W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know a good way to beat a speeding ticket??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
So I had this guys riding my a**, so when I had a clear lane I punched it. And got caught by Catch Em AKA Virginia Highway Patrol doing 97 mph in a 55 mph zone back in September. The officer told me, dam that car is fast, he also used LIDAR. VA law states each mile over 90 mph, is one day in jail, so I was facing 7 days, and the possibility of losing my security clearance. First you need to have your speedometer calibrated, as this will help you in knocking down the speed a few miles. My speedometer was 3 miles off, so it helped. It's hard to beat Lidar, if you're the only in the beam at the time. I also took an Aggressive Driving and Defensive Driving Courses, that helped as well, as it knocked 5 points off of my record. But the bottom line is get yourself a good lawyer. When all was said and done, I paid a $150 fine, $82 court fee, but couldn't escape the 5 points the court added back on to my license, dam dam. All in all, the whole ordeal cost me $1250, and was an eye opener for me. Bottom line is slow your a** down, I have at least for the next few years until the points come off. Most Virginia drivers may not know that, if you take an accredited driving course, it knocks off 5 points off your license. But you can only do this every two years. So, I'm not eligible to take the course again until September 2012. And when 2012 rolls around again, I will be there. Besides the course was only $50 out in Tysons Corner, VA.

Last edited by Yuille36; 02-24-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Huh? So you are the jam car(TCR/AFX Racing 1975-1982) in the slow lane driving the CTS-V or E63? C'mon man!
Hahaha,,,I pretty much speed were ever I go (hardwired Passport 9500's) "BUT" if caught I'm willing to pay my fines without looking for a way to get out of it.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

VA Highway Patrol cars are equipped with Radar Detector - Detectors. Ask me how, I know? Besides Radar detector are illegal here. This state doesn't play, they take speed seriously.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Yuille36
VA Highway Patrol cars are equipped with Radar Detector - Detectors. Ask me how, I know? Besides Radar detector are illegal here. This state doesn't play, they take speed seriously.

I honestly cant think of a worser state to speed in than Virginia. Everytime I've driven through it I've watched my speed like whoa.
After all, speeders are the worst criminals out there, especially on clear roads
Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
So I had this guys riding my a**, so when I had a clear lane I punched it. And got caught by Catch Em AKA Virginia Highway Patrol doing 97 mph in a 55 mph zone back in September. The officer told me, dam that car is fast, he also used LIDAR. VA law states each mile over 90 mph, is one day in jail, so I was facing 7 days, and the possibility of losing my security clearance. First you need to have your speedometer calibrated, as this will help you in knocking down the speed a few miles. My speedometer was 3 miles off, so it helped. It's hard to beat Lidar, if you're the only in the beam at the time. I also took an Aggressive Driving and Defensive Driving Courses, that helped as well, as it knocked 5 points off of my record. But the bottom line is get yourself a good lawyer. When all was said and done, I paid a $150 fine, $82 court fee, but couldn't escape the 5 points the court added back on to my license, dam dam. All in all, the whole ordeal cost me $1250, and was an eye opener for me. Bottom line is slow your a** down, I have at least for the next few years until the points come off. Most Virginia drivers may not know that, if you take an accredited driving course, it knocks off 5 points off your license. But you can only do this every two years. So, I'm not eligible to take the course again until September 2012. And when 2012 rolls around again, I will be there. Besides the course was only $50 out in Tysons Corner, VA.
Did the Trooper reduce your reckless to speeding? The last time i got a ticket 4yrs ago was 70/45 on rt 7 going eastbound from loudoun to fairfax. Saw the laser gun and pulled over before he could come out to get me. He cut me a break (reduced to 15 over) saying thanks for pulling over and not having him chase me 1 mile or so down the road and zigzag through traffic to get me. He even told me to take the defensive driving class and will like you said take 5pts off my record. End of the day it cost me $75 and court costs. Last time i got a ticket, it was $3/mph over the speed limit. Didnt know it jumped to $5.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, he reduced it. He cut me a break after my lawyer talked to him and the prosecutor. I'm telling you to watch your a** when driving in VA.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
I proved the officer was lying about my speed by using physics once.

Cop pulled out in front of me after lasering a different car, then slowed down and pulled me over. He actually unholstered his weapon before asking for license + insurance but that's a story for another day.

Apparently I was going 79mph in a 65 [which I wasnt, I was on cruise control going 65 leaving a the cancer lab I worked at at the time]. I asked to see the laser, which he showed me. 79mph, shot at 112 feet.

Long story short, he admitted to "lasering me, getting into his car, and pulling out in front of me to get me to pull over" instead of letting me pass him then pulling out to pull me over. That's all I needed to prove him wrong.

