W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I'm officially depressed...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Just to let you know I was not trying to be funny about double checking the second torque wrench. Hope you did not think me rude,,,,,,,,, just covering all possibilities as I would not want anyone to go through more pain, especially replacing major engine conponents, just for a pulley.

I cant quote for a fact but someone must be able to confirm the issue, is it really possible for the soft alluminium material pulley to spin for a short enough amount of time which wears down the hard steel crankshaft that much?
I didn't take what you said as being rude, but I honestly just can't imagine my luck to be so bad that both torque wrenches are bad. One of them being new. I didn't take it the wrong way though.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WayneE
When I installed a supercharger on my C5, I pinned the crank using the Vortech supplied kit.

Not sure if it's an option at this point. Can you remove the pulley and post up pics of the bolt, snout, keyway and inside of the pulley?

And I think sknight was just throwing down some tough love. You guys ragging on him need thicker skin. He's not kicking the guy, he's telling him what he believes to be the correct way to fix this problem. He's throwing out his opinion. The OP doesn't have to follow any of the advice given.
I'll take pics when I get home.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Seriously? The fact that my first wrench was screwed up was a scapegoat? Wow.
The wrench wasn't the only issue. You even posted how you noticed the crank wobbling when you first ran the engine, but continued to run it anyhow. You presented it, but failed to make the connection that this was a massive warning sign. Now you have a new torque wrench, a new pulley, a new bolt, new keyway, then the same thing happens. The common denominator is you, yet you will not take the car to an expert. Instead, you look for goals that are many steps ahead of getting the car back together and are getting further away. Again, you need to have an expert examine everything, which is still something you fail to do. You're focused on solutions and steps beyond solutions without finding the cause of the issues, despite having a new torque wrench, new pulley, new bolt, new key.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sknight
The wrench wasn't the only issue. You even posted how you noticed the crank wobbling when you first ran the engine, but continued to run it anyhow. You presented it, but failed to make the connection that this was a massive warning sign. Now you have a new torque wrench, a new pulley, a new bolt, new keyway, then the same thing happens. The common denominator is you, yet you will not take the car to an expert. Instead, you look for goals that are many steps ahead of getting the car back together and are getting further away. Again, you need to have an expert examine everything, which is still something you fail to do. You're focused on solutions and steps beyond solutions without finding the cause of the issues, despite having a new torque wrench, new pulley, new bolt, new key.
Do a search on pulley wobble and get back to me on how many have had it with zero issues. It had a slight wobbled, but didn't think anything of it due to the fact that a lot of people have had the same wobble with no issues.

Regardless, it's pointless to continue arguing with you. I got my new parallel key which is going to span the entire length of the crank pulley ( unlike the oem key which only goes about 1/4 the length ). Well see how this goes.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM

c200k
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Do a search on pulley wobble and get back to me on how many have had it with zero issues. It had a slight wobbled, but didn't think anything of it due to the fact that a lot of people have had the same wobble with no issues.

Regardless, it's pointless to continue arguing with you. I got my new parallel key which is going to span the entire length of the crank pulley ( unlike the oem key which only goes about 1/4 the length ). Well see how this goes.
So you're telling us the manufacturer of your pulley is at fault? You had problems now with two pulleys of theirs, have you not?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sknight
So you're telling us the manufacturer of your pulley is at fault? You had problems now with two pulleys of theirs, have you not?
Where does it say that in my post? Stop putting words in my mouth....I have nothing further to add.

I already found a long parallel key, next stop...grinding the crank snout.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
In defense of GT-ER, and to educate the unknowing about experts in P.R. I had a beautiful 1976 280C 5 speed and one of the rails for the timing chain broke. So I bought all the necessary parts and took the car to an "expert". I pick the car up and it overheats on the way home. The "expert" broke the radiator, left lots of bolts off, had all the valves (M110) at 0 lash etc. I ended up redoing all the work myself. Certainly we have some brilliant mechanics in P.R. but most of them are owners that work on their own cars out of necessity and for the love of their automobiles. Perhaps things are different in other parts of the world. The only difficult part of this is learning on an AMG which can be expensive. BTW, I do all the work on my SRT-6 which an AMG dressed in a Marssoto.

Les
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
Huge bummer -- I hope you get it fixed this time around -- It is really a curse to have it go wrong one time -- let alone twice.

We knocked mine out rather easily... and its no wonder you would tackle the job yourself. Its simple.

On the other hand my friend had a shop destroy his -- and he had to do a redo at another shop -- It can be a pain in the ***.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Todd Edge
EC pullies are hardened metal, much more so than the OEM hub pulley's. This is why you have to torque them to 275 ft/lbs + 90 degree turn.
I'd measure the crank snout to check for wear.

Regards,
Todd
Did that installation info come directly from EC? If so, it's germaine to the OP's issue and paramount that he follow EC's guidance for their product, as it is significantly greater than the OEM spec.

275 ft/lbs (373 Nm) is a huge amount of torque to apply, and it's only the first step. Getting that 90* turn after already applying 275 ft/lbs to the bolt must be a real bear (since the OEM instructions of ~150 ft/lbs plus 90 already is). I'd probably use the strongest breaker bar I could find, and slip a solid 6' steel pipe over it, to try and attempt that last quarter turn.