Sponsored by:

911 P-Turbo Ruf 550 or Nissan GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
Originally Posted by abrim
I definitely agree with that, there are a lot on Cali, and yeah the asian tuner market is huge out there, and there are also a lot in Dallas, but that might just be because I hang out with certain crowds where quite a few friends have them, so they have lost their rarity value to me.

Yeah the R33 / R34 bodystyle is awesome! I do love seeing them!
Yeah, I love the R34's really.

In Florida I only see about one R35 on the street every 1-2 months or so. Of course if I went to car meets I'd probably see a lot more.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
Originally Posted by taurran
I agree. That's exactly what it is.

With all the electronics, the everyday man can get supercar performance out of it without even really knowing how to drive.
Exactly! I still absolutely love driving it though, and that center screen is badass with all the stuff, but yeah it's an extremely forgiving car, you can do the stupidest things in it and it will save your *** every time haha
Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
On the sixth day he made the Switzer P800 kit... And on the seventh day he rested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTm8alJ4bFM

I also think somewhere around the 3rd or 4th day he made crazy rich Russians.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I might be a little biased (or a lot biased) in favor of the GT-R given that I have one in my garage. The GT-R is a car with amazing performance capabilities. With just a mid-pipe, generic Cobb A/P tune and HKS drop-in filters, my car was able to post on my vbox: 0-60: 3.30s, 0-100: 7.11s and 1/4m: 11.30 @ 126.7mph (all done out on a private road...without using launch control or trying to brake torque the launch) and averaging the last 66' of the run so the trap would have been 127.7mph using the GPS trap speed as magazine's tests use.

In 2005, Road & Track tested a Ruf R Turbo (590hp). It ran the 1/4 mile in 11.5 @ 126.5mph. I hate to use magazine times for comparison, but there is really no real world data out there for Ruf 550s. Be that as it may, that is very close to my GT-R's times, but that was a Ruf model with 40 additional hp over the Ruf 550. So if straight line speed is your main criteria, a lightly modified GT-R (like mine) should be a bit quicker than a Ruf 550...especially with GT-R's lightning quick gearbox.

Even in the handling department, a 997.2 Turbo S could not post a better time at VIR in C&D's Lightning Lap than a GT-R (had a 2 second advantage). I am not sure the Ruf 550's suspension mods are going to yield better performance than either a GT-R or a 997.2 Turbo S.

That would leave the intangibles. The Ruf 550 is a great looking car and Ruf does have a sparkling reputation for building incredibly detailed and engineered vehicles. It is definitely a very special car.

The GT-R is also a special car....and it does have many adoring fans. I was actually surprised by how much adulation/attention this car gets. I have even had a soccer mom whip out her cell phone to taking some pics/videos of the car on the highway (or maybe it was just me that she was filming...). Anyway, I don't buy cars based on how other people react to it...I buy them based on how the car performs and how it satisfies my particular needs.

Tom

Last edited by TMC M5; 04-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
I think there's something about Godzilla and the mystique about it, most likely due to the fact that you weren't able to legally import one to america for well over a decade.
Not entirely true... friend of mine owns one that's 100% legal, with no hoops to jump through when it comes to getting inspection and registration every year.

But he's lucky.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
Did the GT-R tranny issues get fixed? Did they stop voiding your warranty for pushing the magic button?

A PCA instructor in my region has a black one and had to pay out of pocket for his transmission, and he never launched it. Just took the guardian angel system off on the track, obviously. He was pretty irate.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Did the GT-R tranny issues get fixed? Did they stop voiding your warranty for pushing the magic button?

A PCA instructor in my region has a black one and had to pay out of pocket for his transmission, and he never launched it. Just took the guardian angel system off on the track, obviously. He was pretty irate.
Nissan basically reflashed the launch control system so that you didn't have to take traction control (VDC) off to use it. They also lowered the RPM by about 1,500 on the launch control. So you can use launch control w/o voiding the warranty. However, if you take VDC off and something breaks in the tranny while the VDC is off, they will likely not honor the transmission warranty. There is an exception to the VDC off....if you are stuck in mud or snow....you can still be covered if you broke something.

Also, there have been some work arounds on fixing the transmission. It is usually a 1st gear issue when the transmission breaks. So they are able to replace first gear instead of the whole transmission. It is still expensive at around $5K...but the alternative is closer to $25K for a full replacement...

Tom
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
Not entirely true... friend of mine owns one that's 100% legal, with no hoops to jump through when it comes to getting inspection and registration every year.

But he's lucky.
I know a few people with R33's, but they had to order it through a company that exported it in pieces before reassembling it somewhere offshore int he Caribbean and importing it here as a "kit" car.

Something like that.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM

2015 E63S 4Matic
I know a few people with R33's, but they had to order it through a company that exported it in pieces before reassembling it somewhere offshore int he Caribbean and importing it here as a "kit" car.

Something like that.
His isn't a Motorex car. His was one of XX legally imported. To get around emissions and glass [since they don't have the crash impact glass specs that we require in the states, at least the R33 didnt] he registered it in Mississippi for a year and then moved it to Texas. I'm sure there are far more eloquent ways to put it but I don't have the details. Car is absolutely sick though.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by tgoss
On the sixth day he made the Switzer P800 kit... And on the seventh day he rested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTm8alJ4bFM

I also think somewhere around the 3rd or 4th day he made crazy rich Russians.

I don't doubt that car is quick and fast, but that's a really poorly ridden motorcycle.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
GTR!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Thanks for all the feedback and replies...

