Sponsored by:

air box mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Common dude, that is a very bad attempt at scoops. Do yourself a favour and get rid of those things ASAP, you are driving a benz, not a civic. Have a little pride, you are also representing the AMG community as a whole here.
They're not finished, I thought that was implied when I stated:

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
As you can see in the close up, I need to put something that can withstand the temperature of the radiator to better seal off the junction between the radiator-pass-through and the scoop. Any thoughts?
and
Oh, and it goes without saying - the stencil AMG failed miserably so I'm going to hand paint it at some point. Just got done too late tonight and I wanted to check fitment/test them when I drive to the hospital tomorrow.
The only reason they're still on the car is because of the possibility that I get to the TX2K11 free dyno day this Friday.

I do care more about function than form, though. And if I really wanted to, I could have just fabbed up knockoff TTM scoops identically, but that's stealing. Not to mention I wanted mine to be aluminum and curved as opposed to having linear junctions on the face.

With that said, your car is a beauty. And I'll second that I love the sound that the scoops make when compared to the stock intake restrictions.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
Common dude, that is a very bad attempt at scoops. Do yourself a favour and get rid of those things ASAP, you are driving a benz, not a civic. Have a little pride, you are also representing the AMG community as a whole here.

On a more serious note, I noticed a big difference in sound and performance once the beast got up and running with my TTM scoops:

The craftsmanship is untouched, and they are the first conversation piece when I raise my hood at shows
And your sick Autozone paint on your surge tanks isn't honda material? It's a MB (as you said you represent us as a whole) should have had it professionally ceramic coated/powder coated.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by timeToy
I agree, I even believe it can adversely impact performance, theses scoops looks very flat to me, as the air bounce off the scoops it creates a high pressure zone on the surface of the scoop that may impact adversely the ability for air to flow smoothly in the intake tube. But on the other end given the amount of suction generated by the supercharger or even for that matter any high performance 5+ liters engine, I don't think the scoops really matter.

Any one has run back to back 1/4 miles with and without the TTM scoops ?
I love how people come here that dont even have an E55 and start spouting off there mouth on things that they have no idea about. Heres what you do genius go out and buy yourself and E55, get the ***** to actual take it too the track and see what it runs ( barring that you have the foggiest idea how to drag race) then buy a set of TTM scoops and go back to the track and get some real world data. With that you *might* be able to form an opinion out of fact instead of some useless crap that you half understood out of a book.
Do us all a favor and stick with your honda.

They're not finished, I thought that was implied when I stated:

and

The only reason they're still on the car is because of the possibility that I get to the TX2K11 free dyno day this Friday.

I do care more about function than form, though. And if I really wanted to, I could have just fabbed up knockoff TTM scoops identically, but that's stealing. Not to mention I wanted mine to be aluminum and curved as opposed to having linear junctions on the face.

With that said, your car is a beauty. And I'll second that I love the sound that the scoops make when compared to the stock intake restrictions.
They look finished to me.... I mean you you took the time to post those pictures in the thread of it mounted on your car.
You say it it cost less than 300 to build, trust me it shows.
You say out of respect to Bruce, bla bla bla, Trying to copy someone else's design and failing then having the nerve to post pictures about it is not respectfully.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I love how people come here that dont even have an E55 and start spouting off there mouth on things that they have no idea about. Heres what you do genius go out and buy yourself and E55, get the ***** to actual take it too the track and see what it runs ( barring that you have the foggiest idea how to drag race) then buy a set of TTM scoops and go back to the track and get some real world data. With that you *might* be able to form an opinion out of fact instead of some useless crap that you half understood out of a book.

They look finished to me.... I mean you you took the time to post those pictures in the thread of it mounted on your car.
You say it it cost less than 300 to build, trust me it shows.
You say out of respect to Bruce, bla bla bla, Trying to copy someone else's design and failing then having the nerve to post pictures about it is not respectfully.
Well I'm sorry to have given you the wrong impression then [even though it is your shortcoming for failing to use your reading skills]. Posting pictures of the mock-up helped to explain/answer questions about the stock intake that other members have posed in this thread.

