style rims & Brabus style wheel well covers & mirror delete achieved further 5-6 mph Trap in Mile..

Last edited by Thericker; 10-25-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
What did the ZR-1 trap?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Thericker
http://news.renntechmercedes.com/

Clearly shows SGC's CL65 w/rearviews completely removed (they claimed they had 15mph head wind, & achieved 191mph w/STOCK IC's / STOCK Turbos etc)

For some reason the Hartmut C63 info is deleted now, w/Knightrider style rims & Brabus style wheel well covers & mirror delete achieved further 5-6 mph Trap in Mile..

That is interesting info, thanks.. This mile stuff gets addicting fast! Just to see and talk with so many car enthusiast from all over is SICK! It can be three days of racing for the racers and three days of parties for the lookers! I expect to see some 2000 hp street cars by next march!

I saw a few mustangs with mirrors off but the big speed cars left them on and also did not tape in frontal area.. I have auto folding mirrors and wanted to leave the car in tack.. Ice, tape protection and about 30% race gass , was all I did this go around.. Drove there and did those three mods.

Oh yeah, I did loose my oil pan belly pan on the first run.. check all bolts on under pans the day before but front of pan did come off and catch air .. Second, check the wheel TQ after each run, as my rear bolts were out of TQ after two runs.. Fronts were good.

Jake, 180 XX is done , so thinking 190 now.. Have to move up to next shirt to have fun!

Akebono`s were worth the money !! They STOP!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W218 CLS63 PP
That would be awesome! I know we have been talking and will bring at least 4 amgs and the M5.

Im sure we can get Hadi to do it....just have to tell him its a race
I spoke with Jerry today. I will be bringing the S55 and McLaren SLR in March. Currently working with Jerry on the next round of mods so I can hold the title for fastest S55 and SLR in the mile.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
SPONSOR

That is interesting info, thanks.. This mile stuff gets addicting fast! Just to see and talk with so many car enthusiast from all over is SICK! It can be three days of racing for the racers and three days of parties for the lookers! I expect to see some 2000 hp street cars by next march!

I saw a few mustangs with mirrors off but the big speed cars left them on and also did not tape in frontal area.. I have auto folding mirrors and wanted to leave the car in tack.. Ice, tape protection and about 30% race gass , was all I did this go around.. Drove there and did those three mods.

Oh yeah, I did loose my oil pan belly pan on the first run.. check all bolts on under pans the day before but front of pan did come off and catch air .. Second, check the wheel TQ after each run, as my rear bolts were out of TQ after two runs.. Fronts were good.

Jake, 180 XX is done , so thinking 190 now.. Have to move up to next shirt to have fun!

Akebono`s were worth the money !! They STOP!
Love your thinking, and thats a heck of a goal! But then again, we are right there with you to help accomplish that.

Replacing the pads and rotors now?

Originally Posted by RAC3ME
I spoke with Jerry today. I will be bringing the S55 and McLaren SLR in March. Currently working with Jerry on the next round of mods so I can hold the title for fastest S55 and SLR in the mile.
Awesome! So we can have the fastest CL55, S55 ,SLR ,and E55

I am going to trailer in my car most likely for the next event....
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Did you notice, not one comment on the 'ol slight of hand trick with his wifes time slip. - "Honey, look over there"..
"What?"
"Never mind, it's gone, oh- here is your time slip, lets go get our certificates"

Great job!!.. you've set the bar high for the next group of diers!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
SPONSOR

Did you notice, not one comment on the 'ol slight of hand trick with his wifes time slip. - "Honey, look over there"..
"What?"
"Never mind, it's gone, oh- here is your time slip, lets go get our certificates"

Great job!!.. you've set the bar high for the next group of diers!!
lol, funny thing tho...

When she got it I got the crew all 180mph shirts. I told brooke he couldn't have his until he broke her record. .. lol And he did by .1
Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM
SPONSOR

Oh and here is the other cool fact I learned from the masters of mile...

at around 200mph, you have approximately 8 seconds to stop before the end of the runway.....