Here is a link to the Ruf I'm trying to deal on at the moment.
http://boardwalkporsche.com/Dallas/F...r-Car/6179946/

If anyone trys any funny stuff, I know where to find you.

As for GTR shopping, the warranty investigation seems like a sticky situation. I would need to investigate each private sellers warranty and I'm not sure how to do that?? Perhaps find a Nissan contact who will look up their VIN for me. There aren't many used GTR's on dealers lots hence my weariness of private sellers. I am a huge fan of warranties and I'd be gambling w/ this P-car. I'm going to try and fly out and drive it. Trying to handle my trade in as also an issue.

I may try and have the car sent to Ruf in Tx to fine tooth comb it!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM

2005 E55 AMG
GT-R, then get a vanity plate 'GOJIRRA' LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Roseylv
Thanks for all the feedback and replies...

Here is a link to the Ruf I'm trying to deal on at the moment.
http://boardwalkporsche.com/Dallas/F...r-Car/6179946/

If anyone trys any funny stuff, I know where to find you.

As for GTR shopping, the warranty investigation seems like a sticky situation. I would need to investigate each private sellers warranty and I'm not sure how to do that?? Perhaps find a Nissan contact who will look up their VIN for me. There aren't many used GTR's on dealers lots hence my weariness of private sellers. I am a huge fan of warranties and I'd be gambling w/ this P-car. I'm going to try and fly out and drive it. Trying to handle my trade in as also an issue.

I may try and have the car sent to Ruf in Tx to fine tooth comb it!
The Ruf you are looking at has a Tiptronic transmission. Most Tiptronic 911 Turbos sell for much less than the 6 speed manuals....so what might seem like a bargain now...becomes a headache later when you are trying to sell the car. The tiptronic is a 5 speed automatic....a very quick automatic...but still a true automatic car. It is certainly not comparable performance-wise to the dual clutch transmission in the GT-R. I prefer the GT-R's paddle shifters behind the steering wheel to the Tiptronic's rocker switches on the steering wheel.

Also, the Ruf doesn't appear to have a nav system... not necessarily a deal killer for most...but the nav system and bluetooth in a newer car like the GT-R is actually nice to have and use.

Tom
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
many good points -- maybe i will switch my vote to GTR.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
My vote goes for the GT-R.. The 996 just seem way too common and outdated..
Old 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM

E55 AMG, C32 AMG
GTR!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM

w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by TMC M5
The Ruf you are looking at has a Tiptronic transmission. Most Tiptronic 911 Turbos sell for much less than the 6 speed manuals....so what might seem like a bargain now...becomes a headache later when you are trying to sell the car. The tiptronic is a 5 speed automatic....a very quick automatic...but still a true automatic car. It is certainly not comparable performance-wise to the dual clutch transmission in the GT-R. I prefer the GT-R's paddle shifters behind the steering wheel to the Tiptronic's rocker switches on the steering wheel.

Also, the Ruf doesn't appear to have a nav system... not necessarily a deal killer for most...but the nav system and bluetooth in a newer car like the GT-R is actually nice to have and use.

Tom
Very good points indeed. My reasoning behind the automatic is that I live in West Los Angeles and couldn't manage my commute w/ a manual transmission, hence my obsession w/ AMG's. As for the navi, I would surely have some spare coins left over to invest in a custom navi /display while moving the a/c controls to the bottom shelf as many P-turbo owners have done.
GTR is looking like the pure favorite although I'm still keeping the Ruf in the mix. The warranty will probably nudge towards the GTR as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
As much as I love the new GT-R's and what you could do to them...

I'd have to go with the RUF. They are absolute beasts AND they are a beauty!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by glima
I would go GTR. Check out www.Amsperformance.com. Look at the Alpha cars they have. Nothing will be able to keep up with you.
+1, saw AMS's black alpha 9 GTR in one of my Mags...... pure insanity
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
As much as I love the new GT-R's and what you could do to them...

I'd have to go with the RUF. They are absolute beasts AND they are a beauty!!!
yeaa, but AMS took a GTR, and for only $110,000, made it keep up with a $2,000,000 Bugatti Veyron up to 130MPH.... I just cant believe they got that kind of power out of a V6...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Ten year old technology versus absolute cutting edge technology....that choice would be a no brainer for me.

Did you know that Nissan has an upgrade program for all 2009-2011 cars...you can have the dealer bring the car up to 2012 specs: 0-60 in 2.85s and the 1/4 in 11.1, all with a warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 PM
BTT

2005 E55 K1, 1967 Chevy truck LS 408 turbo 650whp, Range Rover Sport,
I owned a 2002 ruf 550 for about a year. I miss it everyday. Such a fun great looking car. I prefer the looks of the Ruf over the GTR but I am sure the GTR would be a blast to drive. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 AM

w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by TMC M5

Tom
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Ten year old technology versus absolute cutting edge technology....that choice would be a no brainer for me.

Did you know that Nissan has an upgrade program for all 2009-2011 cars...you can have the dealer bring the car up to 2012 specs: 0-60 in 2.85s and the 1/4 in 11.1, all with a warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
wait wait...what?
Are you referring to just a re-flash and update of the ecu? That is interesting. Can anyone lead me to a respected GTR message board? TIA
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM

w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by BTT
I owned a 2002 ruf 550 for about a year. I miss it everyday. Such a fun great looking car. I prefer the looks of the Ruf over the GTR but I am sure the GTR would be a blast to drive. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the feedback!
What are your thoughts on reliability? Any quirky malfunctions. Why did you unload your ruf?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 P-Turbo Ruf 550 or Nissan GTR