W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by wsybert
Great news and great job!
If that bolt moves even a mm, something is not right. With the +90 deg, 275 shouldn't even touch it.
Is the crank snout tapered or straight? Just curious and have been wondering. Looks straight in the pics.

Also, you may have just saved many people from tearing cranks out. I believe this will be a viable future fix for many lost pulleys.

Of course there will be some who poo poo the idea, only because it wasn't done in a cleanroom, with precision tools and a trained Merc mechanic. Let them spend $$$$$$ on their repairs.

Bill

Edit: you beat my response.... Great to hear!
The crank snout is tapered, just not enough that you can see the taper with your eyes. You would need a micrometer for that.

That's one thing I've always hated, when people think it's impossible to do something without dishing out the big bucks and letting a rockety scientist work on your car. I still can't say that what I did worked until I give it some time and abuse...but for now it sure does seem better than the alternative ( a $10K engine or a $3K crankshaft swap ).

Originally Posted by skratch77
Does the new pulley wobble at all now?can you make a video of it running?
Just barely...to the point of it being barely noticeable. And only when I shine my super bright LED light at it ( can't see the wobble with just the surrounding light. It has a LOT less than it did the times I had it before, and quite frankly with all the damage done I'm not surprised it not 100% true. I'm already tucked in right now so I'd have to get a video tomorrow or something.

Then again, even my oem pulley had slight wobble. Just barely visible to the eye.

Last edited by GT-ER; 03-30-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by sknight
HEY! It's take it too far after joining a thread way late and not knowing anything guy. Say hello!
This guy even have a 55k? Like why are you posting here screw off..

Originally Posted by GT-ER
Okay...I've installed everything...drove for 20 minutes and checked to pulley. It's still on.

Then I did 3 WOT runs in 2nd. It's still on. LOL.

I'm gonna let the car cool a bit and wash it. Later on I'll do another LONG run. Cross your fingers....I know I will.
So glad to hear it's good so far! I can totally see my self in this situation.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
My ASP has a slight wobble as did my OEM pulley, it's so slight it doesn't show up on a video.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Turbo 6
My ASP has a slight wobble as did my OEM pulley, it's so slight it doesn't show up on a video.
Same here, ASP 185mm. Though I think some of it is just be the engine rocking on its mounts and the big pulley is just the most visable thing to notice it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by benz_addict
This guy even have a 55k? Like why are you posting here screw off..
who cares? maybe he builds the engines for AMG but drives a C200. Maybe he's an award winning engine designer. Maybe he works at a mercedes repair facility.

There are plenty of 55k owners that wouldn't know a wrist pin from a valve spring, and plenty of non owners that have more engine knowledge than most of us put together.

The E55k is not built from pixie dust. Its a very very basic supercharged V8. There is no magic. The physics of engines and crank dampners don't care what the badge is.

From what I've seen, what the OP did is a magnificent way to take a chunk out of the crank if the key is not an absolutely perfect fit. I should know, it happened to my own supercharged V8.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
From what I've seen, what the OP did is a magnificent way to take a chunk out of the crank if the key is not an absolutely perfect fit. I should know, it happened to my own supercharged V8.
Please elaborate on this? My key was ultra snug fwiw.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
who cares? maybe he builds the engines for AMG but drives a C200. Maybe he's an award winning engine designer. Maybe he works at a mercedes repair facility.

There are plenty of 55k owners that wouldn't know a wrist pin from a valve spring, and plenty of non owners that have more engine knowledge than most of us put together.

The E55k is not built from pixie dust. Its a very very basic supercharged V8. There is no magic. The physics of engines and crank dampners don't care what the badge is.

Or maybe he's some dumb kid prentending he knows something on the internet, who has yet to offer a single helpful thing to say in any post he has made or offered any support for why his opinion should matter to anyone?

At least you seem to have some experience with high performance cars and I can respect some of your opinions based on that experience( though you seem to have alittle bit more of a hate on for AMG's). I concur that AMG's are not made with Unicorn *****, and is mechanically functional the same as any other positive displacement OEM supercharged V8. But the engineering and parts quality of AMG is definately superior to standard Benz models. Its a simple fact.

