Venting crankcase on M113 kompressor engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Venting crankcase on M113 kompressor engine

Guys any help/advice would be appreciated,

I want to fit my closed breather catch tank that I've had sitting in the garage for months, but I don't really want to bother checking it every month to see if it needs emptying, so I will run a pipe to the drain plug and tie it under one of the front wheel arches.

Also wouldn't venting to atmosphere be completely unrestricted and therefore iliminate some crankcase preasure, which is good for oil blowbly in the bores etc. I dont care about performance just realiabilty.

Some of the previous posts mentioned that venting to atmosphere is not a good idea due to positive vent preasure needed going back into the throttle or the negative preasure needed to suck back out through the rocker breathers?

Is anyone running an open vent system?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i had a catch can and trust me you will have to empty it out maybe once a year, about 20 to 30cc will come out. Right now i am venting into the atmosphere, until i get another catch can.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Once a year....20-30cc
Hardly seems worth it?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Once a year....20-30cc
Hardly seems worth it?
yeah i dont know, i got my VRP catch can for next to nothing so i figured why not install it
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 AM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
i had a catch can and trust me you will have to empty it out maybe once a year, about 20 to 30cc will come out. Right now i am venting into the atmosphere, until i get another catch can.
thanks shardul,

why dont you continue open venting? As far as I am concerned its just laws which dont allow road vehicles to vent to atmosphere. I did this to all my turbo aspirated cars in the past, which seemed to help combustion and possibly blowing oil seals like the rocker cover gaskets.

cheers
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I will probably leave it as it.
Does anybody want to buy my VRP Catch Can?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Keep in mind you will need to catch cans unless you put it in between the TB and the T to the VC. Also on the pass side the hole is tiny even though the hose is the same size. If your catch can is on this side your not going to collect very much.

I run two home made catch can made out of mini water traps for an air compressor from that it goes into the exhaust which creates a negative pull through out the RPM range. This help with ring seal and oil control. It might not seem like alot of oil but when you pull the SC of and look at all the oil in the IC you will rethink the value of a Catch can.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 PM

E55K AMG
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
Keep in mind you will need to catch cans unless you put it in between the TB and the T to the VC. Also on the pass side the hole is tiny even though the hose is the same size. If your catch can is on this side your not going to collect very much.

I run two home made catch can made out of mini water traps for an air compressor from that it goes into the exhaust which creates a negative pull through out the RPM range. This help with ring seal and oil control. It might not seem like alot of oil but when you pull the SC of and look at all the oil in the IC you will rethink the value of a Catch can.
thanks for the info, oil in the intake system is not good and thats why I want to vent the system or catch the oil......... whats the reason to keep the negative preasure? whats bad about venting to atmosphere?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
thanks for the info, oil in the intake system is not good and thats why I want to vent the system or catch the oil......... whats the reason to keep the negative pressure? whats bad about venting to atmosphere?
The bad thing is that the engine can build up more pressure than can be vented and it *may* cause oil leaks. The benefits to creating a negative pressure is better ring seal which can make power and keep oil out of the intake charge(oil lower octane of fuel)
Old 11-12-2010, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI

Where did you locate the catch cans?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by AgSilver
Where did you locate the catch cans?
behind the valve covers
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon

Can you post a pic of your catch cans?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 AM

E55K AMG
The bad thing is that the engine can build up more pressure than can be vented and it *may* cause oil leaks. The benefits to creating a negative pressure is better ring seal which can make power and keep oil out of the intake charge(oil lower octane of fuel)

ok thanks, its safer to keep the system closed so as not to build up more positive preassure which cant be removed by the negative vacuum from the throttle.........

cheers