I talked to a Judge here in Houston about it, and explained to her that at 79 mph, he'd have less than a second to laser me, get in the car, and then pull out in front of me just to throw on his lights and pull me over if what he said was true [laser from 112 feet]

Why did she let me off, you ask? At 79mph, you're traveling ~116fps. So clearly he shot the 88 accord and saw more fun prey in the distance [me].

On the contrary, I am generally a huge supporter of the police. But this guy was a phaggot, if not for lying, certainly for unholstering his weapon only to ask for license and registration.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
My cousin is a State Trooper here in Illinois. He said it is unlawful for a law enforcement entity to use an electronic speed detection device, ie laser, radar, lidar, within 500 feet of a posted speed limit sign, in the direction of travel! He says this is in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices(MUTCD) which most states adhere to. He says most cops don't even know this exists, and have no defense when its presented as a defense in court. Go back to the spot where the cop was sitting, and see where the nearest speed limit is posted. If it's within 500 feet, take pictures and present in court with a copy of the MUTCD.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009/pdf_index.htm
Two states (Texas and Colorado) that i know have have what is called the home rule where those cities ignore the traffic engineer' s recommendations and the MUTCD and set their own speed limits. And they set them deliberately to increase ticket revenue.

LA is cracking down on traffic fines because they are cash strapped. There was a interesting article about it on CNN.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Cop got me doing 110 down wilshire at 4am on a sunday (she was on a side street so only caught me for a split second which might also be why this worked), asked me if I knew how fast I was going. Apologized saying I was going 58(in a 45) and that because it was so late I didn't realize it.

She called my bs and said her gun got me doing 110, I asked if she updated the software to make sure it was properly calibrated.

Lets me off with a very strong warning. Not sure where I read it but some guy said that to a cop and got off with a warning.

So the only thing I can think of is arguing that the gun was reading wrong.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
I don't know if you can do this in CA, but in some states you can ask for a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC). Just go to court and when it is your turn just say that you wish a PJC to be considered. You will pay court costs and the fine, but I doubt this is about the money anyway... Or, as others said, you can get a lawyer (who will either get you a PJC or plea it down if he knows the ADA)...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by Hyperlite
Cop got me doing 110 down wilshire at 4am on a sunday (she was on a side street so only caught me for a split second which might also be why this worked), asked me if I knew how fast I was going. Apologized saying I was going 58(in a 45) and that because it was so late I didn't realize it.

She called my bs and said her gun got me doing 110, I asked if she updated the software to make sure it was properly calibrated.

Lets me off with a very strong warning. Not sure where I read it but some guy said that to a cop and got off with a warning.

So the only thing I can think of is arguing that the gun was reading wrong.
Were you actually going 110? That calibration thing doesn't really work any longer. Most of the new guns automatically calibrate themselves every time the vehicle is turned on.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
He actually unholstered his weapon before asking for license + insurance but that's a story for another day.
I was actually cuffed and searched at 2:30 a.m. in my small town by a young and overly agressive sheriff's deputy. I was in a BMW service loaner car with plates from Kentucky (I live across the river in Indiana, 20 mins away). He passed me in the other direction, spun around, pulled me over and in so doing, stated that I was driving suspiciously fast - although he never used the radar gun, but only observed me. In candor, i was speeding - probably 75-80 along a 2 lane highway, but nothing obscene.

However, the point of the story is that he abruptly asked that I exit my car, he then cuffed me and left me leaning over the hood of his car for 15 minutes while he went through my wallet, found my license (confirming i lived 3 miles from the location), and then called in my license to dispatch to check me out.

To this day, I suspect he was quickly advised that I was an upstanding member of the local bar association, a respected attorney in town, and he probably realized that he had no earthly grounds (i.e., probable cause) to handcuff and search me, especially without advising me of my rights. Not sure a loaner BMW X5 (which says "BMW Loaner") on the back window is terribly suspicious, but anyhow.

He finally released me, led me to my car, and wrote me a ticket for "reckelss driving" after admitting that while he had no idea of my speed, he observed it being in a reckless manner. Not wanting to make a crazy situation any worse, I said nothing, took my citation and went home, still in disbelief.

The next morning, at 8:00 a.m., I presented myself in the office of the local prosecuting attorney, whom I know (although I do not do criminal work, etc.) and explained what happened. I was pretty pissed to have been treated like that. He took the ticket and said he would call me back. He called a week later - the officer "never turned in the citation" and he was pretty sure it wasnt ever going to be an issue. I pondered pushing the issue a bit, as that young deputy was clearly over the line. But, I know he had an *** chew, and I figured it was best at this point to leave well enough alone.

