W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Butchered ECU, Motor Lost - Be Careful Out There (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Speedriven
No, it's not. You can "read the file" without removing that chip. Just like, for example, you can move a file off of your hard drive with a USB stick - there's no need to physically go in and pull out the hard drive.

As stated before: we do this over the OBD. Guys like EC have tools that can do this with pin connectors (though you still have to open the ECU, it's not even 10% as invasive as this mess).

There is ZERO need to physically remove the chip in this day and age, and guys like Todd at Proto can do it without leaving much in the way of evidence. This is a hack job.
Oh, I agree 100% that this is a complete hack job. I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue that. My only question regarding reading the OEM file or whatever current file was on it. I didnt realize that it was possible to read/copy the ECU map/file from the OBD port. I thought it was "push" only, not pull, so to speak.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
No, it's not. You can "read the file" without removing that chip. Just like, for example, you can move a file off of your hard drive with a USB stick - there's no need to physically go in and pull out the hard drive.

As stated before: we do this over the OBD. Guys like EC have tools that can do this with pin connectors (though you still have to open the ECU, it's not even 10% as invasive as this mess).

There is ZERO need to physically remove the chip in this day and age, and guys like Todd at Proto can do it without leaving much in the way of evidence. This is a hack job.
we have the same tools you do my friend, and only have to open the 63 series. All else is obd
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
We (and OE tuning) flash these cars over the OBD. No reason to open up the ECU.

You sure about that. I heard and have seen different on the latter.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by taurran
Note to self, don't try to manually disassemble circuitry on boards. Check.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by emoving
You sure about that. I heard and have seen different on the latter.
On a 55AMG? I am 100% certain.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Oh, I agree 100% that this is a complete hack job. I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue that. My only question regarding reading the OEM file or whatever current file was on it. I didnt realize that it was possible to read/copy the ECU map/file from the OBD port. I thought it was "push" only, not pull, so to speak.
You're correct. What I meant was that there was no reason to do anything to these cars that wasn't over the OBD port. Still, you can read the ECU on a bench without pulling the chip.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by loungn14
we have the same tools you do my friend, and only have to open the 63 series. All else is obd
Actually: no, you don't.

The Block Tuner doesn't tether the client to a PC and an internet connection when they want to swap files, the way your tool does. With a Block Tuner, a client can swap to a valet mode while he's dropping off his car at a garage, service bay, restaurant, etc. He can drive to the track, buy some race gas on a whim, and swap files. The Block Tuners have (on some models) data-logging capability. Etc., etc.

That's not a dig on Eurocharged's tool - after all, it's a cheaper tool (just $100). When you pay more for something (a Block Tuner is $495, $400 with a file) you expect more features, more benefits, and more convenience. The final difference is that it seems like your tool comes from overseas (I could be wrong - I said "it seems like ...") where our tool's final soldering and assembly is done in the USA. In Palatine, IL, actually. On Marcin's desk (below) about 2 feet from mine.

Jerry's a good tuner, Jake. Eurocharged has a good rep. and I've never seen fit to say anything negative about Eurocharged. Why you seem to be misleading people on this topic of OBD tools is beyond me - I hope this is a misunderstanding and you're just operating on bad intel.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG

The Block Tuner doesn't tether the client to a PC and an internet connection when they want to swap files, the way your tool does. With a Block Tuner, a client can swap to a valet mode while he's dropping off his car at a garage, service bay, restaurant, etc. He can drive to the track, buy some race gas on a whim, and swap files. The Block Tuners have (on some models) data-logging capability. Etc., etc.

That's not a dig on Eurocharged's tool - after all, it's a cheaper tool (just $100). When you pay more for something (a Block Tuner is $495, $400 with a file) you expect more features, more benefits, and more convenience. The final difference is that it seems like your tool comes from overseas (I could be wrong - I said "it seems like ...") where our tool's final soldering and assembly is done in the USA. In Palatine, IL, actually. On Marcin's desk (below) about 2 feet from mine.

Jerry's a good tuner, Jake. Eurocharged has a good rep. and I've never seen fit to say anything negative about Eurocharged. Why you seem to be misleading people on this topic of OBD tools is beyond me - I hope this is a misunderstanding and you're just operating on bad intel.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
holy crap that ECU got butchered. I'm very hesitant to send out my ECU. I'm glad to have waited for OE to come to the area and plugged the laptop to my car.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
I doubt there's anything to see here. Eurocharged are a class act - I'm sure this is a mistake on their part.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
SPONSOR

Hey Jo,

Actually I think we are on the same page....but yes yours is made here and ours is overseas...we also have the tuning cables as well that you were referencing that we sell more than anything. We just don't use/advertise the "obd flash booster" as mush as you and oe.

But I am however confused by your comment about misleading people? If you read my response again I said that I cannot speak for other tuners, but how we do things. Simple misunderstanding thats all.

Last edited by loungn14; 03-22-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by loungn14
But I am however confused by your comment about misleading people? If you read my response again I said that I cannot speak for other tuners, but how we do things. Simple misunderstanding thats all.

