W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

KW V2 Coil-overs E55 (Build Thread)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Thank you for your thoughts.
word.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
ANYTIME, I have ANY problems with her, I don't hesitate to call them because I know they'll take care of it. They are usually able to figure what the problem is VERY quickly
Haha. Most of the time they can figure it out over the phone. There was one time the dealership couldn't figure out the problem, I gave him a call and he knew what it was over the phone.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The guys that have done the work on my car have been around for quite a while. There are quite a number of people on here that have either have their cars worked on by them or have had direct contact in getting hardware/information for their rides through them also. A few vendors/sponsors on here know them also. They are the guys who have helped my car become what it is today. They are my go to guys and they know my car better than I do. ANYTIME, I have ANY problems with her, I don't hesitate to call them because I know they'll take care of it. They are usually able to figure what the problem is VERY quickly since they did all the work on the car. You could consider my car as their shop car. We are always trying new things here and there with them.

I completely agree that many on here will not pay a premium on the "kit" of needed parts, don't quote me on it, but I don't think they plan on adding any benz taxes on the needed hardware. Like I said, don't quote me on it. I'm about to go down to the shop in a few days for some maint. stuff so I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks again for always givin me a positive outlook.
In that case I understand. I just didn't realize they did alot of work and were friendly and helpful. They sound like a good shop. It kind of sucks for some on here though who are not from the US because maybe one shop does a better job than the next. Car's like the import japs have had a long history and popularity with shops so it's too hard to find a place to do it. For Merc's though it's kind of hard to trust someone with a "first time" job risking the car becoming immobile for a while, especially if you do use it as a daily driver.

Anyways great build and keep us updated on any more handling parts. You mentioned the car was still a boat on the track and road. Is that with the stiffest setting and how's the body roll and grip? Feeling like a "boat" is a bit vague lol.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
Haha. Most of the time they can figure it out over the phone. There was one time the dealership couldn't figure out the problem, I gave him a call and he knew what it was over the phone.

Originally Posted by e500slr
In that case I understand. I just didn't realize they did alot of work and were friendly and helpful. They sound like a good shop. It kind of sucks for some on here though who are not from the US because maybe one shop does a better job than the next. Car's like the import japs have had a long history and popularity with shops so it's too hard to find a place to do it. For Merc's though it's kind of hard to trust someone with a "first time" job risking the car becoming immobile for a while, especially if you do use it as a daily driver.

Anyways great build and keep us updated on any more handling parts. You mentioned the car was still a boat on the track and road. Is that with the stiffest setting and how's the body roll and grip? Feeling like a "boat" is a bit vague lol.
I think the car will forever be a "boat". It is 4k lbs. + after all . Compared to my first track experience with the car at buttonwillow, the car is world's apart with the coils. It handles A LOT better compared to before, but it still has a LONG way to go before being considered anywhere "good". Of course I know this is the wrong car to track but I figured why not try it out and see how far I can push a heavy azz benzo around a track.

I have the stiffness set to 14 out of 18 settings possible. 0 being the softest and 18 being the stiffest. Body roll is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced and grip is only as good as the tires. I take the first lap pretty easy to warm up the tires and give it hell until I start feeling brake fade. Usually 3-4 laps after. I'm going to upgrading to 2-piece rotors along with trying out a more performance oriented brake fluid and R-compounds. I've been running Nitto NT-05's and they are great but I do begin to slide after a few laps because the tires can't handle the weight of my fat car. Going to try either the Toyo R888 or Nitto NT-01's. I have to make the brake fluid will work with the car also. I hope it does
Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
I have the stiffness set to 14 out of 18 settings possible. 0 being the softest and 18 being the stiffest. Body roll is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced and grip is only as good as the tires. I take the first lap pretty easy to warm up the tires and give it hell until I start feeling brake fade. Usually 3-4 laps after. I'm going to upgrading to 2-piece rotors along with trying out a more performance oriented brake fluid and R-compounds. I've been running Nitto NT-05's and they are great but I do begin to slide after a few laps because the tires can't handle the weight of my fat car. Going to try either the Toyo R888 or Nitto NT-01's. I have to make the brake fluid will work with the car also. I hope it does
I can't wait to see how it performs after those upgrades!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 PM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660

I think the car will forever be a "boat". It is 4k lbs. + after all . Compared to my first track experience with the car at buttonwillow, the car is world's apart with the coils. It handles A LOT better compared to before, but it still has a LONG way to go before being considered anywhere "good". Of course I know this is the wrong car to track but I figured why not try it out and see how far I can push a heavy azz benzo around a track.

What brake pad are you using? If you are experiencing fade and still have a firm pedal, then you will need pads, not fluid. If the pedal starts becoming soft or squishy, then it's the fluid. Try some track pads and keep the rotors you have. Try ATE SL6 fluid if you decide to change it.