I'm pro-law enforcement too, but there are bad eggs out there (just like there are bad lawyers, bad doctors and bad "you name its").
Old 02-26-2011, 06:15 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 06E55
Were you actually going 110? That calibration thing doesn't really work any longer. Most of the new guns automatically calibrate themselves every time the vehicle is turned on.
Like I said.......58..........must have been a faulty gun.....heh heh heh.....
Old 02-26-2011, 12:23 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by lawguy
I was actually cuffed and searched at 2:30 a.m. in my small town by a young and overly agressive sheriff's deputy. I was in a BMW service loaner car with plates from Kentucky (I live across the river in Indiana, 20 mins away). He passed me in the other direction, spun around, pulled me over and in so doing, stated that I was driving suspiciously fast - although he never used the radar gun, but only observed me. In candor, i was speeding - probably 75-80 along a 2 lane highway, but nothing obscene.

However, the point of the story is that he abruptly asked that I exit my car, he then cuffed me and left me leaning over the hood of his car for 15 minutes while he went through my wallet, found my license (confirming i lived 3 miles from the location), and then called in my license to dispatch to check me out.

To this day, I suspect he was quickly advised that I was an upstanding member of the local bar association, a respected attorney in town, and he probably realized that he had no earthly grounds (i.e., probable cause) to handcuff and search me, especially without advising me of my rights. Not sure a loaner BMW X5 (which says "BMW Loaner") on the back window is terribly suspicious, but anyhow.

He finally released me, led me to my car, and wrote me a ticket for "reckelss driving" after admitting that while he had no idea of my speed, he observed it being in a reckless manner. Not wanting to make a crazy situation any worse, I said nothing, took my citation and went home, still in disbelief.

The next morning, at 8:00 a.m., I presented myself in the office of the local prosecuting attorney, whom I know (although I do not do criminal work, etc.) and explained what happened. I was pretty pissed to have been treated like that. He took the ticket and said he would call me back. He called a week later - the officer "never turned in the citation" and he was pretty sure it wasnt ever going to be an issue. I pondered pushing the issue a bit, as that young deputy was clearly over the line. But, I know he had an *** chew, and I figured it was best at this point to leave well enough alone.

I'm pro-law enforcement too, but there are bad eggs out there (just like there are bad lawyers, bad doctors and bad "you name its").

I had assumed that if he weren't just giving the guy in scrubs driving a bright blue RX-8 a ticket out of spite, that there was a description out for a blue RX-8 and he was being cautious/doing his job.

That, or he's a dick.

+1 to the bad apples thing. I just tell myself every time I have a bad experience that I'm blessed that it's not me walking up to a car that I deem suspicious to figure out what's going on.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plymouth Horizon ;]
Ah, love my FOP card..
Old 02-26-2011, 12:32 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by slninja
Ah, love my FOP card..
I love my CHL
Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plymouth Horizon ;]
I love my CHL
Yeah! Show that to the cop...
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
Originally Posted by ohlord
when you do the response check the box that you want to dispute the ticket. Ask for a court date.
B. When you get that date assigned letter ask for a delay.
C. Subpoena the officer it is your right.
D. appear on the second date they set.
E. Most of the time the officer will not appear,case dismissed.
F.If he does appear you are no worse off pay the fine and move on more slowly.
G. In Ca they may offer traffic school and a reduced fine if it is your first ticket.
See if that option appeals to you.
In CA the above is correct. Just got picked off for 91 in 65, sucks b/c instant point as traffic school is not an option at 25mph and over. Went to the county courthouse and the young kid working the window laid out the plan to delay / delay / delay. Odds go from 20% in your favor to 50/50 in the end of the cop showing up. Looked into a lawyer as well, cost was ~$1200-1500 in CA. In the end it was my first point in years so I took my medicine and paid the fine. Main reason to move on was the fact it was only a $160 per year insurance rate hit against my primary car which i never drive (non-AMG). Trade off was worth it, and a chill pill on speed as I have been playing with fire for the past 4 years...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
97mph in VA? you are crazy my friend. We got the worst lawys in VA, everything over 85 is just nuts crazy. 90+ is just suicide.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 AM

2007 e63
Has anybody had experience with this ?
http://www.chp11-99.org/usr_doc/Life...onPacket10.pdf

Not a bad way to help CHPs who as a group face danger on the roads every day. Plus some possible side benefits with the wallet holder.....
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Beat my last 3 tickets through Trial by Declaration. Just be respectful towards the cop in what you send it. Courts seem to sway against any unprofessionalism.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Formerly: 2007 e63; 2012 GL450
That, or he's a dick.

+1 to the bad apples thing. I just tell myself every time I have a bad experience that I'm blessed that it's not me walking up to a car that I deem suspicious to figure out what's going on.
One of my kids' friends' dad's is a local sheriff. A really good dude. He knew the deputy from my story above and said he's an a-hole.

He did share that its often stressful when approaching a strange & suspicious car at night with tinted windows. I can understand that.