W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200k
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Anybody else notice this guy has nothing helpful to say ...ever! We hear you..... Nobody but MB techs should work these cars........ and they should only be driven on the Autobahn! Why don't you save everybody the trouble of reading your constant negative attacks or attempts to come off as an authority on the engineering on these cars.

Since you don't think a parallel key or pinning the crank is acceptable, what is your solution? Have you ever personally dealt with this type of issue before? What do you think the MB solution would be for this? They would tell you to replace the motor. Dealerships techs are parts changers, thats it ( some good innovative guys like MBTEK are out there thankfully). You seem to bash the common aftermarket solution to this type of problem, an aftermarket which is responsible for some incredible feats of engineering. Look no further than the Texas Mile thread for proof of what aftermarket engineers are capable of.

You sit there and criticize tempts to come up with a creative solution to a problem that this guy is going through. If you don't have anything helpful to add screw off already...
HEY! It's take it too far after joining a thread way late and not knowing anything guy. Say hello!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
You were probably thinking that if the metal expanded it would close the hole slightly?
Exactly. Thanks guys for clearing up what seemed counter-intuitive to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by sknight
HEY! It's take it too far after joining a thread way late and not knowing anything guy. Say hello!
Funny! Seems I posted twice in this thread offering encouragement and support of the idea based on actual experience I have had installing aftermarket superchargers on LS motors, BEFORE you started your usual negative BS.

But hey, you live in East Germany and know some ****'s with pretty strong opinions about these cars and their uses, so please continue your helpful ways....
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Im sick of his negative attitude also.its getting old...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM

M3
just a thought, but if you're out of balance you may develop crank walk and have a lot bigger issues.....I'm very interested so see how this works out for you
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM

c200k
Funny! Seems I posted twice in this thread offering encouragement and support of the idea based on actual experience I have had installing aftermarket superchargers on LS motors, BEFORE you started your usual negative BS.

But hey, you live in East Germany and know some ****'s with pretty strong opinions about these cars and their uses, so please continue your helpful ways....
Are you suggesting I'm a ****? If so, I suggest being more direct about it. This might end up going somewhere you may not have financial resources to get out of. I suggest you look into Germany's Verbotgesetz, as well as the laws on accusing someone of being a ****. Violations of which, as well as an unanswered summons are entered into the Schengen Registry anytime you decide you might want to stop over in any country out here.

My advice is to either prove your assertion, or delete your post. I'm sure site management is not interested in dealing with such a headache on their end over a few, unclassy, and baseless words typed without thinking.

Last edited by sknight; 03-29-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Easy, not everyone understands Germans. I don't pretend to either but I will never forget an exchange I had with some German University students.
Why do you do it this way?
"Because it's the best way."
How do you know it's the best way?
"Because we do it this way."
It's the best way because you do it this way?
"Germans only do things the best way, if it wasn't the best way, we wouldn't do it this way."
So, the German way is the only way because it's the best way?
"There's no other way."

Les

Let's try and stay on topic ..... which apply's to me too. This is about pulley's after all.

Last edited by Velociabstract; 03-29-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Are you suggesting I'm a ****? If so, I suggest being more direct about it. This might end up going somewhere you may not have financial resources to get out of. I suggest you look into Germany's Verbotgesetz, as well as the laws on accusing someone of being a ****. Violations of which, as well as an unanswered summons are entered into the Schengen Registry anytime you decide you might want to stop over in any country out here.

My advice is to either prove your assertion, or delete your post. I'm sure site management is not interested in dealing with such a headache on their end over a few, unclassy, and baseless words typed without thinking.

Damn *****.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Just ignore him....

So, what the status? I am anxious to see how this turns out. With the time it took you to cut a key slot in a crank, I figured you would done by now.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Okay...I've installed everything...drove for 20 minutes and checked to pulley. It's still on.

Then I did 3 WOT runs in 2nd. It's still on. LOL.

I'm gonna let the car cool a bit and wash it. Later on I'll do another LONG run. Cross your fingers....I know I will.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
WayneE. That's funny right there. (said in my best "Larry the cable Guy" dialect)
Back on topic; As quickly as Get Er moves, how is she running?
SKnight. Please buy a BMW and move over to those forums.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Okay...I've installed everything...drove for 20 minutes and checked to pulley. It's still on.

I'm gonna let the car cool a bit and wash it. Later on I'll do another LONG run. Cross your fingers....I know I will.
Great!

Check, double check, and triple check.

And continue to check - I do believe that I'd watch for crankwalk just in case.

So glad to hear that you have a car that's drivable again!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic

No, he was referencing a post that you made about not even looking like a Turk and that ***** would stab you for driving an E55. This was of course in another thread where you consistently trolled the OP while giving Oliverk a dutch rudder.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM

E55 AMG

GREAT job!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt

This Guy.......

OT so far so good - best of luck seems like its ok so far hopefully stays that way - good effort on attempting to fix the solution yourself. Keep us posted.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor
WayneE. That's funny right there. (said in my best "Larry the cable Guy" dialect)
Back on topic; As quickly as Get Er moves, how is she running?
SKnight. Please buy a BMW and move over to those forums.

If we stop posting, the ***** win.

(Please don't turn me in to the German authorities.)

GT-ER - good news, man.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Great!

