Sponsored by:

Potential Buyers Beware: A Warning from a Recent W211 E55 Buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by cal1

My personal experience with my SL55 is there are days when I say "my god, what a mistake to have purchased this POS." Then most days I say "god I love this car, I wonder if there is an errand I forgot to run, HONEY, do you need bread or something, I will run to the store and get it."
Isnt that the sign of a great car....you love it in spite of the fact its occasionally a pain in the ***?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
you have to pay the cost to be the boss.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by lawguy
One man's exotic is another man's grocery getter.

I feel pretty exotic driving a $50k car, even if now 3 years old. If its faster than 99.5% of the cars on the road, its pretty darn exotic to me.
Fixed it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Funny you buy a 7 year old car with 66K miles, and blame Mercedes cause it is old and worn out.
Sell it ASAP cause it will only get more expensive, you are in over your head, spending way too much of your income on transportation. Worst part is that it sounds like you are dependent on a dealer for service.
Sad but true
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Isnt that the sign of a great car....you love it in spite of the fact its occasionally a pain in the ***?
YES, emphatically yes... either that or I am insane and in good company on this forum.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
...I bought an '01 740i which I stumbled across online. Very low mileage, well maintained and inspected, etc. A really gorgeous car, so I bought it and flew to Miami to get it. However, the check engine light literally came on halfway into the 18 hour drive home, which was an omen. I owned the car for 8 months, it was towed 2x and jump started by AAA in the morning 2 other times. I spent nearly $6k on repairs, before I finally decided to part company...

(snip)

These things just happen when you want fine cars. Hondas run forever, but they sure arent much fun. Just chalk it up to bad luck and find something else fun to drive...and head back for the exotics when you can more easily afford it.
I feel your pain. I also had that same body style 740iL and had a similar experience. Purchased from the original family that bought the car new, all records and services done at the local BMW dealer, including yearly details that they were mugged on price for, so it was essentially an open checkbook of keeping the car perfect. I bought the car on a Sunday, and it was literally getting towed to the shop Monday (less than 24 hours into ownership). The bill for repairs was in the neighborhood of $1,700 - $1,800. Lucky for me the original owners were great people when I called them and told them what happened they said they would either pay for the repairs themselves, or give me a 100% refund and take the car back. I chose to let them pay for the repair...in retrospect I should have taken it as a sign and taken the 100% refund option.

A few months later I had only put about 3,000 miles on the car, and had spent over $3,000 in repairs. At over $1 a mile to own, I grew frustrated with the prospect of being underwater on the car VERY soon, and sold it.

As far as Hondas are concerned, I agree that they are not BMWs or Mercedes, but they can be fun. I love my NSX, and it is super reasonable to maintain, and so was my S2000. They are just different cars. But you can buy one and have a good time (and not lose your shirt owning it).
Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
These things just happen when you want fine cars. Hondas run forever, but they sure arent much fun. Just chalk it up to bad luck and find something else fun to drive...and head back for the exotics when you can more easily afford it.
Nuff said!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1

As far as Hondas are concerned, I agree that they are not BMWs or Mercedes, but they can be fun. I love my NSX, and it is super reasonable to maintain, and so was my S2000. They are just different cars. But you can buy one and have a good time (and not lose your shirt owning it).
You're absolutely right. I had an '87 Acura Legend with a 6 speed manual. It was a great car. And the s2000 is marvelous too (and I have always wanted an NSX).

I was generalizing too much....and referring more to Accords than Honda engines in general.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the OP's initial post from this thread. Apparently the car is under warranty (Interstate National Dealer Services.) And two of the items listed were apparently denied coverage. The total for those items is $1k. So the OP was out $1K (not sure why they weren't covered, but that's another issue; although in his for sale ad (see below) he praises the warranty company.)

But in the post he said all his money from income after his own personal expenses went into repairing the car. He said, "I've racked up $4,870 in repair costs." Where's that other $3,870 and what was it for? (plus in the same post he said he didn't do one of the repairs which was $400, so it was really only $600 of his own money.)