You can't lecture anyone on respect, especially me, when you speak to people the way you do. But since it's anonymous and on the internet and I can't do anything about it, carry on.

Just like the real world though, everything is better when people are nice to each other.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 E63 Wagon
Wow, you seem to know me very well, even better than I, FYI I have been to a track numerous time, road course and drag; with equal cars, chances I can smoke you badly on a road course.

I'm just surprised that the end user have to pony up the money to run the tests to corroborate the manufacturer claims. Oh wait there are no claims !

And BTW, at least I do read books

Again anyone has run back to back 1/4 miles with and without the TTM scoops ?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Craigo
And your sick Autozone paint on your surge tanks isn't honda material? It's a MB (as you said you represent us as a whole) should have had it professionally ceramic coated/powder coated.
Where did this *** clown show up from Listen here NEWB, when you get a post count that represents you have something of value to post, it might be best, if you keep the babble to yourself.

Before you get all BUTT soar about the tanks, the products were ordered from http://www.tcpglobal.com/ and painted by moir! Not everyone buys products for their AMG from crapzone
Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Where did this *** clown show up from Listen here NEWB, when you get a post count that represents you have something of value to post, it might be best, if you keep the babble to yourself.

Before you get all BUTT soar about the tanks, the products were ordered from http://www.tcpglobal.com/ and painted by moir! Not everyone buys products for their AMG from crapzone
This thread is way out of hand. Can't we all just get along?

FYI he's been here 1 [one] month less than you. I'm the "newb."
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
I'm going to interrupt the dart throwing here and ask a question that was not answered,,,,,, would the addition of the scoops on a tuned car throw out any codes???
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
I'm going to interrupt the dart throwing here and ask a question that was not answered,,,,,, would the addition of the scoops on a tuned car throw out any codes???
I answered it up above. My "crappy" scoops don't throw a code on my tuned E55 so the $300 ones wont either.

If my garage-fabbed ones don't throw an error code, I'm sure that the TTM scoops dont. Just follow your intake tubes back, past your filters, and see where they join at the back of your engine bay. Any change in airflow dynamics before the junction shouldn't change anything, otherwise anyone with aftermarket filters would throw a code.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
What is with the hostility?
Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 PM

I answered it up above. My "crappy" scoops don't throw a code on my tuned E55 so the $300 ones wont either.
FTR,,,,I don't think your scoops are "crappy",,,,,I do like the added AMG touch you gave.

I read your response so I know that they don't throw a code on the E55, but I just wondered if there was a difference since I have a E63..........???
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
FTR,,,,I don't think your scoops are "crappy",,,,,I do like the added AMG touch you gave.

I read your response so I know that they don't throw a code on the E55, but I just wondered if there was a difference since I have a E63..........???
To be honest, I don't have any clue what the intake ducts on my e63 are like. If I find a minute after finishing them for the E55 I'll pop the hood on the E63, and if possible, fit them and drive it around for you. Can't give you a time frame though, my life is a bit unpredictable as to free time.

Bruce should know though!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM

To be honest, I don't have any clue what the intake ducts on my e63 are like. If I find a minute after finishing them for the E55 I'll pop the hood on the E63, and if possible, fit them and drive it around for you. Can't give you a time frame though, my life is a bit unpredictable as to free time.

Bruce should know though!
Thanks.....
Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W463 G500, 2003 Terminator Cobra (710RWHP), 2012 S350 Bluetec, 2010 911 C4S, 2007 VRSCDX
This is classic stuff!

