Sponsored by:

new E63 owners perspective....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mercedes 71 280sl. Porsche 930 . Ducati mh900 and ps1000
new E63 owners perspective....

Here is my take on the E63 . my last car was a V70R with around 380hp.the volvo is way more fun to drive <i know not as fast>.with the E63 you need to drive real fast to get a thrill .fast but not sporty at all.one of my other cars is a 911 turbo 1989 <930>with a few mods , now that is fun.The good thing is now with the E63 I do not drive as fast in the city.I just let the trany do it's job and the real soft suspension get me there in confort.

hope you all won't hate me for this post.I like the car but not very engaging just freal fast.
Attached Thumbnails new E63 owners perspective....-930.jpg  
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ertech
Here is my take on the E63 . my last car was a V70R with around 380hp.the volvo is way more fun to drive <i know not as fast>.with the E63 you need to drive real fast to get a thrill .fast but not sporty at all.one of my other cars is a 911 turbo 1989 <930>with a few mods , now that is fun.The good thing is now with the E63 I do not drive as fast in the city.I just let the trany do it's job and the real soft suspension get me there in confort.

hope you all won't hate me for this post.I like the car but not very engaging just freal fast.
I think most people would agree. These cars are comfortable and fast in a straight line but they are not engaging like a sports car. I've owned a few 911 variants (and still have one in the garage) and will be selling my E63 for a new 997.2 TT because I just don't really need a big sedan these days. And I do like a more engaging car.

But it's not really fair to compare a heavy sedan with a 911 of any type. It's not the same sort of thing. They do complement each other really well (owning a P-car and an E63 at the same time is perfect because they're so opposite and have their own obvious qualities.) But they're totally different and were built that way on purpose.

I totally disagree that the R series Volvo is more fun than the E63. I had a S60R and it wasn't nearly as engaging as the E63. And I hated that Haldex AWD. It felt like a FWD car because the car is set up as a 90/10 front to rear bias. Traction control was way too intrusive. That transverse inline 5 cylinder motor is really noisy and rough and there's noticeable lag with the turbo. In fact, the motor su*cks if you ask me. It's really coarse. And the steering felt more artificial and isolating than any AMG. No comparison at all with the E63.

(ps, stock the car is 300 hp. What did you do to get a 80 hp increase? You'd have to go with a downpipe, catback and IPD Stage II but that gets you to about 355 hp only.)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Apples and oranges...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mercedes 71 280sl. Porsche 930 . Ducati mh900 and ps1000
All the mods you listed plus I/C
Your description of the r is correct . The noise and all makes it more fun . I guess I might be addicted to the turbo push in the seat.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Me and my P30 can not agree with that assesment.

Please note I owned a V70 T5 wich was to be my daily driver but a Honda Civic made a left against a red ending it's live 300,000 miles early.
Here it is just past 105.000 miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvoxbx1hMFE
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
+1 to apples & oranges.

If the E63 were as "engaging" as a 911 coupe, it wouldn't be the car most of us want. Comfortable, tons of effortless power and speed, luxurious, solid and self contained. I wouldn't want an E63 to be as engaging as the 911, those traits would make it far too nervous and needy for a sedan.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ertech
All the mods you listed plus I/C
Your description of the r is correct . The noise and all makes it more fun . I guess I might be addicted to the turbo push in the seat.
Well, each to their own but it doesn't take very long at all to realize the shortcomings of any Volvo R series. And esp with that motor and the car's FWD bias.

A transverse 5 cylinder motor is unbalanced (super noticeable secondary and tertiary order vibrations except at very a narrow midrange band) and loud (in really a bad way.) A car mag reviewer once said of the Volvo, "only John Deere himself would enjoy the unholy racket the five-cylinder turbo makes." Every time after driving that car when I tried to go to sleep at night all I could hear was that tractor sound in my head. I had nightmares about farming in Nebraska.

Volvos are nice grocery getters, fairly well-built and safe, etc.. But fun they aren't. And there's definitely no comparison to an E63. I'll always get a bucket load of smiles driving the E63 over any Volvo R.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by 220S
Well, each to their own but it doesn't take very long at all to realize the shortcomings of any Volvo R series. And esp with that motor and the car's FWD bias.

A transverse 5 cylinder motor is unbalanced (super noticeable secondary and tertiary order vibrations except at very a narrow midrange band) and loud (in really a bad way.) A car mag reviewer once said of the Volvo, "only John Deere himself would enjoy the unholy racket the five-cylinder turbo makes." Every time after driving that car when I tried to go to sleep at night all I could hear was that tractor sound in my head. I had nightmares about farming in Nebraska.

Volvos are nice grocery getters, fairly well-built and safe, etc.. But fun they aren't. And there's definitely no comparison to an E63. I'll always get a bucket load of smiles driving the E63 over any Volvo R.
+1 Volvo driver - Someone who is so bad at driving that they want a car that is perceived overly safe. They drive slowly in the fast lane, they cut into traffic causing other drivers to swerve and brake violently to avoid a collision. From Urban Dict.