He also said, "I started my job shortly after purchasing this car. It pays well, but not enough to support the outlandish repair costs on this car. The majority of my after-rent, after-tax earnings to date have gone to simply keeping this car on the road."

And later he said, "never though did I think within 7 months of ownership I'd have to put up an additional 24% of the purchase price of the car just to keep it on the road." And, "last week I traded in the car; I simply had to cut my losses." Yet he has a warranty that paid for everything except $1k's worth (or $600 if he still hadn't done that other $400 repair.)

He did say that the fuel senders were leaking (again) and that MBUSA said no to another attempt (several owners have had success in another replacement by being persistent.) And that would cost him $2k out-of-pocket. But why is that not covered under the extended warranty? Apparently other owners with extended warranties are getting the fuel sender issue covered. I'm not sure why the OP feels it's not under warranty if the car itself is still under warranty.

Nonetheless, I think the OP just wanted out of the car. And the fuel sending units leaking was scaring him. Fair enough. If one doesn't feel comfortable with anything (car ownership or whatever) then they should just move on with life.

In the end I think it was just a vocalizing from somebody who got cold feet and embellished the part about actual expenses. Again, it's totally understandable. But it's worded to sound more like the car is garbage and not as much about the fears that come with buying a used 70k mile expensive-to-repair car. Which is really what the issue is here.

The ad the OP placed kind of suggests a bit of a different story especially about the warranty coverage. (I edited out his personal contact info and the car's options, etc..)

Unfortunately I have to part with my 2003 E55 as I’m moving out of town and downsizing. The car is beautiful and is in excellent condition both inside and out. It’s completely stock, black with black interior, and has 73,000 miles.

If you’re on this site you know what an amazing, powerful car this is. But you also likely know about how costly it can be to repair. That’s why the best part about this car is it comes with a very comprehensive extended warranty (example coverage document attached here, includes everything up to and including Classic Tech+), valid through July 2013 or 96,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty is through Interstate National Dealer Services; I’ve already used them and they’re completely hassle-free, with very speedy approval and payment. It’s nearly impossible to get an extended warranty on any AMG car, especially as it gets above 50k miles, so I doubt you’ll find another car that offers this peace of mind.

All service I’ve performed has been at an authorized Mercedes dealer and I have all records. I’d be happy to answer questions related to what’s been done on the car. If you know these cars you know certain parts are known to fail, and almost all those parts have already been replaced recently and with genuine Mercedes updated parts, so I’ve done all the hard work for you!

Price is $22,995 or best offer. I’m located in Maryland, close to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. I have more pictures (hi –res) and would be happy to answer any and all questions.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Seriously,,,,just another winey kid that couldnt really afford the car but got in to one because it was a cheap one. I assume these worthless crybaby threads will continue to pop up as these cars get cheaper.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow
Originally Posted by emoving
Seriously,,,,just another winey kid that couldnt really afford the car but got in to one because it was a cheap one. I assume these worthless crybaby threads will continue to pop up as these cars get cheaper.
Unfortunately your correct, AMGs are cool and make tons of power but when the repair bill comes so do the tears. Some people don't get it
Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E550
You know it comes down to the fact that some guys are OK with speding thousands of dollars fixing a car that they truly love and some guys are not. (me being the latter). Some people just have deeper pockets than others.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by wazv6
You know it comes down to the fact that some guys are OK with speding thousands of dollars fixing a car that they truly love and some guys are not. (me being the latter). Some people just have deeper pockets than others.
I qualify myself as a spender, but I take great pride in all the machinery I own.

My cars look good, last a long time and run very well for their entire life.

When someone buys one of my used cars, they are getting a car that was well cared for and the new owner can have confidence they are buying a well maintained car. If there is such a thing as karma, I believe it is one of the reasons why I have had such good luck with the cars I have purchased through the years.

Lastly, I would rather spend a few extra dollars on proactive maintence than experience the inconveniences of having to do reactive repairs.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wazv6
That's not the point. Read my post above. This isn't about deep or shallow pockets. The guy had a warranty that paid for pretty much everything. He just realized he got into a car that didn't fit with his lifestyle or priorities or expectations. It's about getting cold feet.

