W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ratio of Coolant to use for H/E and pump install this weekend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
What ratio of Coolant to use for H/E and pump install this weekend?

I'm installing a Eurocharged H/E and CM30 pump this weekend on my '03 E55. I have 2 galons of the Mercedes coolant(part #Q1030002). I've found numerous threads about what folks run in the summer and winter to keep these cars cool. I want to fill it once and not have to deal with changing it with the seasons. I believe the Mercedes coolant is undiluted(someone please confirm). The coolant reads a 50/50 mix is optimal. Can I use tap water from the faucet or do I need to use distilled water? I'm simply looking for the optimal mix so I only have to do this once.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
if your i/c system isnt separated then a 50/50 mix with distilled water is what you need. if you have a remote resevoir for the i/c then separating will drop the i/c temps a bunch and transfer the system from high pressure to low pressure. then you can use a 70/30 mix. water dissapates heat better than anti freeze as the name implies it retains heat to keep the block from cracking
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM

E55
I am not running a split system. So, 50/50 with distilled water is the way to go. Who sells distilled water? Auto parts stores or Grocery stores?

Can someone confirm that the Mercedes coolant is NOT pre-mixed to 50/50? I'm almost certain it is not but, would like to verify.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
any dollar store. .99 per gallon. m/b coolant is not mixed from the jug.
a strong suggestion. buy a prestone rad flush and before you change anything do a radiator flush. then refill with distiiled only and flush again. you will be astounded at the crud that comes out.
i went thru 10 gallons of distilled water when i flushed mine and refilled. worth every penny
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM

E55 AMG
If you take your time you could recover most of the coolant. Catch it in a bucket, fill the new heat exchanger and plug the inlet/outlet. Once the HE is installed, remove plugs and hook the hoses to the pump. Bleed th system and your done.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM

E55
Thanks for the information!

Todd

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
a strong suggestion. buy a prestone rad flush and before you change anything do a radiator flush. then refill with distiiled only and flush again. you will be astounded at the crud that comes out.
i went thru 10 gallons of distilled water when i flushed mine and refilled. worth every penny
Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM

E55
I'm not the original owner of the car and would prefer to add new fluid since I have no idea what is in there and how long it has been there...

Thanks,
Todd

Originally Posted by Turbo 6
If you take your time you could recover most of the coolant. Catch it in a bucket, fill the new heat exchanger and plug the inlet/outlet. Once the HE is installed, remove plugs and hook the hoses to the pump. Bleed th system and your done.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
once you fill everything up run the car to operating temps. open the resevoir and watch for bubbles. you should see a bunch. after the tstat opens run the heater full blast eye the system and once the bubbles are gone you should be good
Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
But if you flush it, you need to replace the header tank and on an 03 you still have many years left on it.

The MB coolant is in fact blue/dark green, the coolant must remain in the cooling system for the specified interval. There is a silica pack in the coolant tank that maintains proper additive levels for the life of the coolant. MB uses "HOAT" coolants and have absolutely nothing in common with the "change the coolant every year" types (IAT/OAT) that went away with the Jurasic period of automotive technology

I strongly suggest NOT opening the system or adding anything to the system. If your engine tells you that the coolant level is low then add ONLY distilled water and always consult the owners manual.

Coolant changes are performed every 140,000 miles and not any sooner. When the coolant is new it reacts with the engines metals forming a protective layer and achieving a balance in Ph. Adding coolant or changing it early throws off the balance and can cause increased corrosion due to the change in initial Ph of new coolant.

So drain what you can in to a clean pan and use it again, after that to "make up" shortage add 50/50 mix with distilled water, bleed the inter-cooler (a must do) and you are on the way.
Many have split their system, it is easy to do and as I recall a VW or BMW (rounded cylinder) header tank fits nicely on the radiator support.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 01-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
on my 32 the coolant changes are every 3 yrs not by mileage. im not what the sure "header tank" is? do you mean coolant resovoir? no packet in mine.

todd edge i apologize if i gave you any misinformation