As for the powder coated and bended sheet metal maybe $100 to do a one off done correctly(Prices drops substanialy in volume and if made in CHINA Warrenville). This is also assuming you know how to bend sheet metal well. That doesnt account for CAD time which is not real world tested so kind of a wash, it does look good. @ $300 it is pricey but so are all the other vendors parts for AMG, but I guess it comes with the limited production numbers. If it can show gains of 3hp its worth it the rule is roughly $100 per horse.

In the end who really cares, although the Autozone callout was pretty good, I mean you did take a pictures of yourself with no shirt on and actually flexing and then took the time to submit it to a W211 AMG mbworld form thread that was talking about Concealed Carry Guns. Yet you proceed to call this guy an *** clown? He is actually creating something for his car, good for you. Although not beautiful, if it works who cares you didnt pay $300, and if you are ok with it thats all that counts, its your time and money.

I am done, although I will get some trash talking my direction who cares its the internet and we can all be "Pimps from Oakland or Cowboys from Arizona!"

Last edited by W109 W211 6.2L; 03-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Here ya go, now stop your non sense.
First pass with scoops, 2hr cool down and took them off, Granted I did not put on the factory plastic back on.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 E63 Wagon
Here ya go, now stop your non sense.
First pass with scoops, 2hr cool down and took them off, Granted I did not put on the factory plastic back on.
(...)
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. TTM should have started with this.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848

I shouldn't even respond but... Post count = what??? OMGzzgdgareta
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
W212 E63
TTM scoops for $300 are not a bad deal. BenzoDoc's are just as good. It all depends if you feel like spending $300 for someone to do the work for you. If you google "air intake scoop" or "sheet metal scoops" or any combination of those words you get hundreds of different materials, designs, and prices. The cars that actually benefit from "ram air" get really crazy, they've got carbon fiber scoops that look really nice.

Good work Doc, way to think outside the box...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
W212 E63
For $99 you can buy these and just slightly modify them...

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu...N/RPI-RAI.html

http://www.modbargains.com/RPi-ram-a...ake-scoops.htm
Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by TheVazha
Carbon fiber
This is the plan for the scoops. Last week I ordered 2x 24"x60" Di-Noc sheets so I can hit the engine bay along with some other stuff. Don Nguyen has posted tons of pictures of other makes with the same treatment, and other members here have had nice success doing their engine bays.

Thank you for the positive feedback, I very much appreciate it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
No need to get defensive with the $300 price tag.. Its just not worth it at that price for some people, for others it is.. Personally if it were a bit less expensive I would entertain the thought.. I understand the high costs associated with the production of the product, and accept the price..
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM

2005 e55
I am new to this forum and bought an E55 because of two kids. I just bought a spare hood and I'm going to cut it up in the name of science to figure a way to tastefully get fresh air where the damn tb is which is at the rear. Don't know how exactly but I owning a small custom shop I'll make a go at it. I just don't understand pulling air all the way from front to back when you can just go straight up?! I honestly don't know how much it will improve but I can say it will be tasteful and probably sound nasty!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 PM

2005 e55
Guess I shouldve used spell check but I'm doing this from my phone. SORRY
Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by SIC55
I am new to this forum and bought an E55 because of two kids. I just bought a spare hood and I'm going to cut it up in the name of science to figure a way to tastefully get fresh air where the damn tb is which is at the rear. Don't know how exactly but I owning a small custom shop I'll make a go at it. I just don't understand pulling air all the way from front to back when you can just go straight up?! I honestly don't know how much it will improve but I can say it will be tasteful and probably sound nasty!
Hmmm.. Looking forward to what you come up with.. Keep us posted..
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I think Bruce did a great job with this intake scoops. If they fit my car, I'd get them. I totally know were Bruce is coming from. If i was going to make these it would cost me a lot more than what Bruce is charging. Sometimes there are projects I do for my car, thats only meant for me. 9x out of 10 it costs me a whole bunch of money when starting from scratch. So its a nice change of pace to buy a product rather than having to make it yourself. Bruce, if you got something like this for the SL55, I'll slap them on my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: air box mod