W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Test drove e55, my impressions.+questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Test drove e55, my impressions.+questions!

Acceleration: I didn't feel 470 hp, i mean i didn't feel my body pushed into the seat....the car was really smooth...is it because it weights so much + it had really stiff suspension, or is it because the car had 93 km and wasn't braked in? also I switched between the suspension modes and didn't felt much of a difference it was very stiff in all of them ( i liked it..!!)

Manual comfort and sport modes were pretty cool too! liked the manual one it switches gears with no lag at all!

Handling was amazing! test drove m3 e46 not long time ago...and i think e55 handled as good as m3....

Brakes O brakes are just amazing the car stops instantly love the new braking system without any response i think it's a good feature.

Body roll amazed me as much as brakes handling and acceleration! There just wasn't any!

Tyres were 265 back 245 front.

ESP + all the computers were doing some amazing things without it i doubt any proffesional could handle so much power.

hmmmmm what else....that's about it i missed few things but i cannot remember it now lol so ask me questions if you wish!

Sorry for my bad english if i did any mistakes!

Love the car can't wait till my 04....

Last edited by BoBcanada; 05-14-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
My question: i thought there was a Winter mode? What will i do at the winter lol ? anybody? i noticed also that (not sure) in Comfort mode? My pedal was as stiff as it would be in s500 with Winter mode...is it so or it's just me?
Old 05-14-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E400
Originally posted by BoBcanada
My question: i thought there was a Winter mode? What will i do at the winter lol ? anybody? i noticed also that (not sure) in Comfort mode? My pedal was as stiff as it would be in s500 with Winter mode...is it so or it's just me?
Winter mode starts you off in 2nd gear if im not mistaken.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally posted by Meph-E-AMG
Winter mode starts you off in 2nd gear if im not mistaken.
Well that's correct it starts u with 2 gear plus ur pedal is getting stiffer! But there's no winter mode in E55k...and i'm looking forward driving it in the snow....i mean in the winter....
Old 05-14-2003, 10:48 PM

Questions:
Can you expand your comments about braking system? I've driven the E500, and comments in the car mags seem to be almost universally negative about the brakes in the E55 (which I assume are better than E500). Hard to learn to stop smoothly, or not? How 'soft' is the feel of the pedal, say, compared to M3?

You said you didn't really feel the G force push you back in the seat. Did you accelerate full bore? Was ESP on? Tire spin? Any comparison versus other cars, like M3, in this regard?

How would you rate seat comfort and grip?

Notice any squeaks or rattles?

Thanks for your opinions and comments.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:55 PM

..........and one more thing: has anyone yet figured out if the seat massage function comes only with drive dynamic seats, or is it included in standard AMG multicontour seat set up?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
amg55
In Australia at least, the massage function only comes with the dynamic drive seats.

There is no winter mode on the transmission, only Comfort, Sport and Manual.

The brakes are not as "communicative" as my other E55, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there was a problem with them. I will feel alot more confident braking in a wet turn with each of the brakes being individually computer controlled. If the cost of that technology is taking an extra 3 paces over the current E55 when braking from 60mph in a straight line in the dry, then thats a price I'm happy to pay.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

Based on my experience with E320 and E500 (loaners),brakes are different in feel then previous gen. and take some time to get used to them.If you are used to something and then get new technology making it obsolete it's natural that you have some resentment initially.
It's like when they replaced drum brakes with disc brakes,most people initially hated them too,scribes were complaining "lack of feel and too abrupt action" Sounds familiar?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:32 PM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
Im going to throw my opinion after driving my car for 1 day so far, the car brakes real good, My E46 braked a lil faster obviously for the weight difference, which is pretty close to 1,000 lbs between the 2. I also just recently sold a 1000HP Turbo Supra so I know what car pulls and which one not, the M3 was a fun ride but this E55 PULLS real NICE ! instant torque and you DO feel the push back, so far I have 170miles. Still in the process of breaking in so Ill keep everyone posted, Also as soon the break in is done Ill be renting the track with a few friends and see what it does in stock trim.

Without the ESP on there is wheel spin, however real nice, fun and goes forward real fast..doesnt stay in the same place spinning. ( It's all about knowing and getting used to the car)
Old 05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
We await your track results....
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 PM

I know you only have a few miles on your car and haven't really pushed it hard, but do you think the E55 would accelerate faster with or without ESP on. I read many magazines saying the ESP does a real good job in getting the E55 out of the gates. Without it, there is a good chance that you would be sitting at the start lighting up the tires. What do you think so far?

Thanks for your comments. It is very exciting to read about everybody's impressions.

amgB
Old 05-15-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by AMGB
I know you only have a few miles on your car and haven't really pushed it hard, but do you think the E55 would accelerate faster with or without ESP on. I read many magazines saying the ESP does a real good job in getting the E55 out of the gates. Without it, there is a good chance that you would be sitting at the start lighting up the tires. What do you think so far?