However what I can't stand is people who are not offering positive solutions to problem. Telling someone "your wrong", then not offering a better solution or any support as to why your opinion matters in the least is worth less than **** in my books.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
But the engineering and parts quality of AMG is definately superior to standard Benz models. Its a simple fact.
hmm, now thats interesting.

how do you come to this conclusion?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660

I see where your going with this question...and you are probably right. AMG most likely pulls standard OE parts from a bin, and hand assembles them, to call it an AMG. Theres most likely no additional engineering or parts modifications, other than larger pistons and a supercharger. Why would they need to be better than stock E500 parts, they are practically the same engine, with just a few more HP.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP

How's Simple observation?

I'll give you a few simple examples:
Brakes: Larger Hubs, 380mm two peice floating rotors( on my P030 car anyway- same tech originally used on McLaren F1) 8 piston brembo calipers,

Supension: larger diameter shocks, stronger bellows on airmatic,different programming, Sway bars are bigger, end links are bigger

Driveline: Different TCM programming for TC lockup and Valve body solenoid pressures. Differential in an AMG Car is 215mm ring gear vs 210mm in non amgs- Axles are bigger diameter too

Engine: Hand built by single tech to exactly tolerances and thuroughly tested...do I really need to go on to the parts differences?

All those parts and processes were engineered for higher strength and stress purposes for better performance...how do you not see that?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
I see where your going with this question...and you are probably right. AMG most likely pulls standard OE parts from a bin, and hand assembles them, to call it an AMG. Theres most likely no additional engineering or parts modifications, other than larger pistons and a supercharger. Why would they need to be better than stock E500 parts, they are practically the same engine, with just a few more HP.

Not true at all. Unless what you mean is that they are using parts made in a factory, but we are talking symantics now. AMG uses Hypereutectic Pistons vs regualr cast. Forged steel rods, Differen valve train, different head castings. Not sure about the block or not I know know for sure the above are the all different.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Not true at all. Unless what you mean is that they are using parts made in a factory, but we are talking symantics now. AMG uses Hypereutectic Pistons vs regualr cast. Forged steel rods, Differen valve train, different head castings. Not sure about the block or not I know know for sure the above are the all different.
I was being very sarcastic.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Bicycle
Yes! It started to rain so I guess no more testing for me tonight. I'm going to remove the radiator shroud again and re-torque the bolt to the 275ft-lbs to see if it's even slightly loose ( at 275 it should even budge or if it budges it should be VERY slight considering that the first torque was 275+90* ). In any case I'd expect it to perhaps loosen slightly due to the torque being placed on the pulley by the SC helping to pulley seat properly against the key which could theoretically slightly loosen the bolt. In the bolt is considerably loose then I may have to spot weld it to the damper to keep it from creeping.

I know that as long as that bolt is tight, that key should hold anything I can throw at it.

BTW- I'm using the 180mm pulley. While the car feels FAST....I'm not quite convinced it feels 500whp fast ( That is IF I have 500whp, I have Kleeman headers, no cats, K&Ns, 180mm Pulley, larger heat exchanger, and an out of the box Jerry tune ).

I could have air trapped in my intercooler since I haven't really bled it due to the pulley issues.
If your use to fast cars then 500 whp on a 4200 pound car will feel....odd for the lack of a better word
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Congrats man. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
If your use to fast cars then 500 whp on a 4200 pound car will feel....odd for the lack of a better word
Funny you say that, that's what drew me to these cars. Although I must say after modding mine, it's actually starting to bore me. Didn't take much effort on my part to reach my goal. Easiest car I've modded.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sneakyneon

I guess you are right. I had a VW GTI with 425whp and it weighed 2900lbs. That would be like my E with 600whp.

I'm kinda worried about the pulley wobble. It's not bad but I know it's not good. I don't think I can do anything about it though since I've installed it more than once and it's always wobbled. I have to measure the runout but I'd bet it would touch 1mm.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
I'm kinda worried about the pulley wobble. It's not bad but I know it's not good. I don't think I can do anything about it though since I've installed it more than once and it's always wobbled. I have to measure the runout but I'd bet it would touch 1mm.
Post a video of the pulley.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Post a video of the pulley.
I'll do it tomorrow morning when theris enough sunlight or maybe the lamp I have at home is good enough. I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
How's Simple observation?

