It's That Time...Spring Car Wax Shopping Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by m635dude
Has anyone used Wolfgang polishes? I just ordered some total swirl remover and the finishing glaze, I'm hoping to have good results with them.

As far as the porter cable 7424..... If you like to have your car clean and looking good, it's the best investment you'll ever buy. I bought mine about 5 years ago and it's never failed to impress. It's so easy to use, and it really lets you get in a good detail. If you do it by hand, you'll just never get the same look, you'll be dead tired by the end of it, and your efforts won't really show. It still takes me a long time with the buffer, but I really take my time and do about 6 full passes on the car. Again, best money I've ever spent for a car related product.
I have used the Porter Cable for about 10 years and still have it. I purchased a Flex DA orbital machine and it runs circles around the Porter Cable. I still use the PC with 4" pads for tight spots.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by tsquare
I live in Scripps ranch, been in SD for the last 24 yrs - and yes SD has the best mexican food on the west coast - too many good places to name.

You may find mexican food as good as in SD, but I doubt any better
Yep, I agree. you live in a great part of the world my friend. I do miss it.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 AM

2008 E63AMGP30
Went with the Zanio kit. I will post some pics of the job in a few weeks when i have some warm wax weather. Their leather cleaner smells decent. Removes smoker smell. Lots to do....
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
I've always been a Zaino user and love the stuff. No other finish will look as good as day one, a full 3-6 months after you put on a coat.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Meguiars NXT wax is nearly as good as any exotic product, cheaply available even at Walmart, and lasts a long time.

If you have paint issues, Meguiars Cleaner wax does wonders. This is like the Pert Plus Shampoo/Conditioner of wax, but the results are amazing for the cost and time.

The Meguiars products are professional quality at Turtle Wax prices and availability. I would try them before you spend big bucks on mail order stuff.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL 550
I have used Griot's Garage products and have been vey pleased with the results. The orbital polisher is great to use and the customer service has been excellent. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Zaino is a sealant, not really a wax. None of the other natural or synthetic "waxes" on the market will last as long.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 PM

2008 E63AMGP30
My first wax will be about finding all of the scratches on the car that I never knew were there before:-)

Yeah, I think the Zanio will do just fine. I'll do 2 or 3 coats while I have the motivation to do it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:23 PM

I saw a Z that had 80+ coats of zaino on it. The guy had kept the car in a garage mostly and built it up over a few years of owning it. The car looked ridiculously good. Zaino lasts so long you can actually layer on coats if you do it consistently.

I always like to start a fresh zaino application with a dawn wash and claybar. Here's the system I use:

1) Wash car with PLAIN Dawn dish soap, ensuring you clean off every bit of dirt.
2) Claybar entire car using cheap detail spray like McGuires
3) After complete claybar treatment, wash car again using Z7 show car shampoo
<optional application of Z-PC abrasive polish + orbital buff if your swirls are really bad>
4) Apply one coat of Z5 Pro + ZFX, let dry 30min+, and buff car with orbital buffer.
5) Wipe down entire car with Z6 gloss enhancer spray
6) Apply second coat of Z5 Pro + ZFX, let dry 30min+, and buff car with orbital buffer.
7) Wipe down entire car with Z6 gloss enhancer spray
8) Apply one coat of Z2 Pro polish, let dry 30min+, and buff car with orbital buffer.
9) Wipe down entire car with Z6, or Z8 spray seal if you have it

From there on out you should just apply coats of Z2 Pro to keep the finish looking nice. If you still experience swirls, you can also swap coats of Z5 Pro as it should help fill in the swirl marks to a slightly greater extent.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really easy if you have a good orbital buffer.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by tsquare
I'll be doing the same Spring Detailing on my black beast next mont and I am going to try:

Maguires Clay bar,
Klasse All in One
Klasse Sealer

I'll let you know the results when completed.

Goal is to keep the Black Beast looking good with as litttle weekly maintenance as possible- Hoping once the wax and sealer are applied that I can get away with wash's and Maguires Quik Detailer for awhile
and still maintain that glassy black look.
This post is to close the loop on my experience with Klasse system. I have to report that the product
worked great.
My process was the following:
1. Wash with dish washing detergent to remove old wax
2. Mothers clay bar kit entire car
3. 3m rubbing compound for deeper scratches
4. Klasse "all-in-one" by hand (one application)
5. Klasse "sealer" by hand (one application)

Over all the process was easy, Klasse all-in-one went on easy and did a good
job in bring the paint back to life and removing fine scratches. Klasse sealer is tricky, you must not apply too much at once otherwise removal is difficult and the paint will look cloudy.

I have lived with the car for a month now since the initial polishing doing weekly washes using Maguires Gold Car wash. After the wash the car bright and shiny without scratches or swirl marks, this is a big improvement over the past, when after I would wash the car, fine scratches would appear. I do believe that the Klasse sealer does a good job of putting a hard protective layer on the car. After the wash I do a quick spray detail using a mixture of 2oz's of Klasse sealer in my Maguires Quik Deatailer spray bottle,
after this the car just glows. I believe the finish on my car looks better today, then after the initial polishing. For a 9 year old car, the original paint looks great, and being a black car that says a lot.

I am hoping that the Klasse product maintains it's protection for a least six months. I am curious to see how the Klasse Sealer boost application in the Maguires Quik Detailer extends the life of the finish. I have no problem doing a complete polish 2 times a year if the car will look as good as it does today.

Again, I did not use a machine polisher and the whole process took about 4 hours.

I will post again in the next 4 to 6 months and report back on the products performance.

Last edited by tsquare; 06-01-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM

2008 E63AMGP30
Good info. My pics came down because I switched internet hosting sites.