So just get out of the car and don't claim otherwise. It happens to people all the time. People buy cheap 996s and then end up with RMS and IMS issues and tell the world that all Porsches are money pits. Same with buying a used Maser, Lambo, or Aston, etc.. Talk about repair expense

Again from the OP: "If you’re on this site you know what an amazing, powerful car this is. But you also likely know about how costly it can be to repair. That’s why the best part about this car is it comes with a very comprehensive extended warranty (example coverage document attached here, includes everything up to and including Classic Tech+), valid through July 2013 or 96,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty is through Interstate National Dealer Services; I’ve already used them and they’re completely hassle-free, with very speedy approval and payment. It’s nearly impossible to get an extended warranty on any AMG car, especially as it gets above 50k miles, so I doubt you’ll find another car that offers this peace of mind."

Last edited by 220S; 02-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
Originally Posted by 220S
That's not the point. Read my post above. This isn't about deep or shallow pockets. The guy had a warranty that paid for pretty much everything. He just realized he got into a car that didn't fit with his lifestyle or priorities or expectations. It's about getting cold feet.

So just get out of the car and don't claim otherwise. It happens to people all the time. People buy cheap 996s and then end up with RMS and IMS issues and tell the world that all Porsches are money pits. Same with buying a used Maser, Lambo, or Aston, etc.. Talk about repair expense

Again from the OP: "If you’re on this site you know what an amazing, powerful car this is. But you also likely know about how costly it can be to repair. That’s why the best part about this car is it comes with a very comprehensive extended warranty (example coverage document attached here, includes everything up to and including Classic Tech+), valid through July 2013 or 96,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty is through Interstate National Dealer Services; I’ve already used them and they’re completely hassle-free, with very speedy approval and payment. It’s nearly impossible to get an extended warranty on any AMG car, especially as it gets above 50k miles, so I doubt you’ll find another car that offers this peace of mind."

What i don't under stand is,the OP has clearly said in his previous post that there is nothing wrong with AMG's but the one he had,didn't come upto his expectations.

What does cold feet has to do with him selling the car regardless of whether the car had warranty or not. To me it seems like the headaches of owning the car would have far out weighed the pleasure of driving the car,so he sold it so what's wrong with that any way.

Originally Posted by Calvin2376
I just wanted to give an update to my original post.

I understand that when you buy such a high-market car you are opening yourself up to expensive upkeep. I had done my research and budgeted for the maintenance and some repairs. Never though did I think within 7 months of ownership I'd have to put up an additional 24% of the purchase price of the car just to keep it on the road.

Last week I traded in the car; I simply had to cut my losses. The worst part is that I never got to enjoy the car. I thought when I bought it that every morning when I woke up I'd look forward to driving it to work. Instead, I literally feared starting up the car, wondering what new malfunction message would appear.

Both my original post and this follow-up were meant to share only my experience with only my E55. I of course can't and don't pretend to be able to speak for all E55s or their owners. Of course there are plenty out there who love their cars and whose cars have been headache-free.

As I stated in my original post and repeat now, I do not intend to dissuade potential buyers of E55s. Nor by any means do I intend to bad-mouth the Mercedes brand.
I simply put this forward as my experience, to expand the information available and to contribute to discussion.

I personally would sell mine in a heart beat but the problem is,there's nothing out there that would beat this **** in looks or the performance and for that i am willing to ride the bumps on the way too.

It's his life so stop dictating what he should've and shouldn't have done

Lets move on with other topics.

Last edited by Faast; 02-05-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the OP's initial post from this thread. Apparently the car is under warranty (Interstate National Dealer Services.) And two of the items listed were apparently denied coverage. The total for those items is $1k. So the OP was out $1K (not sure why they weren't covered, but that's another issue; although in his for sale ad (see below) he praises the warranty company.)