Thanks for your comments. It is very exciting to read about everybody's impressions.

amgB
You have pros and cons, it totally depends in the control that you have in the gas pedal really, but I personally would rather have it off in a race or track. That's for sure. The car loses a lot of time by the ESP while trying the car to spin.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:50 PM

How about at a street light with stock tires?
Would you want ESP on if a Corvette Z06 was next to you?

amgB
Old 05-15-2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by stephens
amg55

There is no winter mode on the transmission, only Comfort, Sport and Manual.

Winter mode was replaced by comfort mode on all 2003 mercedes models. It is essentially the same feature, only the name is different.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:28 AM

How about at a street light with stock tires?
Would you want ESP on if a Corvette Z06 was next to you?

amgB
Negative, you want to have it off and graduate nice and easy the gas pedal. I can't wait to see one @ a light or a Viper.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:24 AM

REALLY!!!, WoW, Thanks for your answer about ESP.

I am dying to get mine and try it out. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing your first encounter with a vette or viper. I always thought that having ESP on would guarantee that you will hit, lets say based on C&D 5-60, in 4.8 seconds. That would mean that the vette and viper would have to hit near perfect launch to beat you. And 99% of the drivers can't do that based on the vette and viper's 5-60 number.

amgB
Old 05-17-2003, 11:25 AM

REALLY!!!, WoW, Thanks for your answer about ESP.

I am dying to get mine and try it out. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing your first encounter with a vette or viper. I always thought that having ESP on would guarantee that you will hit, lets say based on C&D 5-60, in 4.8 seconds. That would mean that the vette and viper would have to hit near perfect launch to beat you. And 99% of the drivers can't do that based on the vette and viper's 5-60 number.

amgB
I got my first encounter with a Mustang last night...from the line @ a traffic light killed him so bad, then he was like lets go from a roll and I was like when you go Ill go..( giving him the hit) OMG I flew by him like he was standing still, it was funny...they were staring at the car..asking ..is that a V12? Im like NO, look at what it says there..:-) and some girls in a bimmer right behind me laughing at the Mustang guys...it was soo fun ! ...Im telling you people this car was made to have fun daily not to drive it one a month..
Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 AM

What a story! Cool! From the light, did you leave ESP on or off? Did you brake torque at all? Or did you just hit the pedal?

amgB
Cool story
Old 05-18-2003, 08:03 AM

What a story! Cool! From the light, did you leave ESP on or off? Did you brake torque at all? Or did you just hit the pedal?

amgB
Cool story
ESP OFF, then nice and easy take off...Ill gave him the hit..but slightly..( I am a pro in the streets here ) So I know how to be tricky... then as soon the E55 shifted to 2nd I was waving bye bye...and the people right next to me laughing their *** off..it was fun, and more to come today !
Old 05-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Test drove e55, my impressions.+questions!

Originally posted by BoBcanada
Acceleration: I didn't feel 470 hp, i mean i didn't feel my body pushed into the seat....the car was really smooth...is it because it weights so much + it had really stiff suspension, or is it because the car had 93 km and wasn't braked in?
Well, one thing about this cars is that the acceleration is very linear.

When I compare the 13.12 on the E55 vs the 13.00 on a 99 Vette.....there is no comparison. The vette will suck you into the seats, you can barely raise your head from the head rest and sound is more dramatic, on the other hand the E55 is quiet and smooth, you can feel some punch into your seat, but not as dramatic.

I bet that new E55 is the same, everything is in armony so acceleration is there but it is very smooth.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by benznut
Winter mode was replaced by comfort mode on all 2003 mercedes models. It is essentially the same feature, only the name is different.
Not all of them. Our SL still has the S/W button.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:18 AM

03E55AMG,

Are you saying that the Mustang stayed with you until 1st gear? If my memory is correct, 1st gear is about 48 mph? I don't have my magazines with me right now? And then after the E55 shifted, then you started pulling away?

amgB
Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 AM

03E55AMG,

Are you saying that the Mustang stayed with you until 1st gear? If my memory is correct, 1st gear is about 48 mph? I don't have my magazines with me right now? And then after the E55 shifted, then you started pulling away?

amgB
If you re read again, I gave him the HIT, meaning when he took off, then I took off behind him, so you know obviously that in 1st gear will be in front ( Mustang) due that I gave him advantage of taking off first.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by 03E55AMG
If you re read again, I gave him the HIT, meaning when he took off, then I took off behind him, so you know obviously that in 1st gear will be in front ( Mustang) due that I gave him advantage of taking off first.
And I bet that was a lot of fun! Good for you