Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
Shopping for a pulley and tune, LOS ANGELES AREA

Gents,

I'm looking to get into a pulley and tune (Stage 1 I guess?). I live in LA and will travel 50 miles if necessary. You guys that have real world experience, would you recommend a good shop/ tuner?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 misha widebody, C63, Bmw M6 ...Ferrari 360-RIP
dc performance is doing one for me there in west LA, they do in house ecu tuning and dynojet
Old 11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by 360Jami333
dc performance is doing one for me there in west LA, they do in house ecu tuning and dynojet
Yes Aaron is a dear friend of mine, fantastic group of guys over at DC. Just wanted to know where people are going for their tuning needs in LA. I would also buy a used set up as long as it wont blow up my engine.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
One option is EvoSport in Huntington Beach. I have purchased a few products from them. I always dealt with Simon. he is a very knowledgeable, helpful friendly guy.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
One option is EvoSport in Huntington Beach. I have purchased a few products from them. I always dealt with Simon. he is a very knowledgeable, helpful friendly guy.
Yes but you will pay a boat load for a product like that from evosport, WAY over priced. The fastest E55's are tuned by Jeremy from OE tuning and he has very good prices too
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
HMS maybe an option as well.... they sell ASP 180mm pulley and use OE Tuning for their tunes.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Yes but you will pay a boat load for a product like that from evosport, WAY over priced. The fastest E55's are tuned by Jeremy from OE tuning and he has very good prices too
Thanks Chawkins, I agree with you. I went to Evo's web site and while their products are really nice I just dont see the need to throw money away on products that can be obtained cheaper at other shops. Will you shoot me Jeramy's contact info? Thanks brotha...

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
HMS maybe an option as well.... they sell ASP 180mm pulley and use OE Tuning for their tunes.
Been hearing amazing things about HMS. Spoke to Serge last week, stand up guy. However, his prices are way too rich for my blood. Dont get me wrong, I'm ready to pay but no reason to OVERpay.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
They are pricey, but I have real world experience and would recommend them which is what the OP asked. I would also recommend Renntech. In fact, if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed with RT (or maybe Kleemann) on all mods. Overpriced? maybe, but I would have rested easier when reading the "blown motor" threads.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM

none yet
i had the exact same question a few months back and most people recommended jeremy at OETUNING. i went over to his pace while he tuned a members 55 and i was very impressed with his knowledge and tuning. he is a really cool guy and haven't heard anything negative about him. go hang out for a few hours and you will agree.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Thanks Chawkins, I agree with you. I went to Evo's web site and while their products are really nice I just dont see the need to throw money away on products that can be obtained cheaper at other shops. Will you shoot me Jeramy's contact info? Thanks brotha...

Been hearing amazing things about HMS. Spoke to Serge last week, stand up guy. However, his prices are way too rich for my blood. Dont get me wrong, I'm ready to pay but no reason to OVERpay.
Evosport has been in business for many years, they and Renntech are usually first to market with new product for new models, they put in the R&D time to make sure the products work. IMO evosport is a bargain compared to Renntech, before I decided on a tuner to tune my Black Series I had it narrowed down to Renntech and Evosport, in addition to evosport being about 30% less than Renntech they appeared to be more hands on, I was able to speak with the owners as well as their engineers and techs, it gave me a much higher level of confidence that what I was looking for would be attained. You use the word "cheaper" in your post, do you really want to be "cheap" when you are talking about a car that retailed for close to $100k? Evosport stands behind their product, god forbid you encounter a problem with one of their problems they are going to be there to stand behind it, can the same be said about some of these Johnny come lately low cost tuners that seem to be coming out of the woodwork? I'm not knocking anyone, I don't know enough about some of the other tuners mentioned in this thread, do your homework before making a decision.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 E63
Originally Posted by cal1
They are pricey, but I have real world experience and would recommend them which is what the OP asked. I would also recommend Renntech. In fact, if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed with RT (or maybe Kleemann) on all mods. Overpriced? maybe, but I would have rested easier when reading the "blown motor" threads.
Yes the "blown motor" stories are scary! Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by soop95
i had the exact same question a few months back and most people recommended jeremy at OETUNING. i went over to his pace while he tuned a members 55 and i was very impressed with his knowledge and tuning. he is a really cool guy and haven't heard anything negative about him. go hang out for a few hours and you will agree.
I will drive out today if someone will send me his contact info!