Not a lot of time, better have really good brakes!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Most of my tape was for rock chip prevention , as with most cars that use it.. The air strip is prety clean but still a lot of pee gravel on it.. Even bugs and other objects hitting the front of the car at 180 mph can hurt the paint! Tape is also used to help wind drag but also saw some test (both with and without tape) show no MPH gains.. So much air going into the engine bay (like a wall) that it does not seem to matter much.. Ride height and tires seem to be a much better area to focus on..
I really like this product, Not sure how it would do up to 180 but I know its good to 125
http://www.buyroadwrap.com/
I use it at the track and go's on easy and comes off clean, Give a nicer look than painters tape.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I really like this product, Not sure how it would do up to 180 but I know its good to 125
I use it at the track and go's on easy and comes off clean, Give a nicer look than painters tape.
awesome! great advice, definately gonna order that!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I saw some of the cars using what looked like that product but it looked like saren wrap... Did not go on tight and smooth.. I have thought about just having a front end wrap made for the mile.. I kind of liked the painters tape, gave that grunge look..

"What?"

My wife is really competitive, as you can tell. Not many wifes would go to this event , much less run 180.4 and NEVER let off. Even in a brutal side wind. She was already mad , after seeing what appeared to be credit going to me for her driving Sarurday..lol Not sure how I beat her time but I had a tad less wind and we both had clean starts.. She still warmed the tires a little better than me though.. She punked me on Saturday but it was a team effort and she hit the goal first.. The car is damn consistent.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Bicycle
I saw some of the cars using what looked like that product but it looked like saren wrap... Did not go on tight and smooth.. I have thought about just having a front end wrap made for the mile.. I kind of liked the painters tape, gave that grunge look..
Thats cool, for those considering it, It comes out as smooth as your willing to spend making it that way. If you half *** it, it looks that way.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM

E55 AMG
Congratulations Exotic, do you know how quick you ran the mile?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
SPONSOR

lambo crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NU6xjTSY
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Lopes80
Congratulations Exotic, do you know how quick you ran the mile?
Sorry, but do not know that.. The Texas mile is about MPH and not time..I was racing for speed and not ET, exact opposite of 1/4 mile racing.. I just rolled off the line and eased into it , until about 40 mph.. Doing that waste a lot of time but helps keep traction for best MPH..

sneakyneon Quote:
Thats cool, for those considering it, It comes out as smooth as your willing to spend making it that way. If you half *** it, it looks that way.
Yesterday 09:37 PM
That makes sense.. First car I saw it on was Soulsearchers SL600 last March but this time the saren wrap looking stuff was on a few more cars. The year before, Soulsearchers car got chipped up real bad, either on the track or being trailored in from Florida.

Another reason for some kind of tape, is to keep parts from blowing off your car.. I kept hearing of Mercedes having thier pillar covers blow off. Mine stayed on but I put tape over them on the next run.. To me putting a little tape on a few seams just keeps stress off of parts that may blow off and hurt your car or degrade the track in some form.. My oil pan cover came loose on the forward side and that means two screws fell off somwhere, either on the track or on the way to the mile..

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 10-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned

Eurocharged CLS55 AMG
Congrats Exotic-metal55 and Eurocharged well deserved, and expected.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM

2004 E55

I am going to trailer in my car most likely for the next event....

Don't run your E55 in March. I'll be running mine. Its gonna be hard to set the record with me out there. I have a good tuner under my belt!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM

CLS 55 AMG, FX45, F-350, Top Secret Widebody Supra (Sold) and other vehicles on another Planet
Originally Posted by HadiLaw
Don't run your E55 in March. I'll be running mine. Its gonna be hard to set the record with me out there. I have a good tuner under my belt!
Speak of the devil! I just texted Shardul 30 seconds ago saying you need to run in March. Nice to meet you man. The caravan was awesome. Damn your car is fast!

-Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by HadiLaw
LOL,,

You guys don`t forget to register. When they open registration (like at midnight) , it fills up within hours and then is locked! Easy to say that you will race but getting in is almost as hard as getting the TIME.. Hadi has a good chance, as he will most likely be at a club drinking Stoli when the registration opens.. J/K

Only 5 months until the next event and MArch is the month for records! Better start getting car ready now, as it took me about that long to get all my details taken care of.. Then again parts are hard to come by on the CL..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM

W218 CLS63 PP
Anyone know when Reg opens for the next one? It's usually about two months prior to the event right?

Also Brooke, I'm going to need to pick your brain about a few things... I'll shoot you a PM bud.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by RAC3ME
Anyone know when Reg opens for the next one? It's usually about two months prior to the event right?

Also Brooke, I'm going to need to pick your brain about a few things... I'll shoot you a PM bud.
Look on the Tmile site for registration and fan them on facebook for up to date info..

PM me anytime and I will be happy to help you with anything you need to set Records!!!

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trap Speeds from the Texas Mile