Check, double check, and triple check.

And continue to check - I do believe that I'd watch for crankwalk just in case.

So glad to hear that you have a car that's drivable again!
Yes! It started to rain so I guess no more testing for me tonight. I'm going to remove the radiator shroud again and re-torque the bolt to the 275ft-lbs to see if it's even slightly loose ( at 275 it should even budge or if it budges it should be VERY slight considering that the first torque was 275+90* ). In any case I'd expect it to perhaps loosen slightly due to the torque being placed on the pulley by the SC helping to pulley seat properly against the key which could theoretically slightly loosen the bolt. In the bolt is considerably loose then I may have to spot weld it to the damper to keep it from creeping.

I know that as long as that bolt is tight, that key should hold anything I can throw at it.

BTW- I'm using the 180mm pulley. While the car feels FAST....I'm not quite convinced it feels 500whp fast ( That is IF I have 500whp, I have Kleeman headers, no cats, K&Ns, 180mm Pulley, larger heat exchanger, and an out of the box Jerry tune ).

I could have air trapped in my intercooler since I haven't really bled it due to the pulley issues.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM

SRT-6
I only have a pulley ..... and not a crank pulley, but I was slower with it. More wheel spin. I usually go to the Predator Performance dyno after making changes to my car to see the results in black and white. A dyno day is coming up you know. $30.00 for 3 pulls. I hope to see you there.

Les
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Glad to hear that, so far, things are going well!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition

LOL!!! Yeah, good luck getting that lawsuit filed
Lighten up FRANCIS
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP

Oh noes.... someone on the internets is threatening a lawsuit against me...I am so worried now....Based on this and your post history to date I would say your are about 17, going on dickwad. You're like M3Driver and Jangy all rolled up into one special ( as in the retarded kind ) package.

I suggest YOU look up the Canadian law rulings of Likma Balwz n Stuufeh. Or society is founded on it and if you ever step foot on Canadian soil a beaver will try to skullf.uck some sense into you. Though I pitty the poor beaver in your case.

As BenzoDoc so quickly pointed out I was referencing YOUR OWN idotic rant about ***** attacking you in Dresden and Czech/Polish theives who will steal your car. In the same thread that you went on about how the opinion of Germans around you was so much more valued than US the people who actually own these cars.

While I hate the fact that I have to take posts off topic like this, I feel it my duty to the community here to make useless commenters like you understand your negative opinions on topics you know nothing about is not wanted. Since its unlikely you can tell a cockshaft from a crankshaft please go away.

To GT-ER:

Fantastic work brother. I feel you did the right thing based on the situation at hand. I beleive this will be a good fix, and you have done a great service to the board by posting your efforts in a transparent and detailed manner. Their are members who needed to replace whole motors at costs of 10K+ due to this same issue. This info might save someone else from having to spend like that in the future. Goes to show some determination and a little clever thinking beats deep pockets everythime.

Thanks and Good luck
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Oh noes.... someone on the internets is threatening a lawsuit against me...I am so worried now....Based on this and your post history to date I would say your are about 17, going on dickwad. You're like M3Driver and Jangy all rolled up into one special ( as in the retarded kind ) package.

I suggest YOU look up the Canadian law rulings of Likma Balwz n Stuufeh. Or society is founded on it and if you ever step foot on Canadian soil a beaver will try to skullf.uck some sense into you. Though I pitty the poor beaver in your case.

As BenzoDoc so quickly pointed out I was referencing YOUR OWN idotic rant about ***** attacking you in Dresden and Czech/Polish theives who will steal your car. In the same thread that you went on about how the opinion of Germans around you was so much more valued than US the people who actually own these cars.

While I hate the fact that I have to take posts off topic like this, I feel it my duty to the community here to make useless commenters like you understand your negative opinions on topics you know nothing about is not wanted. Since its unlikely you can tell a cockshaft from a crankshaft please go away.

To GT-ER:

Fantastic work brother. I feel you did the right thing based on the situation at hand. I beleive this will be a good fix, and you have done a great service to the board by posting your efforts in a transparent and detailed manner. Their are members who needed to replace whole motors at costs of 10K+ due to this same issue. This info might save someone else from having to spend like that in the future. Goes to show some determination and a little clever thinking beats deep pockets everythime.

Thanks and Good luck

Thanks to you and everyone else who has given me support. I'm obviously not out of the water yet, but I just took the radiator shroud off, locked the torque converter, and torqued it to 275ft-lbs and the bolt didn't budge at all. The entire check took me less than 30 minutes too which is a record for me ( I've done it about 5 times already in the past week or so...LOL ).
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660

Great news and great job!
If that bolt moves even a mm, something is not right. With the +90 deg, 275 shouldn't even touch it.
Is the crank snout tapered or straight? Just curious and have been wondering. Looks straight in the pics.

Also, you may have just saved many people from tearing cranks out. I believe this will be a viable future fix for many lost pulleys.

Of course there will be some who poo poo the idea, only because it wasn't done in a cleanroom, with precision tools and a trained Merc mechanic. Let them spend $$$$$$ on their repairs.

Bill

Edit: you beat my response.... Great to hear!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Does the new pulley wobble at all now?can you make a video of it running?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 PM

E55 AMG
Crickets from the sknight camp.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...