I run Hawk HT10 pads on my track car, and love them. Once you bed them, they are fantastic. I am running a completely stock brake setup on my BMW and ATE Type 200 fluid, and I push it hard into corners. Never had fade or loss of pedal. I will say, that on my 911, when I first started going to the track, that even with a good setup, technique was important. I was braking way to early and heating up the system. Once I started braking more efficiently, that all changed. Sorry if this is old news to you, just trying to help.

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63

Yes but see I'm still not understanding what "boat" is. My stock E55 with Airmatic feeling "airy" but I can still turn into street (90degree) at ~40mph with no real drama. By the way I thought the coilovers shedded 100 pounds with the pumps and all four corners? The thing is, is the chassis on this car that bad. Why did Mercedes make it so bad? The thing is the M5 weighs the same, never driven one but people say it's sharp and precise compared to the E55. Now I don't track my car so I don't really know how it is on a circuit but when I see the M5s in videos they have ALOT of bodyroll. I'm also pretty sure stock cornering Gs are less than .90g which isn't exactly Nissan GT-R or 911 Turbo territory. People say the ZR1 has grip and precise steering but doesn't "handle" well. I think they mean while the car has grip it's not as predictable than say a car with less grip but more forgiving. So is that what you mean by boat? People are making out the E55 to handle worse than 60s muscle cars and Toyota Camrys!!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Originally Posted by e500slr
Yes but see I'm still not understanding what "boat" is. My stock E55 with Airmatic feeling "airy" but I can still turn into street (90degree) at ~40mph with no real drama. By the way I thought the coilovers shedded 100 pounds with the pumps and all four corners? The thing is, is the chassis on this car that bad. Why did Mercedes make it so bad? The thing is the M5 weighs the same, never driven one but people say it's sharp and precise compared to the E55. Now I don't track my car so I don't really know how it is on a circuit but when I see the M5s in videos they have ALOT of bodyroll. I'm also pretty sure stock cornering Gs are less than .90g which isn't exactly Nissan GT-R or 911 Turbo territory. People say the ZR1 has grip and precise steering but doesn't "handle" well. I think they mean while the car has grip it's not as predictable than say a car with less grip but more forgiving. So is that what you mean by boat? People are making out the E55 to handle worse than 60s muscle cars and Toyota Camrys!!
I was beginning to wonder about that myself. My e55 isnt an Enzo but in the sports setting provides high grip and decent handling. Isn't the term 'boat' is a bit of an exageration?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by OK55
I was beginning to wonder about that myself. My e55 isnt an Enzo but in the sports setting provides high grip and decent handling. Isn't the term 'boat' is a bit of an exageration?
nah. boat is about right. now, if you're comparing it to a range rover, well then. but if you're comparing it to anything that qualifies to do duty as track day entertainment, then the e55 is very much a boat. that's the key. track duty. the e55 is not at all ready for track sessions. the brakes get too hot too quick, and the tires will be junk in no time at all. too big, too heavy.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Yeah, even in the sport 2 setting my E55 doesn't give me the confidence my Infiniti G35 did or my VW GTI. For some reason the term "boat" really does describe it pretty good. I just don't feel confident with it.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Yeah, even in the sport 2 setting my E55 doesn't give me the confidence my Infiniti G35 did or my VW GTI. For some reason the term "boat" really does describe it pretty good. I just don't feel confident with it.
There is an upgrade you can do for that, from the CLS55.
But they are better in the handling department from the get, esp if they have the 030 package
Old 06-12-2011, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
There is an upgrade you can do for that, from the CLS55.
But they are better in the handling department from the get, esp if they have the 030 package
Really? Do tell.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
The CLS is stiffer and the tires are wider but it's noticeably heavier and slower. It has less seats and is longer. Plus even the CLS boys have said they feel like the car is a boat.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG (2006), Mercedes 560 SEL (1991)
Benzoboi,
Congrats on the results thus far. Just a quick one, roughly how much weight do you reckon the conversion has saved?
Brgds
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
MJ50 did the AMG contingent proud during a recent Buttonwillow track day. He showed the quick way around to several modified BMWs.
nlpamg’s stout (and well-driven) M5 was, in fact, just a blink faster.