I just know that we're using different tools, so saying that it's the same tool was misleading ... maybe "confusing" is a less charged word. Also, that's not the tool you advertise (below) which is also confusing.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
SPONSOR

I just know that we're using different tools, so saying that it's the same tool was misleading ... maybe "confusing" is a less charged word. Also, that's not the tool you advertise (below) which is also confusing.

lol, ohhh gotcha. Ya we don't have the flashbooster tool on the website. We definitely do have the remote cable pictured there that does require people with a laptop etc. Its more geared toward people who only change their tune once in a great while.

Our website is definitely in need of a makeover!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything
Wow someone let that ecu out the door looking like that? I've seen flux left on chips/boards before, but this looks like someone left flux on the ecu then put a heat gun to it afterwards. I feel bad for the customer
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM

E63
Correction

To correct the misinformation that was posted previously. OE does in fact remove chips from boards, especially as pertains to the 55K series. I've seen it myself, along with dozens of others who have their tunes and will say the same.

Just because you two carry the OBD memory sticks doesn't mean they are used on all cars and again there are far too many MBW members alone that will attest to this.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by RStevens63
To correct the misinformation that was posted previously. OE does in fact remove chips from boards, especially as pertains to the 55K series. I've seen it myself, along with dozens of others who have their tunes and will say the same.

Just because you two carry the OBD memory sticks doesn't mean they are used on all cars and again there are far too many MBW members alone that will attest to this.
I really hope that's a mistake. I'd strongly recommend steering clear of tuners pulling chips from boards.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Not true on mine and a half dozen others I know using OE. Jeremy sends the flashing unit, and emails the file. You load her on and flash away. Works great for me! **edit to say that I bet he pulls the chip if people want to keep their stock tune so they can switch back or something. I defer to Speedriven and the other tuners as so why he might be still pulling chips. They are the experts.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I think you guys are talking about different times.... I take it back in the old days (2002-2004), many companies used to flash the ECU by taking the chip off. This probably included Kleemann, RENNtech, Powerchip, etc.... and since OE Tuning was part of Powerchip back then, it is possible that they used to do it back then.

However, I do know that nowadays OE Tuning does indeed flash using OBDII port and I've seen Jeremy flash many 55k cars in front of my own eyes without hacking into the ECU.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
We (and OE tuning) flash these cars over the OBD. No reason to open up the ECU.
OE Tuning physically took out my ECU and opened it to tune it as well as other C63's ive seen Jeremy tune personally.

I don't know if this is the case with the 55 AMG engines. Can you tune the E55 through OBD port with out taking out the ECU?

Last edited by _AMG_; 03-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM

E63
I really hope that's a mistake. I'd strongly recommend steering clear of tuners pulling chips from boards.
No mistake. I know they have the ability to flash OBD however they also still pull chips. Some of the most popular members on this forum have had this done in front of their eyes by them.

I agree, the practice is archaic. If you don't have the proper tools don't even bother trying to do the job.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by _AMG_
OE Tuning physically took out my ECU and opened it to tune it as well as other C63's ive seen Jeremy tune personally.

I don't know if this is the case with the 55 AMG engines. Can you tune the E55 through OBD port with out taking out the ECU?
"These cars" referred to 55 AMGs. Even with the 63s, however, there is no reason to pull the chip from the board to re-solder that I have seen.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by RStevens63
No mistake. I know they have the ability to flash OBD however they also still pull chips. Some of the most popular members on this forum have had this done in front of their eyes by them.

I agree, the practice is archaic. If you don't have the proper tools don't even bother trying to do the job.
Why risk it if you have the proper tools, though? Something's not making sense. Pulling the chips is so 2004.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I think you guys are talking about different times.... I take it back in the old days (2002-2004), many companies used to flash the ECU by taking the chip off. This probably included Kleemann, RENNtech, Powerchip, etc.... and since OE Tuning was part of Powerchip back then, it is possible that they used to do it back then.

However, I do know that nowadays OE Tuning does indeed flash using OBDII port and I've seen Jeremy flash many 55k cars in front of my own eyes without hacking into the ECU.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Umm I think people are talking about different things. The ability to pull a stock file from the ECU, then change it with something like WINOLS or CMDFLASH etc is one thing. Having a tool for your customers to self flash is another. Starting from a virgin file is really only important when you are creating a tune for the first time or starting from somebody's elses work( ie verifying where you are starting from). Most tuners will simply look at your mods, then find an appropriately tuned file he already has for those mods and flash that as a starting point. From there you can dynotune and make modifications as required..

Having a tool to send it to your customers when you are not there with a Dimmsport unit is a different thing then having the ability to pull out of the ME2.8 a base file. I too was under the impression that the ME2.8 was flash only through the port...Might be tool dependant though.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM

c200k
I guess there's a Zickekrieg going on in here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Butchered ECU, Motor Lost - Be Careful Out There (pics)