W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How do you drain your oil?
Using suction to suck the oil out thru the dipstick?
20.00%
Draining the rear oil pan, using the drain bolt?
8.57%
Draining the rear and front oil pan, using the drain bolt?
62.86%
Draining the rear, front oil pans, and oil cooler, using the drain bolts?
8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Draining Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
How'd this turn into Bob the Oil Guy forums?

Most of the automotive world seems to agree with Oliverk and GT-ER, including myself. Of course I do UOAs at each change to determine my own OCIs. And the lab doesn't do a smell and taste test, but an actual TBN comparison to the virgin oil. imho, it's the best way to monitor oil and figure out OCIs based on your own environment. But what do I know? And the aviation industry probably doesn't know anything either (the main clients for UOAs.)

Each to their own, but this argument by certain cavemen will go on until we're in all in electric cars. And then it'll be about when to change the carbon brushes, lol.

fwiw, this is from an oil company (that would prefer you actually buy more oil): "Against conventional wisdom, engine wear decreases as oil ages to a certain extent, which means that changing your oil more frequently actually causes engine wear; these findings were substantiated by studies conducted by the auto manufacturers and petroleum companies, leading to increased drain intervals"

Anyway, do what makes you psychologically feel better. It's all good.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Originally Posted by taurran
15k? Why the hell would you have a hand forced induction engine like this and cheap out by running it into the dirt with dirty oil? I guarantee a motor with synthetic changed every 5k miles will run longer and with less issues than one with oil changed every 15k miles.
Based on your vast knowledge of engines and oil, and the extensive testing you have completed, I am sure you are correct. You are basing your opinion on what? These engines are hand built. So what. Oil serves the same purpose in this engine as it does every other one.

First of all, it's hardly a placebo.
Seriously? How so? Oil lubricates your engine, how will it smooth out its operation? I assume after you wash your car, after it has been dirty for a long time, it runs smoother too. I am with Oliverk on this one.

I've seen rod bearings spin and even seize causing engine failure on a number of cars not necessarily due to the type or quality of the oil, but due to not being diligent with checking oil levels and the quality and/or conditions of the oil (thinning due to fuel leaks, etc).
I 've seen them do the same thing for other reasons. So?
Checking oil levels, and the condition of your car, and doing maintenance, is all expected for the car to last a long time. I don' think anyone would argue that.

I'm right. You're wrong. That's all there is to it.
Of course.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I'm right. You're wrong. That's all there is to it.

Seriously? LOL.