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
+1
Yes but he is expensive! When I first got my ride, Ed from HMS drove me around in his car. Wow. I asked him how much it would cost to get my car that fast and he said at one time it cost $20K and now (about one year ago) it only costs $10K. What I'm trying to say is that you'd think the tuners would lower their prices on a stage one in order to attract more clients. After all, the 55K motor is a rare, and unfortunately dying breed.

Originally Posted by jrcart
Evosport has been in business for many years, they and Renntech are usually first to market with new product for new models, they put in the R&D time to make sure the products work. IMO evosport is a bargain compared to Renntech, before I decided on a tuner to tune my Black Series I had it narrowed down to Renntech and Evosport, in addition to evosport being about 30% less than Renntech they appeared to be more hands on, I was able to speak with the owners as well as their engineers and techs, it gave me a much higher level of confidence that what I was looking for would be attained. You use the word "cheaper" in your post, do you really want to be "cheap" when you are talking about a car that retailed for close to $100k? Evosport stands behind their product, god forbid you encounter a problem with one of their problems they are going to be there to stand behind it, can the same be said about some of these Johnny come lately low cost tuners that seem to be coming out of the woodwork? I'm not knocking anyone, I don't know enough about some of the other tuners mentioned in this thread, do your homework before making a decision.
"Cheaper" was a bad choice of word. I'm a RE broker and we never say "Cheaper", we say "More Affordable" or "Less Expensive".

Thank you for your advice guys, I really do appreciate it!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Yes but he is expensive! When I first got my ride, Ed from HMS drove me around in his car. Wow. I asked him how much it would cost to get my car that fast and he said at one time it cost $20K and now (about one year ago) it only costs $10K. What I'm trying to say is that you'd think the tuners would lower their prices on a stage one in order to attract more clients. After all, the 55K motor is a rare, and unfortunately dying breed.
Talk to Serge. I'm sure he'll give you good pricing.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cornfed gtr and m3
jeremy@oetuning.com. Phone # 1-818-574-5075. I believe he is moving into a new facility so might be tough to get a hold of presently.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 930chas
jeremy@oetuning.com. Phone # 1-818-574-5075. I believe he is moving into a new facility so might be tough to get a hold of presently.
Nuff Said Fastest E55's in the country have his tunes.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Jeremy@oetuning is the only person I trust with my tune. I'll actually be getting tuned by him before Famoso.

Jeremy has tuned some of the fastest 55's out there. There are several E55's just as quick as I am, Benzboi, loco55, lowprofile, and many others that are catching up. Now that everyone is getting tuned by Jeremy the playing field is leveled.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by bassn_07; 11-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jrcart
Well said. The bigger names usually have bigger budgets to spend on R&D and consequently suffer less product failures and probably no catastrophic failures. They stand behind their products just as strongly after the sale as they do before the sale, which I always say, is sometimes more important than support before the sale. They usually come out with products first and their products tend to be of higher quality. But again.... this all comes at a price. You end up paying a premium, so it really comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM

E55
I contacted HMS and Serge sent me this email:
"Stage I is crank pulley upgrade w/ a software upgrade and new k&n air filters. That runs 2500 parts and labor. Stage II and III is another level. We can just tune your car but there is another option of dyno tuning, dyno tuning gets the most power out of the car. Stage I gets you about 85-100 more horsepower to the wheels, thats about 110-150 to the engine more. Dyno tuning will get you about 30-40 hp more and about 50-60 tq. Just a flash tune is about 1000 and dyno tuning is 1400 since it takes longer and dyno rental."

I also wrote to oetuning and they haven't replied. Are the numbers and price that much different than HMS? Also, what IS dyno tuning?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Feel free to call or email me and I'll be happy to talk you through ALL the options. Don't ponder too much on the pricing on the website. I understand the E55 is an older chassis and we are working to lower those prices officially, but I can put together a package price that's competitive with what I believe is still the highest quality and most reliable pulley on the market!