But in the post he said all his money from income after his own personal expenses went into repairing the car. He said, "I've racked up $4,870 in repair costs." Where's that other $3,870 and what was it for? (plus in the same post he said he didn't do one of the repairs which was $400, so it was really only $600 of his own money.)

He also said, "I started my job shortly after purchasing this car. It pays well, but not enough to support the outlandish repair costs on this car. The majority of my after-rent, after-tax earnings to date have gone to simply keeping this car on the road."

And later he said, "never though did I think within 7 months of ownership I'd have to put up an additional 24% of the purchase price of the car just to keep it on the road." And, "last week I traded in the car; I simply had to cut my losses." Yet he has a warranty that paid for everything except $1k's worth (or $600 if he still hadn't done that other $400 repair.)

He did say that the fuel senders were leaking (again) and that MBUSA said no to another attempt (several owners have had success in another replacement by being persistent.) And that would cost him $2k out-of-pocket. But why is that not covered under the extended warranty? Apparently other owners with extended warranties are getting the fuel sender issue covered. I'm not sure why the OP feels it's not under warranty if the car itself is still under warranty.

Nonetheless, I think the OP just wanted out of the car. And the fuel sending units leaking was scaring him. Fair enough. If one doesn't feel comfortable with anything (car ownership or whatever) then they should just move on with life.

In the end I think it was just a vocalizing from somebody who got cold feet and embellished the part about actual expenses. Again, it's totally understandable. But it's worded to sound more like the car is garbage and not as much about the fears that come with buying a used 70k mile expensive-to-repair car. Which is really what the issue is here.

The ad the OP placed kind of suggests a bit of a different story especially about the warranty coverage. (I edited out his personal contact info and the car's options, etc..)

Unfortunately I have to part with my 2003 E55 as I’m moving out of town and downsizing. The car is beautiful and is in excellent condition both inside and out. It’s completely stock, black with black interior, and has 73,000 miles.

If you’re on this site you know what an amazing, powerful car this is. But you also likely know about how costly it can be to repair. That’s why the best part about this car is it comes with a very comprehensive extended warranty (example coverage document attached here, includes everything up to and including Classic Tech+), valid through July 2013 or 96,000 miles, whichever comes first. The warranty is through Interstate National Dealer Services; I’ve already used them and they’re completely hassle-free, with very speedy approval and payment. It’s nearly impossible to get an extended warranty on any AMG car, especially as it gets above 50k miles, so I doubt you’ll find another car that offers this peace of mind.

All service I’ve performed has been at an authorized Mercedes dealer and I have all records. I’d be happy to answer questions related to what’s been done on the car. If you know these cars you know certain parts are known to fail, and almost all those parts have already been replaced recently and with genuine Mercedes updated parts, so I’ve done all the hard work for you!

Price is $22,995 or best offer. I’m located in Maryland, close to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. I have more pictures (hi –res) and would be happy to answer any and all questions.
I don't get the "for sale" ad - is there a link for that?

The OP claimed (in this thread, with his recent posts) that he traded-in the car, and even posted a link to some Lexus dealer in case anyone wished to pursue the vehicle. Did the "for sale" ad occur sometime in between the first post, and the update?
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Faast
What i don't under stand is,the OP has clearly said in his previous post that there is nothing wrong with AMG's but the one he had,didn't come upto his expectations.

What does cold feet has to do with him selling the car regardless of whether the car had warranty or not. To me it seems like the headaches of owning the car would have far out weighed the pleasure of driving the car,so he sold it so what's wrong with that any way.

It's his life so stop dictating what he should've and shouldn't have done

Lets move on with other topics.
Well, if you had carefully read my previous post you'd have seen that I said "it's all understandable." But he emphasized that he spent a lot of money fixing the car which is apparently not true and misleading. I have no issues with somebody feeling that if a car doesn't work out, then the proper thing to do is to bail on it. Nobody wants something they don't truly like. I even said that very clearly. And I never said he claimed all AMGs were bad but only that his car was 'garbage.' And my post was about how I didn't understand all this repair cost coming out of his pocket when the warranty clearly paid for it.