Trust we’ll see you out there mixing it up again soon. :y

Old 07-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
more pics john...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Reviving an ancient thread to give everyone a heads up. Got off the phone with my guy today and he wanted me to know that he is in the middle of doing a write up with more pics AND part numbers for the hardware involved. He said he was going to post a thread with all the info next week. Just wanted everyone to know that I haven't forgotten about gettin everyone the part numbers as promised and that it will be done! Sorry for delay
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Really? Do tell.
can not remember 100% as this is old info, but the CLS is stiffer and better suited to the track then an E. Something to do with the steering rack, car sits lower and has wider tiers, bigger brake disc (030) package and an optional LSD. It also has the option of a speed shift upgrade from AMG for M1 & M2 modes similar to the SLR/ DTM style. If memo serves there was an update for the 2006 E55 which took the steering wrack from the cls, might need to double check this.

But to the best of my knowledge most of the hard core racers are the E guys. Most of the CLS guys are for the looks and don't care much about the track or 1/4 mile . I have raced a few E's, i have not seen any advantage in speed for them over the CLS
Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

Reviving an ancient thread to give everyone a heads up. Got off the phone with my guy today and he wanted me to know that he is in the middle of doing a write up with more pics AND part numbers for the hardware involved. He said he was going to post a thread with all the info next week. Just wanted everyone to know that I haven't forgotten about gettin everyone the part numbers as promised and that it will be done! Sorry for delay
So Benzo, it sounds like they are willing to share the information with the community at large? I know this was going down the path of this shop was going to support the switchover as a package only they offered. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
So Benzo, it sounds like they are willing to share the information with the community at large? I know this was going down the path of this shop was going to support the switchover as a package only they offered. Thanks!
Yeah. They decided that they were going to share with everyone for the sake of being fellow enthusiasts all wanting to improve our cars. I've been waitin for quite some time to get everyone the part numbers but my ***Edit***guy***Edit*** has been going through some times and he's finally back on track. I'm glad he got everything worked out and I'm glad everyone else will be able to see just how much of a difference coils make on this car!

( Read edit for this part...My car is runnin absolutely fantastic )

If I'm not mistaken, he will offer a package of everything or you can go out and try it out yourself as you will have all the part numbers and what not.

Last edited by BenzoBoi; 08-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by wsybert
What brake pad are you using? If you are experiencing fade and still have a firm pedal, then you will need pads, not fluid. If the pedal starts becoming soft or squishy, then it's the fluid. Try some track pads and keep the rotors you have. Try ATE SL6 fluid if you decide to change it.

I run Hawk HT10 pads on my track car, and love them. Once you bed them, they are fantastic. I am running a completely stock brake setup on my BMW and ATE Type 200 fluid, and I push it hard into corners. Never had fade or loss of pedal. I will say, that on my 911, when I first started going to the track, that even with a good setup, technique was important. I was braking way to early and heating up the system. Once I started braking more efficiently, that all changed. Sorry if this is old news to you, just trying to help.

Bill
Hey Bill!

Thanks for your input! You can always learn something when sharing your experiences with others. I appreciate it! I actually had a squishy brake pedal which I knew was the fluid so I had it swapped out. I was using ATE Blue at the time and swapped out to Castrol SRX. Haven't had any braking issues since. I am also currently running porterfield pads. I believe they are the RS4's? I forgot...

For a big car like mine with a "little" grunt down low, I figured braking a little earlier, straightening out the car and giving it hell would be the best line. I've been playing with different lines at the track and this one seems to work the best for me at the moment. I'm sure it all depends on the the individual driver's style and the track.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 AM

'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Hey Bill!

Thanks for your input! You can always learn something when sharing your experiences with others. I appreciate it! I actually had a squishy brake pedal which I knew was the fluid so I had it swapped out. I was using ATE Blue at the time and swapped out to Castrol SRX. Haven't had any braking issues since. I am also currently running porterfield pads. I believe they are the RS4's? I forgot...

For a big car like mine with a "little" grunt down low, I figured braking a little earlier, straightening out the car and giving it hell would be the best line. I've been playing with different lines at the track and this one seems to work the best for me at the moment. I'm sure it all depends on the the individual driver's style and the track.
Sounds like you are on the right track (no pun intended). Are you driving with an instructor? That helped me a lot. Especially with braking. Smooth is the key. Best of luck.
Bill
Old 08-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by wsybert
Sounds like you are on the right track (no pun intended). Are you driving with an instructor? That helped me a lot. Especially with braking. Smooth is the key. Best of luck.
Bill
I've had instructors at the Streets of Willow and Buttonwillow. Didn't have one when I was at Chuckwalla Raceway and Laguna Seca Raceway.

Completely agree that instructors help A LOT. I've also taken countless laps in friend's cars who clock some pretty decent times at BW and the streets.

Always learning.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

W221
As promised!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-part-3-a.html
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice!

For anyone who has an AirMatic failure (and doesn't have a warranty) this is the way to go....

Depending on the package price, it might be worth doing even BEFORE the failure occurs!

-G

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: KW V2 Coil-overs E55 (Build Thread)