W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First negative review in of new TT V8 AMG.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
First negative review in of new TT V8 AMG.

Okay, first off, let me say that I just hate Fifth Gear with a passion. At least Top Gear TRIES to keep things a bit even with drivers etc (stig driving all of them) , Fifth Gear just throws it out the window with different drivers in each car etc.

THAT BEING SAID, couple things stand out in this vid. The Porsche Panamera beats the CL63 from a standing start by a few mph. Not right for a car with nearly 71 more HP and a mountain of torque. Let's chaulk that up to the rain and lack of traction.

Then on the handling course the driver really REALLY dislikes the AMG. Just says it feels dead and is very frustrated with it.

Gotta make AMG a tick nervous as they have worked so hard on handling past few years.

Rest is all crap in typical Fifth Gear fashion.

First negative review of the new twin turbs handling. Bummer.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Porsc...AMG-Video.html

Vid is down in the middle.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I don't think it's just a 5th Gear thing. It seems most reviewers seem to feel the same way when comparing to the Mercs.

e.g., here's from C&D:

"I’d have preferred an S-class’s comfort, but the Panamera feels lighter and more agile—it dives into corners and feels smaller than most luxosedans."

Edmund's Inside Line compared it to the S65:

"Slalom: Very Porsche-like here. Quick, immediate response. Very little yaw delay. Goes where it's pointed with little protest and with more confidence than any other four-door in the world. Skid pad: Won't transition to oversteer by simply opening throttle. Drop throttle, however, rotates Panamera effectively, allowing for precise line adjustments at the limit. Very nice."

But they were "surprised" that the 'big Benz' handled pretty decently.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
These "tests" they put the cars thru are for entertainment value only - they serve no real world purpose at all and should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. Especially when you consider one is a 4 door all wheel drive and the other is a heavy RWD luxury cruiser. To compare them on the track and in the rain is simply ridiculous and of no value whatsoever.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
Originally Posted by LZH
Especially when you consider one is a 4 door all wheel drive and the other is a heavy RWD luxury cruiser. To compare them on the track and in the rain is simply ridiculous and of no value whatsoever.
ditto
Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by LZH
These "tests" they put the cars thru are for entertainment value only - they serve no real world purpose at all and should be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. Especially when you consider one is a 4 door all wheel drive and the other is a heavy RWD luxury cruiser. To compare them on the track and in the rain is simply ridiculous and of no value whatsoever.
Agreed. Plenty of Panamera experience with Switzer and Porsche North Olmsted and, while the car is significantly "sportier" than the CLs, I don't agree that it is such a world ahead of the CL.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Yup - and I'd much rather drive that beautiful CL or S class than a confused looking wagon that looks like a hatchback.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by LZH
Yup - and I'd much rather drive that beautiful CL or S class than a confused looking wagon that looks like a hatchback.
+1.... and that is one of the best descriptions of that car to date
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Panamera is hot...and I test drove the E63 at the performance day. The seats were disappointing. Slip and sliding all day, body roll, felt sluggish. It was my least favorite driver out of the 3 - C, SL, E.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 E63 Wagon
I watched that episode, to me the biggest difference is indeed the drivers:
in the Porsche: Karun Chandhok: Current F1 driver (he was 4 wheels drifting the Panamera; easy)
in the Merc: Johnny Herbert: his last F1 race was more than 10 years ago and the last he drove was a Honda Civic in BTCC, hell his F1 back in the days might had less torque than the CL with the performance package.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Okay, first off, let me say that I just hate Fifth Gear with a passion. At least Top Gear TRIES to keep things a bit even with drivers etc (stig driving all of them) , Fifth Gear just throws it out the window with different drivers in each car etc.

THAT BEING SAID, couple things stand out in this vid. The Porsche Panamera beats the CL63 from a standing start by a few mph. Not right for a car with nearly 71 more HP and a mountain of torque. Let's chaulk that up to the rain and lack of traction.

Then on the handling course the driver really REALLY dislikes the AMG. Just says it feels dead and is very frustrated with it.

Gotta make AMG a tick nervous as they have worked so hard on handling past few years.

Rest is all crap in typical Fifth Gear fashion.

First negative review of the new twin turbs handling. Bummer.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Porsc...AMG-Video.html

Vid is down in the middle.
new CLS63 -5.5TT is the real competition to the P -Panamera TT.

Until then.. S and CL are just GT's with looks and fast. Not a real threat in the handling department.

W212 with the 5.5TT should be just as good as the CLS as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
The CL65 FTW!!! That interior is so sexy mmmmmmmm