I'll give you a few simple examples:
Brakes: Larger Hubs, 380mm two peice floating rotors( on my P030 car anyway- same tech originally used on McLaren F1) 8 piston brembo calipers,

Supension: larger diameter shocks, stronger bellows on airmatic,different programming, Sway bars are bigger, end links are bigger

Driveline: Different TCM programming for TC lockup and Valve body solenoid pressures. Differential in an AMG Car is 215mm ring gear vs 210mm in non amgs- Axles are bigger diameter too

Engine: Hand built by single tech to exactly tolerances and thuroughly tested...do I really need to go on to the parts differences?

All those parts and processes were engineered for higher strength and stress purposes for better performance...how do you not see that?
Gentlemen, there is no better part quality or better engineering. They simply select parts that are better able to cope with higher power or performance. That doesn't make it better, it simply makes it different.

For example, lets say MB specs one piston for an AMG that is forged (not that they are, but its a hypothetical). It can withstand more power than the hyper piston in the standard car, but you get piston slap when cold. The standard piston is dead quiet at all times, and is perfectly fine for the power level.

Which piston is better engineered or higher quality? Neither, they are two parts that serve two distinct needs.

Hand built by a single tech means nothing. I'd rather have a machine assemble my engine every day of the week. People make mistakes all the time. Do you want to be the guy who gets Hans' engine after he had a fight with his wife, or had a few beers at lunch, or has a cold, etc etc.

Quite frankly sir, you may want to inform yourself further.

Just about every single vehicle manufactured today has hypereutectic piston...unless you have a credible source who says they are "regular cast", its pretty clear that they are hyper pistons. Furthermore, hyper pistons are great for one thing...they are quiet as **** because they don't expand nearly as much as standard pistons. But hyper pistons are also very brittle. A few seconds of detonation will hole a hyper piston like nobodies business. The question is, why aren't the AMG's forged.

Now...This is a description of the M113, not the M113k:

At the heart of the engine is a forged steel crankshaft, which is bolted to a pressure cast aluminum block. The crankshaft has the standard V8 five main bearings. The two end caps are four bolt mains, while the center three have six bolt caps. Hollow, forged steel connecting rods are bolted to the crankshaft. Aluminum pistons top off the rods, while a lightweight aluminum oil pan buttons up the bottom end.

http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/engd.html

So, now would you care to recant?

Last edited by Quadcammer; 03-30-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Wow, you know a lot...and ...who cares.

Also, what does this have to do with the thread topic? Enough already.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
Gentlemen, there is no better part quality or better engineering. They simply select parts that are better able to cope with higher power or performance. That doesn't make it better, it simply makes it different.
Let me give you a pictorial representation of this comment.........Trust me just because one is different, one is actually better.

Attached Thumbnails For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...-siobhan-parekh-blue-bikini-bikini-se-b.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
You didnt mention it but you need to get a tune with that size pulley -- unlike smaller pullies where it is optional ---- that large pulley must have a tune in order to get anywhere near its potential because the ECU will kill it after 4000rpms--- At least thats what i use to read in the forums -- something like that
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by guysandiego
You didnt mention it but you need to get a tune with that size pulley -- unlike smaller pullies where it is optional ---- that large pulley must have a tune in order to get anywhere near its potential because the ECU will kill it after 4000rpms--- At least thats what i use to read in the forums -- something like that
I mentioned it...I have a jerry tune.

I made a video but between my hands shaking and the car shaking it's kinda hard to see what's going on and the pulley looks straight. I need more light.

Regardless, I just did two 40-110mph pulls with zero issues. I'm gonna continue using the car this week and this weekend I'm going to pull the damper off to make sure the key is holding up and it's not causing any off wear and tear.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 PM

2005 E55,172 pulley, H/E, shorty headers. 1985 280sl euro
Check the pulley at 1200 rpm. My 172mm has a slight wobble at idle but perfect at 1200 rpm.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Lee6082
Check the pulley at 1200 rpm. My 172mm has a slight wobble at idle but perfect at 1200 rpm.
I'm pretty sure your wobble doesn't go away...It's probably just an illusion due to the higher speeds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: For anyone who has had there pulleys come off...