You need to read slowly and carefully next time.
https://mbworld.org/forums/4501171-post59.html

But in the end everything was repaired and he said in his own for sale ad, "if you know these cars you know certain parts are known to fail, and almost all those parts have already been replaced recently and with genuine Mercedes updated parts, so I’ve done all the hard work for you!" So, yeah he got cold feet. That is if he believed the car he was trying to get out of was okay for another person to buy.

The whole thing just sounded a bit disingenuous to me, and that's my point. If the car didn't work out, then fine. Just move on (which I also said in my post.)

But then he attached this to the end of the post. And so I responded

"I started my job shortly after purchasing this car. It pays well, but not enough to support the outlandish repair costs on this car. The majority of my after-rent, after-tax earnings to date have gone to simply keeping this car on the road. Between that, and the fact that Mercedes will not assist me in any way in taking care of this dual fuel sender failure that was previously the subject of a recall and was clearly not fixed correctly, I will likely be selling this car soon.

I have owned Lexuses and BMWs, and both companies have been far more respectful with its customers. I will never again purchase a Mercedes-Benz product.
Brad
Feel free to post or PM in response."

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I don't get the "for sale" ad - is there a link for that?

The OP claimed (in this thread, with his recent posts) that he traded-in the car, and even posted a link to some Lexus dealer in case anyone wished to pursue the vehicle. Did the "for sale" ad occur sometime in between the first post, and the update?
He posted an ad on the MBCA forum: http://www.mbca.org/forum/2011-01-09...tions-exc-cond
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 AM

He posted an ad on the MBCA forum: http://www.mbca.org/forum/2011-01-09...tions-exc-cond
Tsk tsk tsk. Not cool.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
****..... I bought mine with 120k on the clock. One Owner. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH MY BEAST. before I made my purchase, I made sure I knew what I was getting into. I know all the problems. I got the entire service history of the car. I called a buddy at Mercedes and gave him the VIN. All warranty work DONE. ALL recalls DONE. Front Struts and relays changed. Rear Diff Resealed. All work was done by Penske Mercedes in West Covena Cali. The only thing I hate .... is its a GAS GUZZLER. Other than that very happy. I changed all mounts and brakes myself. As I was changing brakes I realized the lower ball joints were bad. Lets see I paid $120.00 for both genuine Mercedes parts, and had a Mercedes Tech who works on the side install them for $170.00. My supercharger pulley bearing went. Covered under the after market waranty I purchased. To my suprise a couple days ago while I was digging thru the owners manual pouch, i found the window sticker. 88k with pano, keyless go, dynamic seats, all shades, navi, in dash cd changer. I could not be happier. I also was talking to the owner's assistant 3 months before I bought the beast.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
[quote=EdoubleNickel;4502906. I also was talking to the owner's assistant 3 months before I bought the beast.[/quote]

Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
The only thing I hate .... is its a GAS GUZZLER. Other than that very happy.
If you hate that it's a gas guzzler today, wait until this summer.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Just a guess here - I think the OP looked at the total maintenance/repair costs paid both by the warranty and out-of-pocket and assumed he would have to fork out at that rate once the warranty expired. It spooked him, so he got rid of the car. Probably figured it would be easier to sell while it still had the 3rd party warranty in force.

While I can understand that, it seems he ended up in one with a bit of deferred maintenance, and the steep costs were incurred bringing the car up to spec. I'd bet it would be as reliable as any other E55 once everything was addressed.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM

SOLD 04 E55 Now 93 w124 3.2 sold W210 E55 sold waiting on W211 E63 p030
If you hate that it's a gas guzzler today, wait until this summer.
I know.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by emoving
post less.
you have nothing of interest to say.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
This is really unfortunate. Buying these cars without an all-encompassing warranty is certainly a risk and it's a real shame for you that you got a problem car. Hopefully you return to the brand or a get a car that meets your wants and needs sooner rather than later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential Buyers Beware: A Warning from a Recent W211 E55 Buyer