Renntech ELM. V1 question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Renntech ELM. V1 question.

I need you guys opinion on this.

I found a new Renntech V1 ELM for $600. Is that a good price?
I know with the V1 is not plug and play like with the V2 & V3... but I don't want to spend what the V2 & V3 cost.

If I got the V1 I wouldn't be doing the install my self, I would let a professional do that. And thats were my question comes.... about how long does it take to install the V1 and about how much do you guys think it would cost to have this installed?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM

2006 E55
Its actually 2 units that I found. But they have different model numbers... what is the difference between this two?

32 221 0098
and
32 221 0099
Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I paid $400 on ebay for mine.
I have seen them listed here for as high as $700.

The install is not terribly difficult, but it would be best to find someone who has done it before as that would greatly expedite the install and set up.

Good thing is Renntech's customer support is fantastic, so if you can't find someone who has done it before they could contact them for advise....there is some issue with the "3 or 4 wire" install.

Almost 100% sure the 99 part number is for our cars.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by iceman-kimster
I need you guys opinion on this.

I found a new Renntech V1 ELM for $600. Is that a good price?
I know with the V1 is not plug and play like with the V2 & V3... but I don't want to spend what the V2 & V3 cost.

If I got the V1 I wouldn't be doing the install my self, I would let a professional do that. And thats were my question comes.... about how long does it take to install the V1 and about how much do you guys think it would cost to have this installed?
1. Do you think it is a good price?
2. If you dont want to spend the money for a V2 or V3 then you have no other options when it comes to a Renntech ELM.
3. Cost.....whew....which mechanic, which state, dealer or not a dealer, certified mechanic or gas station mechanic?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM

2003 E55
Iceman - I just installed a V1. It's not that tough. If you can disconnect the battery and use basic hand tools like a wire stripper and crimper and are patient, you can do it. It takes a about 90 min start to finish. I think the V1 is probably easier to install than the V2 because the V2 requires you to disassemble the terminal blocks connecting the wire harness going to the airmatic and pull the terminal pins out of the blocks and re-insert into another terminal block. The downside of the V1 is that you're cutting into wires, but it's easy - takes about a dozen butt connectors and you're done. Let me know if you have any q's.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM

2006 E55
E55 cannon... Thanks for the input!.that's exactly what I need it to find out.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 PM

2003 E55
I have to say now that I've installed the V1 I really don't see any benefit to spending the extra $$$ for the V2 and the remote. I looked at pulling the pins out of the terminal block but I think pulling the pins and creating another cold connection is creating more opportunity for a bad connection. I'm glad I went the other route and soldered/heatshrinked all my connections. I also did it way downstream on the wiring harness so if I do remove the ELM, nobody will ever know because the splice points on my install are down toward the fire wall. In order to do it, I had to extend the stock ELM's wires. I extended them enough to run the control box in the first aid kit compartment on the passenger seat. Since I installed the ELM, I played with it the first day, found the setting I liked best, and haven't messed with it once. If I need to, it's right there -easy access. The other day, I put the cover back on since I really have no interest in changing the settings. Here's a pic of the ELM:

Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by E55 Cannon
I have to say now that I've installed the V1 I really don't see any benefit to spending the extra $$$ for the V2 and the remote. I looked at pulling the pins out of the terminal block but I think pulling the pins and creating another cold connection is creating more opportunity for a bad connection. I'm glad I went the other route and soldered/heatshrinked all my connections. I also did it way downstream on the wiring harness so if I do remove the ELM, nobody will ever know because the splice points on my install are down toward the fire wall. In order to do it, I had to extend the stock ELM's wires. I extended them enough to run the control box in the first aid kit compartment on the passenger seat. Since I installed the ELM, I played with it the first day, found the setting I liked best, and haven't messed with it once. If I need to, it's right there -easy access. The other day, I put the cover back on since I really have no interest in changing the settings. Here's a pic of the ELM:

Pic doesnt work
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM

2003 E55
must be something wrong with my connection - it was there when I was posting and now gone. ???